
Highlights of this day in history: Thomas Edison dies; James D. Watson, Francis Crick and Maurice Wilkins win the Nobel Prize for their determination of the structure of DNA; CBS announces an employee tested positive for anthrax; 4 Al-Qaeda members sentenced for their role in the 1998 United States embassy bombings; The U.S. Olympic Committee suspends two black athletes for giving a "black power" salute; Chuck Berry born.
Other notable October 18th events include:
1648 – Boston Shoemakers form first U.S. labor organization.
1767 – Mason-Dixon line, survey separating Maryland from Pennsylvania is completed.
1851 – Herman Melville's Moby-Dick is first published as The Whale by Richard Bentley of London.
1867 – United States takes possession of Alaska after purchasing it from Russia for $7.2 million.
1898 – United States takes possession of Puerto Rico.
1925 – The Grand Ole Opry opens in Nashville, Tennessee.
1954 – Texas Instruments announces the first Transistor radio.
1964 – The 1964-1965 New York World's Fair closes for its first season after a six-month run.
1991 – Azerbaijan declares independence from USSR.
A shoe, a whale, a cowboy hat and a portable radio.
ReplyDelete/in the library with a rope!
Breakfast time...have a great day, {littleoldlady}!
ReplyDeleteOne more.
1963 - Truck Monkey is born.
ReplyDeleteFORTH
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY, TRUCK MONEY!
ReplyDelete/you young thing, you! :-)
Yesterday was my daughter's b'day.
Bye, scotti! :-)
ReplyDeleteTHAT'S what fall should look like...not this chilly, soggy mess we've got going now!
Well lol, look at it this way, if the economy really tanks, Obama could sell Alaska back to the Russsians. He gets money in the treasury and neutralizes Palin at the same time. Win/Win
ReplyDelete*logs back in*
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday, TM!
Morning all. Should be a glorius fall day where I am headed. Central Ontario usually gets it's colour with the temps we've been getting lately. Must remember to stock up on charged batteries.
ReplyDeleteThat's an interesting sub routine, lol posts twice and everybody loses their avatar. Don't think we havent noticed lol.
ReplyDeletePanhandler! :-)
ReplyDeleteJust in case we ever get a president with the cajones to DRILL FOR OIL, we may want to hang on to Alaska...
'Morning, Phil! :-)
Happy B-day truck monkey. Any plans for the day?
ReplyDeleteNope, 5 real avatars per thread and then...GENERIC!
ReplyDelete/at least Bare fixed it so we have SOMETHING there instead of just Stroehmann's white bread slices.
In hohor of TMs birthday (Happy,Happy by the way)I think I shall also do a Phil and venture forth to observe the changing fall colors. Since I reside on the Gulf Coast this might take a while though.
ReplyDeleteSupplies limited, get there early, be the first on your block to have an avatar.
ReplyDeleteI made you a cake, Truck Monkey!
ReplyDeletePlans for the day? Football! My sons football game last night was a real thriller. They got down 12-0 and ended up winning 19-12. I announced that game from the booth. A lot of fun I tell ya. I called my sons name numerous times. That always makes it better. I am now off to wake up the family to tell them to celebrate me. BBL
ReplyDeleteThis one may suit you better, though.
ReplyDeleteThank you all and thank you Lol for my awesome cake. I will eat it all.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy, Truck Monkey! :-)
ReplyDelete/...while you're still young enough to look forward to birthdays! ;-)
Tm says: "I will eat it all"
ReplyDeleteShare!
We need some MUSIC!
ReplyDeletetalloldman discovered youtube yesterday.
ReplyDelete/life as I KNEW it is over...
Happy B-Day Truck Monkey.
ReplyDeleteGEEPERS! :-)
ReplyDeletelittleoldlady, why is it a bad thing that he found youtube? Does he have no taste in music?
ReplyDeletePanhandler,
ReplyDeleteHe has GREAT taste in music, but now he sits by the computer all day and I have to work the controls for him. :-/
LOL, you just have to learn him on computer use. :)
ReplyDeleteSecurity? We don't need no steenkin' security!
ReplyDeletePanhandler,
ReplyDeleteSure thing, and while I'm at it I should teach him how to make Beef Wellington and fondant for cake.
/computer use...bwahahahaha!
ER, that was Phil lol. I for one would never think to denigrate toms taste in music. Look at it this way, he will now be much more receptive to plaints of "We need a new box with lots more speed and memory."
ReplyDeleteTime to wake everyone up.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Truck Monkey.
ReplyDeletelol is reading challanged. She has nick dyslexia. WE WANT OUR AVATARS!
ReplyDeletePHIL. Sorry, Panhandler! :-)
ReplyDeleteNicklexia!
ReplyDelete/or an urgent need of a nap!
Well, I knew who you were talking to lol, besides both our nicks start with the same letter. ;)
ReplyDelete"Pa".
ReplyDelete/me haz short attention span ;-)
Panhandler not sorry. Panhandler take any crumb of recognition available. Panhandler leads sheltered life. Panhandler also likes trains.
ReplyDeleteA Halloween treat: Nightmare on Capitol Hill
ReplyDeletemorning all. You need to see Karl Rove taking on Terry Mcawful on FNS.
ReplyDeleteFormercorpsman! :-)
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to excuse me...I really AM asleep!
beach lover! HOWDY! :-)
ReplyDeleteheh, getting in the proper mood for today. :)
ReplyDeleteand one more thing... I'm sick of this new term "progressive" being used for "liberal". What did they do, focus group this?
ReplyDeleteHey LOL. You are usually gone by the time I check in. So, thanks for the fruit cup past, present and future!
ReplyDelete:-) Love the pic, too
Well, good morning y'all - from a COLD (37 degrees, going up to 52 degrees) and, finally, a sunny, bright Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteI'm doing well and hope you all are too!
Hey Pi Guy - last night - or rather earlier this morning you showed a cartoon based upon Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes and I was just wondering if you drew that cartoon up yourself?
ReplyDeleteYeah, I know! I'm here a LOT, aren't I?
ReplyDelete;-)
Morning Realwest. When did you get our weather?
ReplyDelete{realwest}! :-)
ReplyDeleteHave a great day, all. Gotta run.
ReplyDeleteGreat seeing you, beach lover! :-)
ReplyDeleteOops! almost missed Realwest! {real}. Yes...it is great to see the sun, but I have to go scrounge around for my warmer clothes!
ReplyDeleteGood Morning {real}. Glad you are having a nice sunny Fall day.
ReplyDeleteWe still have rain today. :-(
ReplyDelete/feh pui yuck!
GAK! :-)
ReplyDeleteHey PaladinPhil, we got your weather or, about a week or so ago. High's in the upper 50's (if we're lucky) lows in the 30's) and they have the NERVE to call this the SOUTHLAND!!!
ReplyDeleteHumph!
How are ya doing?
G'morning/Afternoon all!
ReplyDeleteVDH: Confessions of a cultural dropout.
Morning {lady}. I have an extra umbrella if you need it.
ReplyDeleteFor you
Hey {Beach Lover} great to see you too! Listen if y'all should find an extra sweatshirt, size L or XL, could y'all send it up this way? A hoodie would be preferred! LOL!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Truck Monkey! (I graduated from high school in 1963...thanks for the reminder.);)
ReplyDeleteGood morning everyone! Mwahz to all y'all.
Hi and bye Beach Lover. (Missed her by *this* much dammit.)
To whom are the Bucs losing today? (Good grammar with coffee for a chilly Sunday morning in Tampa!)
(Who stole our avatars? Gone, but not forgotten?)
{Gak} Hey, how the heck are you today?
ReplyDeleteIt's been enjoyable as usual but it's time to gird my loins (No Shoes, No Pants, No Service) and venture forth in search of the wiley Bacon and nefarious Eggs. This weather shift is great isn't it realwest.
ReplyDeleteHey Happy Birtdhay Truck Monkey! And many happy returns of the day!
ReplyDeleteHey there {gettinby}! You graduated high school in 1963?!? You don't look a day older than if you'd graduated high school in 2003!!!!
ReplyDelete:)
midwestgak,
ReplyDeleteOH! Very nice! Magical, in fact. ;-)
Hey Panhandler - what, was it something I said?!?
ReplyDeletePlease don't go!!
Can't ya beg for bacon and eggs over the phone to some restaurant, coffee shop or deli?!?
Doing good {real}. It's a lovely, sunny, peaceful Sunday morning.
ReplyDeletegettinby! :-)
ReplyDeleteAvatars are on strike. They want more bandwidth. Union dues are a killer!
See "Pa"...er...PANHANDLER! ;-)
ReplyDeleteThings are going good Realwest. Going shooting today with a couple of friends. Should be interesting. Two have never fired a real rifle/gun before. Me, it's been too long. Going to have to find some targets though.
ReplyDeleteHere you go P&P
ReplyDeleteSteady now
Hey {real}! I may ACT like a 6-year-old more than LOOK that young. LOL
ReplyDelete{littleoldlady}! I guess it could be worse...they could be the o's logo or an acorn. :(
Our country's flag is always beautiful, so I'm really not complaining.
QUESTION! Did I hear correctly that the Senate has taken military ammo $$ to use for special projects or some stupid thing?
Ah {midwestgak} enjoy it! Peaceful mornings, Sunday or otherwise are a treasure to be cherished!
ReplyDeleteHey {littleoldlady}! Hope you're well if wet!!
ReplyDeleteWhen y'all get a chance could you check your e-mail please?!
QUESTION! Did I hear correctly that the Senate has taken military ammo $$ to use for special projects or some stupid thing?
ReplyDeleteYUP. :-(
PaladinPhil - hey, going shooting? At a range or just off in the woods somewhere?!
ReplyDeleteAs for targets, well if you have any, um, you know, posters of, er, well, nevermind!
Have a fun day!
Realwest: Just out in the country somewhere in a quarry. I don't have posters of anyone, hmmm.... Maybe a couple of pictures would do.
ReplyDeleteNew thread upstairs ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
ReplyDeleteY'all know something - it's so damn cold out there, that the birds are wearing sleeveless sweatshirts!
ReplyDeleteI mean, good Lord, this is the SOUTH. I live practically in South Carolina and the temp JUST went over the 41 degree mark!!
Thanks, littleoldlady. I'll be doing some emails and calls on this, that's for sure.
ReplyDelete/is there a better word than pathetic to describe these people?