Sunday, October 4, 2009

Does this thread make my butt look fat?


Now for something completely different.

These women are plus-sized models, featured in a photo shoot done by Glamour Magazine. What we want to know is, do they look overweight to you, or do they look normal? We're looking for answers from our male and female commenters. Second question: Hot, or not? Is super skinny still in? Discuss. (We'll watch more football tonight in the Pub.) Hat tip: Big Fur Hat at I Own the World.

A little compare and contrast for you:

81 comments:

  1. Picture of a real live fashion model of the non-plus sized variety added for your perspective. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. CC,

    I'm nauseous just from looking at her. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those PLUS SIZED, yummy I'd say.

    *retch* is what I'm doin' to the second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry. The girls in the first picture may be categorized as "plus sized" in the modeling business but I'd bet anything that NOT ONE of them actually WEARS a plus size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anorexia is not a pretty thing.
    I spent my formative years in Arkansas and Louisiana. I've seen plus size women. The ladies in the top photo ain't.
    But they're for sure hot.
    Sizzling!

    By the way, the Washington Deadskins won. At last.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When does the pub open? I need a beer. Or three.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just ran across a story looking for images where a fashion model (the second time) passed out on the runway. Passed out! Not surprising, but my goodness, that is sick.

    I also read a couple of the plus-sized women in that photo are size 12-14. American women generally, in my experience, think that's "too fat" (probably depends some on height, of course).

    They look fine to me, they really do. Very typical, really. (Interesting that plus-sized models don't wear plus-sized clothes, since plus-sized clothes start at a higher size than that.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim, very soon - waiting on a little communication from Brandy, but we're on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They may be "Plus sized" models in some bizzaro world but they sure as hell look good to me!
    Really beautiful SEXY women! That there skinny one in the second photo looks like my cousin Ralph,frankly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This poll is bound to get more reaction than political polls. Now if we could get these lovely women to endorse Bob McDonnell in Virginia, my day's work would be complete!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim in Virginia,
    When does the pub open? I need a beer. Or three.
    ---
    If it is business as usual it should be open in about ten minutes brother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. littleoldlady, how are you doing sweetie?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, lol - didn't see your comment when I posted, but yeah, you're right. Only 12-14 (plus starts at what - 18? 20?), and they had other pictures of them up there that looked lovely, really.

    It's crazy what the media can do to people's minds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Horchata, waving at you from the Peoples Republic of Alexandria. I suspect we've met before?

    ReplyDelete
  15. {My Rove}! :-)

    Tired. Long day. How's by you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Horchata, word! People like to talk about the way women look. At least that's what I'm hoping by popping this thread up here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ETR, I think they're gorgeous too. I'll put your vote down exactly as written.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Horchata - maybe you should suggest that in a memo to the candidate!
    Or.............maybe not! Hope you're doing well!

    And Jim in Virginia, how are you doing my friend?

    Oh, uh this is REALWEST. Sigh.

    High Littleoldlady! It's good to see you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. littloldlady, I'm doing very well. It was a good day today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. CC,

    I think if you go into the the Plus Size stores the sizes start at 16, but they are cut large or the styles are unstructured so that a woman who might normally be an 18-22 would fit into those 16s.

    In a department store or regular dress shop, yes, I would say "plus" is size 18.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Hi" littleoldlady, not "High" - unless you've been smokin' some funny looking hand rolled cigs I mean! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Pub will open at 5:30PM PST/8:30PM EST tonight, guys - Brandy will be there to open up.

    For now let's kick this one around and we can watch the night game up there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. cc, I REALLY like the photo, but isn't this dangerously close to blog pimping?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sigh, well on that less than glorious typo and note, I'm outta here for dinner, YAY!!!
    Hope you all have a GREAT evening and that I get the chance to see you all down the road tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They need the dress.

    /you know, to complete the fashion statement

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi all. The top photo shows healthy women. The bottom? Ewww. But the top don't look "plus sized" anything. Women are made to have curves - it's how we have babies - we need some fat to get pregnant, and some stores to get us through pregnancy.

    Ok, so not as many stores as *I* had while pregnant, mind you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Damn KB, how about a warning next time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Realwest,
    "Hi" littleoldlady, not "High"
    --
    I was wonderin' who smoked what? Are the meds real good today? Questions upon questions!?!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'll bet Helen Thomas looked like those girls when she was younger.

    :')

    ReplyDelete
  30. DesertSage said...

    I'll bet Helen Thomas looked like those girls when she was younger.


    You should know Sage. She is your new squeeze.:)))

    ReplyDelete
  31. ArmyWife,

    Ok, so not as many stores as *I* had while pregnant, mind you!

    You too?! I gained so much weight they stopped weighing me at the end - EVERYONE was depressed about it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a strange middle aged man I guess.

    I like more meat on the bone and I find older women more attractive and sexier than the 20 or 30 somethings.

    IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes, Jim in Alexandria, I'm Alegrias of Alexandria and will try to revert to that name--we've emailed in past--before I was laid off a week after President Obama's inauguration.

    Isn't this new site dynamite? It's good to see everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I find Helen Thomas strangely attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  35. If only Mama Cass had shared her ham sandwich with Karen Carpenter... they might both still be alive.

    /

    ReplyDelete
  36. DesertSage said...

    I'll bet Helen Thomas looked like those girls when she was younger.

    I starting to worry about you DS.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is a German soap commercial from "Dove":

    They specifically select for average women for their print ads. These Photos are from their diversity campaign.
    Dove and this ad says Still no models but hot curves.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Spenser (with an S) said...

    If only Mama Cass had shared her ham sandwich with Karen Carpenter... they might both still be alive.

    ROFLMAO

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jorline, I'm with you. If I were dating again (And I'm so glad I'm not) I can't imagine chasing a 20 something.
    Not that any of them would have me.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The much malligned shrunken by osteoporosis Helen Thomas has gained in stature in my book, for her recent gutsiness calling out White House spokesman Gibbs.

    Too bad Ms. Thomas has lost so much bone mass--but not her backbone.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jorline,
    I'm a strange middle aged man I guess.

    I like more meat on the bone and I find older women more attractive and sexier than the 20 or 30 somethings.

    IMHO

    ---
    Not only your humble opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What's happening Cal?

    PS...The Cowboys suck and Romo is a *delete*.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Horchata/ Alegiras, I figured that was you. Glad you're here. Yes, this is a a great spot. Drop into the pub at 830.
    How goes the campaign? I need to get a yard sign.

    ReplyDelete
  44. My beautiful bride and mother of our 4 kids ran 6.75 miles yesterday. She looks better now than at any time in the last 15 years, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Callahan23 said...

    Not only your humble opinion!

    I guess that's why I find my wife more attractive with each passing year.

    She thinks I'm nuts....and horny.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Jorline,
    What's happening Cal?
    ---
    I am good, but single again after 18 years.
    Those women with a 'back' look mighty attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Jim in Virginia,

    Less than 30 days to go, I'm no expert but unemployment rising makes "Bob4Jobs" more attractive to me. Fox News came in to the First Street "Victory" office today, I hope that's a good sign. Two Redskins will be there this coming Tuesday nite if you want to go pick up some signs & get facetime with an old Redskin.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I hear ya Jim. The 20 somethings are shallow and probably composed of mostly plastic...lol

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hey, sorry to hear that Cal. I went through that 17 years ago. I'm glad I found someone far superior the second time around.

    ...and she puts up with my sorry ass...lol

    ReplyDelete
  50. Horchata, with all due respect, if Zorn endorses McDonnell he will lose votes.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Jorline,
    Hey, sorry to hear that Cal. I went through that 17 years ago. I'm glad I found someone far superior the second time around.
    ---
    I am really happy for you!

    Some day maybe !?! someone else is gonna put up with my sorry ass.

    ReplyDelete
  52. JIm, Redskins coach Zorn isn't endorsing McDonnell, I meant a few Redskins players will be at the GOP "Victory" office, Mark Mosely or something, and another guy. Presumably they speak for themselves only.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Change of times.

    My son and his wife are expecting their first child in December. First time Papa here!

    Our daughter-in-law sent tasteful pictures of her bare PG stomach...some B&W and some color. My wife thought they were over the top while I found them cool.

    Nothing prettier than a pregnant woman.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Pablo Picasso did a painting like this, Demoiselles de Avignon, anyone remember?

    These women are far better looking than anything communist Picasso did during his crazy rhomboid years.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Should I post the Pork recipe here or wait for the new site's recipe forum, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  56. First pic is not bad.
    A curvy woman has always been my.....weakness.

    That second pic, well, that's just a damn shame.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Pork recipe -- seems appropriate for this thread, no?

    ReplyDelete
  58. Jorline,

    Thank you for celebrating pregnancy as a beautiful stage of life.
    Skin-tight stretchy garments over a pregnant belly aren't my favorite thing, but if they help women feel great about being pregnant, more power to them.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Jorline, a buddy told me once that the only bad part about being a grandpa is that you have to sleep with Grandma.
    Pretty small price to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Pork & fall Oktoberfest go well together.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Callahan23 said...

    Some day maybe !?! someone else is gonna put up with my sorry ass.

    Don't fight the feeling Cal...you will!

    My wife and I dated for two years after my divorced...I didn't want to get married.

    I broke up her on Valentines Day when she was leaving on a two week business trip the morning to Argentina. I know...what an ass!

    She called me everyday and never gave up on me. She told me you never quit on the person you love.

    I've never forgoten that and respect her immensely for her devotion.

    I'm one lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Pub is open upstairs. Tragically, no nekkid wimmen there....
    yet.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Lucius Septimius

    I like this version better.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCv2cgIlnHA

    ReplyDelete
  64. All the women in the top picture would look great in traditional Oktoberfest apparel, you know, those Renaissance-y lowcut peasant blouses & tight Dirndl dresses.

    The skinny girl couldn't hoist ONE, much less a couple Hofbrau mugs of beer.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Cuban (not Bajan, although I have that here somewhere too for the new site) Pork Recipe.

    9 cloves of garlic
    2Tbs salt
    4tsp oregano
    1Tbs ground cumin
    2tsp black pepper
    2tsp chili powder
    1Tbs grated orange zest
    2Tbs vinegar
    juice of 1 lime
    3 onions
    2 shots of rum
    1/2 cup of vegetable broth

    Combine all above into a bowl and mix. Put a pork shoulder in a crock pot and pour mixture over it. Let it go at least half-day and then shred it. Serve in warm tortillas w/ sour cream, shredded cheese, etc..

    ReplyDelete
  66. Speaking for myself (but not for MiniMe), I think all the women in the top photo are gorgeous -- and if I were hetero, I'd definitely want a girlfriend who had a similar amount of "padding." Maybe even a little bit more than they have, but preferably not LESS.

    (And this is pretty much about how I feel about "overweightness" in men. Assuming that a guy is in reasonably good physical condition and within a healthy weight range, I'll take a modest-sized beer gut and love handles over "cut" six-pack abs any day -- because a bit of fat and softness on top of the muscles just LOOKS and FEELS sexier, in my opinion. And it also suggests that the guy takes care of his body without denying himself the pleasures of well-cooked food and quality beer.)

    Also, my idea of a "perfect third or fourth date" would be several miles of vigorous hiking in a scenic nature preserve OR a similarly strenuous amount of walking around an interesting urban environment, followed by teaming up to cook a moderately complicated dinner from scratch. (And then eventually getting into progressively more R-rated, NC-17, and triple-X ways of showing affection, love handles and all, but only after we'd properly digested the homemade meal accompanied by a good movie on DVD.)

    But in any case, a love of healthy physical exertion like hiking (or biking or iceskating or whatever), AND a guiltless appreciation of skillfully cooked food, AND "body self-acceptance" are all things that I consider valuable in a love-partner of either sex, whatever one's orientation is.

    ReplyDelete
  67. The real women in the top photo are beautiful & very sexy. That poor sick creature in the bottom photo need therapy. I haven't read any comments so far, but I'm going to guess all the male readers agree and at least some of the female reades are surprised.

    Here's a hint why: heterosexual males do not find fashion models attractive. Fashion maodels are chosen by usually gay male fashion designers who neither like the female form nor do they understand what female beauty is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Here's a hint why: heterosexual males do not find fashion models attractive. Fashion models are chosen by usually gay male fashion designers who neither like the female form nor do they understand what female beauty is all about.

    Actually, it's a little more complicated than that, Kenneth, though I agree with your overall point that fashion models represent a standard of beauty that isn't healthy, isn't realistic, and isn't even sexy to most observers.

    The additional layers of complexity would include the points that the warped aesthetic standards of these gay male fashion designers are also reflected in the clothes that they design for men, despite the fact that they ostensibly like male beauty; and that the porn aimed at heterosexual males also presents a gross and caricatured idea of female beauty -- it's just a different sort of gross caricature than you get from the fashion world.

    ReplyDelete