
This coming Saturday is Halloween! C2 is celebrating all this week, by introducing liberty pub posts with a fun, scary Halloween classic!
Tonight's video has a bit more fun in it. It's the classic Peanuts Halloween TV special, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!
Whiskey for my men.
ReplyDeleteBeer for my horses.
Please.
FIRST round on me. Line them up Brandy.
ReplyDeleteVELCOME!
ReplyDeleteErik The Red said...
ReplyDeleteFIRST round on me. Line them up Brandy.
Make em on ET. LOL.
A Moose Drool please!
ReplyDeleteBeer for men and whiskey for horses, or vice versa
ReplyDelete*****BREAKING*****
ReplyDeleteCorduroy pillows making headlines around the country!
Moose Drool up!
ReplyDeleteone to share, too, JCM!
Bar Wench Brandy said...
ReplyDeleteVELCOME!
lol. You are good at what you do. heh
For Erik!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Gak! What can I get for you?
ReplyDeletebeer nuts on the bar!
ReplyDeleteReposting my question: Buzzsawmonkey, what do you play your 78s on?
ReplyDeleteand potato skins! They're hot, be careful!
ReplyDeleteBar Wench Brandy said...
ReplyDeleteThanks, Gak! What can I get for you?
Please give me what Erik is drinking. That looks soooo good.
Never mind, buzz, KLH, got it.
ReplyDeleteHi Brandy my heart, my darlin' bar wench!
ReplyDeleteFor the sweet gak.
ReplyDeleteHi there, Callahan! What can I get you, sugar?
ReplyDeleteThank you Brandy.
ReplyDeleteIs there any delicious Bloody red Sangria punch with "dark fruits" ?
ReplyDeleteOf course, Erik!
ReplyDeleteMy scotch will be virtual tonight. I forgot to stop at the liquor store today. :(((
ReplyDeleteIs there some drops left of what Erik and Gak are havin' ?
ReplyDeletebloody sangria, MWAHAHAHA! Enjoy, Alegrias.
ReplyDeleteOR: Yeah, got tired of talking to myself downstairs.
ReplyDeleteCallahan - here is the bottle. Honor system for the 3 of you. Just mark down what you drink, please!
ReplyDeleteHi Buzz! Diet coke? Tea? Something wild and crazy like pink lemonade?
ReplyDeleteIf you drink enough sangria, are you in Sangri-La?
ReplyDeleteand you, OR? What's your poison?
ReplyDeleteOh, it's a merlot night.
ReplyDeleteBar Wench Brandy said...
ReplyDeleteFor the sweet gak.
Thanks Brandy. Someone put another sawbuck in your tip jar. (I think Erik has a likin' towards you.)
try this, Buzz. It's new in the stock.
ReplyDeleteOh goody! I'm all about the tips! Mama needs a new pair of (very sexy) shoes!
ReplyDeleteSo, since we're all here--d'ye see this Spanish gold ounce? That's for the first of you that raises the white whale!
ReplyDeleteThanks Brandy! Of course we'll be good. Pwomise!
ReplyDeleteBWB--looks good to me.
ReplyDeletelike this, Buzz?
ReplyDeleteI was thinking more of something with a wrinkled brow, a crooked jaw, and many irons stuck in him.
ReplyDelete...it's getting to be Ahab it with me.
ReplyDeleteBrandy - wow you are quick!
ReplyDeletePi Guy, wherever you are...I hope we're going to get something from The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra this week!
ReplyDeletewell, we wouldn't want to be worried about a mobey, so hopefully your keen eye will be on the look out.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Call! A Bombay martini with a twist, CC?
ReplyDeleteCallahan23 said...
ReplyDeleteThanks Brandy! Of course we'll be good. Pwomise!
We, of course, *wink* will be.
[absent for a bit for dinner purposes]
ReplyDeleteEnjoy, OR. Tell the family I said hello!
ReplyDeletefor cc
ReplyDeleteI propose a toast to thank all of you who are helping elect non-Obama-bots next week, Nov. 3rd.
ReplyDeleteWhat a year it's been. Whew, I need another Bloody Red sangria with more dark fruits.
On a totally unrelated topic, next week is the Torah reading with the story of the destruction of Sodom. I spent some time digging through the Book of Legends--the compilation of Talmudic dicta which do not relate directly to jurisprudence--and I would like to mention that none of the tales of the "sins of Sodom" relate to the sexual practices to which the name was attached.
ReplyDeleteRather, the "sins of Sodom" relate to the residents' greed and inhospitality to strangers. I may post some of the commentary on this in upcoming days; point being, however, that the famous "bring out these men so that we may know them" stuff does refer to sexual assault, but it is basically the same thing as a prison gang rape--an act intended as subjugation of the new arrivals rather than a commentary on same-sex practices generally.
The story of the residents of Sodom and their inhospitality is intended to contrast with the hospitality shown them first by Abraham and subsequently by Lot.
Lot's offer of his daughters in place of the strangers is intended, not as a serious offer, but as something which will shock and confuse the assembled multitude (Lot being without shotgun or machine gun) so as to break up the single-minded purpose of the mob.
more bloody sangria!
ReplyDeletea little mood music
ReplyDeleteJeez, Buzz, I don't think the Liberty Pub is offering anyone's daughters as part of the hospitality! Buzz killer! But thanks for sharing the Torah lesson. I loved that scene in some Hollywood movie where the stragglers behind Lot turned to pillars of salt.
ReplyDeleteAlegrias--that's merely an indication that one should take all the stories with a grain of salt or two.
ReplyDeleteor a pillar, as the case may be
ReplyDeleteThank you Bar Wench Brandy for that delicious goblet of ghoulish red sangria-- my dad's recipe for "bomb juice" sangria for turistas Americanos included Brandy.
ReplyDeleteJukebox
ReplyDeleteI know it might not be cool drinkin' conversation, but most of the earlier in the day topics are...topical. I just figured I'd throw this out there. Sorry if I'm stompin' on the mood.
ReplyDeleteLot's wife was a pillar of the community, known for her salty commentary.
ReplyDeleteapricot brandy, Alegrias?
ReplyDeleteI think it's interesting, Buzz. Its amazing how the true story gets lost among the legend. I like to go back and "fact check", so it is great topic for conversation.
ReplyDeleteI sense a theme, JCM!
ReplyDeleteI got a rock.
ReplyDeleteHi Formercorpsman! What would you like to drink with that rock of yours?
ReplyDeleteBuzz, just kidding, Torah wisdom is always timely and eternal.
ReplyDeleteMr. Polanski clearly forgot it when he partied in Sodomic Hollywood with 13 year olds proferred by stage mothers.
The wages of sin are things to never forget.
OK, must stop gulping my sangria. This way lies hangover!
Buzz - What did they use to spice up their food in those days without pepper nor chillies. Would you happen to know?
ReplyDeleteWhatever is on tap is fine with me.
ReplyDeleteThe seamy underside of politics in a (D) controlled state.
ReplyDeleteDOT reluctantly releases video of potential quake
The DOT says they did not intend to release the video right now, but a private citizen, who they are not naming, and made a public disclosure request, forcing the video's release.
"We had not intended release to public actually because of two reasons," said Jerry Lenzi with the WSDOT. "It could alarm people and we did not want people to stampede somebody into doing something, although we do know we have to replace the viaduct."
Documents Reveal Fix Was In for Deep-Bore Tunnel
Public records from the state Department of Transportation (WSDOT), available here, contain a number of disturbing revelations about the process that led WSDOT to move forward with the deep-bore tunnel on the downtown waterfront early this year.
Emails, internal memos, and other agency documents reveal that WSDOT appointed longtime advocates for the deep-bore tunnel as “experts” on tunnel costs; redistributed tunnel costs to make the price appear lower; and failed to study the surface/transit/I-5 alternative, subbing in a faux four-lane “surface” alternative that included none of the transit and surface-street improvements in the surface/transit/I-5 proposal.
But Hey, it's just taxpayers money, nothing important.....
I know it might not be cool drinkin' conversation, but most of the earlier in the day topics are...topical. I just figured I'd throw this out there. Sorry if I'm stompin' on the mood.
ReplyDeleteOctober 26, 2009 5:35 PM
I thought it was interesting, buzz - I was just gone looking it up to read myself.
here, FCM
ReplyDeleteJCM said...
ReplyDeleteBut Hey, it's just taxpayers money, nothing important.....
-----
Give em heck, JCM!
and so will this matter to the voting public, JCM?
ReplyDeleteI think it's interesting, Buzz. Its amazing how the true story gets lost among the legend. I like to go back and "fact check", so it is great topic for conversation.
ReplyDeleteI agree. There are a lot of scriptural passages that end up being misunderstood by a lot of people because of things like cultural context (or other forms of context) - I find the topic very interesting, personally.
Brandy,
ReplyDeleteNo "albaricoque/apricot brandy" but Cognac is sometimes added to sangria.
Plain sangria is red wine with lemon/orange/apple slices and sparkling water or Sprite, and ice.
It's probably whatever you want it to be!
(Lot being without shotgun or machine gun)
ReplyDeleteI thought the Second Commandment guaranteed all those biblical dudes the right to bear arms?
/
experiencedtraveller said...
ReplyDelete"Fixing the Viaduct, damaged in the Nisqually quake is a State priority and will be a top priority of my administration."
Christine Gregoire campaign for the '04 election.
Documents in principal for the go ahead on the deep bore option just signed this week.
Wait. Bears have arms? Or do they have four legs?
ReplyDeleteLOL, CC!
ReplyDeleteare they bare bear arms?
ReplyDeleteCallahan23 said...
ReplyDeleteBuzz - What did they use to spice up their food in those days without pepper nor chillies. Would you happen to know?
Who's to say they didn't have pepper? The "world economy" goes back thousands of years--it just took longer for things to get from place to place.
But...people had salt, of course. Za'atar, probably. Peppers of some kind, if not actual peppercorns. Cinnamon; myrrh and frankincense, which were used as spices as well as remedies. Maybe paprika.
If the Fwench can do the Millau Viaduct in less than 3 years and under a billion bucks WTF is wrong with us?
ReplyDeleteJCM, if Boeing leaves town like it says you boys better legalize weed right quick. Its the only product that will quickly replace that lost tax revenue.
ReplyDeleteUnions?
ReplyDeleteMichelle Obama supports the right to bare arms!
ReplyDeleteCallahan,
ReplyDeleteBiblical diets were probably heavy on seasonings such as salt, garlic, onions, sesame seeds, precious safran from crocuses. Tasty legumes such as garbanzos, lentils dressed with olive oil & vinegar or cooked into stews & soups. Also used as seasonings: nuts, fresh & dried pomegranates, raisins, dates, apples, citrus.
Basically, lots of humus and pita bread with greens such as wild asparagus and other fresh vegetables & fruits. Grains cooked into pilafs with various fruits.
Yum. Goat seasoned with cumin & garlic. Kebab!
buzzsawmonkey said...
ReplyDelete------
I imagine that all the spices available from 'up the Nile' in the Sudan and Ethiopia where prevalent throughout the region.
You guys have a good night. I apologize for not being talkative tonight, I'm just beat. Everyone have a good night, (I mean that) & I'll catch you guys later.
ReplyDeleteGo Eagles!
experiencedtraveller said...
ReplyDeleteJCM, if Boeing leaves town like it says you boys better legalize weed right quick. Its the only product that will quickly replace that lost tax revenue.
We'll have to bring back the billboard from the Boeing Bust in the early '70s.
OR: Kidding aside--well, not aside, maybe, but parked a little off center--it is useful to think about what one would/could do if faced with a lynch mob of the entire town milling about outside your house, with the knowledge that there is no chance of intervention by an impartial police force, which is the situation Lot was in.
ReplyDeleteTwo literary passages which will give some feeling for Lot's position are the lynching scene in "Huckleberry Finn," where Colonel Sherburne faces down a daytime lynch mob with a shotgun, and the description of a mob in Kipling's short story "His Start in Life." Also, perhaps, Kipling's description of a riot in "On the City Wall."
Lot certainly did not have superior firepower--so to try and distract the mob from his purpose, he made an offer of his daughters (something which would both shock the would-be marauders, and cause them to consider, "hey--girls, or the guys?") so that they would be brought up short and start debating what they should do, with the idea that in so doing the single-mindedness of the mob would dissipate and the whole attack come to naught.
Night, FCM! Hope we see you tomorrow, honey!
ReplyDeleteBar Wench Brandy said...
ReplyDeleteare they bare bear arms?
No. The bear is self-conscious. They're hairy!
There will be a new thread/new "scary" vid publishing in about one minute.
ReplyDeleteTwo literary passages which will give some feeling for Lot's position are the lynching scene in "Huckleberry Finn," where Colonel Sherburne faces down a daytime lynch mob with a shotgun, and the description of a mob in Kipling's short story "His Start in Life." Also, perhaps, Kipling's description of a riot in "On the City Wall."
ReplyDeleteAlso thinking of Orwell, "Burmese Days".
Corre∫pondence Committee said...
ReplyDeleteBar Wench Brandy said...
are they bare bear arms?
No. The bear is self-conscious. They're hairy!
The next evolutionary step.
The Bare Nair Bear!
Buzz,
ReplyDeleteYour Lot dilemma also reminds me of the scene in "To Kill a Mockingbird" where the accused is in the courthouse & the mob's outside with weapons. Forget how that was resolved, but it also involved innocent kids I think, coming to the rescue of their Dad standing betwixt the two.
------------------------------------------------->
ReplyDeleteGoing to bed with a Sangria Buzz! Hasta la vista muchachos y muchachas.
ReplyDeleteThanks buzz, I didn't remember the cinnamon, myrrh and frankincense bit.
ReplyDeleteI wikied the paprika, as I remembered it is native to Mexico.
The black pepper is native to south India, which really could have been traded to the Mediterranean.
Alegrias--good reference. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteBar Wench Brandy said...
ReplyDelete------------------------------------------------->
Look to the right?
OR: I remember the mob will Orwell describes in "Shooting an Elephant," but I don't recall a mob scene in "Burmese Days," which suggests I haven't re-read it in too long. Where did that occur?
ReplyDeletePaprika is native to Mexico? Did not know that. Interesting that a spice native to Mexico should be so associated with Hungary, as tomatoes and potatoes--also New World products--are now so associated with Italy and Ireland, respectively.
ReplyDeleteI have thought at times about trying to construct a pre-1492 Passover Seder; it would be difficult, since so many modern-day Passover dishes rely on potato starch, and potatoes, of course, were unknown in Europe before the Europeans found America. It would be heavy on the parsnips, unfortunately, but it would be an interesting historical exercise.