Saturday, October 3, 2009

Today in History: October 3rd





Highlights of this day in history: O.J. Simpson found not guilty of murder at his criminal trial; St. Francis of Assisi dies; Germany reunifies; Baseball's 'shot heard 'round the world'; 'Captain Kangaroo' and 'Mickey Mouse Club' hit TV.

Other notable October 3rd events include:

1778 – British Captain James Cook anchors in Alaska.

1795 – General Napoleon Bonaparte first rises to national prominence being named to defend the French National Convention against armed counter-revolutionary rioters threatening the three year old revolutionary government.

1849 – American author Edgar Allan Poe is found delirious in a gutter in Baltimore, Maryland under mysterious circumstances; it is the last time he is seen in public before his death.

1863 – The last Thursday in November is declared as Thanksgiving Day by President Abraham Lincoln as are Thursdays, November 30, 1865 and November 29, 1866.

1873 – Captain Jack and companions are hanged for their part in the Modoc War.

1957 – Allen Ginsberg's Howl and Other Poems is ruled not obscene.

2003 – Roy Horn of Siegfried & Roy is attacked by one of the show's tigers, canceling the show for good until 2009, when they rejoined along side the tiger that mauled Roy just six years earlier.

It seems to be a day in history for Captains - Captain Kangaroo, Captain Jack, and O Captain! My Captain!.

28 comments:

  1. I had the good fortune to be in Germany on October 3. I was there most of the years 1989-90; I came home the day the first gulf war started. It was an exciting time to be over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was having a hard time accessing/posting on this site (plus google & gmail). Have a feeling the pain has only subsided momentarily. If I disappear...send out the Mounties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well do littleoldlady. After all the Mounties always get their man.

    /errr, in this case woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby has a cold, which mean he was up coughing half the night. Needless to say, Daddy is tired.

    Gotta roust up the oldest boy -- he's got a football game today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Send the Marines, too.

    /may as well go for broke! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Phil!
    Hi Lucius!
    littleoldlady! I'll share in your computer ills today...mine has been advised to go before the death panel. LOL

    /Showing off my new avatar before I hit the workday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY nice, gettinby!

    /'cept for the part where you're rubbing it in for us northeners... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks to be a beautiful day here -- right now it's sunny and 59 degrees -- going up into the mid seventies. Perfect football weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning C2ers. I got your mail lol. I assume you are all sorted out now.

    littleoldlady said...

    VERY nice, gettinby!

    /'cept for the part where you're rubbing it in for us northeners... ;-)


    I will wait a few months before I start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect football weather.

    Except for the Bucs. Nothing seems to be in their favor this year.

    Found out the other day that my husband has a cousin playing for the Packers. I guess I should become a Packer fan for awhile?

    ReplyDelete
  11. ETR!

    /It's a Floridian's JOB to rub it in on the northerners. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erik! :-)

    PERHAPS the problem is solved. [verybigsigh]

    And don't YOU start, too! I don't think I can take it... (sob!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Busy slogging away here. I think I have lost a whole month of pictures from this year, maybe more. I had forgotten how many pictures I had taken. Good news, I found some video I had shot and thought was lost. :)

    /time to hit the editing room....

    ReplyDelete
  14. good morning! Computer epidemic, it seems. The death panel veiwed mine negatively. We will see what the weekend brings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The death panel veiwed mine negatively.

    But there are no death panels! And it was for the "common good." Just keep saying that to yourself over and over again.

    "it is for the common good"
    "it is for the common good"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey y'all this is REALWEST writing to y'all from a mild (63 degrees going up to 81 degrees) bright, sunny and Carolina Blue Skied Charlotte!
    How are y'all doing today?
    And littleoldlady - I got e-mail from ya this morning so are you're 'puter problems fixed?
    Gettinby - GREAT new avatar - do y'all have shoes and a handbag to match?!
    And Lucius and ETR and Army Wife and PaladinPhil good morning to y'all, too!

    Hey where'd the frutcup go, huh?!?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Erik - what all e-mail are y'all talking about from us C2ers? Or are you being cryptic just for the sake of busting the chops of those of us who haven't had a full cuppa coffe yet.
    NOT EVEN ONE FULL ONE!!!
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mornin' Real.

    It's 59 here in Chambodia and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good morning realwest. Fruitcup is down stairs. We are having a rainy weekend up here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Morning RW! Hope things are well, sounds like a gorgeous day! We are opening up the windows and letting the fresh air in - I love being able to do that! Big journey back to MD this afternoon to surprise my Daddy. I need to go get a new dress, trying to decide what I want in said new dress.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just threw a new thread upstairs.
    ---------->

    Fresh coffee, bagels, smear and croissants.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a week, though. Can you flippin' believe Media Matters is trying to justify what Safe School KaaZar Jennings did because the kid was 16 at the time? That makes it ok? Perhaps it resolves the statutory rape thing (though Jennings thought the kid was 15, so I'm not sure the resolution is iron clad) - but sheesh - this kid is trolling for sex in a BATHROOM and told Jennings repeatedly about his "adventures" (Jennings words, not mine) and no one on the left thinks it was a problem Jennings didn't discourage this kid? Offer counseling? Tell parents? SOMETHING?

    ReplyDelete
  23. and oh by the way, this guy is a fan of one of the founders of NAMBLA, but you know, that is merely details.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Would Jennings have been held liable if that kid contracted AIDS?

    ReplyDelete