Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Today in History: October 28th



Highlights of this day in history: Harvard University founded; President Grover Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty; Gateway Arch completed.

Other notable October 28th events include:

1538 – The first university in the New World, the Universidad Santo Tomás de Aquino, is established.

1919 – The U.S. Congress passes the Volstead Act over President Woodrow Wilson's veto, paving the way for Prohibition to begin the following January.

1936 – US President Franklin D. Roosevelt rededicates the Statue of Liberty on its 50th anniversary.

1962 – Cuban Missile Crisis: Soviet Union leader Nikita Khrushchev announces that he had ordered the removal of Soviet missile bases in Cuba.

1985 – Sandinista Daniel Ortega becomes president of Nicaragua and makes peace overtures to the United States.

44 comments:

  1. I have arrived. I hope littleoldlady is doing okay. I missed her at fruit cup time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning CCers!

    I got here a little too early and tried to break down the door, but couldn't do it. It is rainy and cold here in CT. I hope to today finds everyone happy and well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning b&b. Things are rainy here too. Made for some interesting pictures on the way into work. I think I am getting the hang of taking low light pictures with no flash, and a improper lens. I definitely need to get myself a 50mm. Going to have to wait till I get some coin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that you should mention photographs. I was just perusing a site that posts some recently discovered photos of significance. here is the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1919 – The U.S. Congress passes the Volstead Act over President Woodrow Wilson's veto, paving the way for Prohibition to begin the following January.

    I think we should toast this fact with a drink.

    /it is 5:00 somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a great link b&b. A lot of great lost treasures found.

    ReplyDelete
  7. /it is 5:00 somewhere.

    I like what some one said the other day. "I don't drink until the sun is over the yardarm. Currently I have it buried"...

    /might be a paraphrase

    ReplyDelete
  8. /might be a paraphrase

    Yeah, but it's close enough to what I said (and more concise).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mornin', you crazed right wingers !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning Captain & Squatch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1985 – Sandinista Daniel Ortega becomes president of Nicaragua and vows to continue the transformation to socialism and alliance with the Soviet Union and Cuba…

    Deja vu.

    ReplyDelete
  12. boldandbald said...

    Morning BandB.
    Very cool pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Morning Squatch, JTK. Glad to see that I improved on your comment. I figured it was either you or Occassional Reader that said it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh. I'm still sick in bed. Thoughtful fellow that I am, I decided not to go to work & infect everybody there. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Morning Kenneth. Sorry to hear you are not well. Lay back and enjoy some fascinating conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PaladinPhil: JTK. Glad to see that I improved on your comment. I figured it was either you or Occassional Reader that said it.

    If we have profiles once the new site is up, I might put that quote on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Morning Kenneth, sorry to hear about your woes. It seems a lot of people here in T.O. are getting sick. Some more then others. I know of at least 10 people personally that have been or are sick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thoughtful fellow that I am, I decided not to go to work & infect everybody there.

    In some jobs, I've cared more for the health of my coworkers than in others. Once or twice when I was younger I went to work sick with absolute glee...

    ReplyDelete
  19. boldandblue...

    Thanks. I'll be lurking all day, popping in with a comment or link.I'm reading Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden. He sure knows how to write history like an action novel. Good stuff. Oh, and screw Jimmy Carter.

    BTW: did you use a different nic somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
  20. heh. I was browsing through some comments left on my blog and found this one after my video post.

    Anonymous said...
    Chromatically Aberrated Chimes are creepy


    I am curious to who left it. I think I have an idea who it was. I will ask him on Friday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. For First Time Under Obama, Majority Says U.S. Is on Wrong Track

    While the stock market has picked up and the country appears to be pulling out of the recession, a majority of Americans - for the first time in the Obama presidency - says the U.S. is headed down the wrong track, according to a Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll conducted Oct. 22-25.

    Fifty-two percent say the country is on the wrong track compared to 36 percent who say it is headed in the right direction with 9 percent saying conditions are mixed and 3 percent undecided. While there have been pluralities saying the U.S. is on the wrong track in four of the previous five WSJ/NBC polls during Obama's presidency, this is the first time the number broke 50 percent. The one month where that was not true was April when 43 percent said things were on the right track and an equal number said they were going in the opposite direction.


    /what took so long?

    ReplyDelete
  22. /what took so long?

    Lack of exposure to the facts, courtesy of your friendly (to Obama) neighborhood MSM, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  23. /what took so long?

    The Bush blame game expiration date getting close, like buying milk with only 2 days left on the stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mornin' ETR.
    Didn't get too toasted last night, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Bush blame game expiration date getting close, like buying milk with only 2 days left on the stamp.

    Dude, that excuse expired months ago. Everyone is getting sick on it now.

    Good morning Erik. How's things in your neck of the woods?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dude, that excuse expired months ago. Everyone is getting sick on it now.

    WE have been sick of it for some time, the Dancing with the Stars voting public has a lag factor.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Squatch said... Didn't get too toasted last night, I hope. Nope, I behaved for a change.

    PaladinPhil said... Good morning Erik. How's things in your neck of the woods? I will let you know as soon as the caffeine kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Morning, all. How is everyone? Me? I'm so broke I can't even pay attention.

    /Fat Albert?

    ReplyDelete
  29. San Francisco Bay Bridge Remains Closed Indefinitely

    The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge was closed indefinitely after a rod installed during last month's emergency repairs snapped, causing a traffic nightmare for the 26,000 motorists who cross the landmark span every day.

    Engineers on Wednesday will evaluate the damage caused when the rod and metal brace fell into the 73-year-old bridge's westbound lanes during Tuesday evening's rush hour.

    At least two vehicles -- a car and a small truck -- either were struck by or ran into the fallen rod, said California Highway Patrol Officer Peter Van Eckhardt, but no injuries were reported.

    The California Department of Transportation said Tuesday that it will remain closed indefinitely.


    /bummer

    ReplyDelete
  30. San Francisco Bay Bridge Remains Closed Indefinitely
    What a fustercluck that must be!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How long will it go on?

    Obama essentially ran against Bush in 2008 & he will run against Bush again in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  32. If you can't blame Bush, there's always Dick Cheney drinking the blood of Jewish or Muslim babies to "stand" against.

    I heard this clip. There was no humor, no sarcasm, nothing in this man's smooth, bland voice.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Meanwhile, Christians continue to riot, burn, and threaten murder over a scene in HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" wherein the lead character accidently urinates on a picture of Jesus, decides not to wipe it off, and his urine is mistaken by the picture's owner for miraculous tears.

    Because Christians are so stupid, you know.

    /

    ReplyDelete
  34. Olt, we're very dangerous you know. We're basically illiterate and waiting for our James Dobson marching orders to see where to start the rioting. We need a theocracy here in the US and that kind of behavior can't stand.

    /

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kenneth, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I am at work. See, this is me working.

    I am the poster formerly known as Ford_Prefect.

    ReplyDelete
  36. OLT:

    If you can't blame Bush, there's always Dick Cheney drinking the blood of Jewish or Muslim babies to "stand" against.

    I heard this clip. There was no humor, no sarcasm, nothing in this man's smooth, bland voice.


    Yeah, well, Glenn Beck pretended to kill a rubber frog! Fascist!
    /

    ReplyDelete
  37. But BDVM, Glenn Beck is bad crazy.

    And there are teabaggers and Creationists and theocrats and net-Nazis under mah bed!

    /

    Can't you just be reasonable, like the Left?

    ReplyDelete
  38. OldLineTexan said...

    Ford, baby!

    Still got that towel?


    Never leave home without my towel or my electronic thumb, OLT.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Some one was talking to me the other day and saw my camera. They asked me if I had seen any pictures from The National Geographic photograph contest. I am checking it out and I think I have a picture I would love to send in for the People category.

    /going to start digging for it now.

    ReplyDelete