Thursday, October 29, 2009

C2 Afternoon News


Cash for Clunkers cost taxpayers $24,000 per real sale

The Cash for Clunkers program provided federal subsidies of up to $4500 for those car owners willing to buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle in exchange for certain classes of gas guzzlers. In all, the C4C program generated over 690,000 sales in the few weeks that it ran, with an average subsidy of $4,348 per sale. How many of these, though, would have bought a new car in the near future anyway? According to a new study by Edmonds, an industry analyst, only 125,000 of these sales would have not been made without C4C — which brings the subsidy to about $24,000 per actual successful incentive (via Snapped Shot).

KAUS: Anita Dunn's Alibi - The Case of the Confusing Chinese?

Obama Communications Director Anita Dunn says she was only cribbing from Lee Atwater when she approvingly quoted from Mao Tse-Tung in a graduation speech. ... Funny thing, though. I can't find a place where Atwater cited Mao. I can find lots of places where Atwater referenced Sun Tzu, whose Art of War he supposedly carried around in dog eared form. ... Hmmm ....

Document Dump: 'Pelosicare' links here

Feds: Son of slain Michigan Islamic leader arrested

DETROIT – Authorities captured the son of the slain leader of a radical Detroit-area Islamic group in Canada on Thursday, a day after the FBI arrested several members and a raid at a suburban warehouse ended in gunfire.

The FBI asked for the public's help in catching two of the 11 suspects in the case still at large, and they emphasized that the group, a faction of the radical U.S. Sunni Islamic group Ummah, held beliefs that were not at all representative of mainstream Islam.

"Any Muslim who took a look at what these people believed would not recognize this as the Muslim faith," Andrew Arena, the head of the FBI in Detroit.

121 comments:

  1. You're on a roll today, Bare! Are you done reading that healthcare bill already? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obama Communications Director Anita Dunn says she was only cribbing from Lee Atwater when she approvingly quoted from Mao Tse-Tung in a graduation speech. ... Funny thing, though. I can't find a place where Atwater cited Mao.

    Kaus must be mistaken, I saw Dunn's Atwater attribution cited as cold, hard, objective FACT at, um, another blog.

    /whistling innocently

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool coffee cup!

    Where can I buy one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running Bare said...

    FIRST!


    Gotta be some perks to running the site:))) You are in fine form today. I hope we get to see more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're on a roll today, Bare! Are you done reading that healthcare bill already? ; )

    I have an executive summary....

    We're Screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're on a roll today, Bare! Are you done reading that healthcare bill already? ; )



    I read the Cliff Notes version.

    Page 1: Bend Over

    Page 2: Spread Cheeks like Goatse dude

    Page 3: Wait for it... waaaaait for it

    Page 4: Pretend you like it

    Page 5: Beg for more

    The End.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DETROIT – Authorities captured the son of the slain leader of a radical Detroit-area Islamic group in Canada on Thursday, a day after the FBI arrested several members and a raid at a suburban warehouse ended in gunfire.

    Good for the FBI.

    I do hope things don't get too... interesting... in certain parts of Detroit tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope things don't get too... interesting... in certain parts of Detroit tonight.

    Ah yes. Devil's Night or whatever the hell they call that tradition of burning down their city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Give it up Anita baby.

    Two of my favorites...
    who I always turn to....


    Marxists, Maoists, and Gramsician whores...

    OH MY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OR said;"Kaus must be mistaken, I saw Dunn's Atwater attribution cited as cold, hard, objective FACT at, um, another blog."

    Yep, saw that. Boy, were we punked on that one, huh?

    /I guess not

    ReplyDelete
  11. RB,

    Page 6: Pay through the nose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. JCM, we have a Cafe Press store set up. There will be a link on the "Donate" page at the new place...first, I need to buy a cup and make sure the image isn't clipped (though it shouldn't be; I did the graphic to their specifications).

    As soon as I've done that I'll link you up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Occasional Reader said...
    cold, hard, objective FACT at, um, another blog.

    /whistling innocently


    Malleable things, those facts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. (In fact, I'll go buy one from myself right now. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. (adding 'neo-' to the beginning of anything makes it sound eeeeevil)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I refuse to buy one unless it makes fish cry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I knew NEOPETS were were evil.

    /true Pokemon believer

    /

    ReplyDelete
  18. I refuse to buy one unless it makes fish cry.

    Tell ya all what - for every cup that gets bought, I will personally walk out side to the storm drain, and poor a quart of oil down it, AND if you ACT NOW! I will, absolutely free, also toss in there one of those plastic rings that hold six-packs together.

    Huh? Huh? That's an offer you CAN'T BEAT WITH A STICK!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That cup/mug is not EVIL enough.

    Fill it with Starbucks........

    ReplyDelete
  20. I refuse to buy one unless it makes fish cry.

    Reminds me; the outdoorsy sports stores are currently pushing the notion that these new, stainless-steel water bottles are much "greener" than the traditional plastic ones. Yet, their ad campaigns to make you plunk down cash for the new product invariably begin, "throw out your plastic water bottle!". Um... then it goes into a landfill, and... ahhh, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made a Kon-Trashi out of my plastic water bottles.

    Unfortunately, it got stuck in the Great Pacific Trash Floater anyway.

    Don't worry, I was able to walk home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Spenser:

    Boy, were we punked on that one, huh?

    Yep! And I recall how the talking point spun on a dime from "well, of course she cited Mao, that just means she's well-read! Not like those dumb, ignorant Republicans" to "she 'got' the line from a [dumb, ignorant, and conveniently dead] Republican!", with no apparent sign of cognitive dissonance.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have found that you can beat practically ANYTHING with a stick.

    YMMV. As will your results.

    ReplyDelete
  24. There are certain talking-point distribution sites that I no longer visit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Running Bare said...
    (adding 'neo-' to the beginning of anything makes it sound eeeeevil)


    Just as adding the adjective "Brazilian" makes it sound sexy, and the adjective "Swedish" makes it sound perverted.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OR - The lining of those hip new bottles contain the same chemical that people are trying to ditch with their plastic. Not sure if that problem has been addressed yet. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My WW2 stainless canteen still works fine.

    ReplyDelete
  28. For instance, even if that "Erector Set" you buy for your kid is made in Sweden, I highly recommend NOT calling it a "Swedish Erector Set".

    See how that works?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I read the Cliff Notes version.

    Page 1: Bend Over

    Page 2: Spread Cheeks like Goatse dude

    Page 3: Wait for it... waaaaait for it

    Page 4: Pretend you like it

    Page 5: Beg for more

    The End.


    You left out the 40-grit condom and lack of lubricant.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So, yeah, looks like CC is gonna test drive the Brazilian Swedish C2 Neo-cups.

    ReplyDelete
  31. OR: Why not? Like the "jet set," couldn't one call the Swedish Bikini Team a "Swedish Erector Set?"

    ReplyDelete
  32. My WW2 stainless canteen still works fine.

    Rust stains on your teeth must be a problem.......

    ReplyDelete
  33. OTOH, "Naked Lust in Sinful Sweden" was just the Benny Hill version of "Little Bo Peep".

    /Ve kannot looken fur die Scheepen in der rainen

    ReplyDelete
  34. 40-grit condom

    Marketed as "stimulus."

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good for the FBI.

    I do hope things don't get too... interesting... in certain parts of Detroit tonight.


    Who could possibly tell the difference? Especially since Halloween falls on a Saturday, this year?

    ReplyDelete
  36. JCM said...

    Rust stains on your teeth must be a problem.......

    There is an "edge" to the water, but I have very good blood iron.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I made a Kon-Trashi out of my plastic water bottles.

    Hey, Lurleen! I sez we name our next she-brood "Kon-Trashi". Krystal Beth always sez she wants a l'il sister anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  38. And of course, if you aren't productive enough, they don't bother with step 1 - bend over;
    they tell you to go right to step 6, the end.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You left out the 40-grit condom and lack of lubricant.


    No, the Lube Amendment was cut out of the bill, and as for the birth control, you just know they are gonna knock us up, give us an abortion, and then make us rub it on our skin.

    Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  40. /Ve kannot looken fur die Scheepen in der rainen

    Ha! I remember that skit. (From like, ah, 30 years ago... sigh)

    "Vat can ve do in der rainen?"

    "Frodiyurken?" [sp?]

    "Ja, frodiyurken!"

    ReplyDelete
  41. Whenever the British try to get off pretending they're the cultured, enlightened Greek tutors to our brash, powerful, yet boorish Rome, we need only mention "Benny Hill" to get 'em to settle down again.

    ReplyDelete
  42. We know that Anita Dunn is a Mao supporter. What does she and Robert Bauer have in common? Wait. First. Who is Robert Bauer? A laywer about to become a part of Obama's admin.

    To answer the first question. Dunn and Bauer are married.

    ReplyDelete
  43. ATTENTION IN THE ROOM!

    Pentagon releases names of slain Fort Lewis soldiers

    Roadside bombs killed eight U.S. troops in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday. The soldiers were members of a Fort Lewis Stryker Brigade.


    • Staff Sgt. Luis M. Gonzalez, 27, of South Ozone Park, N.Y.

    • Sgt. Fernando Delarosa, 24, of Alamo, Texas.

    • Sgt. Dale R. Griffin, 29, of Terre Haute, Ind.

    • Sgt. Issac B. Jackson, 27, of Plattsburg, Mo.

    • Sgt. Patrick O. Williamson, 24, of Broussard, La.

    • Spc. Jared D. Stanker, 22, of Evergreen Park, Ill.

    • Pfc. Christopher I. Walz, 25, of Vancouver, Wash.

    It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain - that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Dunn and Bauer are married.

    Little Red Kama Sutra.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Little Red Kama Sutra.


    Boom chicka Mao Mao...

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hey gak, in what capacity is Bauer poised to join the administration?

    ReplyDelete
  47. So, yeah, looks like CC is gonna test drive the Brazilian Swedish C2 Neo-cups.

    I'm lost! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  48. JCM: Thanks for the link. Head is bowed.

    One thing I wonder; where they dismounted from the Strykers when they were hit? I remember reaganite (back in the old days) opining that he thought the Stryker had even better blast protection for those inside than did an Abrams.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I always thought that 'Dolorous Stroke' would be a kick ass band name.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Corre∫pondence Committee said...
    Hey gak, in what capacity is Bauer poised to join the administration?

    Bob Bauer, Lawyer to Obama and Democratic Party, Eyed as New White House Counsel
    Fox News ^ | October 23, 2009 | Major Garrett
    Posted on October 23, 2009 12:35:11 PM CDT by khnyny

    Robert (Bob) Bauer, the top lawyer for the Democratic National Committee and personal lawyer to President Obama and his chief campaign counsel, is emerging as the top candidate to replace Greg Craig as White House Counsel, Fox News has learned.

    Senior White House officials declined to comment on Bauer's future status with the White House. But Democrats close to the situation said Bauer is under serious consideration as Craig's replacement. Craig is expected to leave the White House by year's end - if not sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gak:

    Re: Craig, another one bites the bus

    ReplyDelete
  52. Dunn is a liar. She did not quote or refer to Lee Attwater. She directly quoted Mao, referred to him as one of her two favourite political philosophers, and described the circumstances in which he said the quote she used. This was no passing refernce to some second hand quote.

    Anita Dunn is lying.

    ReplyDelete
  53. OR,

    The attack that killed the 8 was a combined attacked, IED then an ambush. It was large well coordinated attack.

    I haven't seen any action reports as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Kenneth:

    She did not quote or refer to Lee Attwater.

    No, but since she claimed (after the fact, once the shitstorm broke) that she "got" the quote from Atwater (whatever the hell that means)... well, she certainly wouldn't, you know, lie or anything, while trying to simultaneously smear a prominent Republican who's conveniently dead and therefore incapable of defending himself... would she? Of course not! So it must be true. And therefore, the quote was perfectly okay, and move along now, there's nothing to see here.

    /so goes the "reasoning" in some quarters, anyway

    ReplyDelete
  55. Who is making these IED's? Was it an armor piercing sharped charge IED? Can the Taliban make those? In Iraq, the shaped charge IED's were made in Iran and smuggled across the border. Are the Iranians supplying them to the Taliban now?

    ReplyDelete
  56. Kenneth, you're quite right. But remember, no one cares. The "right" got upset (hysterical), therefore Dunn is perfectly free to spin, lie, flatter and face.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Lots of people have quoted Mao. I promise you, Atwater never called Mao his favourite philosopher. Dunn said that. And now she's lying.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I've quoted all lot of commie bastards.

    I quote them.

    I don't call them a "favorite" philosopher that I "always" turn too.

    I quote them to know what the enemies of liberty think.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Are the Iranians supplying them to the Taliban now?

    I'm sure the Grand Ayatollah is very, very concerned, and looking into these allegations right now.

    /Obama
    //oh, wait, that was the election thingy, never mind

    ///but hey, it still works, let's roll with it!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Dianna said...
    Kenneth, you're quite right. But remember, no one cares. The "right" got upset (hysterical), therefore Dunn is perfectly free to spin, lie, flatter and face.

    She was free to do that anyway.

    The media, "breaking" away from Obama-worship as they supposedly are, is still remarkably uncritical of anything to do with his administration.

    /oh, and Fox is evil
    /Tea Party! Luap Nor!
    /etc.

    ReplyDelete
  61. From last thread:

    OldLineTexan said...
    With Vidal, it's probably the inevitable result of syphilis.


    Perhaps he got syphilis
    On a visit to Tiflis
    Perhaps he took a kiss
    That he shouldn't have done
    Oh, yes, maybe syphilis
    On a visit to Tiflis
    And now he takes the piss
    Out of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Gore Vidal had a good run for a bastard, and needs to retire before his dotage becomes embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  63. buzz, there's also the classic parody of the Beatles' "Yesterday":

    Syphilis
    It just started with a simple kiss
    Now it hurts for me to take a piss
    Oh, syphilis
    came suddenly

    ReplyDelete
  64. Obama's advisors....

    Frank Marshall Davis... commie
    Cloward & Piven... commie
    Ayers... Marxist
    Wright... Marxist
    Jones... Marxist
    Dunn... Maoist

    ReplyDelete
  65. But far be it from me to try to spiro-cheat buzz out of his syphilis punning laurels.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Occasional Reader said...
    But far be it from me to try to spiro-cheat buzz out of his syphilis punning laurels.

    Go ahead and discharge a few puns; just don't be a drip about it.

    /ewww, I just grossed myself out

    ReplyDelete
  67. Origin of Specious said...
    Gak:

    Re: Craig, another one bites the bus


    heh. For some reason, the image of all the school buses in post-Katrina New Orleans popped into my mind.

    There's pleny of room

    ReplyDelete
  68. JCM - I'm surprised that there hasn't been a spectacular internecine blood-letting, then.

    ReplyDelete
  69. JCM - I'm surprised that there hasn't been a spectacular internecine blood-letting, then.


    Everyone is focused on Rush.......

    ReplyDelete
  70. OldLineTexan said...
    Go ahead and discharge a few puns; just don't be a drip about it.


    Allow me to point out that the old pejorative of referring to someone as "a drip" was, in fact, a reference to gonorrhea.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Go ahead and discharge a few puns; just don't be a drip about it.

    Bravo!

    Clap
    Clap
    Clap

    ReplyDelete
  72. Dianna, the blood-letting comes AFTER they assume power.

    ReplyDelete
  73. I've conquered the veneral disease pun thread!

    Veni,V.D., vici

    ReplyDelete
  74. I always thought "Vinnie Vidivicci" would be a cute nic.

    ReplyDelete
  75. It'd sound like you had a speech impediment.

    ReplyDelete
  76. What's a VD pun set doing in a thread about Obama's AIDS?

    /oh Lord, I done it now

    ReplyDelete
  77. OldLineTexan said...
    It'd sound like you had a speech impediment.


    I do have a speech impediment.

    I want to give speeches, and the lack of a forum impedes me.

    ReplyDelete
  78. The Kaus linky is still teh broken, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  79. There's a new comic up. The house rules prevent linking or further discussion of it.

    /you'll either get the reference and already have it bookmarked or you've been missing something that's totally hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  80. bsm, write 'em down.

    I'd subscribe to that.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Killian Bundy said...
    There's a new comic up. The house rules prevent linking or further discussion of it.

    /you'll either get the reference and already have it bookmarked or you've been missing something that's totally hilarious


    Can someone tell Pink or OR so they can tell me?

    /pouting

    ReplyDelete
  82. buzz:

    I want to give speeches, and the lack of a forum impedes me

    If it's any consolation: What with your constant, critical evaluations of our current President, you're one of my favorite O-raters.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Killian Bundy said...
    There's a new comic up. The house rules prevent linking or further discussion of it.

    /you'll either get the reference and already have it bookmarked or you've been missing something that's totally hilarious


    After 5 days, is it really still a "new" comic?

    ReplyDelete
  84. OH. I think I know what you're talking about, K/B. It took me until now to get it! DUH.

    OLT, Pinkie is unavailable right now, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Hey! I was just Wiki-surfing, and I think I may have just found a girlfriend for Sasquatch... to wit:

    In Danish (Scandinavian) tradition the hunted (the prey of the 'Wild Hunt') is a female troll, old elf, or jötunn-like figure named Slattenpat, which literally means "Wobbly-boob".

    The ugly-looking Slattenpat runs away putting her long hanging breasts over her shoulders in order to run faster.

    ReplyDelete
  86. OLT, I just now saw that about the Kaus link - I'll go fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Pi Guy said...

    After 5 days, is it really still a "new" comic?


    /I don't check every day, it was new to me

    ReplyDelete
  88. Done - thanks OLT! (Occasionally I forget to stick the URL in my code, then Blogspot inserts their own address.)

    ReplyDelete
  89. It maybe worth the deleted comment just to link to that site. I find it funny as hell. I wonder who is stalking who sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  90. If anyone tells you that the CBO shows that the House bill reduces the deficit, do not fall for it (not that anyone here would). It pushes Billions of $ off to the (broke-ass) states and then...tada! It doesn't look so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  91. OLT, OR: There's a guy who does parody comics about certain people and places, and we can't allow links to it here - our policy forbids it.

    If you're aware of its existence, that should help you figure out what this is about.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Erik said "It maybe worth the deleted comment"

    Delete your comment? CC will disappear your ass!

    /

    ReplyDelete
  93. Oh those fun lovin' Danes! Wobbly-boob thread!

    ReplyDelete
  94. Nope, CC, I don't know the site... ah, well, life goes on.

    Later!

    ReplyDelete
  95. LOL - no, I won't, but I would like everyone to consider what they're posting please. (See? It's like an infection. Once someone mentions "it", we're off to the races. LOL : )

    ReplyDelete
  96. Never mind. I figured it out.

    More! Later!

    ReplyDelete
  97. I'm sure someone will tell you, O/R. I can't but I'm sure someone will.

    Some days our policy is a real PITA. : )

    ReplyDelete
  98. The famous cartoon about the Dreyfuss Affair:

    A family is about to sit down to a lovely dinner. The father decrees, "No one is to mention it!"

    Next panel shows wreckage, blood on the walls, a fork stuck in the table and the caption, "They mentioned it!"

    ReplyDelete
  99. Corre∫pondence Committee said...

    LOL - no, I won't, but I would like everyone to consider what they're posting please. (See? It's like an infection. Once someone mentions "it", we're off to the races. LOL : )


    All of us here respect C2's policies. I am just in a pissy mood tonight. Maybe we can have a private thread, when the new home opens, just to vent once.

    ReplyDelete
  100. DIanna - heh. You gave me a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  101. Heh. (I know, it seems pretty stupid sometimes - we're really doing it so we don't get consumed with it all, not to try to keep anyone from thinking/feeling what they think/feel, or talking about it elsewhere - we just don't want that to be the focus of C2.)

    ReplyDelete
  102. Ah yes, Captain Dreyfuss(sp?), the innocent fall guy for a bunch of traitors, chosen because he was jewish. I recall reading about that years ago... Gonna have to go read up on that again.

    ReplyDelete
  103. All of us here respect C2's policies. I am just in a pissy mood tonight. Maybe we can have a private thread, when the new home opens, just to vent once.

    I understand, ETR - believe me, I do. I never doubted your respect for the policy.

    ReplyDelete
  104. Seems like a good time for me to put up a new thread.

    I was going to say 'throw up', but that sounded funny.

    BRB. : )

    ReplyDelete
  105. was going to say 'throw up', but that sounded funny.


    Ah yes, we could post the editorial piece, "Delivering Street Pizza" by Ralph Earle.

    ReplyDelete
  106. DONE. And I am first, Bare! IN. YOUR. FACE. : )

    ReplyDelete
  107. DONE. And I am first, Bare in your face : )

    Cool. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  108. Just how pathetic can this bunch become?


    You should bring that up to the new thread upstairs, mah friend.

    ReplyDelete