
Gunmen attack federal building in Pakistan
LAHORE, Pakistan (AP) - Gunmen entered a federal law enforcement building in Pakistan's eastern city of Lahore on Thursday, firing shots and terrifying employees in the latest in a string of attacks to rock this U.S.-allied nuclear-armed country as it prepares to launch a major offensive in a Taliban and al-Qaida stronghold.
Republicans oppose bringing 9/11 plotters to US for trial
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell Wednesday defended a Republican measure to prevent bringing five September 11 suspects from their Guantanamo prison to the United States for trial in civilian courts.
"The question is not whether terror suspects should be brought to justice. The question is where and how," the Republican senator said Wednesday.
"And the answer is perfectly clear: the right forum is military commissions at the secure facility we already have at Guantanamo, not in civilian courts in US communities," he added.
ESPN Guest: 'Racist' Rush Would Never Hire Black Coach
ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI: People do not want a bigot as an owner. He's a racist. He's a bigot. He's shown it for years. He's made his career off in a large way off marginalizing black culture and African-Americans, and now he wants to buy into an industry where 70% of the players, the talent, the work-force is African-American and make money off of it? He doesn't get to do that.
JIM ROME: What do you base your base your comment that he's a bigot on? Those two quotes that are floating around right now that he has said do not really exist, or his body of work?
WOJNAROWSKI: His body of work. You go back years, now. He's showed maybe through the years, he has said, been less vociferous as he was early. But he has time after time after time been a polarizing, made racially insensitive remarks. I mean, are you going to allow him to make an NFL, an African-American NFL assistant, with the Rooney rule, who has to sit in his office for what's essentially going to be a token interview and patronize that guy?
26-Year-Old Redskins Cheerleader Disabled by Flu Shot Reaction
Mark Steyn on Limbaugh: Okay, Prove You Didn't Say It! (Hat tip: Ace)
So where are these racist soundbites? Where's the audio? Where's the transcript? Name the year. Heigh-ho, say CNN's Rick Sanchez and the rest of the basement-ratings crowd. Not our problem: It's for Limbaugh to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he's never said it. We're too busy fact-checking anti-Obama jokes to fact-check our own reporting.
Fact checked a skit.
ReplyDeleteRoll that over in your mind.
If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about the MFM, you cannot be helped.
WOJNAROWSKI: His body of work. You go back years, now. He's showed maybe through the years, he has said, been less vociferous as he was early. But he has time after time after time been a polarizing, made racially insensitive remarks. I mean, are you going to allow him to make an NFL, an African-American NFL assistant, with the Rooney rule, who has to sit in his office for what's essentially going to be a token interview and patronize that guy?
ReplyDeleteGuess you have Rush all figured out watching those Media Matters clips.
I'm out for a bit.
Need to go chop a light pole down with my bare hand...
A Thing of Beauty for a Thursday Morn
ReplyDeletescottishbuzzsaw
ReplyDeleteNICE!
I want to see that in person someday before I die.
Another.
ReplyDeleteGood morning, Ufo Tofu. I've only seen spectacular Aurora Borealis once in my fifty years. Unforgettable.
How are you doing today?
Fact checked a skit.
ReplyDeleteRoll that over in your mind.
Nobody, but nobody, is allowed to mock Teh One.
Nobody, but nobody, is allowed to mock Teh One.
ReplyDeleteYou sound like Marty McFly.
/
Make like a tree and get out.
ReplyDeleteGood morning scottishbuzzsaw.I'm keeping on. I have become convinced that running a business in California is simply more trouble than it's worth.
ReplyDeleteUfo said; "I have become convinced that running a business in California is simply more trouble than it's worth."
ReplyDeleteUh oh, I hear Atlas Shrugging.
/how do you hear a shrug?
Very sorry to hear that, Ufo. It shouldn't be that way. Is it true that many companies are leaving the state during this implosion?
ReplyDeleteGood morning, Ufo Tofu. I've only seen spectacular Aurora Borealis once in my fifty years. Unforgettable.
ReplyDeleteI have been luckier. Being up in the Great White North, I have managed to view the Aurora Borealis at least four times. Believe it or not, three times were in the middle of the summer.
scottishbuzzsaw
ReplyDeleteIs it true that many companies are leaving the state during this implosion?
I can only vouch for my contacts, but it looks very bad to me. Companies that I deal with infrequently are suddenly gone. I called a company that services two-way radios for an annual PM, no answer. I called another company to schedule an annual test on underground storage tanks, number is no longer in service. There's more, but you get the picture.
Don't worry, Tofu, I'm sure the government will be able to step in and run those businesses much more efficiently.
ReplyDelete/////
I am just furious over what happened to Rush. I haven't seen one bit o'proof that he said all those racist things. Of course, who needs proof when you are trashing a conservative?
ReplyDeleteI hope Rush goes after every one of them for libel. And I do mean all of them.
Good Morning, {all y'all}.
ReplyDeleteI see the derangement continues. WTF is this country coming to?
Bohemian Rhapsody Covered by an Austrian Oompah Band?!
ReplyDeleteNow that's just silly.
Good Morning Y'all. What's the good word?
ReplyDeleteAnd now for some science news. Archeologists have uncovered an ancient Egyptian sacred lake.
ReplyDeleteJamesTKirk
ReplyDeleteA buddy of mine works for CHP. In the past they would send out notices to truckers to schedule BIT inspections. Now they're calling first to verify that the carrier is still in business. That's pretty scary considering how much trucking is a part of the socal economy.
What they're doing to Rush is the same as what was done to Sarah Palin. Tell lies, spread rumors and trash a person's career. They're messin' with the wrong guy this time. I hope he tears 'em a new one.
ReplyDeleteTOFU
ReplyDeleteWe were just talking this morning about the flatbed business being down. We're a tanker carrier, but it make sense that flatbed hauling would be down. That would be building materials, primarily.
Ufo: Oh dear. That doesn't sound good at all.
ReplyDeleteVT: The only possible racist statement that I know might be attributed to Rush was "take that bone out of your nose". I have read this on Snopes, and it was from his early radio days. Now the only reason it's possible is because Rush has never denied saying it. There is no transcript or audio record about this. So of course Snopes, which leans left, says it's plausible.
ReplyDeleteSBS - I was lucky enough to see the Northern Lights in Madison Wisconsin of all places. I was leaving a movie with a friend and the cab driver told us that all the cabbies were going to check out the northern lights, so he dropped us off near a bluff over a lake. It simply is not something you expect to see in the Midwest. I didn't even know it was possible.
ReplyDeleteInstead of repeating the almost meaningless phrase "extremely rare" Fox News could have given some figures. Is it 1 in a million? 1 in a billion? This isn't news reporting, it's hysteria & sensationalism.
ReplyDeletePhil: I didnt' know that there was a goddess named Mut!
ReplyDeleteKenneth: The phrase "extremely rare" is not meaningless when ordering a steak./
ReplyDeleteMorning all. I hate the Limbaugh story. Dishonesty won. Racism won. Freedom lost.
ReplyDeleteAmong the many disgraceful things about Limbaugh being barred from trying to buy a team is that it will embolden the race-baiting liars that made up his opposition.
Next time a team is going on the block I can guarantee that Al Sharpton or some other discord profiteer will be at the table looking to sell his "stamp of approval".
Real smart, NFL, now you're stuck with him forever. Short-sighted cowards.
redstate
ReplyDeleteThat makes sense. A trade magzine we get says freight tonnage has been dropping for three or four consecutive quarters.
PP and VT, yes. This is after 20 years of 15 hours/wk with no script. He can't hide anything. If he was racist, we would know it. So would his black friends like Justice Thomas or "The Hutch".
ReplyDeleteOrigin: Good morning. The ones I saw were in Northern NH. The lights shimmered across the sky and changed from red to green to white...absolutely amazing.
ReplyDeleteFrom Fox:
ReplyDeleteGOP Lawmakers Accuse Muslim Advocacy Group CAIR of Planting Spies on Capitol Hill
Four congressmen are asking for an investigation into the Council on American Islamic Relations after discovering an internal memo noting the group's strategy.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/14/gop-lawmakers-accuse-muslim-advocacy-group-planting-spies-capitol-hill/
Origin of Specious,
ReplyDeleteLOL! True, in that situation, I strongly endorse the phrase.
It would have been helpful if Fox News would have pointed out how the fatality rates from influenza are thousands of times higher than the chances of getting dystonia from a vaccination.
ReplyDeleteHomesickness.
ReplyDeleteChores are calling (bellowing, actually!)...have a great day, everyone!
SBS - One of the reasons I love living in a State with four seasons. That picture is breathtaking.
ReplyDeleteGet a load of this beoootch ranting about Rush ...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhSo5E492lg&feature=player_embedded#
The rant about Rush was at the end but the rant about the success of the stimulus package was just as good. She never said the package created jobs, only that they retained some. What an idiot. Not only is She said the WPA was responsible for putting all the soldiers returning from WW2 back to work.
The "leaves" on the "trees
ReplyDelete" down here in Phoenix don't turn in the fall or drop off in the winter...
Turn, I read a story this weekend that said that our economy would have to ADD 500k jobs/ month for a sustained period of time to begin to climb out of our hole. That hasn't happened since '51, and this is most certainly not '51.
ReplyDeleteUFO TOFU: It isn't just business that's collapsing in California. I can't find the link right now, but test scores of 4th and 8th grade students place them third from the bottom in the nation. They only outperform Mississippi and Alabama. California schools were once the envy of the nation. It looks like the next generation is not going to be smart enough to move the state out of its current morass.
ReplyDeleteSaludos from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
ReplyDeleteOn the subject of Gitmo detainees; damn straight that these should be military courts. At least someone is making sense on this.
On Limbaugh; I have not been following the matter, to be frank, but there does seem to be an element of "oh, of COURSE he made all kinds of racist statements! He's conservative! We don't have to prove it, we just know it."
On the Northern Lights; the most spectacular display I ever saw was at Lake Champlain in New York State. It looked like the universe was drawing to a grandiose conclusion.
By the way, the Mark Steyn link doesn't seem to work... it just takes me to my own profile?
ReplyDeleteHey OC, how's the weather down there?
ReplyDeleteHeading off to Brazil in a abouut 10 days, if my VISA gets here in time.
Kenneth:
ReplyDeleteThis isn't news reporting, it's hysteria & sensationalism.
Concur. I do have to say, the host of... the place where we used to post a lot... was on to something with highlighting the anti-vax hysteria.
What's with the mass exodus to South America, OR and VT? I mean, besides the sun, beaches, and really scantily-clad...
ReplyDelete...
Hold on, let me pack my bags.
DD - I go to Arizona at least once a year. I love the desert flora and fauna. It is so . . .aggressive. Just as spectacular as Fall colors, IMHO.
ReplyDeleteVT, here in Buenos Aires it's kind of chilly at night (no, not kind of Chile, that's southwest of here), maybe mid-60s to low 70s in the day. Brazil weather could be quite different, depending on where you're going. So... where are you going? (I'm jealous anyway, unless it's Brasilia)
ReplyDeleteThe cause of Global Warming discovered!
ReplyDeleteApparently "extremely rare" is not the case here.
OR - Agreed. What pisses me off about anti-vaxers, is that they are relying on the rest of us to be healthy (and vaccinated) so that they are too.
ReplyDeleteJamesTKirk said...
ReplyDeleteWhat's with the mass exodus to South America, OR and VT?
South America, Oregon and Vermont?
/
Origin of Specious said...
ReplyDeleteDD - I go to Arizona at least once a year. I love the desert flora and fauna. It is so . . .aggressive. Just as spectacular as Fall colors, IMHO.
The Sonoran Desert is very beautiful...I was really surprised when I first moved down here years ago. I was expecting sand dunes and camels when I got off the plane. Instead, there was stuff growing all over the place down here.
VT - I am sure they take American Express, Master Card and Discover down in Brasil. I wouldn't worry too much about the Visa.////
ReplyDeletePIMF - BRAZIL
ReplyDelete"Brasil" is the correct spelling in Spanish, OoS, so you're just being multicultural!
ReplyDeleteThey're relying on the rest of us for their health... So the anti-vaxers are Canadians?
ReplyDeleteHeading off to lunch. I wish I had a "Che is dead" T-shirt to sport in the streets of Buenos Aires, but alas, I don't. Later!
ReplyDeleteWell look at me . . .I'm a multicultural and didn't even know it.
ReplyDeleteI learned a lot about Che from W.E.B. Griffins novels about U.S. Special Forces in that era. Great stories about a murderous bastard.
ReplyDeleteJamesTKirk - it's a conference, business trip and I've got no choice. However, given the weather here, I'll take it. Feels like it's gonna snow!
ReplyDeleteOC, I'm headed to Rio and Sao Paulo.
Spense - Is it a series?
ReplyDeletePIMF - r
ReplyDeleteJamesTKirk said...
ReplyDeleteWhat's with the mass exodus to South America, OR and VT? I mean, besides the sun, beaches, and really scantily-clad...
sb5k says -
I don't think there are any green or blue women there, though.
I am working from home today as my car is in the shop. Purring kitteh sleeping on my lap. Now how do I get up and get my lunch? ;)
ReplyDeleteVT - Never taught the cat to fetch?/
ReplyDeleteNFL: "Looks like race baiting's back on the menu, boys!"
ReplyDeleteSure there are...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.rio-carnival.net/photos/Porto%20da%20Pedra/Porto%20da%20Pedra%2019.jpg
Origin, yes. In the series Brotherhood of War but I need to see which ones exactly deal with Che. I'll check and get back to you when I'm home.
ReplyDeleteCalifornia appears poised to be first to ban power-guzzling big-screen TVs
ReplyDeleteThe influential lobby group Consumer Electronics Assn. is fighting what appears to be a losing battle to dissuade California regulators from passing the nation's first ban on energy-hungry big-screen televisions.
On Tuesday, executives and consultants for the Arlington, Va., trade group asked members of the California Energy Commission to instead let consumers use their wallets to decide whether they want to buy the most energy-saving new models of liquid-crystal display and plasma high-definition TVs.
"Voluntary efforts are succeeding without regulations," said Doug Johnson, the association's senior director for technology policy. Too much government interference could hamstring industry innovation and prove expensive to manufacturers and consumers, he warned.
But those pleas didn't appear to elicit much support from commissioners at a public hearing on the proposed rules that would set maximum energy-consumption standards for televisions to be phased in over two years beginning in January 2011. A vote could come as early as Nov. 4.
/damn TV Nazis
O of S, she is a senior kitizen. And cats are too proud to fetch.
ReplyDeleteDD
ReplyDeleteI'm not familiar with Arizona other than Phoenix, but the wildflowers adjacent I-10 from Phoenix to Blythe are stunning is the spring.
Occasional Reader said...
ReplyDelete"Brasil" is the correct spelling in Spanish, OoS, so you're just being multicultural!
What is it in Portuguese?
Kenneth, NSFW!
ReplyDelete/but nice
VioletTiger said...
ReplyDeleteO of S, she is a senior kitizen. And cats are too proud to fetch.
__________________________________________________________
I'll bet that if lunch moved, she'd fetch ;-)
ęschew_σbfuscation
ReplyDeleteOh yes. Mice still don't stand a chance with a bengal.
Killian Bundy said...
ReplyDelete/damn TV Nazis
_____________________________________________
I smell an opportunity to start up a compact flourescent TV company.
turn said...
ReplyDeleteShe said the WPA was responsible for putting all the soldiers returning from WW2 back to work.
History is not most leftist's strong suit.
doppleganglander
ReplyDeleteCalifornia's method of addressing underperforming schools: Once a week the students are let out an hour early so that the teachers can collaborate on what to do about failing test scores. Most of the schools in our district have these Collaboration Days.
JamesTKirk , earth--it's only half-baked.
ReplyDeleteOrigin of Specious said...
ReplyDeleteVT - Never taught the cat to fetch?/
sb5k says -
That would be fine if you like decapitated mouse
Ufo Tofu said...
ReplyDeletedoppleganglander
California's method of addressing underperforming schools: Once a week the students are let out an hour early so that the teachers can collaborate on what to do about failing test scores. Most of the schools in our district have these Collaboration Days.
sb5k says -
I wonder how the teachers would react if they were told to actually teach?
Although the teachers probably would be fine with it; it is the educators who have a problem.
Collaboration hour actually makes a little sense for students with multiple teachers IF they use the time to catch a pattern and plot a coordinated plan of response.
ReplyDeleteMy mother was a teacher, and it was the only job I was aware of that insisted ALL your paperwork be done at home (required hall-monitor duties at class changes took up her "conference period", which did not sync up with other teachers for the obvious reasons) and gave her constant bladder infections (no time for potty breaks while you're wrangling teh kiddies).
My ONLY gripe with teachers is their unions and organizations. If you stink, you should be brought up to speed or fired, like anywhere else.
sb5k said...
ReplyDeleteUfo Tofu said...
doppleganglander
California's method of addressing underperforming schools: Once a week the students are let out an hour early so that the teachers can collaborate on what to do about failing test scores. Most of the schools in our district have these Collaboration Days.
sb5k says -
I wonder how the teachers would react if they were told to actually teach?
Although the teachers probably would be fine with it; it is the educators who have a problem.
__________________________________________________________
Heh.... we have an acquaintance just out of college who starts almost every sentence with "as a professional educator..."
sb5k said...
ReplyDeleteI wonder how the teachers would react if they were told to actually teach?
Let's ask them after they finish their required multi-culti training and the Peanut Allergy Awareness online education module ... maybe they can squeeze it in before filling out the weekly Racial Status profile and doing the H1N1 daily health survey and Children's Protective Services log.
/partial only
..... I've started using "as a professional programmer..." with her. Gets her totally confused.
ReplyDeleteI have collaboration hour with my colleagues. Of course, we call it happy hour, but . . . .
ReplyDeleteBTW, my mather the math teacher was once scolded because too many kids in one class were flunking ... nevermind that her other classes were fine, and her advanced class was almost all A's ... hmmm ... I wonder what the difference was?
ReplyDelete/
Drive an "educator" nuts with stuff from Richard Mitchell. It is not recent; he died a while ago, but things haven't gotten better. And you can read his books free here
ReplyDeleteBummer. Just read that Harley Davidson is dropping its Buell line of bikes. Not a motorcycle rider, but if I were to buy a bike, it would have been a Buell.
ReplyDeleteOn the rare chance some of you have not heard this true story about Reveeeereeeend Jessie Jackson ...
ReplyDelete"RUSH: By the way, speaking of lies -- and speaking of James Earl Ray, a vicious lie that the Reverend Jackson is knowingly spreading about me -- let's talk about another lie involving Jesse Jackson and James Earl Ray. Let's not forget the Reverend Jackson's claim to fame and how it actually began. The morning after Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated, Jesse Jackson (who had hired a PR firm) did television interviews claiming that King had died in his arms. It was a blatant lie, according to Ralph David Abernathy, who said that the Reverend Jackson wasn't even there at the time of the assassination. But he did show up in time to take some of Dr. King's blood and smear it on his own shirt to promote the lie that he had held Dr. King in his arms. (interruption) You didn't know that, Dawn? And now, Jesse Jackson is lying about me. Over and over again, and repeatedly so. Blatantly and knowingly so."
ęschew_σbfuscation said...
ReplyDelete..... I've started using "as a professional programmer..." with her. Gets her totally confused.
I'd be waiting with "amateur gynecologist", but I'm fairly blunt with people like that.
Wow. Rush is on now saying that when he was approached to join the buyer's group, he was assured that his name had already been cleared with the NFL as a potential buyer.
ReplyDeleteOldLineTexan said...
ReplyDeleteęschew_σbfuscation said...
..... I've started using "as a professional programmer..." with her. Gets her totally confused.
I'd be waiting with "amateur gynecologist", but I'm fairly blunt with people like that.
__________________________________________________________
LOL... My wife would fail to find the humor in that ;-)
She said the WPA was responsible for putting all the soldiers returning from WW2 back to work.
ReplyDeleteWhat I really don't understand is why FDR gets all this credit for supposedly getting us out of the depression. A few years ago I visited the Truman Library. I was shocked when I saw part of the exhibit that showed how bad the economy was when Truman became president.
To me this says that FDR did some things that "fixed" the problem until things blew up again with Truman as President when the post war changes in society is what changed the economy.
garnette, one of the things that happened after WW2 was sending all the women home to have babies.
ReplyDeleteAnd it was just as sexist as that.
garnette,
ReplyDeleteWWII got us out of the depression. It's that simple.
ęschew_σbfuscation said...
ReplyDeleteLOL... My wife would fail to find the humor in that ;-)
It would get Ms. Educator's attention, I'd bet.
And you could survive one more lump. ;)
House Dems now represent richest regions -
ReplyDelete"The Democratic-controlled House is now an unusual combination of the richest and poorest districts, the best and least educated, and the best and the worst insured."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-10-13-House-wealth-gap-Democrats-richest-districts_N.htm
WWII was a Federal stimulus program.
ReplyDeleteDiscuss.
/
turn
ReplyDeleteI could've sworn I've seen pictures of Jesse Jackson on the balcony with Dr. King moments before he was shot.
VT - My AP History teacher said a war was always good for the economy. I understand that may have been true in the past. Why not now?
ReplyDeleteThe friggin administration wants to get their fingers into the frickin NFL according to Rush
ReplyDeleteTurn on Rush. If you don't have it on, turn it on.
ReplyDeleteWOW.
red, I read the book Shakedown. It's well documented he wasn't there.
ReplyDeleteFDR should get credit for excessive protectionism and higher taxes that prolonged and deepened the depression.
ReplyDeleteAs for post-war recovery....I've always thought that much of it came from consumer spending from pent up demand caused by turning almost all manufacturing to the war effort for five or six years. People couldn't buy washers, refrigerators, many hard goods because they weren't available during the war.
Ringo the Gringo said...
ReplyDeleteHouse Dems now represent richest regions -
"The Democratic-controlled House is now an unusual combination of the richest and poorest districts, the best and least educated, and the best and the worst insured."
sb5k says, channeling Charles Dickens -
They have the best of districts;
They have the worst of districts.
They have the richest constituents;
They have the poorest constituents;
....
Cheese and crackers...
ReplyDeleteNo sound at work.
sb5k says -
ReplyDeleteI wonder how the teachers would react if they were told to actually teach?
Although the teachers probably would be fine with it; it is the educators who have a problem.
EXACTLY! The minute I hear someone call herself an educator, I know she has zero skills and lots of preposterous theories.
redstateredneck said...
ReplyDeleteturn
I could've sworn I've seen pictures of Jesse Jackson on the balcony with Dr. King moments before he was shot.
The one you always see paired with the photo after he was shot was from the day before.
CC, he came close to choking up there ... sad for America. Fucking hatred on the left, makes me sick too.
ReplyDeleteI get that the war is what got us out of the depression, with it a message that the economy was is great shape. Thus, I was shocked to see how bad the economy was post WWII. Maybe it was just a short time as the economy shifted from a war economy. But, in all I have every been taught about that period of time, I had never heard this until I saw the exhibit.
ReplyDeleteOrigin of Specious said...
ReplyDeleteVT - My AP History teacher said a war was always good for the economy. I understand that may have been true in the past. Why not now?
One reason why it probably isn't true now is due to the types of wars being fought. They are smaller and more spread out, like Vietnam except a larger terrain.
The amount of troops that have been committed is probably even less then that time as well. The economy would pick up if there were more troops being deployed and a draft instituted. This would shrink the available work force and more people that are currently unemployed would have no problem finding jobs.
As well in a larger scale war the needed production of supplys and equipment would increase as well.
OLT
ReplyDeleteThe one you always see paired with the photo after he was shot was from the day before.
Ahhh, I see.
Reuters said Soros was part of the group?
ReplyDeleteAnd the guy from the Players' Association who has been lobbying Goodell is a connected to Obama?
Just wanting to confirm this with other listeners to make sure I heard him right.
Me too, turn.
ReplyDeleteGotta check my morning email, brb.
I'm signing up for Rush 24/7 today. Damn. This is pretty shocking this morning.
Correspondence Committee said...
ReplyDeleteTurn on Rush. If you don't have it on, turn it on.
WOW.
Don't leave me hanging! I don't have a radio at work, and I can't exactly get up and go sit in my car. What's he saying?????
Origin of Specious said...
ReplyDeleteVT - My AP History teacher said a war was always good for the economy. I understand that may have been true in the past. Why not now?
Limited wars do not carry the level of spending or drain on the workforce.
I would guess that Korea, Viet Nam, the first invasion of Iraq, the WoT, etc. just don't carry the overall weight of WW2 or the American Civil War. I'nm not sure how to classify WW1 or the Spanish-American War.
CC
ReplyDeleteSounds like a set up to me.
Origin of Specious said...
ReplyDeleteVT - My AP History teacher said a war was always good for the economy. I understand that may have been true in the past. Why not now?
That's a paraphrase of Randolph Bourne's "War is the health of the state."
O of Sp, I don't know. Perhaps it has something to do with the general attitude.
ReplyDeleteRuss, a few minutes ago he was lamenting about the leagues decision to reject his participation saying he was sad, not for himself, but for America. He's implying the government wants to gain control and influence over the NFL. "It's right in front of you folks ..."
ReplyDeleteDoppelganger, see my link to the works of Richard Mitchell to read about his exposes of preposterous theories. Or just google him.
ReplyDeleteHere's a snippet:
Also sprach a certain Virgil S. Ward, a professor of education (what else?) at the University of Virginia. We lifted all that neat stuff from a snappy little article called "Washington Policy Seminar," Ward's rhapsodic reflections on a synod of so-called "talented/gifted" educationists.†
Ward is not without a tiny gift of his own. He lurches with ease into astonishing figures of speech. He tells of the smoldering welter, the subjugated clarion call, the seed in the scenario, and the maelstrom in the field, in which, most unaccountably, special interests demand a place. But such snippets do him less than justice. Here's the real thing.
Thus, in conclusion, let it be said plainly, that in the perception of this observer, for what the thought of any one individual may be worth, our conceptual foundations have deteriorated to the point that action is now occurring in a virtual void of theory. Theory, it can be reasonably noted, is the intelligence of practical action. And science--i.e., that ordered array of the firmest understanding available in any given era or short term period, inviolable logic of inquiry and observation spelled out in the deepest possible constructs of semantic and quantitative symbolization, precluding the elective judgment and behavioral alternative which does not meet the requirements of the most fundamental criteriology which philosophic thought can produce--the particular science of Differential Education for the Gifted is the critical need now still more than in the 1940's and 1950's when its rudiments might have been forged our but were not.
Here's an interesting (but aged) website on military spending:
ReplyDeleteTruthandpolitics.org
Did I kill the thread with Mitchell's quote from some "educator"? Did it kill too many brain cells for anyone to reply?
ReplyDeleteWell, now that I've killed the thread (I learned from JCM, LOL), I'm off to eat something.
ReplyDeletesb5k ... my hed hurtz ... kan I be xcuzd?
ReplyDelete/
heh Rush is talking about the fraudulent Rathergate documents and drawing on the "fake but accurate" analogy to describe what is going on with the media and the fake slavery reference right now. They are saying maybe it isn't sourced but it is in line with what Rush would say.
ReplyDeleteOLT, you will find I'm old fashioned and I believe in proper spelling.
ReplyDeleteYou must write on the blackboard (we still use chalk and a blackboard in my class)
"My head hurts. May I be excused?"
100 times.
Then you may be excused
sb5K: I'm speechless. I mean, it looks like English, and I understand each word individually, yet somehow it's a foreign language. I was an English major, and I've read some opaque lit crit in my time, but that takes the cake.
ReplyDeleteZOMBIE: Memo to Media Matters: Kevin Jennings knew of Harry Hay’s NAMBLA connections
ReplyDeleteLots there...haven't had a chance to digest it all (juggling about five plates in the air) - we'll likely do an entire thread on it later, but give zombie some love if you're so inclined.
LOTS there.
turn
ReplyDeleteRush Limbaugh Media Lynch Mob
heh Rush is talking about the fraudulent Rathergate documents and drawing on the "fake but accurate" analogy to describe what is going on with the media and the fake slavery reference right now. They are saying maybe it isn't sourced but it is in line with what Rush would say.
ReplyDeleteI hope he sues.
O/R, really? That's weird - I'll fix it.
ReplyDeleteThey mentioned ACORN and prostitution on South Park last night, BTW.
ReplyDeleteThanks red, read that this morning. Funny how most criticism of o is coming from the UK! Well not really when you realize how in the tank the MSM is for teh one.
ReplyDeleteCC, no he's decided to take the high road because the "air is cleaner and there is much less traffic" He said he had a post about suing up at his website but I can't find it.
ReplyDeleteHe said his staff all want him to sue, especially Snerdley, who is black.
ReplyDeletesb5k ...
ReplyDeleteROTL. Lunch has been delayed, so I offer this counter from Mark Twain:
I don't see any use in having a uniform and arbitrary way of spelling words. We might as well make all clothes alike and cook all dishes alike. Sameness is tiresome; variety is pleasing. I have a correspondent whose letters are always a refreshment to me, there is such a breezy unfettered originality about his orthography. He always spells Kow with a large K. Now that is just as good as to spell it with a small one. It is better. It gives the imagination a broader field, a wider scope. It suggests to the mind a grand, vague, impressive new kind of a cow.
- speech at a spelling match, Hartford, Connecticut, May 12, 1875. Reported in the Hartford Courant, May 13, 1875
Steyn link is all fixed now - thanks O/R.
ReplyDeleteI write my own HTML to publish because the Blogger interface is so buggy and weird. I plug in all my tags from a Notepad file I keep on my desktop to minimize my typing, and if I forget to insert the URL for a link, it automatically adds a URL, and apparently that's where it takes you (it took me to my dashboard).
Thanks again for the heads up.
JamesTKirk said...
ReplyDeleteThey mentioned ACORN and prostitution on South Park last night, BTW.
It was great. I almost missed it, though, because it was so fast.
I know the man who is on the show with him right now.
ReplyDeleteOLT, we know that Mark Twain used sarcasm.
ReplyDelete(So did Doug Piranha, but that is a different story.)
Question for all you law geeks out there: If Libel is "defamation" in a permanent medium such a writing, and slander is defamation in a transitory medium such a speech, what does the internet do to this? One could speak slanderous words which are maintained in a permanent medium, such as youtube.
ReplyDeleteNow for a real question: What could limbaugh sue for? Not libel or slander because he is a public figure.
Ha, "The Hutch" is on defending his friend, Rush.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering where he was - they are very good friends.
ReplyDeleteSpenser, Hutch is a seriously gutsy guy.
ReplyDeleteG'morning!
ReplyDeleteGatewaypundit: Majority of Norwegian Peas Prize judges initially opposed giving the prize to Elmer Hussein Gantry.
Your Gender Bender for the day.
ReplyDeleteTransexual Sues Health Insurer for Refusing to Cover Breast Implant Surgery
"This is just how I am," said former British soldier Sarah Jane Smith.
Indeed.
Good morning F2!
ReplyDeleteJust back CC, that's Hutch just before the break right?
ReplyDeleteAlso there: Report: agreement between Zelaya and Honduran agreement reached. Supposedly, the accord entails Micheletti retiring and Zelaya being exiled to Spain.
ReplyDeleteCorrespondence Committee said...
ReplyDeleteI know the man who is on the show with him right now.
Using the new blog Patented Purity of Thought Logic®, that make you Rush Limbaugh!
Hutch, yes - he's holding him over too. He'll be on when Rush comes back.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad he called. I was wondering if he would, and wishing he would.
sasquatchonsteroids said...
ReplyDeleteYour Gender Bender for the day.
Transexual Sues Health Insurer for Refusing to Cover Breast Implant Surgery
"This is just how I am," said former British soldier Sarah Jane Smith.
One of the Doctor's companions was a transsexual? No way.
//////
Using the new blog Patented Purity of Thought Logic®, that make you Rush Limbaugh!
ReplyDeleteI'M RICH!!!!!!!!!!
I never had any large respect for good spelling. That is my feeling yet. Before the spelling-book came with its arbitrary forms, men unconsciously revealed shades of their characters and also added enlightening shades of expression to what they wrote by their spelling, and so it is possible that the spelling-book has been a doubtful benevolence to us.
ReplyDelete- Mark Twain's Autobiography
dang, he's going to have to call back later in the week. CC, how did you meet him if I might ask?
ReplyDeleteBTW, I'm a former (FORMER) spelling champ, but I love LOLspeak and texting forms because they are fun.
ReplyDeleteI never had any large respect for good spelling.
ReplyDeleteI'm in good company!
Good morning!
ReplyDeleteIf anyone's missed it, there's a new essay up at zomblog. Go, read, for it is good.
And in the ever-more Byzantine (ahem) Israel-Turkey story, Turkish authorities arrested 32 suspected al-Qaida terrorists who may have been planning attacks on NATO, US and Israeli targets.
ReplyDeleteToo bad - Hutch couldn't hold over. I can't wait to hear him rant about this. He's a serious fighter - the attack he has personally endured around Seattle is incredible.
ReplyDeleteMorning Dianna, CC linked to that upthread, I've got it open in another window but haven't found time to read it yet. Glad to see her take on that frickin Media Matters
ReplyDelete2. Kevin Jennings was praising the admirable side of Harry Hay, not the reprehensible side of Harry Hay.
ReplyDeleteOMG ... must I live the same experience over and over? No wonder immortals always turned to evil in the old fables. My sense of irony is ripped from me each day like so much liver, and then restored only to be eaten again ...
/
OLT, I know.
ReplyDeleteIn the comments, Throbert McGee is providing some really interesting perspective, particularly in his conversation with Starless.
Can I just say that Maureen Dowd is a blathering idiot? Said it. Thanks. I appreciate your time.
ReplyDeleteMy sense of irony is ripped from me each day like so much liver
ReplyDeleteDamn, you're good!
turn:
ReplyDeleteI've sung at events with him. (Well, I sang, he spoke. LOL)
He's a great, great man.
Origin of Specious said...
ReplyDeleteCan I just say that Maureen Dowd is a blathering idiot? Said it. Thanks. I appreciate your time.
Were commentary baked goods, she would rank with Twinkies.
Origin of Specious said...
ReplyDeleteCan I just say that Maureen Dowd is a blathering idiot? Said it. Thanks. I appreciate your time.
I cannot disagree with you, but what did she do this time?
OLT : or Ho Ho's
ReplyDeleteOne of the Doctor's companions was a transsexual? No way.
ReplyDeleteHe-to-she was attacked by a dalek. "E-mas-cu-late!"
I cannot disagree with you, but what did she do this time?
ReplyDeleteWhat didn't she do?
Dianna:
ReplyDeleteJust read her Oct 13 Op Ed in NYT going after the Cheney clan. I have no love lost for them, but Dowd is just a tool.
Old Line Texan said: Were commentary baked goods, she would rank with Twinkies.
ReplyDeletelol - sadly, those never decompose, as they are not really food.
JTK - LOL
ReplyDeleteOoS, that was either sexist or religionist.
ReplyDeleteLet me get back to you with a moral pronouncement after I consult with Rick "Dirty" Sanchez, the new Conscience of the Media.
/////
OLT - Hey . . .we are just talking bakery here.
ReplyDelete[whistling innocently]
Kirk - Great. Anything with the Daleks.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what brought on all of this twinkie bashing this morning, but if it continues, I will be forced to report the offending parties to our Hostess.
ReplyDeleteSasquatch - Blame it on that little hell raising bitch, Little Debbie.
ReplyDeleteAnything with the Daleks.
ReplyDeletehttp://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1193/abductedbythedaleks.jpg
sas, don't report anyone; if you do, everything will snoball.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what brought on all of this twinkie bashing this morning, but if it continues, I will be forced to report the offending parties to our Hostess.
ReplyDeletesas, don't report anyone; if you do, everything will snoball.
Ho-ho.
Sos, you have a Snoball's chance in hell of making that report. Stop being a Ding-Dong.
ReplyDeleteDamn you, JTK! Missed it by seconds.
ReplyDeleteJTK, NSFW. Fortunately, no one was looking at the time.
ReplyDeleteFunny, though, I didn't think the Daleks went into abduction; I never hear them say "Ab-Duct"; it's always "Ex-term-in-ate" like they work for Orkin or something.
(I keep wanting to do a fake ad for Orkin that has Daleks going around exterminating.)
I mean sb5k...
ReplyDeleteSorry, I didn't put a NSFW warning since it was censored with black bars.
ReplyDeletesb5k, well no need to get flakie about it...
ReplyDeleteDianna said...
ReplyDeleteIn the comments, Throbert McGee is providing some really interesting perspective, particularly in his conversation with Starless.
Thank you for the recommendation. Very informative. I disagree with Starless on the "self-made man" meme, but those two are displaying a depth of knowledge and a respect that I used to see on a regular basis.
I loves them Suzy Q's, myself.
ReplyDeletePaladinPhil said...
ReplyDeletesb5k, well no need to get flakie about it...
Man, a "Passion Flakie" ... Canadian snacks are teh HAWT.
/
Little Debbie is a Seventh Day Adventist.
ReplyDeleteJust a little fun fact for y'all.
OLT: Actually they are quite good. A nice flaky crust wrapped around a icing fruit filling. There was a commercial on quite a few years ago that had a lady giggling about how rough her day was and eating the snack at the same time. Thought that ran threw my mind was you are what you eat. :)
ReplyDelete/yeah, I am mean.