Monday, October 26, 2009

The Official C2 Late Night Chill Open Thread

100 comments:

  1. Billy Carter gas station may become historic site

    Looks like Billy Carter's gas station in Plains, Ga., is about to be recognized as a national historic landmark.

    If the U.S. House gives its OK this afternoon to HR 1471, the National Park Service site honoring President Jimmy Carter will be doubled to include the Billy Carter Service Station museum.

    Click here and here to read what's in the bill.

    Billy Carter, Jimmy Carter's brother, died in 1988.

    CQPolitics.com reports that the Congressional Budget Office expects that adding 30 more acres to the current Carter presidential site would cost about $17 million over five years.


    /[expletive deleted] this [expletive deleted], why do I have to pay for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Killian Bundy said...
    /[expletive deleted] this [expletive deleted], why do I have to pay for it?
    ----

    C'mon Killian. Your tax dollars are preserving a beloved local attraction. Think of the tourist dollars!

    /

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. Of everything there is to spend money on.

    SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Second!
    And hey Killian, why so many expetives deleted?
    Just come on out and say it - 10% of our fellow Americans are unemployed; our economy is crumbling rapidly due, in no small part to Democrats who insist on SPENDING OUR WAY OUT OF A DEPRESSION.
    So now they want to spend $17 million for Billy's
    Gas Station? Well at least they'll creat a dozen or so temporary jobs and maybe creat four new jobs that last longer than the construction of the Museum.
    I hate the Elite Fucks who do this crap with OUR MONEY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sage! Good to see you - and that version of Goodfellas was GREAT!
    Where the heck did you find that?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - Sage, that guy (Henry Hill) lived around here (Seattle) for a while. He got into trouble out here though. I'm not sure where he is now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corre∫pondence Committee said...

    Say, I don't suppose you could get your significant other to roust up my password from the other site?

    /I'm pretty sure I know what I changed my introductory password to but Mr. Login doesn't seem to agree

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sage - loved Brokeback Mountain too
    http://www.angryalien.com/aa/brokebackbuns.asp

    Futz, wish I knew how to link the way Sage does!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha.....look at the time stamp RW. We were thinking the same thing!

    :')

    ReplyDelete
  10. Say, I don't suppose you could get your significant other to roust up my password from the other site?

    My significant other? LOL (He will laugh his ass off when he reads that.)

    I'll let him know, K/B. (He's my BFF, for the record!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well hell, Sage, I could swear I saw Pulp Fiction on there but now can't find it!
    GREAT SITE THOUGH, THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Realwest said...

    Futz, wish I knew how to link the way Sage does!


    <*a href="URL">LINK TEXT<*/a>

    /remove the asterisks, don't be a putz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey realwest, would you like to learn to do that right here, right now? We can teach you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And before I even said anything, a lesson appeared! AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Corre∫pondence Committee said...

    (He's my BFF, for the record!)


    My bad.

    /that wasn't a relationship category back in the day

    ReplyDelete
  16. Instaman himself:
    "James Taranto is defending Vanderbilt Law School’s Carol Swain from charges of being a white-supremacist-lover. “Swain, who is black, is a professor of law and political science at Vanderbilt University. She is an expert on white supremacists, having written a book on the subject, ‘The New White Nationalism in America: Its Challenge to Integration,’ which was published in 2002 by Cambridge University Press and drew plaudits from scholars both liberal (Harvard’s William Julius Wilson) and conservative (Princeton’s Robert P. George).” But read the whole thing, which makes clear just how unfair the charge is.

    I think the SPLC’s work is finished, if this is the best it can do. It certainly undercuts my already-diminished faith in Mark Potok. . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Killian, I did what you said and it came out like this with a varitey of error messages, one said you can't enclose A and another said you can't be accepted Tag is not allowed.
    So here it is in it's old, ugly, copy and paste to a new window:http://www.angryalien.com/0605/pulpfictionbuns.asp

    ReplyDelete
  18. As long as you're going on about BFs, BFFs, and Brokeback Mountain --- I had quite a chuckle when I first say the acronym "MSM" in a paper about HIV-1 ;-) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. K/B:

    Tell him that his account was locked due to too many attempts to log in unsuccessfully. I have UNLOCKED the account, and he may now move about the cabin freely.

    Also note that when the account is locked because of this, the Password Recovery option will not work. I ran the password recovery, so hopefully he should get an email from the system shortly with his recovered password.


    I guess we'd better find out how many attempts a person gets, because the system apparently doesn't indicate that when you're trying.

    You should be good to go, K/B.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Finally Free - I thought CNN was already in last place! LOL!
    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Sage, ya didn't like Pulp Fiction?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As long as you're going on about BFs, BFFs, and Brokeback Mountain --- I had quite a chuckle when I first say the acronym "MSM" in a paper about HIV-1 ;-) ;-)

    Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  23. CNN’s numbers drop 68% in prime to last place. (h/t Instapundit)

    Who says there's no good news?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well y'all its been interesting to say the least, but I gotta get some sleep -long day tomorrow!
    Hope you all have a great evening/early morning and that I get the chance to see you all down the road!

    Good night, all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My bad.

    /that wasn't a relationship category back in the day


    No sweat, K/B. : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. I already posted Pulp Fiction, RW. Look upthread.

    How about The Big Chill?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Off to sleep....looooong day!

    G'nite and sweet dreams, everyone.

    I will leave you with a video:

    Ahmed and Salim

    Enjoy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Why There Are Fewer Women Bloggers
    October 26, 2009 / 10:52 am • By Dr. Melissa Clouthier
    At Western CPAC there were a row of blogging men with two notable exceptions: Rachel Alexander of Intellectual Conservative and me. Proportionally in political blogging and in blogging generally, there just aren’t as many women bloggers. David Griner of The Social Path asks why:

    If you spend any time looking at social media demographics, there’s one stat you see over and over: women dominate the space. Facebook, MySpace, Twitter — all are more popular with women than men.

    So it was a bit jarring this week to see that 67% of bloggers are male, according to the newest installment of the Technorati State of the Blogosphere report.

    Admittedly, this isn’t a new stat. In least year’s report, Technorati’s survey put the male blogger ratio at 66%. But compared to the other mainstream social media activities, it seems bizarrely guy-heavy.


    Why There Are Fewer Women Bloggers

    ReplyDelete
  29. Realwest said...

    Hey Killian, I did what you said and it came out like this with a varitey of error messages, one said you can't enclose A and another said you can't be accepted Tag is not allowed.


    Well, sorry, but that's the HTML format for a hyperlink and always has been since the code was first used.

    /type and highlight the link text in an Outlook Express e-mail and then click Insert/Hyperlink, paste the URL in the box and then copy/paste the link from the draft e-mail, or download a free HTML editor, the internet is crawling with them

    ReplyDelete
  30. Corre∫pondence Committee said...


    If you spend any time looking at social media demographics, there’s one stat you see over and over: women dominate the space. Facebook, MySpace, Twitter — all are more popular with women than men.


    That's sad.

    I don't have a Facebook, MySpace or Twitter account. No offense to anyone who does, it just always struck me as a bit juvenile.

    I've had some unpleasant exchanges but they've generally been more unpleasant for the morons who attempted to attack me from the misogyny angle. I don't play that game and I don't suffer the fools who do.

    ReplyDelete
  31. JWF: Mike Lupica tells 0bama to abandon pointless war that is already lost.

    "There is no greater waste of time in the Obama White House than its war against Fox News, because it doesn't just make this President look bad, it makes him look as if the other side has cut him down to size. He would be better off trying bowling again.

    At least this is one war Barack Obama can end easily. All he has to do is sit down with Chris Wallace or Shepard Smith - do the President's men think Smith was some arm of the Republican Party with his reporting on Hurricane Katrina? - or Major Garrett, a Fox White House correspondent.

    You want to drive up its ratings? Do it that way.

    When you see this kind of new campaign from the President, you always want to ask him, or David Axelrod, or Rahm Emanuel, the same question: If the people banging away at you are such a danger, how come they couldn't stop you from being elected?

    The only war about which Barack Obama should worry, one in which he could lose himself the way Lyndon Johnson lost himself in Vietnam, is the one in Afghanistan."

    ReplyDelete
  32. NASA's Ares 1-X Rocket: Space Shuttle Replacement?
    Or Rocket to Nowhere? NASA Preps for Test, Though Obama Could Cancel Program


    This isn't your daddy's space ship -- but it is something your grandfather might recognize. The Ares 1-X rocket sitting on the launch pad 39B at the Kennedy Space Center is ready to go, scheduled for launch Tuesday morning, if the weather holds.

    It won't go far on this trip, but NASA hopes it will eventually take astronauts beyond low Earth orbit and -- someday -- on to Mars.

    This launch follows a less-than-wholehearted endorsement by the Augustine Commission, the presidential panel that spent this past year reviewing the future of the U.S. space program.

    The Ares is supposed to replace the 30-year-old space shuttle, which is scheduled to quit flying by the end of 2011 after six more missions. Ares, the commission concluded, will cost too much and take too long to really be a practical replacement. The plan was to have it ready to fly by 2015, but 2017 is more realistic. NASA's only option, meanwhile, to get astronauts to the space station is to buy seats on the Russian Soyuz.


    Augustine Commission: NASA's Plans 'Unsustainable'

    To get to the moon and then eventually go on to Mars will take much more money and technology than the U.S. space program has now, according to a report released today by an independent panel convened, at White House request, under former aerospace executive Norman Augustine.

    The Augustine Commission made several recommendations today for NASA:

    . . .

    The panel said it might be an option to scrap the Ares 1 booster, and use other rockets instead.


    So, we've got six more shuttle flights to go and Obama's thinking of cancelling the replacement program. Priorities, Obama can spend a trillion dollars on Democrat pet projects and call it "stimulus", but he can't seem to finde a few billion dollars for NASA.

    /be sure and watch today's's launch, future American space flight could become a rarity

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good morning everyone!
    From the establishment of NASA (the beginning of America's space program) until the landing of two men on the moon was 11 years. Where will we be in 11 years? Probably not much farther than we are now.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've had some unpleasant exchanges but they've generally been more unpleasant for the morons who attempted to attack me from the misogyny angle. I don't play that game and I don't suffer the fools who do.

    Good for you.

    I used to work for a large online sports community; I reported on professional sports (NFL/MLB) and was a content coordinator for the sports page. I was treated better than I would have expected in that environment, but the first thing my boss told me was not to use my real name or anything close to it online. He himself had been threatened, and he knew better.

    A couple of years ago someone on a sports board harassed me like you would not believe - he wouldn't leave me alone. I couldn't say anything without a response from him - sexual, crude - just one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I had made friends there and I'm not the type to cede ground to a person like that, and I finally found a way to make him stop - but it sucked, let me tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Bat, good evening/morning - I would guess that's a pretty safe bet!

    ReplyDelete
  36. The only war about which Barack Obama should worry, one in which he could lose himself the way Lyndon Johnson lost himself in Vietnam, is the one in Afghanistan.

    The very same war he pushed during the campaign, and used to bludgeon President Bush.

    He talks out of both sides of his mouth on just about every issue, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi, CC! Yes, it was a different era then.Our early space program is my earliest memory of a current event. America could do anything back then.

    ReplyDelete
  38. It sounds like we're about the same age, Bat. (C2 trivia: Our host, Running Bare - a guy you probably rarely bump into at this hour - has done some work for NASA...he developed medical equipment for the space program.)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Corre∫pondence Committee said...

    He talks out of both sides of his mouth on just about every issue, it seems.


    First Fig
    by Edna St.Vincent Millay

    MY CANDLE burns at both ends;
    It will not last the night;
    But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
    It gives a lovely light!

    ReplyDelete
  40. He probably has that up in the White House somewhere, like that painting that had all the indecision quotes on it. : )

    How are you doing, Pi?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy 70th birthday, John Cleese!

    Here's John Cleese's classic appearance on the Muppet Show:

    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

    ReplyDelete
  42. Seventy! Oh my.

    I just saw Paul McCartney the other day on Letterman...how old is he? I guess I'll go look it up. BRB

    ReplyDelete
  43. Corre∫pondence Committee said...
    He probably has that up in the White House somewhere, like that painting that had all the indecision quotes on it. : )

    How are you doing, Pi?


    I'm doing OK.

    I kept wondering about all the British people I was meeting at work today. I've met plenty of them now and then, but I never saw such a steady stream of people from Wales, England and Scotland!

    It turns out that just this past weekend, British Airways began direct service to Las Vegas from Heathrow.

    Hey, given the exchange rate and the directness of travel, that should help give the Vegas economy a boost!

    ReplyDelete
  44. BatGuano said...
    Hi PI!



    Howdy, Bat!

    /Oh, and Hi, CC!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I wonder if the flight is cheap, the way they do it from here - I haven't looked in a while, but flights to Vegas used to be about like going out to a decent dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  46. CC, do you mind if I try an experiment with the color of the visited links?

    I'll set them back, unless you like my change.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Howdy, Pi Guy. : )

    Hey, is there any "Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" stuff coming up in your Halloween pub treats?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Someone other than President Obama comes on Letterman?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Corre∫pondence Committee said...
    I wonder if the flight is cheap, the way they do it from here - I haven't looked in a while, but flights to Vegas used to be about like going out to a decent dinner.


    According to the British Airways page, a round-trip flight and a 3-night stay at Palace Station (the casino at which OJ tried to take his stuff back at gunpoint) starts at $700/person.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Whaddaya think of visited links in dark purple?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Corre∫pondence Committee said...
    Howdy, Pi Guy. : )

    Hey, is there any "Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" stuff coming up in your Halloween pub treats?


    Oh, nope - but that could be fun.

    If you want to add it, the "Lost Skeleton" would probably be good as a bonus video in one of the after pubs.

    (Who says we can't do bonus videos?)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oooh - that darker blue is nice for visited links!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hey, Jack! How are you?

    Pi, question: Did you notice that the top of the page is now white? We didn't do that. I think Blogspot must have. Not that it bugs me - it doesn't. It's just funny to show up and suddenly something that has always been there is just different.

    I sure wish they'd fix the avatar thing!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Corre∫pondence Committee said...
    Hey, Jack! How are you?

    Pi, question: Did you notice that the top of the page is now white? We didn't do that. I think Blogspot must have. Not that it bugs me - it doesn't. It's just funny to show up and suddenly something that has always been there is just different.


    Oh, yeah - I did that. It's their new "transparent" look.

    Look again - how about silver?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  55. I may add a Lost Skeleton vid then! I love that movie. : )

    ReplyDelete
  56. What is the "visited links" thing?

    ReplyDelete
  57. I love my silver, Pi! LOL (As long as it's not pink or yellow or something, I'm pretty good with whatever color that is up there - choosing from blue, white, or gray, that is. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  58. Corre∫pondence Committee said...
    I may add a Lost Skeleton vid then! I love that movie. : )


    I don't think even the director loved that movie!

    (Hey - when you post it, do it like you're "breaking in" to the post. Like: "Nobody tell Pi Guy I snuck this in! Maybe he won't notice!" or something.)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Oh, did you happen to change the way links look in posts, too? I noticed a change there...they're underlining in red now or something. I have no idea when that started (maybe around the time we had that sudden return to defaults).

    I asked Bare if he did that - NOPE. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  60. Okay, will do Pi. Ha.

    RAWER. Bring the meteor to the skeleton!

    I love that campy junk. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  61. BatGuano said...
    What is the "visited links" thing?


    Links that haven't been visited have had a light blue color since C2 began.

    Have you ever noticed when you click on a link, and then come back to C2 and look at the same link, it was now gray?

    I never liked that grey, as it looked too "washed out", so I just now changed it to a dark blue.

    Here's a new link to demonstrate:

    Sample Link (Video)

    See how it's a light blue? Click on it, and the return to this page. It should now be a darker blue, denoting that the link has been "visited".

    ReplyDelete
  62. Corre∫pondence Committee said...
    Oh, did you happen to change the way links look in posts, too? I noticed a change there...they're underlining in red now or something. I have no idea when that started (maybe around the time we had that sudden return to defaults).

    I asked Bare if he did that - NOPE. LOL


    Nope. That one wasn't me. I did notice that the other day, and figured it was something YOU were doing!

    Let me check the CSS...

    ReplyDelete
  63. Oh, Pi, while you're in there - can you change that bar up top back to white? I think I prefer it.

    As much as I love gray. : )

    ReplyDelete
  64. Pi, I don't see the difference, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  65. It's too bad we can't change some of this stuff to look like Halloween decorations. That'd be hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Doin' well CC. Can't wait to move!

    ReplyDelete
  67. That underline in red thing is just part of the built-in CSS:

    .post h3 a, .post h3 a:visited, .post h3 strong {
    display:block;
    text-decoration:none;
    color:$titlecolor;
    font-weight:normal;
    }

    ($titlecolor isn't standard CSS - that's a special code that only works in blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  68. Jack, we're just working out issues with the comment system, but other than that, almost everything is in place. I think you'll really like it.

    We should be ready by the latter part of the weekend (I hope I hope I hope) - Killian says we should move in now and work out the kinks as we go, which I guess is a pretty good seal of approval.

    It's going to be very different from here - a lot of room to stretch out, lots of different topics to talk about all at once, in different "rooms". Should be fun (and actually less pressure for contributors than this place).

    I'm glad you're aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Corre∫pondence Committee said...
    Oh, Pi, while you're in there - can you change that bar up top back to white? I think I prefer it.

    As much as I love gray. : )


    Done!

    BatGuano said...
    Pi, I don't see the difference, but that's just me.


    I'll post 2 links that I'm reasonably sure you haven't visited. Only click on one of them, refresh the page, and then compare their colors:

    Lucid Links
    John Cox Art

    ReplyDelete
  70. Thanks, Pi. So I guess they decided that was a good idea somewhere at Blogspot HQ. Okay. : )

    ReplyDelete
  71. Awesome, that's why you don't see me around here too much. I like having room to breathe!

    There will be a "favorites" system, right?

    ReplyDelete
  72. "I'd like the couch over there. No, I think it's better over there...on second thought, nope, move it back please."

    (Actually, my favorite of the three is the blue. Not that I care so much, we're here for just a few more days. Thank you for changing it back.)

    ReplyDelete
  73. I'll post 2 links that I'm reasonably sure you haven't visited. Only click on one of them, refresh the page, and then compare their colors:

    Exactly the same to me. Maybe I have some species of color-blindness?

    ReplyDelete
  74. Corre∫pondence Committee said...
    Thanks, Pi. So I guess they decided that was a good idea somewhere at Blogspot HQ. Okay. : )


    It's in the code and editable. If you or Bare know CSS, and would like to change it, go for it! (Just make sure you research Blogspot's special codes like $titlecolor first!)

    I think what the problem is, is when using strong and a link together. If you do a regular link, in the story, it should look regular.

    ReplyDelete
  75. He hasn't added a favorites feature, but he's got a wishlist started over there and I'll put it on there on your behalf.

    There will be a place where anyone can post links - that's one a lot of people wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  76. BatGuano said...
    I'll post 2 links that I'm reasonably sure you haven't visited. Only click on one of them, refresh the page, and then compare their colors:

    Exactly the same to me. Maybe I have some species of color-blindness?


    Either that, or you've visited them both at some point already.

    Don't worry about it, then.

    ReplyDelete
  77. AH! That's probably it - I just started bolding my titles to give them some distinction.

    That makes sense - thanks! I don't care to change it. I just wondered where it came from.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Hmmmmm...just a couple of minutes to fruit cup. Where is lol?

    ReplyDelete
  79. Check out this take on 0bama's health control program:

    Fed Up

    Read the comments, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  80. Fruitcup seems to be ready!

    (Auto pilot?)

    ReplyDelete
  81. Either that, or you've visited them both at some point already.

    Seriously, I'm thinking I have an inability to distinguish some colors. It would explain some conversations I've had over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  82. I'm convinced that every site should have a favorites feature.

    ReplyDelete
  83. I'm convinced that every site should have a favorites feature.

    October 27, 2009 2:11 AM


    I wouldn't look for it to be there by the time we move in, but I'm sure the extras will develop as we live in the site. I know a lot of people got great use out of it! (I only had about ten things in mine...I kept forgetting it was there!)

    ReplyDelete
  84. Fruitcup seems to be ready!

    I think she's caught on to scheduling! (Or she has someone helping her.)

    I'm going to get to the bottom of this. : )

    ReplyDelete