Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Good morning, afternoon, evening *everyone*!™

Help yourselves!

73 comments:

  1. enuff! :-)

    Howdy! How's our outdoor real estate investment doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sometimes I feel that way on the fruitcup thread..."I can't believe you guys left me there!"

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. littleoldlady said...
    Yeah, sometimes I feel that way on the fruitcup thread..."I can't believe you guys left me there!"

    ;-)


    Huh?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evelyn Wood...phone home!

    The finance committee's "health reform" bill is up online. A mere 1,502 pages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. littleoldlady said...
    Evelyn Wood...phone home!

    The finance committee's "health reform" bill is up online. A mere 1,502 pages!


    ...and also released too late to be effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pi Guy,

    Sometimes I sit here and talk/link to myself while you all go to bed.

    /doesn't happen that often anymore, thank goodness! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and also released too late to be effective.

    I'm seeing a pattern here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is fun!

    The massive, 1,500 page bill is expected to serve as the backbone for Democratic reform efforts going forward and five senators expressed concerns about one of its main provisions, a 40 percent tax on high-end insurance plans.

    Those "high end" plans are what? 12k? 15k? 18k per year?

    "Well golly gee, Mr Democratic Representative...I WOULD have donated to your campaign but it seems I have an additional $7,000 in taxes to pay this year..."

    ReplyDelete
  9. littleoldlady said...
    ...and also released too late to be effective.

    I'm seeing a pattern here...


    Get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. NYTimes to cut 100 newsroom jobs.

    Not like they need them or anything. The opinion columnists can write the news items and no one will know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. littleoldlady said...
    NYTimes to cut 100 newsroom jobs.

    Not like they need them or anything. The opinion columnists can write the news items and no one will know the difference.


    We were discussing this news earlier, and I found the perfect theme song for the NYT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And here comes the bailout of the newspapers

    /sheesh
    //okay, it's just "a report" but still...it'll be their justification.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @LoL: touché!

    Instapundit (and others) have belabored time and again the point that the Legacy Media have one "killer app" left: hard news gathering. And that they choose to kill precisely that one off in favor of more opinionated fluff masquerading as news.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, it's time for me to start counting the sheep.

    Good night, all!


    /We've progressed to only half-nekkid babies

    ReplyDelete
  15. Finally Free,

    Well, it's not going to happen. The American people have been conditioned to expect entertainment in place of the news.

    /focus group research gone amok!

    If they actually got hard news from a news organization heads would probably explode. I truly believe that this is why it's so easy for conspiracy theories to be born and multiply like a cancer. People KNOW they're not getting the real news. Their trust in the media is about nil. So phony stories have a fertile environment in which to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ann Margrock! LOL!

    'Night, Pi Guy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jack! :-)

    You have a problem with that?

    /paying taxes is patriotic, donja know!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a definite problem with that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wouldn't worry about it too much, Jack. Very few individuals have insurance plans that cost $8,000, or families that have plans that are over $21,000 (those are the "threshholds"). It mostly applies to very rich people or...um...assembly line workers at Government Motors, who will end up being exempt anyway.

    We'll only be taxing the rich. That's fair, right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, and not being a speed-reader, I won't be reading the finance committee's plan today. But the last I heard we will ALL be paying higher taxes for this boondoggle for several years before it actually kicks in.

    /awaiting affirmation of that "rumor"

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG! I can't post the whole thing, but read this movie review by Richard Cohen.

    GAH! It starts out truly disgusting but we soon that ... even the liberals are getting a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoa! This is an AP story!

    PURCELLVILLE, Va. – Just a year after this one-time Confederate state helped elect a black man president, Democrats are desperately trying to hang onto the governorship.

    A lot has changed: Loyal Democrats are more subdued than last fall. Republicans are energized. Independents are proving to be ... independent. Voters of all kinds seem disenchanted.

    Just like Americans nationwide.


    I'm mighty surprised they didn't just declare the Democrat the winner. (Who needs an election?!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good morning, dear ones!

    LOL, what dismays me is the thought of moving backwards in terms of take-home pay. I can accept not my net income not going up (although I'm lucky that I have had modest increases each year), but the thought of taking home LESS is so discouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good morning all. {littleoldlady}, {gotc}, enuff. Another day here, actually warm for once.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've got to get ready for school--I'm going to get here earlier tomorrow so I don't have to snarf down my fruitcup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. GODDESS!

    So good to see you! :-)

    What impacts your take-home pay also effects the ability of businesses to create jobs. With 15 million (plus!) people unemployed or under-employed this will not only be unhelpful, it will be detrimental.

    Oh, and if you really want to get depressed, just think! The coming inflation will really rock and sock you in the pocket-book.

    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  27. No littleoldlady, lurking, reading articles, drinking coffee, sneaking fruicup, checking weather......


    /so much to do in the hour I get up before heading to work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. When you checked, was the weather there? ;-)

    Mona Charen: "This is moral leadership?"

    ReplyDelete
  29. Actually the weather hasn't changed from yesterday afternoon. Only difference is that it's darker. About the same temp all bloody night, 11-12 degrees (about 53 for you Murricans). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. FABULOUS. It's 37° here. This isn't fair! You stole our weather!!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well, it's about seasonal here. Actually for awhile it was a little above seasonal. Considering how often this month it's been below, we deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good morning.

    Look for the market to open on the upside as several companies are reporting very good profits. Apple is up 46%, beating all estimates.

    This needs to eventually translate into job growth for the standard of living to increase.

    ReplyDelete
  33. time for me to hit the road. See you all at the end of this thread and the start of the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This needs to eventually translate into job growth for the standard of living to increase

    What are the chances, 3 wood? Oil is up to $80. The dollar is in trouble. And although I can't find the article right now, I read something (yesterday, I think) about some analysts predicting that a lot of the lost jobs will never come back.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Uh-oh. Looks like the Fed mislead Bank of America on the Merrill Lynch acquisition:


    Bank of America Was Told U.S. Aid May Help Shares, E-Mail Shows

    "Oct. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Bank of America Corp. signed off on its government-assisted purchase of Merrill Lynch & Co. after U.S. regulators said the deal may boost the shares, e-mails from two executives showed. Instead, the stock collapsed.

    “The chairman of the Federal Reserve indicated it would be structured in a manner such that BAC stock should go up when announced,” Chief Financial Officer Joe Price said in a Dec. 29 e-mail to executives of the Charlotte, North Carolina-based bank, including Chief Executive Officer Kenneth D. Lewis.

    Merrill, the world’s biggest broker, agreed to be acquired after more than $50 billion of losses and writedowns tied to the collapse of the U.S. subprime-mortgage market. By Jan. 8, a week after the purchase was completed and before details were disclosed, federal officials changed their view of the deal, according to an e-mail from former Bank of America Treasurer Jeff Brown."

    It will be a very, very long time before private business ever trusts the government again.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The study also estimates that the virus — commonly referred to as the swine flu bug — will infect about 60 percent of the U.S. population, although only about 25 percent of Americans will fall ill.

    So, theoretically, I might have already caught it and gotten over it without ever even noticing. PANIC!!!!1!!11!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. littleoldlady: Sometimes I sit here and talk/link to myself while you all go to bed.

    Careful. You'll go blind.

    NYTimes to cut 100 newsroom jobs. — Not like they need them or anything. The opinion columnists can write the news items and no one will know the difference.

    Aren't they already doing that?

    I'm mighty surprised they didn't just declare the Democrat the winner. (Who needs an election?!)

    They can't quite get away with doing that. Yet. But they may Franken the election.

    ReplyDelete
  38. 3 wood: It will be a very, very long time before private business ever trusts the government again.

    If only it were possible to replace "government" with "Democratic Party" in that sentence. Why any big business would ever donate money to the Dems (apart from the various racial and environmental extortion schemes) is a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Careful. You'll go blind.

    I'm not likely to go blind. I had cataract surgery about 10 years ago so my eyes are now FOREVER (albeit fake ;-) It's going CRAZY I really worry about...

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's going CRAZY I really worry about...

    "You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" -The Tick

    ReplyDelete
  41. On the other hand...

    "And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!"
    -The Tick

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yesterday my horrorscope ended with, "Rational thinking is highly over-rated."

    I'm still trying to process that.

    Oh. Wait.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Morning C2. I was on the road and see I missed some good topics the past few days. Should have just read up on those instead of watching the Bears drop a big stinker in Atlanta Sunday night. I see one regards a Katrina/global warming lawsuit ... State of Fear, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  44. My horoscope: "It's all over but the shouting, but don't worry: It's going to be great shouting."

    ReplyDelete
  45. UK's Brown: "There's no Plan B"

    My way or the highway? Please, let me spring for a map so you don't get lost on your way home.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Maybe I'll become a stagehand:



    Stagehand Moving Props Makes $530,044 at N.Y.C.’s Carnegie Hall

    "Oct. 20 (Bloomberg) -- After you practice for years and get to Carnegie Hall, it’s almost better to move music stands than actually play the piano.

    Depending on wattage, a star pianist can receive $20,000 a night at the 118-year-old hall, meaning he or she would have to perform at least 27 times to match the income of Dennis O’Connell, who oversees props at the New York concert hall.

    O’Connell made $530,044 in salary and benefits during the fiscal year that ended in June 2008. The four other members of the full-time stage crew -- two carpenters and two electricians -- had an average income of $430,543 during the same period, according to Carnegie Hall’s tax return.

    At Carnegie Hall, which has featured on its three stages such varied musicians as Duke Ellington, Bob Dylan and the Berlin Philharmonic, only Artistic and Executive Director Clive Gillinson makes more than the stagehands.

    Gillinson earned $946,581 in salary and benefits in the fiscal year that ended in June 2008. Chief Financial Officer Richard Matlaga made $352,139, while General Manager Anna Weber received $341,542."

    And to think I wasted years in grad school.....

    ReplyDelete
  47. Bwahahaha! I'm a Pisces, too!

    /we can spend the day yelling at each other...WOO WOO!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Got to get ready to teach an early class.

    Later.

    ReplyDelete
  49. 3 wood,

    You don't get it. They work A LOT of overtime!

    ReplyDelete
  50. 3 Wood -- Holy crap!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Bwahahaha! I'm a Pisces, too!

    That's kind of fishy.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I used to work for a stage rigging company. The hourly rate was what you might call "nice money" especially when they had to charge union scale.

    What you posted though, 3 wood...that's OUTRAGEOUS money.

    ReplyDelete
  53. 'Morning, Centaur! :-)

    Oh. 3 wood is gone...

    ReplyDelete
  54. We have our PRIORITIES, after all!

    Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he's going to sign an environmental exemption bill that will clear the way for construction of the LA Stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  55. What you posted though, 3 wood...that's OUTRAGEOUS money.

    Yes, it is. But what can you do? It's the other guys who decide what salaries are "too greedy" and take it upon themselves to try to limit them.

    ReplyDelete
  56. JamesTKirk,

    That's correct, and I have nothing say about it...except that if I was one of the executive managers I'd be just a tad p*ssed off.

    My point was, that salary is certainly NOT representative of the jobs in that industry. And I'll bet that at other venues around the country people in the same or similar jobs don't even come CLOSE.

    ReplyDelete
  57. except that if I was one of the executive managers I'd be just a tad p*ssed off.

    But rather than reducing the salary of the stage hands (can't get that by the unions), the managers will insist on getting equally huge salaries... the costs to be passed on to the consumers in the form of even higher ticket prices.

    ReplyDelete