
Highlights of this day in history: The last natural case of smallpox is discovered; "Baby Fae" receives a heart transplant from a baboon; The United States passes the USA PATRIOT Act into law; The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral takes place at Tombstone, Arizona.
Other notable October 26th events include:
1774 – The first Continental Congress adjourns in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
1775 – King George III goes before Parliament to declare the American colonies in rebellion, and authorized a military response to quell the American Revolution.
1825 – The Erie Canal opens.
1861 – The Pony Express officially ceased operations.
1905 – Norway becomes independent from Sweden.
1951 – Boxer Joe Louis comes out of retirement to fight Rocky Marciano.
1958 – Pan American Airways makes the first commercial flight of the Boeing 707 from New York City to Paris, France.
First!
ReplyDeleteNot first!
ReplyDeleteTres?
ReplyDeleteTres bien!
ReplyDeleteThird? :)
ReplyDeleteOK -- clothes out of the dryer so I can get dressed and go to work.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day, folks.
Lucius, I think you meant "trois". And yes "very well". :)
ReplyDeleteYou mean...up until now you were blogging in the buff, Lucius?
ReplyDeleteWhy not littleoldlady? After all DEZ keeps attending the pub sans pants. :)
ReplyDeleteBut DEZ is an alien!
ReplyDelete/poetic license!
I knew I should have wrote a post on Saturday. Just knew it. Now I am stuck with nothing and I gotta think fast and look at pictures. :p
ReplyDelete/not to mention sorting through the 300+ I took yesterday afternoon.
//burst shot, can be your friend and enemy...
I don't know how much longer I can put off this "crapeting" rip-up...
ReplyDeleteThe Daily Wanker, excuse me, al-Guardian airbrushes Israel of Nobel map.
ReplyDeleteC. P. Scott is spinning in his grave somewhere.
FF: That article was disturbing.
ReplyDeleteStart-Up Nation on the role military experience plays in Israel's start-up company culture, and how the USA could tap the power of its own military veterans in a similar way if corporate recruiters would even know how to read a military resume.
ReplyDeleteRead the whole thing.
When you see Carl in Jerusalem could you direct him to this please?
ReplyDeletehttp://www.informationdissemination.net/2009/10/what-to-do-with-turkey.html
10,000
WARS,
R
U.S. tested 2 Afghan scenarios in war game
ReplyDeleteThe Pentagon's top military officer oversaw a secret war game this month to evaluate the two primary military options that have been put forward by the Pentagon and are being weighed by the Obama administration as part of a broad-based review of the faltering Afghanistan war, senior military officials said.
The exercise, led by Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, examined the likely outcome of inserting 44,000 more troops into the country to conduct a full-scale counterinsurgency effort aimed at building a stable Afghan government that can control most of the country. It also examined adding 10,000 to 15,000 more soldiers and Marines as part of an approach that the military has dubbed "counterterrorism plus."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33476278/ns/politics-washington_post/
Good morning everyone. Monday morning blues.
ReplyDeleteGood morning Render, Kenneth, and Erik. How are things today?
ReplyDeleteWell good morning y'all - from a chilly (48 degrees now, supposedly going up to 66 degrees) overcast Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteI'm doing just fine, now that my Yankees are back where they belong, in the World Series! I was without Internet or Cable TV until around 11:15 PM last evening, so while I didn't have to watch my Giants shoot themselves in the foot,but I did get to "hear" my Yankees win the American League Championship!
And Pi Guy - GREAT job as usual with the Time Capsule! I'd just note that Wikipedia has the Gunfight at the OK Corral just really messed up and incorrect. If any of y'all are interested, the then daily Tombstone Epitath newspaper covered the trial (Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday were put on trial for the murder of three men) and is the closest thing to a written "court record" that exists of the trial, the testimony and such and reprint's of those two days of trial tesitmony can still be purchase from the Tombstone Epitath at:http://www.tombstoneepitaph.com/
And good morning y'all! How is everyone this fine morning?!
The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral takes place at Tombstone, Arizona.
ReplyDeleteAh'm your huckleberry.
Well you're a daisy if you do! LOL! Good morning O.R. how are you doing this morning?
ReplyDeleteAhhh, the muse is in full swing this morning. New post is up on my blog.
ReplyDelete/*shameless blog pimping mode off* :)
Realwest... Eventus stultorum magister.
ReplyDelete(In other words, I'm pretty well, thanks, how are you?)
{real} Congrats on your Yankees. Sorry about your Giants.
ReplyDeleteMy Bears, ouch.
I'm doing well on this very dark, rainy morning. My cats are loving the quietness though. They are curled up next to me, one on each side.
Sorry to burst yer bubble, Realwest, but the Yanks are goin' down like a fat chick on a Clinton :P
ReplyDeleteHow are you this fine morning ?
Hey OR. - the wine is very good! Ooops,no longer in TOMBSTONE the movie mood I see!
ReplyDeleteI'm doing well - thanks to the Yankees!
Glad to hear you're doing well. Are y'all back in the States?
Bonehead of the Day: Taos, NM hotel owner orders Hispanic employees to anglicize their names.
ReplyDeleteThe tough-talking former Marine immediately laid down some new rules. Among them, he forbade the Hispanic workers at the run-down, Southwestern adobe-style hotel from speaking Spanish in his presence (he thought they'd be talking about him), and ordered some to Anglicize their names.
No more Martin (Mahr-TEEN). It was plain-old Martin. No more Marcos. Now it would be Mark.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_trouble_in_taos
Hey there {Gak} good to see you and I can commiserate with you about Da Bears!
ReplyDeleteThe Yankees are going down? To the Phillies?! Hmmm - what' the line?
ReplyDeleteHow are you today Squatch? (and when did y'all shorten your nic?!).
Awful news from Afghanistan:
ReplyDelete14 Americans killed in 2 Afghan helicopter crashes
KABUL – Helicopter crashes killed 14 Americans on Monday in the deadliest day for the U.S. mission in Afghanistan in more than four years. The deaths came as President Barack Obama prepared to meet his national security team for a sixth full-scale conference on the future of the troubled war.
In the first crash, a helicopter went down in the west of the country after leaving the scene of a firefight with insurgents, killing 10 Americans — seven troops and three civilians working for the government. Eleven American troops, one U.S. civilian and 14 Afghans were also injured.
In a separate incident in the south, two other U.S. choppers collided while in flight, killing four American troops and wounding two more, the military said.
Nice a fresh flood of posters. Greets {gak}, Realwest, OR, Squatch. Things have been a little slow this morning it seems like.
ReplyDeleteReal, yes, I'm in DC. No travels planned... for this week, anyway.
ReplyDeleteThat is awful news O.R. - prayers and condolences for their famiies.
ReplyDeleteWorking from home while waiting for the cable TV guy to show up. At this point, I think they guy for the upgrade to HD will show up before the guy for replacing the cable to the street shows up. And he'll be disappointed, because it won't work until that cable is replaced, so I'm not paying.
ReplyDeleteIf they screw up, and I have to work at home another day, I'll get satellite.
How the hell did I end up with a printout of the finger picking pattern to Dust in the Wind in the stack o stuff on my desk this morning? I don't even play guitar, kind of like that song though. Oh morning all, everyone have a good weekend?
ReplyDeleteOR: One of these days we must meet.
ReplyDeleteCRABCAKES
OR
BAR-B-QUE?,
R
Hey PaladinPhil - well of course there's a flood of new commenters - I made a comment and that always brings the lurkers out in full force! LOL!
ReplyDeleteHow are you doing today my friend? Other than shamelessly blog pimping, I mean?!?
Have no idea what the line is, Real.
ReplyDeleteIt should be a good Series though.
Wouldn't mind seeing a 7-gamer.
render, you're in Maryland?
ReplyDeleteHey there Kosh's Shadow, turn and Render! How are each of you doing today?
ReplyDeleteBest of luck with the service calls Kosh, I know what the waiting is like.
ReplyDeleteHad a great weekend turn. Should be an interesting week as well I think. Going to be going for a great autumn shot after work. When I get a card reader, also after work, I may post it online for people to oooh, and ahhh over.
Whoa, you ought to see the sunrise over the Sierras this morning, absolutely stunning. Blues, pinks, yellows, purples ...
ReplyDeleteOR - awful news. Obama "prepared" to meet his national security team for a sixth full-scale conference on the future of the troubled war? He has to take his head out of the sand at some point and make a decision.
ReplyDeleteMorning Phil.
ReplyDeleteHope to be back up Tuesday night, Wed at the latest.
I shortened it just because it's easier, Real.
PaladinPhil - Good morning to you.
ReplyDeletegak--
ReplyDeleteObama "prepared" to meet his national security team
Big of him, isn't it?
/
Just got stupid make money online spam from a hotmail address pointing to a blogspot blog. I guess that's another way of getting around the spam filters.
ReplyDeleteI forwarded it to abuse at both places.
Morning real, doing fine. Glad to hear you're doing good. You're happy about those Yankees heh?
ReplyDeleteBlues, pinks, yellows, purples ...
ReplyDeleteI'll have what turn's having.
Hey Squatch - yep, I think it SHOULD be a great series -two excellent ballclubs. But hell, if it goes the full 7 games, we'll finish the World Series just in time to prep for Thanksgiving! LOL!.
ReplyDeleteI just hope each team plays well and that the Yankees win -er- the best team wins!
Huh, speaking of how long the WS will last, I wonder if they'll still get a "travel day"?
Morning {turn}.
ReplyDeleteOf course Obama has to prepare to meet his national security team. He has to be reminded that he's supposed to be for national security of the US, not anyplace else.
ReplyDeleteHad a great weekend turn.
ReplyDeleteHey blue, we're facebook friends now.
OR: Yup. 25 miles north of you.
ReplyDeleteEVIL
EMPIRE,
R
Morning Squatch - that is easier. : )
ReplyDeleteI'll have what turn's having.
ReplyDeleteDidn't I say there were good arguments for legalizing all drugs OR? ha
Kosh's Shadow said...
ReplyDeleteOf course Obama has to prepare to meet his national security team.
He's drilling with flash cards right now.
Q: The current top-of-the-line US air superiority fighter is called the...
Obama: Uhh.... Spitfire... bomber... thingy?
Hi Kosh - I hate spam. Cyber or the meat kind.
ReplyDeleteReal: I am doing good, considering I pulled a 24 hour all nighter yesterday. Worth every minute I think. Going to be very busy personally for the coming month I think.
ReplyDelete{gal} How's it going? Jeeze I'm going to have to really get some work done this week, but no way am I going to study this finger picking lesson!
ReplyDeleteHey Turn I sure am! It's been too long (for a Yankee fan) to see them back in the WS! This will be the Yank's 40th World Series! And I'll hopefully get to see Derek Jeter a)set the record for World Series Home Runs [which weems right, since he hasn't taken any steroids] if he hits just one home run and b) get to see the Yanks win their 27th World Series!
ReplyDeleteSo yeah, I'm excited about the Yankees getting to the Series!
oh koolness...
ReplyDeleteThe Blogger phrase "Conflicting edits" is a cheap excuse to delete your entire comment.
WE'RE
SORRY,
R
Great turn, have you seen my latest profile picture? A friend of mine said I looked like an extra from the Sopranos when she went through some of my profile pictures. :)
ReplyDelete/I can look real mean when I want to.
render, I think we may have (or be acquiring) a few other MD/DC/VA near-ish C2ers. A beermeetup in the near future could be doable.
ReplyDeleteHey there {Gak} - do you perfer "girl" or "gak"?
ReplyDeleteI've always been partially to Gak just cause it was a cool mistake to make! But I'll call you whatever you prefer, same as with my buddy
Squatch!!
render, on long posts I've gotten into the habit of control c'ing the post before I post it. I've been burned half a dozen times now.
ReplyDeleteHey PaladinPhil - what did you do that required an all nighter? Do y'all mean work on your blog?
ReplyDeletegak, if you please.
ReplyDeleteGreat turn, have you seen my latest profile picture?
ReplyDeleteIs that a shotgun?
Hey y'all!
ReplyDeleteI'm baaaaaaaaaack!
How is everyone? The crowd is growing! ! !
OR: My thoughts as well (AW comes to mind).
ReplyDeleteTurn: Usually...Sometimes it seems that if I save to clipboard before attempting to post, Blogger suddenly doesn't have any issues. (rampant paranoia comes to mind)
RealW: Mornin ol man! I see's ya.
ALL
CLEAN,
R
But hell, if it goes the full 7 games, we'll finish the World Series just in time to prep for Thanksgiving! LOL!.
ReplyDeleteBest reason to start a week ealier, IMO.
It's getting finished way too late.
Hey real, just curious. How do you know Jeter hasn't taken steroids?
ReplyDeleteHi J.D. Where have you been?
ReplyDeletegak, if you please
ReplyDeleteI like gak better anyway.
I worked a twelve hour shift from Saturday midnight to Sunday at noon. I then went to a friends place to play games and pick up my new camera. I had a nap on Saturday so I was up from 2100 hours to about 2230 hours the next day. It's amazing that I am in such good shape today. Usually I am still a bear when I do stuff like that.
ReplyDelete/I guess since alcohol wasn't involved that might be why.
//caffeine was definitely my friend.
gak, I have been trying to get relief for my back/neck/shoulder/arm and I think I'm finally on to something! I'm so excited! It seems to be working! HUGE relief!
ReplyDeleteWhat with this "Squatch" and "gak" fad, maybe I should just go by "der"?
ReplyDeletebeermeetup in the near future could be doable.
ReplyDeleteI'll be in DC Jan 10-13.
PaladinPhil - just wait until tomorrow. I feel for ya.
ReplyDeleteturn: Yep, an over under model. One of my friends took that picture last weekend when we went shooting clay pigeons. All other pictures are with toys. Kind of like cosplay for Shadowrun.
ReplyDeleteWhy thank you kindly Render!
ReplyDeleteAnd {Gak} I happen to love Spam - the sorta food stuff, not the email variety!
I'll be in DC Jan 10-13.
ReplyDeleteBut that's in, like... 2010! Way off in the future! We'll all be living on the moon by then!
/
Hey "der." Kinda catchy. lol
ReplyDeleteWhat with this "Squatch" and "gak" fad, maybe I should just go by "der"?
ReplyDeleteThought you already went by OR.
Phil:
ReplyDeleteYep, an over under model.
Huh?! The profile photo I see for you is of a dog.
Good Morning CCers!
ReplyDeleteIt is a nice day here in the People's State of Connecticut. Expected to reach the low 60's and be fairly sunny.
I hope today finds you all well.
Oh and turn - I don't believe Jeter has taken Sterioids cause a) he's just about the same weight as he was when he came in as a rookie (195 pounds) and b) he'd a hit a LOT more home runs in the regular season if he used steroids!
ReplyDeleteWaaah!
ReplyDelete/I'm telling!
We'll all be living on the moon by then!
ReplyDeleteAt the rate o is running the war on terror we'll be lucky to just be alive by then.
By all rights, any baseball player named "Jeter" should actually be a pitcher.
ReplyDelete(It's French for "to throw", see.)
Good morning Real!
ReplyDeleteGo Phillies!
Realwest said...
ReplyDeleteAnd {Gak} I happen to love Spam - the sorta food stuff, not the email variety!
{real} I'm sorry to learn that you have no taste buds.//
Hey hi there {J.D.} - gee it's good to see you again!
ReplyDeleteWhat's this miraculous cure (or at least palliative) you've discovered?
It's amazing that I am in such good shape today
ReplyDelete... exclaimed PaladinPhil, as he loaded the dirty breakfast dishes into the CD player.
OR: Talking about my Facebook profile picture. I might upload it for here when I get home too.
ReplyDeleteboldandbald said...
ReplyDeleteGood Morning CCers!
Morning B&B! And how are you doing?
Hey boldandbald! Hope you're well today! Would you have rather seen your Phillies play the Yanks or the Angels?
ReplyDeletegak, you haven't lived until you've had a fried spam sandwich on gummy white bread with lots of mayo. yum yum - eat um up!
ReplyDeleteKillian, now that's funny.
ReplyDelete{Realwest} I went to see an OLD orthopedic surgeon in Lexington and he X-rayed my neck every which way and said "We can fix this." And he gave me this gizmo that I pretty much hang myself from 5 times a day to increase the spaces in my neck where the nerves exit. I think it's working!
How ya doin'?
when we went shooting clay pigeons
ReplyDeleteI need to get back out to the sporting clay range at Manassas. Only trouble is, they won't let me shoot with my Mossberg 590; they have a 23" barrel minimum (mine is a 20"). I don't know if there's actually a good reason for this, or if the snooty sporting clay shooter set just don't like seeing people blasting away with "riot guns"!
No TASTE BUDS?! What?!? -Spam is DELICIOUS especially with eggs and home fries or hash browns (depending on which part of the country you're in!).
ReplyDeleteOccasional Reader said...
ReplyDelete... exclaimed PaladinPhil, as he loaded the dirty breakfast dishes into the CD player.
lol. Good one.
But what is the mystery meat in Spam?
ReplyDeleteDo we know, or even want to know?
Morning Gak.
ReplyDeleteReal, I would rather have seen the Yanks finish dead last in the division. That said, what I was really hoping for, particularly after the rain-out Saturday, was for that series to go 7 games. I was pretty sure the Yanks would end up winning, but that would have pushed Sabathia off until at least game 3. I do think the Phillies are going to make this a very tough series, and have a very real chance of winning.
Uh, J.D. - he gave you something with which you HANG yourself?! What? You mean like some kind of inversion boots or something?
ReplyDeleteOh, and Real, I am actually a Red Sox fan.
ReplyDeleteJ.D. - all the stuff they can't dump into head cheese.
ReplyDelete"Introduced on July 5, 1937, the name "Spam" was chosen when the product, whose original name was far less memorable (Hormel Spiced Ham), began to lose market shares. The name was chosen from multiple entries in a naming contest. A Hormel official once stated that the original meaning of the name "Spam" was "Shoulder of Pork and Ham".[6] According to writer Marguerite Patten in Spam – The Cookbook, the name was suggested by Kenneth Daigneau, an actor and the brother of a Hormel vice president, who was given a $100 prize for coming up with the name.[7] At one time, the official explanation was that the name was a portmanteau of "Spiced Ham". According to the British documentary-reality show "1940's House", when SPAM was offered by the US to those affected by WWII in the UK, SPAM stood for Specially Processed American Meats. Many jocular backronyms have been devised, such as "Something Posing As Meat", "Specially Processed Artificial Meat", "Stuff, Pork and Ham", "Spare Parts Animal Meat" and "Special Product of Austin Minnesota"."
ReplyDeleteJ.D.:
ReplyDeleteAnd he gave me this gizmo that I pretty much hang myself from 5 times a day
Are you sure he's not just some old S&M pervert?
/
(And you don't mind if we call you "The Gimp" from now on, do you?
http://ddkfest.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/pulp_fiction_gimp.jpg)
this is the only Spam I like
ReplyDeleteboldandbald - dead last in their division? Where does all this hostility originate?
ReplyDeleteI do think the Phillies are a very fine team, but now I hope the Yankee's sweep 'em!
Thibit! (Bronx Cheer!).
Uh, J.D. - he gave you something with which you HANG yourself?! What? You mean like some kind of inversion boots or something?
ReplyDeleteNo, real, I hang myself by the neck, sort of...
J.D. said...
ReplyDeleteBut what is the mystery meat in Spam?
Do we know, or even want to know?
The deep, dark truth about Spam. Also some nifty trivia. Impress your friends and relatives!
Ingredients:
Chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added.
Salt (for binding, flavour, and firmness)
Water (to help in mixing)
Sugar (for flavour)
Sodium Nitrite (for colour and as a preservative)
Yum yum!
Nutrition Information For SPAM (original style):
Calories Per Serving: 170
Calories Per Serving From Fat: 140
Serving Size: 2 oz.
Servings Per Container: 6 (large) or 3.5 (small)
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 6g
Cholesterol: 40mg
Sodium: 750mg
Total Carbohydrates: 0g
Fiber: 0g
Sugars: 0g
Proteins: 7g
Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: 0%
Iron: 2%
Deee-licious!
Nifty Spam Trivia!
By World War II, Hormel had sold twenty thousand tons of Spam. Then, during the wartime meat rationing, Spam got popular...
If all the cans of Spam ever eaten were put end-to-end, they would circle the globe at least ten times.
In the U.S. alone, 3.8 cans of Spam "are consumed every second"(assuming SPAM is eaten 24 hours a day, 365.25 days a year).
Senator Robert Byrd of West Viginia eats a sandwich of SPAM and mayonnaise on white bread three times a week.
Residents of Hawai'i eat an average of four cans of SPAM per person per year, more than in any other place on Earth (Elsewhere in the Universe, who knows?).
By 1959, a billion cans of SPAM had been sold. The two billion mark was hit in 1970, followed by three billion in 1980, four billion in 1986, and five billion in 1993. That's a lot of SPAM!
In Korea, SPAM is sold in stylish presentation gift boxes of nine cans each. SPAM stolen from army PXs can be found on the Korean black market. And there are Korean imitations called Lo-Spam, Dak, Plumrose, and Tulip, to ensure that no one need go without.
Nikita Krushchev once credited SPAM with the survival of the WWII Russian army. ''Without SPAM, we wouldn't have been able to feed our army,'' he said.
SPAM is sold in over 99% of U.S. grocery stores.
The SPAM luncheon meat trademark is registered in 93 countries.
Over 60 million people in the U.S. eat SPAM.
SPAM is made in two U.S. locations - Austin, Minnesota, and Fremont, Nebraska - and seven other countries: England, Australia, Denmark, Phillipines, Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea.
In 1989, the U.S. armed forces bought 3.3 million pounds of SPAM.
Over 141 million cans of SPAM are sold worldwide each year.
Isn't that amazing? But it's all true!
boldandbald - a Red Sox fan? Well then that explains the hostility, but shoot I'd have expected you to root for the American League team.
ReplyDeleteJ.D. said...
ReplyDeleteNo, real, I hang myself by the neck, sort of...
Well that is one way to stop back pain...and any other pain you might be feeling as well.
J.D. said...
ReplyDeleteBut what is the mystery meat in Spam?
Do we know, or even want to know?
IT'S MADE OF PEOPLE...
/Soylent Green mode off. :)
As someone born in Boston, I have to say:
ReplyDeleteYANKEES SUCK!!!!
May they lose and show the curse was truly reversed, with no Series win for the Yankees for many more years.
Dak gak?
ReplyDeleteJ.D.:
ReplyDeleteI hang myself by the neck, sort of
And that copy of "Hustler" in your hand... I assume that's therapeutic, too?
/
Realwest said...
ReplyDeleteboldandbald - a Red Sox fan? Well then that explains the hostility, but shoot I'd have expected you to root for the American League team.
Almost any other American League team maybe, but not the evil empire.
Cable guy is here, and replacing the drop from the street. With ladders, no cherry picker, and this runs across a somewhat busy 2-lane street. Yes the speed limit here is 25, but people forget that and think it is 40 like it is further down the road where it isn't curvy.
ReplyDeleteJ.D. - he gave you something by which you hang yourself by the neck? And what do you think an excecutioner does when he Hangs someone?!
ReplyDeleteAre you sure this guy's is a licensed doctor?!
:)
turn said...
ReplyDeleteDak gak?
Um, what?
Origin of Specious said...
ReplyDeleteJ.D. - all the stuff they can't dump into head cheese.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Occasional Reader said...
J.D.:
And he gave me this gizmo that I pretty much hang myself from 5 times a day
Are you sure he's not just some old S&M pervert?
/
Well, now that you mention it...Hmmmmmmmm
Why thank you Kosh's Shadow! You're YANKEES SUCK is the kind of sportsmanship I've expected from Bosox fans for about 30 years or so now.
ReplyDeleteJ.D. - hopefully you don't have the same "Doctor" as David Carradine
ReplyDeleteI see what the cable guy is doing - he attached the new cable to the old one and is pulling the old one to pull the new one across the street.
ReplyDeleteOR: Long ago a friend was banned (his guns at least) from the local turkey shoots (when they still had them).
ReplyDeleteHe had an Ithaca 10-gauge with a 32-inch barrel and a Marlin Bolt-Action 12-gauge with a rifled 30 inch barrel. The locals took that as cheating...
For some odd reason they didn't much like the bayonet lug on my dad's Winchester Model 1897 either...
With that knowledge I'm gonna go with (b) snooty against riot guns for clays.
VOTED,
R
RW, I don't say much about the Yankees, and, actually, I don't follow all the details of the Sox' season, but I absorbed the hatred of the Yankees just living here.
ReplyDeleteboldandbald - Now wait a minute. Yankees have appeared in more than twice as many World Series and have won more than twice as many World Series championships as any other team in baseball and THEIR the "evil empire"?
ReplyDeleteWTF do you call the Boston Celtics, then, hmmm?!?
And there are Korean imitations called Lo-Spam, Dak, Plumrose, and Tulip, to ensure that no one need go without.
ReplyDeleteVia Mark Steyn:
ReplyDeleteEuropean Wishful Thinking Dept.: German lingerie ad with an, ah, unlikely ending.
(Not necessarily entirely safe for work, depending on where you work)
http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2009/10/lingerie-that-goes-with-practically-any-outfit.html
Sodium nitrate... a known carcinogen... nice.
ReplyDeleteI'm guessing I will be greeted henceforth with "How's it hangin'?" LOL
Can I borrow your Hustler, OR?
I'll give it back ! ! !
J.D. said...
ReplyDeleteCan I borrow your Hustler, OR?
Sure thing. Here ya go. Just be sure to gas it up again before you return it:
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/b-58_12.jpg
JD!!!!
ReplyDeleteMichael Barone on 0bama and Berlin:
ReplyDelete" PRESIDENT Obama, who found time to go on a 24-hour jaunt to Copenhagen on Oct. 2 to seek the 2016 Olympic Games for Chicago, apparently can’t find the time for a 24-hour trip to Berlin on Nov. 9 for a celebration of the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Well, we all have our priorities, and the president can’t be everywhere at once, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will surely represent America ably in Berlin.
Still, it seemed an odd decision to me — until I went back and got the speech that candidate Obama delivered on July 24, 2008, to a crowd of 200,000 in the Tiergarten in Berlin. As I reread the text, it struck me that there would be an embarrassing contrast between what Obama said in Berlin 15 months ago and many policies he has been pursuing as president. . . . Last year, Obama told Berliners that we and they are “heirs to a struggle for freedom.” This year, his administration has been busy trying to appease dictatorial and authoritarian regimes. So maybe he was wise to skip a return appearance in Berlin. Let Clinton gloss over the embarrassing contrast between his rhetoric then and his policies now."
(h/t: Instapundit)
Realwest said...
ReplyDeleteWTF do you call the Boston Celtics, then, hmmm?!?
I actually haven't really followed the Celtics since Reggie Lewis died. IMO the NBA has become a league of thugs and foreigners.
What makes the Yankees the evil empire is the fact that they are willing and able to buy their team. Some say so do the Red Sox. The distinction that I make between the Red Sox and Yankees in terms of 'buying a team' is that the Red Sox pay what they feel a player is worth to their team. The Yankees pay whatever it takes to keep a player from signing elsewhere, and then some some times.
Morning {WriterMom}!
ReplyDeleteHi Finally Free.
ReplyDeleteReal, LOL! I'm quite sure he is. IT'S WORKING! Can't argue with success! :-D
ReplyDeleteHi GAK!
ReplyDeleteAlso via Mark Steyn: Columnist at "The Guardian" cheerfully chatters away about "culling" Western children, and (in the flip side) the glories of abject poverty in Burkina Faso... because the denizens of the latter have a much lower "carbon footprint":
ReplyDeletehttp://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OWZiMzVlODlkY2M4Y2RkNDAzNjViYTM0MTllZDgwOWY=
Hey OR, some of my bestest friends are in your town now for a Free Speech conference.
ReplyDeleteHey there WriterMom- how are you today? Well I hope! BTW, J.D. has a doctor that has prescribed that she hang herself BY THE NECK to relieve her neck and shoulder pain!
ReplyDeleteHi Finally Free - how are y'all doing? And Obama can't go because Reagan and Bush I are the US Presidents most associated with the fall of the Berlin Wall. Period. Obama can't stand the comparison,not even to Bush I.
Hiya Killian - if you are still here, or not. : )
ReplyDeleteOrigin, thanks for the kind words! LOL!
ReplyDeleteWRITERMOM! ! !
You're here! ! !
YEA! ! !
JD: I'm here BECAUSE I'M HERE!
ReplyDeleteLOL. How are you? Nice to see you.
Followup to my last post: I'm rather cheered to see that even the "Guardian" readers thought the author was out of his tree, judging from most of the reader comments.
ReplyDeletePi Guy,
ReplyDeleteI so disappointed!
How could miss the Gun Fight at the O.K. Corral?
/ ;-P
Morning all!
Good morning WriterMom, how are you doing this fine Monday morning?
ReplyDeleteWriterMom said...
ReplyDeleteHey OR, some of my bestest friends are in your town now for a Free Speech conference.
"Free speech" is a decadent, bourgeois value, WM. What's important is that only the CORRECT speech be uttered.
/
//you got details on this conference?
boldandbald - Well we at least agree on the NBA.
ReplyDeleteBut I'll have you know that the Yankees will pay whatever it takes to keep a great player on the team (or to bring one into the team) but NOT ONE PENNY MORE THAN THAT!
LOL!
Real, there's no noose involved, so it's O K !
ReplyDeleteHi realwest, I'm good. JD's doctor sounds like a super DUD.
ReplyDeleteI have a coffee date today with Winston, do you remember Winston, the Iranian blogger from that other place?
Morning {JCM}
ReplyDeleteOR: Yes, of course. It's free, but you have to register. Ezra will be there and Kathy Shaidle and scaramouche, too.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.regonline.com/Checkin.asp?EventId=767320
Insofar as "carbon footprints" have been mentioned, on NPR this morning it was mentioned that some flossy fashion company or other had produced a pair of carbon sunglasses from the carbon fibers that are used in super-expensive car bodies.
ReplyDeleteThe sunglasses retail for about $4000.
I guess the big-money boys and girls are really down with that whole minimizing the carbon footprint thing, huh?
WriterMom, I see your e-mail address in my address book and I was going to suggest to the "powers that be" that they shoot you an invite, but I've been too sore to do it! Hope you and yours are well!
ReplyDeleteI'm amazed that J.D. can type these posts so well, what with the "zipperhead" on and all.
ReplyDeleteSo will Winston be invited here? Is he even still posting on the other place?
ReplyDeleteI'm amazed that J.D. can type these posts so well, what with the "zipperhead" on and all.
ReplyDeleteSpewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
JD, you can e-mail me anyway! Stay in touch :)
ReplyDeletebuzz: Carbon Footprints are the most mind-numbing crud since...since ordering "carbon credits" whilst sitting on one's fat ass from home on the Intratubes. I wish these nut cases would shut up already.
So will Winston be invited here? Is he even still posting on the other place?
ReplyDeleteIf he is it won't be for too long. Morning Kosh.
I guess the big-money boys and girls are really down with that whole minimizing the carbon footprint thing, huh?
ReplyDeleteIn fairness, one could say that the carbon making up the $4000 sunglasses is "sequestered", and therefore, not the issue.
Me, I'm thinking of augmenting my carbon palmprint by getting some shooting gloves made with "Carbon X" heatproof/flameproof material.
Kosh: He was banned. If people want me to mention it to him-I can.
ReplyDeleteDo carbon footprints fossilize?
ReplyDeleteYes, "carbon credits" are crap, but they are always good for a laugh.
ReplyDeleteMe, I'm collecting lampblack from my Shabbos candles to sell on the lampblack market.
{gak}
ReplyDeleteHow's life this morning?
Tis' full of liquid sunshine in Seattle today.
I'm still waiting for the attack on the soft-drink companies for putting out carbonated beverages, and for the bubbles in soda adding to the CO2 in the atmosphere.
ReplyDeleteIt will come.
buzz: have you read Norman Podhoretz's new book: Why Are Jews Liberal? It's very good.
ReplyDeleteI'm not the gatekeeper of C² so you'd have to check with others as to whether Winston should be invited or not. I think he'd be fine.
ReplyDeleteI've also just started Bruce Bawer's Surrender-he really knows how to turn a phrase.
ReplyDeleteKosh's Shadow said...
ReplyDeleteSo will Winston be invited here? Is he even still posting on the other place?
He will fight them on the open threads... he will fight them in the late-night threads... he will nevah surren-dah...
BBIAW!
ReplyDeleteJCM - life is good. Cloudy here.
ReplyDeleteLater Real.
ReplyDeleteGo Phillies!
buzz: have you read Norman Podhoretz's new book: Why Are Jews Liberal? It's very good.
ReplyDeleteWM, I don't want to spoil the book for anybody but is there a short answer to his question?
I'm still waiting for the attack on the soft-drink companies for putting out carbonated beverages, and for the bubbles in soda adding to the CO2 in the atmosphere.
ReplyDeleteIt will come.
To front assault... sugar and obesity... Gorebul Warming....
buzzsaw: The only thing that has surprised me about that is the length of time it's taken for them to ignore the CO2 from carbonated beverages. One of the first things I thought of when everyone was talking about GWGs.
ReplyDeleteBut...but...but... Diamonds are carbon! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
ReplyDeleteWM, I don't want to spoil the book for anybody but is there a short answer to his question?
ReplyDelete"42".
turn: yes there is a short answer-because they are fucking idiots.
ReplyDeleteHowever, the book goes into the historical antecedants, back to just before the enlightenment and he documents how Jews have historically always and only seen threats on the right, despite the evidence that the left was actually not their best friend either. It's well worth reading.
There was an ad on science channel last night for some dumb sitcom on Green TV, with an eco-freak guy married to a model or actress.
ReplyDeleteThe ad has him at a photo shoot disconnecting lights to save energy, and other equipment while she's complaining about him ruining the photo shoot.
So, do all these Hollywood celebrities actually appreciate the carbon footprint of their business?
/////////
OR: HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ReplyDeleteOMG laughing my head off hahahhahaaa
J.D. - So Paul Simon was way ahead of the curve regarding carbon footprints when he wrote "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes?"
ReplyDeleteWM: No, I'm way behind in my reading, given all the crap I was doing for my recently-settled case--and now I'm trying to catch up on all the stuff that forced me to neglect.
ReplyDeleteBut hey, I know why Jews are liberals; because they bought into the idea that Judaism = liberalism back during the days of the early union movement; because the Democrats were liberals in the Roosevelt era and the Republicans in the '30s were backing the isolationists, which left the Jews in Europe hanging out to dry; because the Republicans back then were the people who owned the companies that wouldn't hire Jews; because the Republicans who were anticommunist were involved in the pursuit of the leftist Jews in Hollywood, in the destruction of Oppenheimer, and the prosecution of the Rosenbergs; etc., etc., etc.
Occasional Reader said...
ReplyDelete"42".
LOL. Beware of the mice.
Thanks WM, OR's answer was shorter! ha
ReplyDeleteSince taking office nearly three years ago, Charlie Crist has made his mark as the green governor.
ReplyDeleteHe organized climate change summits with California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, mandated future government buildings be energy efficient and equipped with solar panels and pushed legislators and Florida Power & Light to build the largest solar power facility in the country.
But when President Barack Obama arrives in Arcadia Tuesday to promote climate change legislation and the opening of the solar plant Crist helped push through, the governor will not be there.
Chalk it up to politics.
Crist cannot afford the political risk of being seen with Obama as he faces an increasingly difficult Republican primary campaign in his bid to win a U.S. Senate seat in 2010.
In addition, the image he once proudly crafted as an environmental leader, particularly on climate change, has become more of a hindrance than a benefit as he battles Marco Rubio for the Republican nomination. On the stump, Rubio is criticizing Crist's stance on climate change as one of the reasons Republican voters should side with him.
Conservative voters, who make up the core of Republican primary elections, are still fuming that Crist appeared with Obama in February to promote the $787 billion federal stimulus bill, said David Johnson, a Republican political consultant. Appearing as a leader on climate change issues or glad-handing with Obama are out of the question now, Johnson said.
"Being seen with him again would be a nail in the coffin," Johnson said.
To repair the damage, Crist is running radio ads on conservative stations in which he now blasts Obama for all of the federal spending.
"Enough is enough," Crist says in one of the ads. "That's my message to President Obama. We can't spend our way into prosperity or tax our way into growth."...
It's about time. Sheesh.
Bad day in Afghanistan...
ReplyDeleteSixteen Americans dead as helicopters crash in Afghan raids
Sixteen Americans have died in a series of helicopter crashes and violent Taleban attacks across Afghanistan, in one of the bloodiest 24 hours for allied forces since the 2001 invasion.
Ten people were killed and at least 26 more were wounded when a fully-laden Chinook transport helicopter crashed in western Afghanistan during a pre-dawn fire fight with insurgents.
In the south of the country, four soldiers were killed and two others were seriously wounded when two helicopters collided in mid-air, officials said.
WM: Basically, the Left has always promised, though never delivered on, an end to antisemitism. That is the bait; the hook inside the bait is that the "end to antisemitism" comes at the price of Jews ceasing to be Jews--and still doesn't happen even if Jews try to live up, or rather down, to that.
ReplyDeleteJCM, I posted that upthread. It *seems* that these incidents were not due to enemy fire, but they're terrible just the same.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe the Chinook is still in service... doesn't it have a pretty lousy safety record?
JCM said...
ReplyDeleteBad day in Afghanistan...
May they rest in piece. :(
Wretchard on WMDs, Iran, and WW2 parallels. Wretchard (formerly at Belmont Club) should be on the blogroll of everybody following geopolitics.
ReplyDeleteOrigin, Paul Simon must be one of them!
ReplyDeleteBasically, the Left has always promised, though never delivered on, an end to antisemitism.
ReplyDeleteNow, "Anti-Zionism", of course, that's another matter entirely...
/
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteUm, turn? Not an appropriate comment, under the circumstances.
ReplyDelete