Saturday, August 31, 2013

Mid Afternoon Thread 'cause pBMb said the old one was full!



59 comments:

  1. Greethgs from 37,000 feet, en route to Miami, thence to Montevideo. Reading today's WSJ. One article states that Israel urged Obama to strike Syria, basically to warn off Hizballah from using WMD against them. Anyone seen anything else about this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have seen or heard that, but my first-guess is that such wouldn't work on Hezbollah unless it was a massive, ball-busting strike -- something which would leave Syria's Regime reeling.

      Delete
  2. At insty:

    JAMES TARANTO: Here’s a counterfactual: If President McCain were seeking authorization to use force against Syria, how would Sen. Obama vote? Er, “present?”

    3
    Posted at 4:30 pm by Glenn Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also at Insty:
    THE MOST SURPRISING THINGS ABOUT AMERICA, according to an Indian international student. “Strong ethics — everyone has a lot of integrity. If someone cannot submit their completed assignment in time, they will turn in the assignment incomplete rather than asking for answers at the last minute. People take pride in their hard work and usually do not cheat. This is different from students from India and China as well as back home in India, where everyone collaborates to the extent that it can be categorized as cheating.”

    Plus: “An almost-classless society: I’ve noticed that most Americans roughly have the same standard of living. Everybody has access to ample food, everybody shops at the same supermarkets, malls, stores, etc. I’ve seen plumbers, construction workers and janitors driving their own sedans, which was quite difficult for me to digest at first since I came from a country where construction workers and plumbers lived hand to mouth.”

    14
    Posted at 2:38 pm by Glenn Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody who missed out on liberal indoctrination!

      Delete
    2. It can be very, ummm, difficult to convince someone who has seen true poverty and discrimination that America suffers from poverty or discrimination.

      Delete
  4. From the link of the previous post:

    Chaturvedi ended his post with a link to a video of "America F--- Yeah" from the movie "Team America."

    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-weirdest-things-about-america-2013-8#ixzz2daL9iZFg

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, basically we now know that even Barky O'Barkbarks Red lines come with expiration dates... Color me shocked... Oh... wait... was that a racist thing to say?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The contemporary Left, ladies and gentlemen. Marvel.

    https://soundcloud.com/viralread/interview-with-pascal-robert

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Plus: “An almost-classless society:

    It occurred to me several years ago that my secretary and I have the same health care plan, shop at the same supermarket, etc. Sure, my car is "nicer", but hers does all the basic things mine does. In how many other countries in the world would this be true?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steyn:
    http://www.nationalreview.com/article/357287/accidental-war-mark-steyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, now comes the portion of my business trips when I contemplate the idea of just blowing it off and staying in South Beach for the week...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb: The Left can say what they want about Bush, but at least we knew what Iraq was ABOUT, and what the objective was. This clusterfarq? It's just surreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2003 dictator who gassed his own people was the leader of the Baath Party of Iraq. The 2013 dictator who gassed his own people is the leader of the Baath Party of Syria. Whole other ball of wax.

      Delete
    2. The least a Baath Party can do is provide its people with little stones shaped like cakes of soap.

      /sincere apologies to my Jewish comrades - is not exactly a funny subject, however appropriate

      Delete
    3. OR:

      I was replying to Deb's immediate prior, re Saddam and Bashar gassing their own people.

      Admittedly a poor reference to the Nazi death camp gassing showers, where those going to them were given "soap".

      Delete
  11. RE: the prior thread.

    Past 200 or so comments, I couldn't see new ones being posted. No sign of a link to a second page. Weird.

    The comment-count tally was incrementing, but the comments weren't being shown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were trying to get rid of you,

      OH HALLELUJAH, now "reply" works!

      Delete
    2. Gahhhh! HE'S FOLLOWING ME!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Procedure for emptying your internet cache.

      Tonight when you log off unplug your internet connection and place one end in a bucket to drain the cache.

      Delete
    4. I like the way you wiggle while you post.

      /

      Delete
    5. If I unplug from the wall, and put the end of the cable in a bucket, I'll drain the desktop's cache.

      If I unplug from the desktop and run a CAT5 extension out into the storm drain, you guys will be in a heap of trouble.

      Delete
    6. Oh cr*p ... yeah, that'd put Miley Cyrus in our north Dallas storm drain!

      Delete
  12. But i'm not... Givin' in, an inch, to fear
    'Cause I've missed myself [?] this year
    Yes I feel
    Like I owe it
    To someone..

    [listening to CSNY's "Deja Vu", somewhere over South Carolina-ish]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leave us...

    Helpless, helpless helllpless

    Baby, can you hear me now?

    The chains have all been tied across the door

    Baby, can you sing with me somehow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better keep your eye on those wings, they might be falling off or sumpin ha

      Delete
    2. (someone has had several more glasses of wine)
      //// *grin*

      Delete
    3. When he starts describing scenes from The Carousel we'll know ha

      Delete
    4. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

      You done crossed a red line, r' sumthin'!

      Delete
    5. What was the problem you ran into replying? That worked from the get go on this Ipad

      Delete
    6. I guess I had to log in to google account in another window first, I'd thought this page would give me a prompt to do so, but no.

      Delete
    7. Up in the very upper right side of the page is a link where can log in too

      Delete
  14. But srsly; doesn't "Our House" sum up everything everyone looks for in a committed relationship?

    And doesn't "Four + Twenty" summarize everything one fears about winding up alone instead?

    This is such a great album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Wooden Ships describes the state of America after O's done with it too

      Delete
  15. From:CONSENSUS, THEN ABOUT-FACE FROM OBAMA ON SYRIA

    All that changed Friday night, when Obama left the West Wing with his chief of staff, Denis McDonough. Under cloudy skies and temperatures nearing 90 degrees, the two walked on the White House grounds for the better part of an hour, and Obama confided in his adviser that he had changed his mind. He laid out an idea to ask Congress to approve a strike

    I think that Obama saw how he was uniting the right and the left in opposition to him on this Syria disaster. I think that the vote will go against him in large numbers in a very bipartisan way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obama can say that congress blocked him, but I don't think that he will be able to blame Republicans since it won't be a partisan vote.

      Delete
    2. He'll say it anyway, and millions of LIV's will believe him. These same people believe the "Republican-controlled Congress" blocked all Obama's awesome ideas in 2009-2010.

      Delete
    3. True enough.
      Arguing with the LIVs is like arguing with the wind.

      Delete
    4. Chrissie will be on with the Rebublican's obstructionist meme big time a

      Delete
    5. If I try to add a word in a comment all I ca do is erase aaarrrrgggg

      Delete
    6. Touch the screen where you want to add a word. That may help.

      Delete
    7. I touch the screen of my big LED monitor and I hear a giggle.

      Whotth'hell's going on inside there???!":??!?

      Delete
  16. For some odd reason, Hillary isn't talking much about Syria. Gosh, I wonder why not?

    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100233268/why-a-nervous-hillary-clinton-is-remarkably-silent-on-syria/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary is on-record as calling Bashar a "Reformer".

      His only "reform" act was freeing some political prisoners in response to the "Damascus Spring" demonstrations in 2000. (A push by Syrian intellectuals for reform, which was soon violently repressed by Maher Assad's Republican Guard.)

      Bill Clinton is smart enough to know that "reformer" is a BS label when applied to Bashar Assad. Hilary might be too.

      Bashar as "reformer" is PR blather, in part concocted by his wife. (Last year, a momentous puff-piece about her in one of the American MSM organs. IIRC, she's boasted of being the "real ruler/dictator" of Syria.)

      Delete
  17. Quik drive-by -- this is of great interest:

    Stories of rebel responsibility for gas attacks might well be deliberate falsehoods

    I haven't studied this yet, but PJM's Johnson has been reliable in the past.

    I do not know how this affects Walid Shoebat's column on the subject, where he categorically blames Sunni Jihadists for the east Damascus "gas attack." (But there was a pungent stench re that photo Shoebat posted, showing an alleged Saudi chemical agent label.)

    Take it as extremely interesting, but raw, data.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Later. ... Tomorrow.

    OR, have a good remainder of the flight to Uruguay.

    If you ever get down to Myuguay, give me a call.

    *grin* Good night, all

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh crap that was Gak ducks runs eep eep eep

    ReplyDelete

By submitting your comments, you agree that you alone are responsible for their content. We reserve the right to remove comments we deem offensive or inappropriate, at our discretion. Disparaging remarks about other online communities, or their members, should be made elsewhere if you are so inclined. Finally, comments made below will be subject to public viewing.