I need something fixed in a machine shop--an antique brass candelabra that some moron cut the stem of, and that some other moron tried to mend with a very tiny rod that, naturally, broke.
I need to find someone who can tap/thread the two pieces exactly and then put in a piece of brass threaded rod about 1/2" long, perhaps coated w/epoxy (braizing/soldering worries me a bit) so that the thing will stay solid.
Do you have any tips on how to be confident I'm talking to someone who knows what he's doing? There are a lot of small metalwork shops in Brooklyn (mostly iron), and I've seen some good and some very bad work. How to be able to tell?
Talking about a vertical solid-brass spindle maybe 1/2" to 9/16" in diameter. Top piece--the piece cut off--is maybe an inch, and the outside is threaded (hand-tapped).
The hand-tapped thread goes into a hole at the bottom of the superstructure, a piece of cast brass w/two lions, which support 3 cups for candles.
It's probably Russian, about 120-150 years old. In perfect shape, except for this damned cut.
Its hard to say how well someone will do without seeing their work, your looking for a craftsman as well as a machinist, the two do coincide, but most certainly not always.
Just a drive-by post for now. My daughter needs a copy of "All Quiet on the Western Front" by tomorrow, and it's faster for me to drive out to Barnes & Noble than to find the copy I know we have somewhere in the house.
Brandy, I trust you to keep my beer cold until I get back. TTFN!
Any idea what a "reasonable" price for something like this would be?
It's the sort of thing which frankly could be done in 10 minutes by someone who knows what he's doing; the failed repair provides a sighting/reference/aligning point for both pieces, so all one would have to do is clamp piece #1 in place, tap to about 3/8", then put the other piece in and line it up and do the same thing.
It's very frustrating to know exactly what has to be done and not have the tools to do it--because that way if I screwed it up I'd have nobody but myself to blame.
I volunteered to/got stuck with the job of finding some door handles for the sanctuary doors of my synagogue earlier this summer. I tried a bunch of places selling new stuff, and the prices were astronomical and the quality of castings terrible.
I decided to go vintage and ended up checking architectural salvage places from Brooklyn to LA, where I finally found some beautiful stuff--solid brass with chestnut spindles, for about 1/3 to 1/4 what works of similar size would cost new. So we were able to get a set for the inside and for the outside, too, and stay more or less within budget.
But...they were vintage, which meant the wood finish was spotty, and the wrong color for the doors--and all the brass had naturally tarnished underneath the lacquer finish.
So I had to find refinishers. The prices were all over the place, and I ended up having one shop do the wood and schlepping all the disassembled metal to a polishing shop in Queens. Beautiful jobs, both places--but what a task.
Evening, all. So my kids are feeling better, but now the school is closed for 3 days because 33% of the school is out sick. Can't win for losing. Could I have a Bells beer please, Brandy?
OLT, an old Chuck Norris movie had a line in it that I always found funny. "How would you like to bite that on the ass, get lock jaw and be dragged to death"
Depressing news here in the town where I live. The Hallmark store is closing, a hardware store (after 40+ years in business), a nursery (25 years in business) and an automotive repair shop (10 years in business. Damn.
I am totally worn out -- I don't think I've had more than about 5 hours sleep any night for the last couple of days. On the other hand, we have heat and hot water finally.
At football practice tonight I had to fill in for about an hour's scrimmage at Defensive End. The last time I played D-End was during the Carter Administration. I am sore.
By the way, guys, we just discovered someone is tweaking with the style sheet or removing the changes we applied to it - so if things look weird for a second, that's why. Bare is fixing it.
Spencer -- what's hanging is my gut. That said, it was fun out their with the kids, but it's been a while since I had to move like that. And, c'mon -- they had pads and cleats. I was out there in a sweatshirt and my tennis shoes.
CC, did anyone else have trouble getting on this site this morning? It took me almost two hours to get here. Even after clearing the cache and rebooting it took forever to load.
Brandy, I see the avatars are back to empty boxes too - no idea what's going on. Most of it has been fixed, but the default avatar Pi Guy wrote into the code is gone, apparently.
Hey Lucius.... Funny you mention football. I am not coaching this year but have for the previous 6. It gets to be challenging when the kids start to turn 12 or 13. Some of them are little men that can really put a hurtin on an old fool like me.
Having lived in a succession of crummy New York apartments, I am well aware of how vile being without heat and hot water can be.
It is instructive to consider how recent these taken for granted amenities are. I knew someone 30 years ago who lived in an unconverted cold-water flat; you wanted heat or hot water you had to fire up your own gas.
The tenement where I first lived when I came to NY was one of those that originally probably had an outhouse in the back yard, then was converted to a single toilet per floor serving four apartments. When I moved in, two of the apartments per floor (mine, fortunately, one of them) had their water closets in the apartment---the other two had them in the hallway, and the tenants had to leave their apartments and unlock them to use them.
None of the apartments had bathrooms; all of them had tubs in the kitchen. It was a big step up to move to an apartment which actually had a bathroom.
CC, did anyone else have trouble getting on this site this morning? It took me almost two hours to get here. Even after clearing the cache and rebooting it took forever to load.
I had no trouble, PBJ - what was happening when you tried?
HATE preacher Anjem Choudary sparked fury yesterday after calling for the Queen to become Muslim.
He demanded an Islamic revolution across Britain.
Choudary, 42, said Her Majesty - head of the Church of England - should convert to ensure her place in paradise.
He also wants to see senior members of the Government switching faiths. Choudary, a key henchman of rabble rousing cleric Omar Bakri, said: "We invite everyone from the Queen, to the ministers, to the Parliament, to the aristocracy, to the ordinary person in Britain to embrace Islam.
"Save yourself and your children in this life from misery and prepare them for a great destiny in the hereafter."
He made his call during an internet rant to promote a march in London later this month supporting Sharia law.
/so much for peaceful integration into British society
Yeah DEZ, I saw it on cable maybe 10 years ago and just saw the DVD at the library. Great movie, sort of campy but then it veers into a real horror movie. Oh, also Jerusalem's Lot.
The coffee thread had 226 posts but the new post wasn't showing after refreshing over and over. During the load it styled forever on "i3ytimg.com" "gdata.youtube.com" and "query y.mcs.mavenapp.net" to name a few. Even after clearing the cache and reloading it was a nightmare.
Corre∫pondence Committee said... By the way, guys, we just discovered someone is tweaking with the style sheet or removing the changes we applied to it - so if things look weird for a second, that's why. Bare is fixing it.
If it's one of our own people, please stop. LOL
I just noticed the flags missing, so I've re-added them, if that helps.
Spenser, It was a fun movie, sadly I seldom forget a movie. its a curse I tell ya! One of my favorite stupid horror movies is Return of the Living Dead.
None of the apartments had bathrooms; all of them had tubs in the kitchen. It was a big step up to move to an apartment which actually had a bathroom.
That's incredible. The house in the midwest I grew up in was very old, but had two bathrooms. My grandfather (who built it) was a plumber, though, and it was considered a "mansion" at the time.
Of course, by the time I was born, all those standards had changed - but at one point bathrooms were indeed a luxury.
CC: The old-law tenements with tubs in the kitchen were the cheap freemarket solution to housing during the great immigrant influx; the maximum amount of rentable apartment space on the minimum amount of land.
Usually, they were 4 apartments to the floor. Each apartment had a front room about 10 or 12 feet square, a kitchen with tub about 8 x 10, and a back room on an air shaft about 6 x9.
That is what immigrant families lived in---if they were lucky, because those were the NEW (and brick) buildings in 1880, not the tumbledown wooden houses which were dark, crinkum-crankum, and bug-filled.
These apartments were where all those old "you know those [insert perjorative name for immigrants here]; if you give them bathtubs, they'll only keep coal in them" lines come from. Yes, people kept coal in them, because you had to heat the place too and there was no other space to put it in.
These apartments were where all those old "you know those [insert perjorative name for immigrants here]; if you give them bathtubs, they'll only keep coal in them" lines come from. Yes, people kept coal in them, because you had to heat the place too and there was no other space to put it in.
My childhood home was heated with coal, too. We had a basement where a room was dedicated to storing it.
Two bathrooms AND a room just to store coal. Now I realize how great I had it! ; )
P.S. My adopted nephew is Bulgarian. Just a couple of years ago, a friend of his father's - a woman from eastern Europe - seemed to almost expect the boy to build a fire in the middle of the livingroom floor, and said as much to me. She also told my sister-in-law not to "worry", because my nephew didn't "look like a gypsy".
FIRST!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the Pub!
ReplyDeleteAll to easy!
ReplyDeleteYou made it, DEZ! What can I get you? How about some pants?
ReplyDeleteHello gorgeous!
ReplyDeletePants would be nice.
ReplyDeleteOkay, its just the two of us.
ReplyDeleteHere ya go!
ReplyDeleteohhhh! I best rumors will start! Especially since I am holding your pants!
ReplyDeleteEgad, golf pants.
ReplyDelete*Runs away screaming obscenities*
I thought they were just silly pants...
ReplyDeleteLet em talk.
ReplyDeleteCan I get you a drink while we wait for the others?
ReplyDeleteGolf, silly, whats the deference.
ReplyDeleteBeer please.
ReplyDeleteI'm here, and I could use a beer.
ReplyDeleteAnd I won't say anything about where those pants came from.
Pigs in a blanket!
ReplyDeleteGotta keep the piggies warm.
ReplyDeleteone for each of you
ReplyDeleteHey geepers.
ReplyDeleteHi Geepers! I hope you are well this evening!
ReplyDeleteand pants help with that, DEZ
ReplyDeleteHe can have those pants.
ReplyDeleteDOH!
ReplyDeleteAw, heck--I missed the boxing glove!
ReplyDeleteDamn work.
Hey DEZ.
ReplyDeleteHey Brandi.
I'm fine, but if I keep this schedule up by the time the party gets here I'll be a no show.
BUZZ!
ReplyDeleteKnocking!
ReplyDeleteHey, DEZ.
ReplyDeleteGood choice Brandy.
ReplyDeleteHi Buzz! What can I get you, honey?
ReplyDeleteBuzz, what kinda work do you do?
ReplyDeleteHot Wings!
ReplyDeleteSlow night.
ReplyDeleteDEZ, you're tool & die, right?
ReplyDeleteI need something fixed in a machine shop--an antique brass candelabra that some moron cut the stem of, and that some other moron tried to mend with a very tiny rod that, naturally, broke.
I need to find someone who can tap/thread the two pieces exactly and then put in a piece of brass threaded rod about 1/2" long, perhaps coated w/epoxy (braizing/soldering worries me a bit) so that the thing will stay solid.
Do you have any tips on how to be confident I'm talking to someone who knows what he's doing? There are a lot of small metalwork shops in Brooklyn (mostly iron), and I've seen some good and some very bad work. How to be able to tell?
Sure is, DEZ. Where is everyone? Doing something crazy like eating dinner with their family?
ReplyDeleteI'm teetotaling tonight.
ReplyDeleteDEZ: I do copyright & trademark law. I used to do other things.
ReplyDeleteWant a coke? Ice tea? Water?
ReplyDelete"Want some ice water? Peel an onion, that'll make your ice water."
ReplyDelete--Groucho Marx, "The Coconuts"
Buzz, what kind of wall thickness are you working with here?
ReplyDeleteHe is sooo dreamy.
ReplyDeleteTalking about a vertical solid-brass spindle maybe 1/2" to 9/16" in diameter. Top piece--the piece cut off--is maybe an inch, and the outside is threaded (hand-tapped).
ReplyDeleteThe hand-tapped thread goes into a hole at the bottom of the superstructure, a piece of cast brass w/two lions, which support 3 cups for candles.
It's probably Russian, about 120-150 years old. In perfect shape, except for this damned cut.
Its hard to say how well someone will do without seeing their work, your looking for a craftsman as well as a machinist, the two do coincide, but most certainly not always.
ReplyDeleteBuzz, I seldom do this, but where are you located?
ReplyDeleteJust a drive-by post for now. My daughter needs a copy of "All Quiet on the Western Front" by tomorrow, and it's faster for me to drive out to Barnes & Noble than to find the copy I know we have somewhere in the house.
ReplyDeleteBrandy, I trust you to keep my beer cold until I get back. TTFN!
It will be cold and waiting upon your return. Drive safely!
ReplyDeleteStill here Buzz?
ReplyDeleteAny idea what a "reasonable" price for something like this would be?
ReplyDeleteIt's the sort of thing which frankly could be done in 10 minutes by someone who knows what he's doing; the failed repair provides a sighting/reference/aligning point for both pieces, so all one would have to do is clamp piece #1 in place, tap to about 3/8", then put the other piece in and line it up and do the same thing.
It's very frustrating to know exactly what has to be done and not have the tools to do it--because that way if I screwed it up I'd have nobody but myself to blame.
Hey all. Buzz if you were in S. Africa or if my Grandfather was still alive I could set you up. What ever you do look at their craftmanship FIRST.
ReplyDeleteI'm in Brooklyn--which, as I said, abounds in small metal shops, but competence and a touch of the poet or craftsman is something else again.
ReplyDeleteShop prices vary wildly from area to area.
ReplyDeleteDepending on the work I am doing, my shop gets 70 dollars to 100 dollars an hour for my work.
BTW, I hope I got the terminology right. I figure I'm close enough for you guys to follow what I mean.
ReplyDeleteHeres the deal, I will do it for free.
ReplyDeleteUPS it to me, and pay for shipping, you will not be able to see the repair.
ReplyDeletebuzzsawmonkey,
ReplyDeleteDuct tape.
Wow, DEZ. That is so very sweet of you.
ReplyDeleteDamn DEZ that is great. Buzz you can't get better than that.
ReplyDeleteDuck tape will cost extra.
ReplyDeleteChoosing craftsmen is a job.
ReplyDeleteI volunteered to/got stuck with the job of finding some door handles for the sanctuary doors of my synagogue earlier this summer. I tried a bunch of places selling new stuff, and the prices were astronomical and the quality of castings terrible.
I decided to go vintage and ended up checking architectural salvage places from Brooklyn to LA, where I finally found some beautiful stuff--solid brass with chestnut spindles, for about 1/3 to 1/4 what works of similar size would cost new. So we were able to get a set for the inside and for the outside, too, and stay more or less within budget.
But...they were vintage, which meant the wood finish was spotty, and the wrong color for the doors--and all the brass had naturally tarnished underneath the lacquer finish.
So I had to find refinishers. The prices were all over the place, and I ended up having one shop do the wood and schlepping all the disassembled metal to a polishing shop in Queens. Beautiful jobs, both places--but what a task.
Oh and BTW. Seeing as I survived a 85mph blowout the next round is on me.
ReplyDeleteBrandy ring the bell please. :)))
Its not sweet, Buzz has always made me laugh.
ReplyDeleteThats priceless.
DING DING! What can I get for you, Erik?
ReplyDeleteWOW, DEZ. That's very, very generous of you. I wasn't angling--honest--and hope that I didn't come across that way.
ReplyDeleteNow, how do I find out where to send it? I'm still confused by this gmail thing.
Understand buzz, most of the old world craftsmen are gone, they are a dieing breed in the fast food world.
ReplyDeleteEvening, kids.
ReplyDeleteI see we are talking shop!
/gives DEZ the finger
'Ere you go, lad; you'll be needin' that I'd wager.
/
Hello, OLT! What will it be this evening?
ReplyDeleteI will post the address of the company I work for.
ReplyDeleteSend it there if you will.
I offered, you were not angling.
Thats been in your nose again hasnt it OLT.
ReplyDeleteDEZ--PF has (hell, she set up) my email.
ReplyDeleteBar Wench Brandy said...
ReplyDeleteDING DING! What can I get for you, Erik?
Hell I just dropped $500 on new tyres, mine as well make it the best. :)))
I'll be joinin buzz in the teetotaller aisle ... howzabout a nice Coca-Cola over crushed ice?
ReplyDeleteThat finger has been more places than a fruit cake lost in trans-Atlantic shipping.
ReplyDeleteIs this pricey enough?
ReplyDeleteDEZ--I'm really touched. Really.
ReplyDeleteDEZ said...
ReplyDeleteI will post the address of the company I work for.
Send it there if you will.
Send it to me DEZ. I will forward it to buzz. Don't post it here buddy.
OLT, all joking aside, they will be yanking the pins outta my finger Thursday.
ReplyDeleteThat should be fun.
here you are, OLT
ReplyDeletebuzzsawmonkey said...
ReplyDeleteDEZ--I'm really touched. Really.
That'd be the finger, again. Mind where it touches you.
Erik's right, DEZ.
ReplyDeleteBar Wench Brandy said...
ReplyDeleteIs this pricey enough?
Thanks Brandy. :)))
Good thinking Eric, or just give Buzz my E-mail addy.
ReplyDeleteDEZ said...
ReplyDeleteOLT, all joking aside, they will be yanking the pins outta my finger Thursday.
That should be fun.
See if Brandy has anything you can bite on while the sawbones works you over.
;)
Yes he is Buzz, yes he is.
ReplyDeleteBTW, once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
ReplyDeleteSilver Bullet!
ReplyDeleteGreat my finger has 2 pins in it.
ReplyDeleteTwo kabooms.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteBrandy, OLT says you have something I can bite on?
ReplyDeleteI posted a silver bullet for ya!
ReplyDeleteBuzz, Eric can forward my e-mail addy to you will that work?
ReplyDeleteDEZ--perfect, as long as he includes who to address it to.
ReplyDeleteOh--stupid me. Yes, addy to me, me to you, then send.
ReplyDeleteIt's been a long day. Sorry.
A bullet, my luck never changes.
ReplyDelete*sigh*
Will do DEZ. Buzz incoming shortly.
ReplyDeleteGood we will go from there then.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the grins Buzz.
Evening, all. So my kids are feeling better, but now the school is closed for 3 days because 33% of the school is out sick. Can't win for losing. Could I have a Bells beer please, Brandy?
ReplyDeleteGood evening C2ers. How is everyone today?
ReplyDeletesorry DEZ, I tried
ReplyDeleteSpencer!
ReplyDeleteIncoming buzz. :)))
ReplyDeleteBell's Beer up! Enjoy, Spenser.
ReplyDeleteGood evening, PBJ! What can I get you this evening?
ReplyDeletehere come da buzz
ReplyDeletehere come da buzz
ever'body watch out, 'cuz here come da buzz
/flip gonna discover ray charles!
OLT, an old Chuck Norris movie had a line in it that I always found funny.
ReplyDelete"How would you like to bite that on the ass, get lock jaw and be dragged to death"
Hi Brandy! I take a Bombay martini with a lemon twist if you please.
ReplyDeleteDang, Brandy! Thanks, you're fast.
ReplyDelete/um...at service only I mean *blush*
Spencer, she has silver bullets!
ReplyDeleteand I know how to use them!
ReplyDeleteThanks Brandy! What a pretty martini.
ReplyDeleteHey DEZ. I just thought of something. You need to check your email, shortly. :)))
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteNo "other blog" gossip.
ReplyDelete/thanks
I bought a new cast iron pot today to cook chili in.
ReplyDeleteWent to get a beer from the fridge and the cat is sleeping in the pot.
decisions, decisions.
Cat chili ...
ReplyDeleteIs your decision how far to kick the cat?
ReplyDelete/
Depressing news here in the town where I live. The Hallmark store is closing, a hardware store (after 40+ years in business), a nursery (25 years in business) and an automotive repair shop (10 years in business. Damn.
ReplyDeleteDEZ said...
ReplyDeleteThanks for the grins Buzz.
Entirely my pleasure.
Watch your email.
DEZ said...
ReplyDeleteI bought a new cast iron pot today to cook chili in.
Went to get a beer from the fridge and the cat is sleeping in the pot.
decisions, decisions.
Beer pot cat. Sounds good to me. :))
Hmmm, had a great video for DEZ, but I can't copy and paste for some reason.
ReplyDeleteErik The Red said...
ReplyDeleteBeer pot cat. Sounds good to me. :))
Probably sounds even better in Chinese, and I've probably ordered it.
;)
Take two. Here's a solution to your dilema DEZ. :)
ReplyDeleteHey kids.
ReplyDeleteI am totally worn out -- I don't think I've had more than about 5 hours sleep any night for the last couple of days. On the other hand, we have heat and hot water finally.
At football practice tonight I had to fill in for about an hour's scrimmage at Defensive End. The last time I played D-End was during the Carter Administration. I am sore.
What can I get you, Lucius? Glad you joined us for a bit!
ReplyDeletePBJ, that is sad and I'm from MI so I know sad. It's like we're living in a Springsteen song (not Born to Run, either).
ReplyDeleteI'll have scotch, neat.
ReplyDeleteGood on ya, Lucius.
ReplyDeleteI played left end tackle ...
I was left on the end of the bench, and assigned to tackle anyone who tried to get into the Gatorade.
/not really
Single malt.
ReplyDeleteScotch up!
ReplyDeleteHey Lucius. I'd ask what's hangin', but I think you just told us.
ReplyDeleteReply sent Buzz.
ReplyDeleteA dreary evening in my neck of the woods.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, guys, we just discovered someone is tweaking with the style sheet or removing the changes we applied to it - so if things look weird for a second, that's why. Bare is fixing it.
ReplyDeleteIf it's one of our own people, please stop. LOL
We have poltergeists, CC?
ReplyDeleteThanks Brandy.
ReplyDeleteSpencer -- what's hanging is my gut. That said, it was fun out their with the kids, but it's been a while since I had to move like that. And, c'mon -- they had pads and cleats. I was out there in a sweatshirt and my tennis shoes.
Not me. I am sitting on my hands. Hey where is Sas? :)))
ReplyDeleteKitty cat stew.
ReplyDeleteBuzz can do a better ditty on that than I can.
CC, did anyone else have trouble getting on this site this morning? It took me almost two hours to get here. Even after clearing the cache and rebooting it took forever to load.
ReplyDeleteFavorite horror movies?
ReplyDelete-Fright Night
-Disney's Ichabod Crane
Brandy, I see the avatars are back to empty boxes too - no idea what's going on. Most of it has been fixed, but the default avatar Pi Guy wrote into the code is gone, apparently.
ReplyDeleteMaybe Blogspot is working on things? No idea.
Hmmmmmm.
Hey Lucius....
ReplyDeleteFunny you mention football. I am not coaching this year but have for the previous 6. It gets to be challenging when the kids start to turn 12 or 13. Some of them are little men that can really put a hurtin on an old fool like me.
Having lived in a succession of crummy New York apartments, I am well aware of how vile being without heat and hot water can be.
ReplyDeleteIt is instructive to consider how recent these taken for granted amenities are. I knew someone 30 years ago who lived in an unconverted cold-water flat; you wanted heat or hot water you had to fire up your own gas.
The tenement where I first lived when I came to NY was one of those that originally probably had an outhouse in the back yard, then was converted to a single toilet per floor serving four apartments. When I moved in, two of the apartments per floor (mine, fortunately, one of them) had their water closets in the apartment---the other two had them in the hallway, and the tenants had to leave their apartments and unlock them to use them.
None of the apartments had bathrooms; all of them had tubs in the kitchen. It was a big step up to move to an apartment which actually had a bathroom.
CC, did anyone else have trouble getting on this site this morning? It took me almost two hours to get here. Even after clearing the cache and rebooting it took forever to load.
ReplyDeleteI had no trouble, PBJ - what was happening when you tried?
Spenser:
ReplyDeleteFright night the movie?
I haven't seen that in... wow, 20 years or more.
Hate preacher tells Queen: Turn Muslim
ReplyDeleteHATE preacher Anjem Choudary sparked fury yesterday after calling for the Queen to become Muslim.
He demanded an Islamic revolution across Britain.
Choudary, 42, said Her Majesty - head of the Church of England - should convert to ensure her place in paradise.
He also wants to see senior members of the Government switching faiths. Choudary, a key henchman of rabble rousing cleric Omar Bakri, said: "We invite everyone from the Queen, to the ministers, to the Parliament, to the aristocracy, to the ordinary person in Britain to embrace Islam.
"Save yourself and your children in this life from misery and prepare them for a great destiny in the hereafter."
He made his call during an internet rant to promote a march in London later this month supporting Sharia law.
/so much for peaceful integration into British society
Yeah DEZ, I saw it on cable maybe 10 years ago and just saw the DVD at the library. Great movie, sort of campy but then it veers into a real horror movie. Oh, also Jerusalem's Lot.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine, Buzz. I enjoy my hot soaks in the tub!
ReplyDeleteThe coffee thread had 226 posts but the new post wasn't showing after refreshing over and over. During the load it styled forever on "i3ytimg.com" "gdata.youtube.com" and "query y.mcs.mavenapp.net" to name a few. Even after clearing the cache and reloading it was a nightmare.
ReplyDeleteCorre∫pondence Committee said...
ReplyDeleteBy the way, guys, we just discovered someone is tweaking with the style sheet or removing the changes we applied to it - so if things look weird for a second, that's why. Bare is fixing it.
If it's one of our own people, please stop. LOL
I just noticed the flags missing, so I've re-added them, if that helps.
PIMF - stalled LOL
ReplyDeleteI'm back! Brandy, a Heinekin light, por favor?
ReplyDeleteI can't believe I got out of a bookstore in half an hour and only bought two books besides the one I came in for.
That is a little better. Thanks RB.
ReplyDeleteSpenser, It was a fun movie, sadly I seldom forget a movie. its a curse I tell ya!
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite stupid horror movies is Return of the Living Dead.
Hi all.
ReplyDeleteBrandy, I need a beer...4-H meetings suck.
Thanks for helping there Eric.
ReplyDeleteHeinie!
ReplyDeleteNone of the apartments had bathrooms; all of them had tubs in the kitchen. It was a big step up to move to an apartment which actually had a bathroom.
ReplyDeleteThat's incredible. The house in the midwest I grew up in was very old, but had two bathrooms. My grandfather (who built it) was a plumber, though, and it was considered a "mansion" at the time.
Of course, by the time I was born, all those standards had changed - but at one point bathrooms were indeed a luxury.
Creepy. : )
Here, Jorline!
ReplyDeleteErik The Red said...
ReplyDeleteThat is a little better. Thanks RB.
Actually, it was me who added the flags back in.
Jorline said "4-H meetings suck."
ReplyDeleteWow, Jorline. You really get up close and personal on the Calf-feeding demonstrations, huh?
There is a reason people had pee pots and a window to use em with. ;)
ReplyDeleteK/B - thanks.
ReplyDeleteLMAO Spencer.
ReplyDeleteOooops, its Spenser with an S!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Brandy!
ReplyDeleteOh shit. Thanks Pi Guy. :)))
ReplyDeleteDEZ said...
Thanks for helping there Eric.
My pleasure DEZ. :)))
Erik The Red said...
ReplyDeleteOh shit. Thanks Pi Guy. :))
You're welcome.
:)
Has anyone heard from Sas.?
ReplyDeleteCC: The old-law tenements with tubs in the kitchen were the cheap freemarket solution to housing during the great immigrant influx; the maximum amount of rentable apartment space on the minimum amount of land.
ReplyDeleteUsually, they were 4 apartments to the floor. Each apartment had a front room about 10 or 12 feet square, a kitchen with tub about 8 x 10, and a back room on an air shaft about 6 x9.
That is what immigrant families lived in---if they were lucky, because those were the NEW (and brick) buildings in 1880, not the tumbledown wooden houses which were dark, crinkum-crankum, and bug-filled.
These apartments were where all those old "you know those [insert perjorative name for immigrants here]; if you give them bathtubs, they'll only keep coal in them" lines come from. Yes, people kept coal in them, because you had to heat the place too and there was no other space to put it in.
no, I haven't seen him this evening, DEZ
ReplyDeletePi Guy, we had borders and stuff all of a sudden, and orange fonts - I got askeeered! lol
ReplyDeleteCoal baths, get your coal baths.
ReplyDeleteLater C-2ers. Back to work with me. Lots of projects for the next couple of weeks. Take care, all.
ReplyDeleteAnd with that little bit of social history, I must sign off.
ReplyDelete'Nite, all.
Corre∫pondence Committee said...
ReplyDeletePi Guy, we had borders and stuff all of a sudden, and orange fonts - I got askeeered! lol
Any idea what caused it?
Spenser (with an S) said...
ReplyDeleteWow, Jorline. You really get up close and personal on the Calf-feeding demonstrations, huh?
lmao, I participate Spenser.
Calf, goat, pig...a teet is a teet.
This is why Texans quickly learn to say "PUH-cahn" instead of "pee-CAN".
ReplyDelete'Cuz some joker would give you a slop jar.
Brandy, have you seen him since last week?
ReplyDeleteGood night, Buzz! Hope we see you soon!
ReplyDeleteLater Buzz.
ReplyDeleteLater buzz.
ReplyDeleteTime for me to plop as well.
ReplyDelete*PLOP*
DEZ, you couldn't wait for the slop jar?
ReplyDeleteOK gang we've got a new pub thread. Be careful on those stairs.------------------------------>
ReplyDeleteThese apartments were where all those old "you know those [insert perjorative name for immigrants here]; if you give them bathtubs, they'll only keep coal in them" lines come from. Yes, people kept coal in them, because you had to heat the place too and there was no other space to put it in.
ReplyDeleteMy childhood home was heated with coal, too. We had a basement where a room was dedicated to storing it.
Two bathrooms AND a room just to store coal. Now I realize how great I had it! ; )
P.S. My adopted nephew is Bulgarian. Just a couple of years ago, a friend of his father's - a woman from eastern Europe - seemed to almost expect the boy to build a fire in the middle of the livingroom floor, and said as much to me. She also told my sister-in-law not to "worry", because my nephew didn't "look like a gypsy".
Bye Buzz!! YOU ROCK!! (That's a brain my graphic below, right? Not a boxing glove? ; )
ReplyDelete