Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Today in History: October 20th





Highlights of this day in history: The Saturday Night Massacre occurs; General Douglas MacArthur fulfills his promise to return to the Philippines; The House Un-American Activities Committee begins its investigation into Communist infiltration of Hollywood; Staff Sergeant Ivan Frederick pleads guilty to Abu Grahib abuse charges; Jacqueline Kennedy marries Aristotle Onassis; Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane crashes in Mississippi.

Other notable October 20th events include:

1803 – The United States Senate ratifies the Louisiana Purchase.

1818 – The Convention of 1818 signed between the United States and the United Kingdom which, among other things, settled the Canada – United States border on the 49th parallel for most of its length.

1910 – The hull of the RMS Olympic, sister-ship to the ill-fated RMS Titanic, is launched from the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

1951 – The "Johnny Bright Incident" occurred in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

1973 – The Sydney Opera House opens.

1991 – The Oakland Hills firestorm kills 25 and destroys 3,469 homes and apartments, causing more than $2 billion in damage.

68 comments:

  1. I am going to foist my opinions on you all. :)

    /should have a new blog post up shortly as well, depending on how Blogspot does their timings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1967 – A purported bigfoot is filmed by Patterson and Gimlin.

    2009 – That same sasquatch joins this blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is also Snoop Dogg's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why only the first 5?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what is President Wee Wee whining about today? Did some mean news channel say bad tings about him?

    And what happens when he meets some big, mean dictator?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And what happens when he meets some big, mean dictator?

    They smile and hug and give each other cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cookies and unicorns for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And what happens when he meets some big, mean dictator?

    It's not what happens when he meets a big mean dictator, we will fold. The problem is when he gets tough with conservative democratic leaders from allied countries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw a "coexist" bumper sticker on the way to work. Problem solved. Here I was thinking this World Peace stuff would be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Centaur said...
    Unicorns suck.


    No they don't. On a good grill, or smoker, they are quite nice.

    /of course you have to brine them properly first

    ReplyDelete
  11. James T -- that was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't look like Fox news will be backing down anytime soon.

    What the loony let is trying to do is so ridiculous. They bomb Glenn Beck and suddenly he has more people saying they won't advertize on his show than ever did in the first place (I think that is mostly bogus). Now they want to marginalize Fox news entirely, but Fox viewership keeps going up. Perhaps a better plan would be to go on Fox and argue their points instead of trying to convince us they are 'bad news'. But they have no points to argue, so they attack instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And it's just so telling how Bush, with all the media crap his administrations put up with, not once (as far as I know) called out a network or media personality by name. Policies aside, there's something to acting presidential, which the current POTUS simply don't.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really is cognitive dissonance. The entire MSM is biased left. Fox is the only channel they don't have. They know this. Yet they have the nerve to call out Fox.
    Some form of the Fairness doct. is on the way, count on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think our school is getting hit with the regular flu. 33% of the kids out sick yesterday and now closed for 2 days but only one kid has been confirmed H1N1. I think you're going to see a lot of parents treating the kids for the flu at home and not getting a confirmed diagnosis because if it's H1N1 the policy is to keep them home for 5 days AFTER symptoms are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. VT, it's kind of funny but some media are reporting that it isn't very presidential to respond this way. Punching UP and connecting to a target is good, punching DOWN and not connecting hard makes you look weak and dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spenser, I am pretty sure my husband and I had H1N1 a few weeks back. The regular flu was not going around yet. I was very sick for a couple of days, one night with a high fever. I think that is what still is going around. Schools are closing around here too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. VT - My wife and son might have had it too; they were sick a few weeks back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We had deep coughs, aches and a slight fever here, I'm not sure what it was. You're all better now, I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  20. James T - does this mean we are immune and won't get it again this season? (wishful thinking)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Justice concludes black voters need Democratic Party

    Voters in this small city decided overwhelmingly last year to do away with the party affiliation of candidates in local elections, but the Obama administration recently overruled the electorate and decided that equal rights for black voters cannot be achieved without the Democratic Party.

    The Justice Department's ruling, which affects races for City Council and mayor, went so far as to say partisan elections are needed so that black voters can elect their "candidates of choice" - identified by the department as those who are Democrats and almost exclusively black.

    The department ruled that white voters in Kinston will vote for blacks only if they are Democrats and that therefore the city cannot get rid of party affiliations for local elections because that would violate black voters' right to elect the candidates they want.


    /wt ever loving f?

    ReplyDelete
  22. VT: you might have an immunity, slight, to H1N1. You still have to watch out for the seasonal stuff.

    /bearer of bad news...

    ReplyDelete
  23. According to a link in the last thread, 25% of the people who catch H1N1 don't show any symptoms, so we might have already caught it and gotten over it.

    As for the regular, seasonal flu, that's another thing entirely; but I did get the shot for that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. But... JTK? You got vaccinated? We're all anti-science here, didn't you get the memo?

    /

    ReplyDelete
  25. I got a regular shot as well. Hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We're all anti-science here, didn't you get the memo?

    Depends... Are we talking science fact or science fiction?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never get the flu shot. I know too many people that get it then end up geting sick that year. Besides if I do get sick, I am only hardcore down for a day or two. I try to time it for my weekends. :)

    /have only missed 5 days of work in the past three years due to actual illness, probably a total of ten days over all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gotta go.
    t one of those virus softwar virus thingies.

    ReplyDelete
  29. PP, sounds like you have a great immune system but at least here in the states all the injected vaccines only contain dead viruses so they can't give you the flu. The nasal spray version does contain some live virus so it's possible to get the flu from that. You may have gotten a flu not found in the mix that year, though.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Killian -- what the ever loving f indeed.

    I see lawsuits in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bret Stephens: Does Obama believe in human rights?

    Short answer: no.

    It takes a remarkable presumption of good faith, or perhaps stupidity, to imagine that the Burmas or Sudans of the world would reciprocate Mr. Obama's engagement except to seek their own advantage.

    It also takes a remarkable degree of cynicism—or perhaps cowardice—to treat human rights as something that "interferes" with America's purposes in the world, rather than as the very thing that ought to define them. Yet that is exactly the record of Mr. Obama's time thus far in office.

    In Massachusetts not long ago, I found myself driving behind a car with "Free Tibet," "Save Darfur," and "Obama 08" bumper stickers. I wonder if it will ever dawn on the owner of that car that at least one of those stickers doesn't belong.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lu: I find Bret Stephens wishy washy. When he was the editor of the Jerusalem Post, I liked his stuff better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Spenser: I have never had a flu shot. I just watch how it affects everyone around me who's had it. Usually down for a week.

    Good morning WriterMom. BTW, here's the billboard picture I was talking about yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Morning, Lucius and WriterMom. WM, I didn't need a reply but did you get my email yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Turn's late gay uncle Lee had to evacuate in that Oakland hills fire, he lived in the Berkley hills where the fire originally started. Extremely hot dry winds and an abundance of dry eucalyptus and steep hillsides created the disaster. Oh, morning all, sup?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, PP. That is a billboard out of 1984. Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yeah Spenser, one reason people up here on the right call the Toronto Star the Red Star. All articles and editorials are too the left.

    ReplyDelete
  38. PP -- I can't read what the billboard says.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Morning, Turn. We're cloudy and kind of warmish today, you?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Spenser (with an S) said...
    But... JTK? You got vaccinated? We're all anti-science here, didn't you get the memo?

    /


    Are we?

    Damn.

    I can never keep up with what's wrong with me (supposedly, anyway).

    If only someone wise and caring would just tell me how to think!

    /

    ReplyDelete
  41. Lucius Septimius said...
    PP -- I can't read what the billboard says.

    Neither can I, but I think I remember the conversation:

    "Until caring is the law"

    /spooky

    ReplyDelete
  42. "Until caring is the law"?

    Oy

    That's the legal logic behind witch hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Speaking of "coexist", I think the Somalis are edging closer to finding out what the Chinese think of them.

    /I hope we step back and cheer while they do it, too

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm sure this has been posted here, but I just saw the transcript and it astounded me...

    WARREN BALLANTINE: OK, we won't look at the made-up stuff. Let's look at him playing "Barack The Magic Negro", and we're going to say that's just funny, that's just a joke, that's not racial either. It is racial to real black people.

    JUAN WILLIAMS: Hey Warren, you were saying my argument was a red herring. Maybe you should do some research, go back and find out that it was an article written by a black person, headlined "Barack The Magic Negro."

    BALLANTINE: He made it a song and played it on his show.

    WILLIAMS: So what? He was making fun of it.

    BALLANTINE: You can go back to the porch, Juan. You can go back. It's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  45. OLT said "I can never keep up with what's wrong with me (supposedly, anyway).

    If only someone wise and caring would just tell me how to think!"

    OLT, aren't you married?

    ///

    ReplyDelete
  46. Yeah, that was pretty good on O'Reilly last night. He slipped that remark past everyone.

    But it doesn't astound me. We have an authentic racist Black Muslim celebrity agitator in Houston that makes no bones about how much he hates, and that includes any member of his minority group that is perceived as "working with" the hated majority oppressors, like cops, etc. And those terms are always at the tip of his tongue. He also sports a fantastic sneer.

    I love the guy, though, to be perfectly frank. I see it as Nature's way of balancing out the concentration of Klan jerks to the east of us.

    ReplyDelete
  47. OLT and Lucius: on the top right above the picture there's a magnifying glass. Click on that and you can see the larger size.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Morning Spenser, back now. Foggy and damp burning off to a sunny high of 72. Actually a pretty day.

    ReplyDelete
  49. OLt, I am not a black man , nor do I play one on tv, but from friends I know that that is such a loaded, hateful and demeaning phrase meant to shut down all discussion. There was a lot of self-hatred in the bad old days with house slaves who had an easier life than the field hands and it is a horrible thing to say publicly to a man.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I didn't understand that porch comment, does that make me racist? Juan was oviously pissed off on O'Reilly last night, I'll have to go google that to find out the reference ...

    ReplyDelete
  51. Caring = emotional, irrational, arbitrary

    Law = impartial, rational, consistent

    The former appeals to those who desire power; the latter to those who love liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  52. OLT, who is that Houston agitator, Louis Farrakhan?

    ReplyDelete
  53. OK -- I've got work to do. Gotta go ejumucate the youngins'

    Later, kids.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Turn, he was calling him a "House N-----".

    ReplyDelete
  55. Thanks for explaining the back to the porch context Spenser. What a fricking double standard, calling Rush a racist while making racist slurs to a black man. Reminds me of JJ saying somebody ought to cut the nuts off Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  56. turn said...
    OLT, who is that Houston agitator, Louis Farrakhan?

    No, Quannell X.

    ReplyDelete
  57. 1967 – A purported bigfoot is filmed by Patterson and Gimlin.

    Purported...

    ReplyDelete
  58. Claudia Rosett: First they came for Fox News....

    Related clip from A man for all seasons (the possibly apocryphal "Give the devil benefit of law" speech).

    ReplyDelete