Either or, I was dog sitting this afternoon at a friends place.
thought I would hop on her computer and kill time. Unfortunately her blog spot settings are on Hebrew, and I couldn't log in. Really bizarre, will have to ask her about that when I remember.
Oh, Jorline...I was posting to you in the last thread but I ended up talking to myself. I was mentioning that I didn't know if you'd seen me begging you for a name for the food/garden forum (you're now my go-to name guy LOL), but if you did, I didn't see an answer, so I just grabbed the first thing that came into my head and designed the logo...anyway, it's already incorporated into the new place, and we're on our way with that. We hope you'll consider being a contributor there! (If you have time.)
The version of Windows that succeeds Windows 7 will include a 128-bit architecture, according to an embarrassing leak from Microsoft's research and development team in the US.
Microsoft employee Robert Morgan appeared to detail the software giant's plans for Windows 8, and even Windows 9, on business networking site LinkedIn, where he listed his job as 'senior research and development'. His profile has now been removed from the main LinkedIn site, but is still viewable in Google's search cache.In it, he says he's "working in high security department for research and development involving strategic planning for medium and longterm projects."
He goes on to say his R&D projects include: "128-bit architecture compatibility with the Windows 8 kernel and Windows 9 project plan." He's also responsible for "forming relationships with major partners: Intel, AMD, HP and IBM."
As for my take... Barack Obama just promised us that if he becomes president, he's going to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell, the Defense of Marriage Act, and get ENDA passed. It was a bit surreal. I'm sitting at a fundraiser for the No on 1 effort in Maine (that Obama didn't even bother to mention), and we were all just speechless (actually, hardly speechless - and I thought yelling at the TV was long since over). Obama repeated his campaign promises. That was it.
What's particularly disturbing is how President Obama contradicts himself, and his own administration, when talking to a gay crowd. The president claimed that he's for treating gay couples just like married couples. Then why is he against letting gay couples marry? The president claimed that it doesn't matter if we're at war and working on health care and lots of other important issues, we must forget ahead on gay civil rights. Then why is Obama's own administration putting out the talking point that they can't move ahead on gay rights until the wars are over, until health care is over, until Obama has less on his plate? Even General Jones last week said we can't do DADT because we're at war in Iraq and Afghanistan. But President Obama claimed today that precisely because we're at war it is important to lift the ban now.
Huh?
What did President Obama say new tonight? Absolutely nothing. What did the Human Rights Campaign get in exchange for once again giving our president cover for all of his broken promises to our community? Absolutely nothing.
I like HRC, I know a lot of people who work there, I've defended them when others in the community have been highly critical of them. But it is criminal that any gay rights organization would invite an embattled president to their dinner, giving him political cover for repeated broken promises and slaps in the face to our community (like the DOMA incest brief), and then get absolutely nothing in return. HRC's actions only feed the suspicions of critics who say that the organization is more interested in fundraisers than in advancing our rights.
All in all, the evening was a disappointment, but not unexpected. President Obama doesn't do controversy, and we, my friends, are controversy. So, the bad blood between this administration and the gay community will remain, and continue to worsen. It's unfortunate, but at some point you have to have enough dignity to say enough is enough. The Obama administration doesn't respect our community, and doesn't respect the seriousness of our cause. It's our job to hold them accountable. And we will.
Oh, Jorline...I was posting to you in the last thread but I ended up talking to myself. I was mentioning that I didn't know if you'd seen me begging you for a name for the food/garden forum (you're now my go-to name guy LOL), but if you did, I didn't see an answer, so I just grabbed the first thing that came into my head and designed the logo...anyway, it's already incorporated into the new place, and we're on our way with that. We hope you'll consider being a contributor there! (If you have time.)
And then I asked how you've been. : )
Sorry I missed the request CC. I would consider it an honor to help C2 at any time...just let me know how I can be of service.
You're doing a dynamite job with everything CC. I'm sure it looks great.
A kindergarten pupil told his teacher he'd found a cat, but it was dead. "How do you know that the cat was dead?" she asked her pupil. "Because I pissed in its ear and it didn't move," answered the child innocently. "You did WHAT ? ! ?" the teacher exclaimed in surprise. "You know,"explained the boy, "I leaned over and went 'Pssst!' and it didn't move."
A small boy is sent to bed by his father. Five minutes later....."Da-ad...." "What?" "I'm thirsty. Can you bring drink of water?" "No, You had your chance. Lights out." Five minutes later: "Da-aaaad....." "WHAT?" "I'm THIRSTY. Can I have a drink of water??" "I told you NO! If you ask again, I'll have to spank you!!" Five minutes later......"Daaaa-aaaad....." "WHAT!" "When you come in to spank me, can you bring a drink of water?"
I'm good! I'm honing my artistic skillz a little bit, so that's fun (I am a singer, primarily - Bare and I have a side business, an LLC, doing web design...this is a big project, and it's good for me); been very busy.
When I was six months pregnant with my third child, my three year old came into the room when I was just getting ready to get into the shower. She said, "Mommy, you are getting fat!" I replied, "Yes, honey, remember Mommy has a baby growing in her tummy." "I know," she replied, but what's growing in your butt?"
True story. Friends of ours 5 year boy, was very worried about monsters. Every night he'd make mom or dad check the closet and under the bed with a flashlight for monsters.
One night camping after dark they're going back to the tent through the dark woods, the boy is skipping ahead. His dad asks, "aren't you afraid of monsters in the woods?" The boy replies, "DAD! Everyone KNOWS monsters live under the bed!"
A little boy was doing his math homework. He said to himself, "Two plus five, that son of a bitch is seven. Three plus six, that son of a bitch is nine...." His mother heard what he was saying and gasped, "What are you doing?" The little boy answered, "I'm doing my math homework, Mom." "And this is how your teacher taught you to do it?" the mother asked. "Yes," he answered. Infuriated, the mother asked the teacher the next day, "What are you teaching my son in math?" The teacher replied, "Right now, we are learning addition." The mother asked, "And are you teaching them to say two plus two, that son of a bitch is four?" After the teacher stopped laughing, she answered, "What I taught them was, two plus two, THE SUM OF WHICH, is four."
One day the first grade teacher was reading the story of Chicken Little to her class. She came to the part of the story where Chicken Little tried to warn the farmer. She read, ".... and so Chicken Little went up to the farmer and said, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" The teacher paused then asked the class, "And what do you think that farmer said?" One little girl raised her hand and said, "I think he said: 'Holy Shit! A talking chicken!'" The teacher was unable to teach for the next 10 minutes.
Oh, and Jorline: we'll be in touch on the forum; the person who will be managing it (to be formally announced later) will be happy to hear you're interested in contributing! (We already talked about it a little bit.) I'll pass the info on tonight.
True story. Friends of ours 5 year boy, was very worried about monsters. Every night he'd make mom or dad check the closet and under the bed with a flashlight for monsters.
One night camping after dark they're going back to the tent through the dark woods, the boy is skipping ahead. His dad asks, "aren't you afraid of monsters in the woods?" The boy replies, "DAD! Everyone KNOWS monsters live under the bed!"
Oh, and Jorline: we'll be in touch on the forum; the person who will be managing it (to be formally announced later) will be happy to hear you're interested in contributing! (We already talked about it a little bit.) I'll pass the info on tonight.
Bare has a whole bunch of stick figure art that's actually really cool - a whole series of things - he's American Indian and he has a bunch of long-haired stick figures doing different things. I just love it.
Thanks CC, every now and then my brain kicks out a winner. Anyway speaking of brain kicking out. I just took my nightly medicine and I am off to bed. See you all later tomorrow.
Republican South Carolinian Senator Lindsay Graham publicly announced his support for climate legislation on Sunday, in an editorial co-authored with Massachusetts Democratic Sen. John Kerry.
"Our partnership represents a fresh attempt to find consensus that adheres to our core principles and leads to both a climate change solution and energy independence," wrote the two Senators in the New York Times on Sunday. "It begins now, not months from now — with a road to 60 votes in the Senate."
Graham's support is a major win for climate supporters, who are seeking Republican support for climate legislation. A climate bill passed the House in last June, but prospects for the legislation have dimmed amid the contentious health care debate.
I want to ruin the economy and jack up everyone's electric bills too.
ENDA: The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) offers Congress the opportunity to ensure workplace equality by protecting LGBT workers from employment discrimination.
Pakistan's army says commandos have caught the last militant who attacked its headquarters and took dozens of hostages. Spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas says the capture Sunday morning brings to an end a 22-hour standoff in the garrison city of Rawalpindi outside the capital.
He says the final militant who was caught is wounded.
Pakistani commandos raided a building inside the army headquarters early Sunday and freed 25 people held hostage.
Three captives and four hostage-takers were killed, as were two of the rescuers.
Pink- Mom's doing quite a bit better, but we're still gonna see her geriatrics doctor on Monday cause I'd like her to get checked out again and have some special questions to ask. It may not be a really pleasant meeting. Then on Wednesday I get my next cancer test and the results by phone on Wednesday! I felt like telling my oncologist I don't have time for all of that right now! Crap. Glad to hear you're doing well, though!
U.S. forces have withdrawn from an isolated base in eastern Afghanistan that insurgents attacked last week in one of the deadliest battles of the war for U.S. troops, the NATO-led coalition said Friday. The pullout from the Kamdesh outpost near the Pakistani border is likely to embolden insurgent fighters in the region. The Taliban swiftly claimed "victory" for forcing the coalition to leave and said they had raised their flag above the town.
The withdrawal, however, had been planned well before the Oct. 3 battle and is part of a wider strategy outlined by the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who has said for months he plans to shut down such isolated strongholds to focus on more heavily populated areas in an effort to protect civilians.
The firefight in Kamdesh left eight Americans, three Afghans and an estimated 100 insurgents dead, according to NATO. Insurgents fought their way into the base during the battle, a rare breach of security that underscored how thinly manned the post was. It was the largest loss of U.S. life in a single skirmish in more than a year.
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger will know within a month whether a $1.1 billion drop in revenue collections is part of a growing budget shortfall or an isolated event, his budget spokesman said.
Revenue in the three months ended Sept. 30 was 5.3 percent less than assumed in the $85 billion annual budget, state controller John Chiang reported yesterday. Income tax receipts led the gap, as unemployment reached 12.2 percent in August.
“The culprit here appears to be estimated quarterly personal income tax statements,” H.D. Palmer, the governor’s budget spokesman, said yesterday. “The numbers are cause for concern, but the issue now for us is to determine if this is a one-time event or whether it has more long-term implications.”
Hey Killian - from your link: "The two Senators are proposing a bill that includes "aggressive" reductions in greenhouse gas emissions, additional oil and gas exploration, and FUNDING FOR NUCLEAR POWER and advanced coal technologies known as carbon capture and sequestration. They'd also like legislation to include a border tax to protect domestic manufacturing from foreign competition and a price restrictions on the cost of carbon allowances created by a new cap and trade system.
"The message to those who have stalled for years is clear: killing a Senate bill is not success," they wrote. "Industry needs the certainty that comes with Congressional action."
Kerry, the lead sponsor of legislation that would cap greenhouse gas emissions, has been working closing with Graham, Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) and other Republicans senators to draft provisions that would INCREASE FUNDING FOR NUCLEAR POWER and expand domestic oil and gas development. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) has called for the United States to build 100 new nuclear plants by 2030. [emphasis realwest]
Well I don't know about Graham's going on the Lefts' bandwagon, but to my knowledge that's the first time Nuclear Power has been mentioned and it's being treated in the way it seems to me it should be: a CENTRAL component of "climate change" or whatever. Despite the talk about Rust Belt Senators maybe defecting from the Dem Party line, my feeling has been all along that they'll follow Reid's lead, like it or not. Now the pressure is on the Dems to fight with their enviroweenies over Nuclear. I think, realistically, that Graham made a decent deal to get nuclear power included.
LOS ANGELES — In a rare public rebuke of state government and policies delivered by a sitting judge, the chief justice of the California Supreme Court scathingly criticized the state’s reliance on the referendum process, arguing that it has “rendered our state government dysfunctional.”
In a speech Saturday before the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in Cambridge, Mass., the chief justice, Ronald M. George, denounced the widespread use of the referendum process to change state laws and constitutions. And he derided California as out of control, with voters deciding on everything from how parts of the state budget are spent to how farm animals are managed.
The state is unusual, he said, because it prohibits its Legislature from amending or repealing many types of laws without voter approval, essentially hamstringing that body — and the executive branch. more ...
And JCM, not only was that story misreported (what a surprise) but it made it seem as if the eight US casualties happened in isolation, when in reality it was in the same "running gun battle" where the Taliban lost 100 men. While I truly hate to see or hear of ANY American/Coalition forces deaths, there's no way the Taliban can live with a 100 to 8 casualty rate. That effectively means we inflicted a 25-2 kill ratio - the Taliban can't take that kind of punishment for long. And that's at a base where, as you said, we were already pulling out.
We kick ass, and took some causalities, that sucks, and media makes it out to be a mini Tet. Like we've discussed, it's not the fight that the problem.
It the will to win here, at home. And everyone in Afghanistan knows that. The enemy knows, and those who'd like some peace and quiet know it too, and their aren't going to risk everything by throwing their lot in with us, when it looks like we'er heading out the back door.
JCM - spot on. But, even with Obama's stupidity regarding Afghanistan, and "apparently" fading support at home for the war, I'm convinced that the American public doesn't understand what the hell is going on over there and, like Obama, seems to think there's a radical differece between the Taliban and Al-Quaeda. Seems like he forgot not only his campaign promises, but the fact that, shaky though it may be, Afghanistan is now a democracy. Second one created in an Islamic Nation under President Bush. Neither Al-Q nor the Taliban can allow for a democracy in Afghanistan, after Al-Q got the snot beat out of it in Iraq which seems to at least be holding it's own as a democratically governed Islamic State.
Actually JCM, the Obama "policy" really isn't yet. It's sorta like the problem Pink reported about Obama and gays: you just can't promise everything to EVERYONE and expect folks to not come around looking to cash in; the UAW did and look what happened to them: 55% ownership of Chrysler and industry analyists unamiously agreed the other day that they doubt that Chrysler will last another year - and GM doesn't appear to be far behind, either. So when the Gays come around, and large segments of that Dem "Big Tent" object, Obama's stuck for luck. Now he did say - again - that's he's gonna hunt down and wipe out Al-Quaeda but that some room should be made at the table for the Taliban. He. just. doesn't. get. it. Which may be why he seems to be in perpetual campaign mode - that he did really well; the actual GOVERNING has proven much more difficult to do.
Now he did say - again - that's he's gonna hunt down and wipe out Al-Quaeda but that some room should be made at the table for the Taliban. He. just. doesn't. get. it.
That the message that's gonna' make Afghan and damn near impossible slog.
For the Taliban to get the message and the Afghan people to get it, it has to be clear and unequivocal. We are there until they can stand on there own.
Ah ha! So you are still here! LOL! Your comment of "damn voters" (in response to the harsh criticism of the California government by the Chief Jusice of it's Supreme Court was truly spot on (although to be fair to him, California does seem to have referendums every year on a LOT of things that most states let their legislatures handle, don't you think)?!
I really don't know, Real ....I tend to read national reporting on California but don't generally dig deeper. I know they're in a lot of trouble fiscally (well ... and in other ways also) but I tend to ignore a lot of it.
Hey PBJ! How are you tonight? Just in time to discuss the story linked to by Pink Freud about 19 comments up - how the Chief Justice of your fair State's Supreme Court was dissing the way California chooses to govern itself, too many voter referendums and the like - do y'all think that's true?
Well Pink it's certainly easy to ignore a lot of it, because a lot of the news seems, well, repetetive. But in a galaxy far, far away..........! I was in a Policy Sci honors seminar and New York State was having a Constitutional Convention to change a number of things about the State's constitution and one of those things was the requirement that State Bonds issued to provide low cost housing required a referendum and 50% of the voters had to vote for that change. A REALLY BIG DEAL Black and Puerto Rican Congressman from NY, whom all the Dems in and outside NYS had compared favorably to Bobby Kennedy, spoke to our little seminar of 10 students and the Prof (who was also Chairman of the Poly Sci Department). He said that the "cover story" that the Dems were putting out was that voters couldn't really understand the economics of bond financing and the decision to authorize State Bonds ought to lay with the State Legislature and not be made by referendum. When I asked him what was so difficult to understand, he replied "Nothing, but the damn referendum has gone down to defeat -by two-thirds votes against for three straight years, so to get bond financing for low cost housing, they needed to have the financing approved by the legislature, not by referendum. My response was "So you're saying that because the voters won't vote for things you think they should, YOUR REPSONSE is to take away the voters right to vote on it?!? And, basically, he said yes. This idea that government knows better than average citizens how to spend the average citizens money is really nothing new; I think California has carried it to an extreme in terms of ALL the things that Californians are supposed to approve which in most other states would be handled by the State Legislatures.
"I have been drinking though. :;=)" Well PBJ the news has been SO BAD lately that I think most everyone ('cept us alcoholics that is) should drink a bit more! LOL!
CC - maybe it's been more dead than usual because SOME folks are still in total SHOCK that Obama was awarded the Nobel Prize in the 10th month of his Presidency OR - and more likely, because it's a 3 day weekend for a lot of folks!
Well y'all, I gotta get some sleep here, so I'm gonna go to bed. I do hope you all have a GREAT evening/early morning and that I get the chance to see you all down the road!
OMG PIMF!!!!! Los Angeles,. not Low Angeles. I need to get off the thread. LOL, though. I think they are in the SEIU. I know my daughter is but she's republican. OMG She hates them but she's a member.
In California, the referendum when passed become a part of the states constitution. That is one reason why prop 13 has had such durability.
Here in Washington State, the referendum when passed become the equivalent of law passed by the state legislature. The durability of the referenda passed in Washington State are near zero when compared to how they work in California.
I don't think there is an easy answer.
A better informed and more liberty minded electorate would be nice, but I fear that too many of them are only interested in getting free stuff.
It's the damndest thing. (Is that a word?) We've had some slow weekends before, but this one was crazy slow. I have to wonder if it WAS that Nobel business on Friday...just sort of got everyone on news saturation.
The news that President Barack Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize seems like a prize bit of satire, like Chicago getting the Olympics. “Are you laughing or crying,” wrote a reader to me. “Neither. I’m thinking about what this tells us about the world today,” I responded.
Then I checked over and over and over again on the Internet and called up several people just to make sure that this wasn’t a satire, that some new type of computer virus hadn’t infiltrated my software that would make fools of anyone credulous enough to believe this hoax.
And then I realized that it makes perfect sense.
It was considered a big joke when people quoted Woody Allen, the American comedian and film director, as saying, that showing up is eighty percent of success. (Allen says he doesn’t remember ever having said that.) With Obama the percentage is considerably higher.
But after all the mocking or cheering, what this shows is that we live in the world now not of realism but of imagination and wishful thinking. The Nobel Committee even said that it gave the prize not because Obama has done anything but that they support him. They want him to do something.
Read the whole thing!
(Author bio: Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. His latest books are The Israel-Arab Reader (seventh edition), The Long War for Freedom: The Arab Struggle for Democracy in the Middle East (Wiley), and The Truth About Syria (Palgrave-Macmillan).)
But after all the mocking or cheering, what this shows is that we live in the world now not of realism but of imagination and wishful thinking.
I wish Pink were still awake. I think she would find this so interesting.
There was a big self-esteem movement that started in schools when I was a kid, and I think it really messed with some people and their ability to judge their own strengths and weaknesses. I've had voice students like this - who honestly believed they were on the verge of stardom, but couldn't consistently match pitch during their first lesson. I didn't tell them they had unrealistic expectations - but it was pretty sad, to me, that somewhere they had gotten the idea that they didn't need to actually be good at something by putting the work in...they just wanted to be good at it, and seemed to convince themselves they were - with no grounding in reality.
It's great to encourage kids, but this sort of thing borders on lying to them.
Correspondence Committee said... How was it today, Pi? Were you guys busy? People are saying it was slow all over the place today...what about there?
A 3-day weekend in Las Vegas? Yep - it was busy! Good sales today.
Everyone's probably out at barbecues, games, and the like. They're probably also celebrating Columbus Day, especially because they know how much it pisses off liberals. ;)
Jack, during the Weekend Update, they joked about different people getting different awards - like kids winning pro athletic awards, a little girl winning Miss America - stuff like that.
They also had a "James Carville" who was GREAT at it...but of course, he made fun of Rush Limbaugh and Republicans. But the impression was pretty spot on.
Heh, eh, I liked what they did last week--but they failed to mention that he HAS done something while in office.....blow the future of generations to come.
I wish Pink were still awake. I think she would find this so interesting.
There was a big self-esteem movement that started in schools when I was a kid, and I think it really messed with some people and their ability to judge their own strengths and weaknesses. I've had voice students like this - who honestly believed they were on the verge of stardom, but couldn't consistently match pitch during their first lesson. I didn't tell them they had unrealistic expectations - but it was pretty sad, to me, that somewhere they had gotten the idea that they didn't need to actually be good at something by putting the work in...they just wanted to be good at it, and seemed to convince themselves they were - with no grounding in reality.
It's great to encourage kids, but this sort of thing borders on lying to them.
I've e-mailed it off to her, so she'll be sure to see it.
They also had a "James Carville" who was GREAT at it...but of course, he made fun of Rush Limbaugh and Republicans. But the impression was pretty spot on.
Any bets as to how long before CNN fact checks this skit?
littleoldlady: just a bit. been coughing up a storm the past couple of days. Walked the dog today, well took him to a field and tossed the ball. Tried calling him and could barely speak. Hope I don't lose my voice for work. :p
Detroit -- Thousands hoping to get applications for federal help on rent and utility bills turned Cobo Center into a chaotic scene today. They came by foot, wheelchair, bicycle and car. About six left by ambulance after tensions rose and people were trampled, according to a paramedic on the scene. One unfortunate soul got his car booted. Detroiters were trying to pick up 5,000 federal assistance applications from the city at Cobo because Detroit received nearly $15.2 million in federal dollars under the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program, which is for temporary financial assistance and housing services to individuals and families who are homeless, or who would be homeless without this help.
I've been hacking, too. Change of weather I think. (I HOPE.) My fall allergies (as opposed to my spring allergies and my summer allergies) have definitely kicked in... :-/
P2, I hope you feel better! I had something about two weeks ago that never got to the cough stage for me (though it did for others), but there was definitely something going around out here - took about a week to get over it.
Paladin, in regards to Detroit, read somewhere yesterday that the abandend sections of Detroit comprise enough area to plunk San Francisco into. There's a "city" that is no longer viable.
CC: I heard of a story about two years ago where you could buy houses for less then 100 dollars. Of course from what I have seen in pictures of the city you aren't getting much.
Don't forget, Detroit is where they do "Devils Night" on Halloween - burn down abandonded (mostly) houses. City fathers were really put out last year, big ads on TV and radio - "Please quit burning down houses, it costs the city money to send the trucks out."
FIRST!!!
ReplyDeleteHell there is only two of one...right Sas?
Forth!
ReplyDeletejust because.
LMAO,J.
ReplyDeletedagnabbit !!!
OK, I'm walkin' the pup now...
Damn fine graphic up there. I love it.
ReplyDeletereally really gone now.
/maybe
LOL...
ReplyDeletePIMF There is only two of us on.
*pokes head in* Anyone sneak a bottle past brandy?
ReplyDeleteOh! Thanks, Squatch! That's my first original retro graphic...I thought maybe I'd gone too far with the text. : )
ReplyDeleteHey 2P...It's been lonely this last half hour.
ReplyDeleteSas is out walking the dog or talking to a man about a horse.
If Andrew Sullivan's any barometer, it sounds like 0bama's appearance/speech tonight was one more big FAIL.
ReplyDeleteLive-Blogging The HRC Dinner
Good evening, everyone :-)
Either or, I was dog sitting this afternoon at a friends place.
ReplyDeletethought I would hop on her computer and kill time. Unfortunately her blog spot settings are on Hebrew, and I couldn't log in. Really bizarre, will have to ask her about that when I remember.
Black coffee? Sure, why not.
ReplyDeleteHi Phil, Jorline, CC! I like the graphic too, CC.
ReplyDelete/Phil, if you find that bottle, I'll have a nip
I like it CC.
ReplyDeleteHey I have some stories for y'all.
...crap, I need to cut these suckers...bbiaw
Hi JCM, I missed you there :-)
ReplyDeleteHow are you Pink?
ReplyDeleteBBIAM
Someone linked Toto on the last thread. Here's my favourite song by them.
ReplyDeleteDoing well, Jorline. I've about had it with 0bama's antics though ... that joker poster was spot on ...
ReplyDeleteThanks, you guys!
ReplyDeletePink,
ReplyDeleteKids, dinner, bath, bed......
Oh, Jorline...I was posting to you in the last thread but I ended up talking to myself. I was mentioning that I didn't know if you'd seen me begging you for a name for the food/garden forum (you're now my go-to name guy LOL), but if you did, I didn't see an answer, so I just grabbed the first thing that came into my head and designed the logo...anyway, it's already incorporated into the new place, and we're on our way with that. We hope you'll consider being a contributor there! (If you have time.)
ReplyDeleteAnd then I asked how you've been. : )
P2, I liked Toto! That's cool!
ReplyDeleteHey, JCM! Errr...Bulldog. : )
ReplyDeleteWindows 8 Details Emerge
ReplyDeleteThe version of Windows that succeeds Windows 7 will include a 128-bit architecture, according to an embarrassing leak from Microsoft's research and development team in the US.
Microsoft employee Robert Morgan appeared to detail the software giant's plans for Windows 8, and even Windows 9, on business networking site LinkedIn, where he listed his job as 'senior research and development'. His profile has now been removed from the main LinkedIn site, but is still viewable in Google's search cache.In it, he says he's "working in high security department for research and development involving strategic planning for medium and longterm projects."
He goes on to say his R&D projects include: "128-bit architecture compatibility with the Windows 8 kernel and Windows 9 project plan." He's also responsible for "forming relationships with major partners: Intel, AMD, HP and IBM."
/oops
He's getting reamed on his speech tonight:
ReplyDeleteWhere's the beef?
As for my take... Barack Obama just promised us that if he becomes president, he's going to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell, the Defense of Marriage Act, and get ENDA passed. It was a bit surreal. I'm sitting at a fundraiser for the No on 1 effort in Maine (that Obama didn't even bother to mention), and we were all just speechless (actually, hardly speechless - and I thought yelling at the TV was long since over). Obama repeated his campaign promises. That was it.
What's particularly disturbing is how President Obama contradicts himself, and his own administration, when talking to a gay crowd. The president claimed that he's for treating gay couples just like married couples. Then why is he against letting gay couples marry? The president claimed that it doesn't matter if we're at war and working on health care and lots of other important issues, we must forget ahead on gay civil rights. Then why is Obama's own administration putting out the talking point that they can't move ahead on gay rights until the wars are over, until health care is over, until Obama has less on his plate? Even General Jones last week said we can't do DADT because we're at war in Iraq and Afghanistan. But President Obama claimed today that precisely because we're at war it is important to lift the ban now.
Huh?
What did President Obama say new tonight? Absolutely nothing. What did the Human Rights Campaign get in exchange for once again giving our president cover for all of his broken promises to our community? Absolutely nothing.
I like HRC, I know a lot of people who work there, I've defended them when others in the community have been highly critical of them. But it is criminal that any gay rights organization would invite an embattled president to their dinner, giving him political cover for repeated broken promises and slaps in the face to our community (like the DOMA incest brief), and then get absolutely nothing in return. HRC's actions only feed the suspicions of critics who say that the organization is more interested in fundraisers than in advancing our rights.
All in all, the evening was a disappointment, but not unexpected. President Obama doesn't do controversy, and we, my friends, are controversy. So, the bad blood between this administration and the gay community will remain, and continue to worsen. It's unfortunate, but at some point you have to have enough dignity to say enough is enough. The Obama administration doesn't respect our community, and doesn't respect the seriousness of our cause. It's our job to hold them accountable. And we will.
Correspondence Committee said...
ReplyDeleteOh, Jorline...I was posting to you in the last thread but I ended up talking to myself. I was mentioning that I didn't know if you'd seen me begging you for a name for the food/garden forum (you're now my go-to name guy LOL), but if you did, I didn't see an answer, so I just grabbed the first thing that came into my head and designed the logo...anyway, it's already incorporated into the new place, and we're on our way with that. We hope you'll consider being a contributor there! (If you have time.)
And then I asked how you've been. : )
Sorry I missed the request CC. I would consider it an honor to help C2 at any time...just let me know how I can be of service.
You're doing a dynamite job with everything CC. I'm sure it looks great.
I'm well and you CC?
My daughter sent these stories to me.
ReplyDeleteQuite funny!
A kindergarten pupil told his teacher he'd found a cat, but it was dead.
"How do you know that the cat was dead?" she asked her pupil.
"Because I pissed in its ear and it didn't move," answered the child innocently.
"You did WHAT ? ! ?" the teacher exclaimed in surprise.
"You know,"explained the boy, "I leaned over and went 'Pssst!' and it didn't move."
A small boy is sent to bed by his father. Five minutes later....."Da-ad...."
ReplyDelete"What?"
"I'm thirsty. Can you bring drink of water?"
"No, You had your chance. Lights out."
Five minutes later: "Da-aaaad....."
"WHAT?"
"I'm THIRSTY. Can I have a drink of water??"
"I told you NO! If you ask again, I'll have to spank you!!"
Five minutes later......"Daaaa-aaaad....."
"WHAT!"
"When you come in to spank me, can you bring a drink of water?"
I'm good! I'm honing my artistic skillz a little bit, so that's fun (I am a singer, primarily - Bare and I have a side business, an LLC, doing web design...this is a big project, and it's good for me); been very busy.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear all is well. (Cute story! LOL)
When I was six months pregnant with my third child, my three year old came into the room when I was just getting ready to get into the shower. She said, "Mommy, you are getting fat!"
ReplyDeleteI replied, "Yes, honey, remember Mommy has a baby growing in her tummy."
"I know," she replied, but what's growing in your butt?"
Jorline,
ReplyDeleteTrue story. Friends of ours 5 year boy, was very worried about monsters. Every night he'd make mom or dad check the closet and under the bed with a flashlight for monsters.
One night camping after dark they're going back to the tent through the dark woods, the boy is skipping ahead. His dad asks, "aren't you afraid of monsters in the woods?" The boy replies, "DAD! Everyone KNOWS monsters live under the bed!"
A little boy was doing his math homework. He said to himself,
ReplyDelete"Two plus five, that son of a bitch is seven. Three plus six, that son of a bitch is nine...."
His mother heard what he was saying and gasped, "What are you doing?"
The little boy answered, "I'm doing my math homework, Mom."
"And this is how your teacher taught you to do it?" the mother asked.
"Yes," he answered.
Infuriated, the mother asked the teacher the next day, "What are you teaching my son in math?"
The teacher replied, "Right now, we are learning addition."
The mother asked, "And are you teaching them to say two plus two, that son of a bitch is four?"
After the teacher stopped laughing, she answered,
"What I taught them was, two plus two, THE SUM OF WHICH, is four."
One day the first grade teacher was reading the story of Chicken Little to her class. She came to the part of the story where Chicken Little tried
ReplyDeleteto warn the farmer. She read, ".... and so Chicken Little went up to the farmer and said, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"
The teacher paused then asked the class,
"And what do you think that farmer said?"
One little girl raised her hand and said,
"I think he said: 'Holy Shit! A talking chicken!'"
The teacher was unable to teach for the next 10 minutes.
Ah kids. Almost miss having them. ;)
ReplyDelete/then I look at my life style and don't :D
Oh, and Jorline: we'll be in touch on the forum; the person who will be managing it (to be formally announced later) will be happy to hear you're interested in contributing! (We already talked about it a little bit.) I'll pass the info on tonight.
ReplyDeleteToo funny, Jorline!
ReplyDeleteJCM said...
ReplyDeleteJorline,
True story. Friends of ours 5 year boy, was very worried about monsters. Every night he'd make mom or dad check the closet and under the bed with a flashlight for monsters.
One night camping after dark they're going back to the tent through the dark woods, the boy is skipping ahead. His dad asks, "aren't you afraid of monsters in the woods?" The boy replies, "DAD! Everyone KNOWS monsters live under the bed!"
That's funny JCM...reminds me of Monsters Inc.
Correspondence Committee said...
ReplyDeleteOh, and Jorline: we'll be in touch on the forum; the person who will be managing it (to be formally announced later) will be happy to hear you're interested in contributing! (We already talked about it a little bit.) I'll pass the info on tonight.
Thanks CC.
P2, what's shaking? I was over at your blog a couple of days and saw you got a new header! Cool!
ReplyDeletePIMF: days AGO.
ReplyDeleteThank YOU, Jorline...I'm excited about it!
ReplyDeleteI really love those kind of storied Pink.
ReplyDeleteRemember "Kids Say The Darndest Things"?
CC: you mean the graphic? Something I whipped up in MS paint that I actually doodled. Thought it would work.
ReplyDeleteRemember "Kids Say The Darndest Things"?
ReplyDeleteFunny you mention that, Jorline ...that's where I took off to. :-)
Yeah, P2...thought it was cool.
ReplyDeleteBare has a whole bunch of stick figure art that's actually really cool - a whole series of things - he's American Indian and he has a bunch of long-haired stick figures doing different things. I just love it.
Thanks CC, every now and then my brain kicks out a winner. Anyway speaking of brain kicking out. I just took my nightly medicine and I am off to bed. See you all later tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteHey good eveni, uh, morning y'all! Just stopped by for a little while to say Hi to y'all!
ReplyDeleteSo how is everyone doing today?
Hi Realwest! Doing well, how are you? How's Mom?
ReplyDeleteHey Pink - uh, I haven't been following the news on Obama and Gays that much, but what is ENDA ?
ReplyDeleteLindsay Graham signs on to climate bill
ReplyDeleteRepublican South Carolinian Senator Lindsay Graham publicly announced his support for climate legislation on Sunday, in an editorial co-authored with Massachusetts Democratic Sen. John Kerry.
"Our partnership represents a fresh attempt to find consensus that adheres to our core principles and leads to both a climate change solution and energy independence," wrote the two Senators in the New York Times on Sunday. "It begins now, not months from now — with a road to 60 votes in the Senate."
Graham's support is a major win for climate supporters, who are seeking Republican support for climate legislation. A climate bill passed the House in last June, but prospects for the legislation have dimmed amid the contentious health care debate.
I want to ruin the economy and jack up everyone's electric bills too.
/pathetic
ENDA: The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) offers Congress the opportunity to ensure workplace equality by protecting LGBT workers from employment discrimination.
ReplyDeletePakistan nabs last attacker, ends siege of army HQ
ReplyDeletePakistan's army says commandos have caught the last militant who attacked its headquarters and took dozens of hostages.
Spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas says the capture Sunday morning brings to an end a 22-hour standoff in the garrison city of Rawalpindi outside the capital.
He says the final militant who was caught is wounded.
Pakistani commandos raided a building inside the army headquarters early Sunday and freed 25 people held hostage.
Three captives and four hostage-takers were killed, as were two of the rescuers.
Pink- Mom's doing quite a bit better, but we're still gonna see her geriatrics doctor on Monday cause I'd like her to get checked out again and have some special questions to ask.
ReplyDeleteIt may not be a really pleasant meeting.
Then on Wednesday I get my next cancer test and the results by phone on Wednesday!
I felt like telling my oncologist I don't have time for all of that right now!
Crap.
Glad to hear you're doing well, though!
PIMF results by phone on Thursday.
ReplyDeleteSheesh!
US forces leave isolated Afghan base after attack
ReplyDeleteU.S. forces have withdrawn from an isolated base in eastern Afghanistan that insurgents attacked last week in one of the deadliest battles of the war for U.S. troops, the NATO-led coalition said Friday.
The pullout from the Kamdesh outpost near the Pakistani border is likely to embolden insurgent fighters in the region. The Taliban swiftly claimed "victory" for forcing the coalition to leave and said they had raised their flag above the town.
The withdrawal, however, had been planned well before the Oct. 3 battle and is part of a wider strategy outlined by the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who has said for months he plans to shut down such isolated strongholds to focus on more heavily populated areas in an effort to protect civilians.
The firefight in Kamdesh left eight Americans, three Afghans and an estimated 100 insurgents dead, according to NATO. Insurgents fought their way into the base during the battle, a rare breach of security that underscored how thinly manned the post was. It was the largest loss of U.S. life in a single skirmish in more than a year.
Best wishes for good news, Real, for both you and Mom.
ReplyDeleteDitto that, Pink.
ReplyDeletePink Freud said...
ReplyDeleteBest wishes for good news, Real, for both you and Mom.
Correspondence Committee said...
Ditto that, Pink.
Amen, Amen, Amen!
California Budget Is Already in the Red 10 Weeks After Passage
ReplyDeleteCalifornia Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger will know within a month whether a $1.1 billion drop in revenue collections is part of a growing budget shortfall or an isolated event, his budget spokesman said.
Revenue in the three months ended Sept. 30 was 5.3 percent less than assumed in the $85 billion annual budget, state controller John Chiang reported yesterday. Income tax receipts led the gap, as unemployment reached 12.2 percent in August.
“The culprit here appears to be estimated quarterly personal income tax statements,” H.D. Palmer, the governor’s budget spokesman, said yesterday. “The numbers are cause for concern, but the issue now for us is to determine if this is a one-time event or whether it has more long-term implications.”
Hey Killian - from your link:
ReplyDelete"The two Senators are proposing a bill that includes "aggressive" reductions in greenhouse gas emissions, additional oil and gas exploration, and FUNDING FOR NUCLEAR POWER and advanced coal technologies known as carbon capture and sequestration. They'd also like legislation to include a border tax to protect domestic manufacturing from foreign competition and a price restrictions on the cost of carbon allowances created by a new cap and trade system.
"The message to those who have stalled for years is clear: killing a Senate bill is not success," they wrote. "Industry needs the certainty that comes with Congressional action."
Kerry, the lead sponsor of legislation that would cap greenhouse gas emissions, has been working closing with Graham, Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) and other Republicans senators to draft provisions that would INCREASE FUNDING FOR NUCLEAR POWER and expand domestic oil and gas development. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) has called for the United States to build 100 new nuclear plants by 2030. [emphasis realwest]
Well I don't know about Graham's going on the Lefts' bandwagon, but to my knowledge that's the first time Nuclear Power has been mentioned and it's being treated in the way it seems to me it should be: a CENTRAL component of "climate change" or whatever. Despite the talk about Rust Belt Senators maybe defecting from the Dem Party line, my feeling has been all along that they'll follow Reid's lead, like it or not.
Now the pressure is on the Dems to fight with their enviroweenies over Nuclear.
I think, realistically, that Graham made a decent deal to get nuclear power included.
Semi-related to your above article, JCM:
ReplyDeleteTop Judge Calls Calif. Government ‘Dysfunctional’
LOS ANGELES — In a rare public rebuke of state government and policies delivered by a sitting judge, the chief justice of the California Supreme Court scathingly criticized the state’s reliance on the referendum process, arguing that it has “rendered our state government dysfunctional.”
In a speech Saturday before the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in Cambridge, Mass., the chief justice, Ronald M. George, denounced the widespread use of the referendum process to change state laws and constitutions. And he derided California as out of control, with voters deciding on everything from how parts of the state budget are spent to how farm animals are managed.
The state is unusual, he said, because it prohibits its Legislature from amending or repealing many types of laws without voter approval, essentially hamstringing that body — and the executive branch. more ...
/damned voters!
Hey Pink, CC and JCM, thank you all very much!
ReplyDeleteAnd JCM, not only was that story misreported (what a surprise) but it made it seem as if the eight US casualties happened in isolation, when in reality it was in the same "running gun battle" where the Taliban lost 100 men. While I truly hate to see or hear of ANY American/Coalition forces deaths, there's no way the Taliban can live with a 100 to 8 casualty rate. That effectively means we inflicted a 25-2 kill ratio - the Taliban can't take that kind of punishment for long. And that's at a base where, as you said, we were already pulling out.
Realwest said...
ReplyDeleteVietnam syndrome in the media.
We kick ass, and took some causalities, that sucks, and media makes it out to be a mini Tet. Like we've discussed, it's not the fight that the problem.
It the will to win here, at home. And everyone in Afghanistan knows that. The enemy knows, and those who'd like some peace and quiet know it too, and their aren't going to risk everything by throwing their lot in with us, when it looks like we'er heading out the back door.
Hmmm - what did I say to kill the thread?!?
ReplyDeleteJCM - spot on. But, even with Obama's stupidity regarding Afghanistan, and "apparently" fading support at home for the war, I'm convinced that the American public doesn't understand what the hell is going on over there and, like Obama, seems to think there's a radical differece between the Taliban and Al-Quaeda. Seems like he forgot not only his campaign promises, but the fact that, shaky though it may be, Afghanistan is now a democracy. Second one created in an Islamic Nation under President Bush. Neither Al-Q nor the Taliban can allow for a democracy in Afghanistan, after Al-Q got the snot beat out of it in Iraq which seems to at least be holding it's own as a democratically governed Islamic State.
ReplyDeleteIt's been like that all afternoon and evening, Real. Not you. :-)
ReplyDeleteOh, thanks Pink! I appreciate that! LOL!
ReplyDeleteIt's been like that all afternoon and evening, Real. Not you. :-)
ReplyDeleteDamn,
*snif*
*snif*
That's it, I'm gettng some new cologne.
Real,
ReplyDeleteYep, Iraq is turning out pretty well, still some rough patches.
Afghanistan is gonna' look a little different. The main thing is to provide sufficient stability and security to have the tribes look to Kabul.
Right now the Obama Policy does anything BUT that.
Actually JCM, the Obama "policy" really isn't yet.
ReplyDeleteIt's sorta like the problem Pink reported about Obama and gays: you just can't promise everything to EVERYONE and expect folks to not come around looking to cash in; the UAW did and look what happened to them: 55% ownership of Chrysler and industry analyists unamiously agreed the other day that they doubt that Chrysler will last another year - and GM doesn't appear to be far behind, either. So when the Gays come around, and large segments of that Dem "Big Tent" object, Obama's stuck for luck. Now he did say - again - that's he's gonna hunt down and wipe out Al-Quaeda but that some room should be made at the table for the Taliban. He. just. doesn't. get. it.
Which may be why he seems to be in perpetual campaign mode - that he did really well; the actual GOVERNING has proven much more difficult to do.
Real,
ReplyDeleteNow he did say - again - that's he's gonna hunt down and wipe out Al-Quaeda but that some room should be made at the table for the Taliban. He. just. doesn't. get. it.
That the message that's gonna' make Afghan and damn near impossible slog.
For the Taliban to get the message and the Afghan people to get it, it has to be clear and unequivocal. We are there until they can stand on there own.
Real, and everyone else,
ReplyDeleteIt's been a long day, I'm gonna bail.
See ya' all in the morning!
Hey - have a good night JCM - sleep well my friend!
ReplyDeleteHey Pink, you still here?
ReplyDeleteGoodnight JCM. Sleep well.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are still up? Unbelievable. Nite JCM
ReplyDeleteI am, Real ...
ReplyDeleteHi PBJ ... how was your dinner?
ReplyDeleteAh ha! So you are still here! LOL!
ReplyDeleteYour comment of "damn voters" (in response to the harsh criticism of the California government by the Chief Jusice of it's Supreme Court was truly spot on (although to be fair to him, California does seem to have referendums every year on a LOT of things that most states let their legislatures handle, don't you think)?!
We had a great dinner Pink! Thanks for asking. I have to say it's "dead" all over town, not just the internet.
ReplyDeleteI really don't know, Real ....I tend to read national reporting on California but don't generally dig deeper. I know they're in a lot of trouble fiscally (well ... and in other ways also) but I tend to ignore a lot of it.
ReplyDeleteHey PBJ! How are you tonight? Just in time to discuss the story linked to by Pink Freud about 19 comments up - how the Chief Justice of your fair State's Supreme Court was dissing the way California chooses to govern itself, too many voter referendums and the like - do y'all think that's true?
ReplyDeleteI think there's only so much "good news" we can handle, PBJ ...and I sense we're peaking on our tolerance. I know I am.
ReplyDeleteRW, I just kinda took a quick peek at that but I think the voter's rule, no matter what state it is.
ReplyDeleteI have been drinking though. :;=)
Well Pink it's certainly easy to ignore a lot of it, because a lot of the news seems, well, repetetive.
ReplyDeleteBut in a galaxy far, far away..........! I was in a Policy Sci honors seminar and New York State was having a Constitutional Convention to change a number of things about the State's constitution and one of those things was the requirement that State Bonds issued to provide low cost housing required a referendum and 50% of the voters had to vote for that change. A REALLY BIG DEAL Black and Puerto Rican Congressman from NY, whom all the Dems in and outside NYS had compared favorably to Bobby Kennedy, spoke to our little seminar of 10 students and the Prof (who was also Chairman of the Poly Sci Department). He said that the "cover story" that the Dems were putting out was that voters couldn't really understand the economics of bond financing and the decision to authorize State Bonds ought to lay with the State Legislature and not be made by referendum.
When I asked him what was so difficult to understand, he replied "Nothing, but the damn referendum has gone down to defeat -by two-thirds votes against for three straight years, so to get bond financing for low cost housing, they needed to have the financing approved by the legislature, not by referendum.
My response was "So you're saying that because the voters won't vote for things you think they should, YOUR REPSONSE is to take away the voters right to vote on it?!?
And, basically, he said yes.
This idea that government knows better than average citizens how to spend the average citizens money is really nothing new; I think California has carried it to an extreme in terms of ALL the things that Californians are supposed to approve which in most other states would be handled by the State Legislatures.
We had a great dinner Pink! Thanks for asking. I have to say it's "dead" all over town, not just the internet.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness! Today has been really weird - just a ghost town! LOL
"I have been drinking though. :;=)"
ReplyDeleteWell PBJ the news has been SO BAD lately that I think most everyone ('cept us alcoholics that is) should drink a bit more! LOL!
CC - maybe it's been more dead than usual because SOME folks are still in total SHOCK that Obama was awarded the Nobel Prize in the 10th month of his Presidency OR - and more likely,
ReplyDeletebecause it's a 3 day weekend for a lot of folks!
I guess it's Columbus Day weekend. Maybe that's why? LOL
ReplyDeleteThe only folks I know that are getting it off are County of Low Angeles employees (glad my daughter went to Reno/Tahoe) employees. I am jealous.
Well y'all, I gotta get some sleep here, so I'm gonna go to bed.
ReplyDeleteI do hope you all have a GREAT evening/early morning and that I get the chance to see you all down the road!
Good night, all.
OMG PIMF!!!!! Los Angeles,. not Low Angeles. I need to get off the thread. LOL, though. I think they are in the SEIU. I know my daughter is but she's republican. OMG She hates them but she's a member.
ReplyDelete....slinking out the door.
Weet dreams, RW!
ReplyDeleteIn California, the referendum when passed become a part of the states constitution. That is one reason why prop 13 has had such durability.
ReplyDeleteHere in Washington State, the referendum when passed become the equivalent of law passed by the state legislature. The durability of the referenda passed in Washington State are near zero when compared to how they work in California.
I don't think there is an easy answer.
A better informed and more liberty minded electorate would be nice, but I fear that too many of them are only interested in getting free stuff.
Oh, r/w, that could be...and now you're leaving too!!! If you feel a tug on your ankle, it's me grabbing your pants leg as you try to split. : )
ReplyDeleteOkay...I guess you can go. Good night, my friend! See you for some football tomorrow!
A better informed and more liberty minded electorate would be nice, but I fear that too many of them are only interested in getting free stuff.
ReplyDeleteThat will be the death of us as a nation, I'm afraid.
I should delete my own silly posts but I'll leave them up for a laugh.
ReplyDeleteG'nite Syrah and all of you wonderful folks!
Good night PBJ! Don't delete! : )
ReplyDeleteWow, where is everybody?
ReplyDeleteIt's been this way all day, P2. Ghost. Town. It's like everyone left and didn't tell us. LOL
ReplyDeleteyeah seems that way. Appears that way all over as well.
ReplyDeleteIt's the damndest thing. (Is that a word?) We've had some slow weekends before, but this one was crazy slow. I have to wonder if it WAS that Nobel business on Friday...just sort of got everyone on news saturation.
ReplyDeletemight have been. People also might be busy as well. I know we are in the midst of a long weekend up here in Canada.
ReplyDeleteWow! I've never seen Chris Muir go off like this, but I like it!
ReplyDeleteHoly crap Pi Man, Chris really let loose and pulled no punches. Good summation of the past 10 months.
ReplyDeleteObama Wins Nobel Peace Prize--What More Do You Need to Know to Understand Today's World?
ReplyDeleteBy Barry Rubin
The news that President Barack Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize seems like a prize bit of satire, like Chicago getting the Olympics. “Are you laughing or crying,” wrote a reader to me. “Neither. I’m thinking about what this tells us about the world today,” I responded.
Then I checked over and over and over again on the Internet and called up several people just to make sure that this wasn’t a satire, that some new type of computer virus hadn’t infiltrated my software that would make fools of anyone credulous enough to believe this hoax.
And then I realized that it makes perfect sense.
It was considered a big joke when people quoted Woody Allen, the American comedian and film director, as saying, that showing up is eighty percent of success. (Allen says he doesn’t remember ever having said that.) With Obama the percentage is considerably higher.
But after all the mocking or cheering, what this shows is that we live in the world now not of realism but of imagination and wishful thinking. The Nobel Committee even said that it gave the prize not because Obama has done anything but that they support him. They want him to do something.
Read the whole thing!
(Author bio: Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. His latest books are The Israel-Arab Reader (seventh edition), The Long War for Freedom: The Arab Struggle for Democracy in the Middle East (Wiley), and The Truth About Syria (Palgrave-Macmillan).)
Well, I'm reading that! Good evening, Mr. Pi! P2 and I appreciate the company! : )
ReplyDeleteGlad to be here - especially after a long day of work!
ReplyDeleteSNL is making fun of the Nobel thing tonight, too...of course.
ReplyDeleteHow was it today, Pi? Were you guys busy? People are saying it was slow all over the place today...what about there?
ReplyDeleteI shouldn't even be here. :p
ReplyDeleteTook two tylenol 3's around midnight and went to bed. Up an hour and a half later coughing so hard I couldn't sleep.
It's going to be a great bloody day.
But after all the mocking or cheering, what this shows is that we live in the world now not of realism but of imagination and wishful thinking.
ReplyDeleteI wish Pink were still awake. I think she would find this so interesting.
There was a big self-esteem movement that started in schools when I was a kid, and I think it really messed with some people and their ability to judge their own strengths and weaknesses. I've had voice students like this - who honestly believed they were on the verge of stardom, but couldn't consistently match pitch during their first lesson. I didn't tell them they had unrealistic expectations - but it was pretty sad, to me, that somewhere they had gotten the idea that they didn't need to actually be good at something by putting the work in...they just wanted to be good at it, and seemed to convince themselves they were - with no grounding in reality.
It's great to encourage kids, but this sort of thing borders on lying to them.
What did SNL do?
ReplyDeleteCorrespondence Committee said...
ReplyDeleteHow was it today, Pi? Were you guys busy? People are saying it was slow all over the place today...what about there?
A 3-day weekend in Las Vegas? Yep - it was busy! Good sales today.
Everyone's probably out at barbecues, games, and the like. They're probably also celebrating Columbus Day, especially because they know how much it pisses off liberals.
;)
Jack said...
ReplyDeleteWhat did SNL do?
It stopped being funny about 20 years ago. Why do you ask?
P2, those are prescription in this country (you probably knew that). I wish they weren't - they'll knock a headache out cold.
ReplyDeleteHaving a cough like that sucks. You must be exhausted though - those Tylenol 3's will also make you really sleepy.
Jack, during the Weekend Update, they joked about different people getting different awards - like kids winning pro athletic awards, a little girl winning Miss America - stuff like that.
ReplyDeleteThey also had a "James Carville" who was GREAT at it...but of course, he made fun of Rush Limbaugh and Republicans. But the impression was pretty spot on.
CC: yeah, I think I might try and go to bed shortly. I hope I can stay asleep this time.
ReplyDeleteHeh, eh, I liked what they did last week--but they failed to mention that he HAS done something while in office.....blow the future of generations to come.
ReplyDeleteCorrespondence Committee said...
ReplyDeleteI wish Pink were still awake. I think she would find this so interesting.
There was a big self-esteem movement that started in schools when I was a kid, and I think it really messed with some people and their ability to judge their own strengths and weaknesses. I've had voice students like this - who honestly believed they were on the verge of stardom, but couldn't consistently match pitch during their first lesson. I didn't tell them they had unrealistic expectations - but it was pretty sad, to me, that somewhere they had gotten the idea that they didn't need to actually be good at something by putting the work in...they just wanted to be good at it, and seemed to convince themselves they were - with no grounding in reality.
It's great to encourage kids, but this sort of thing borders on lying to them.
I've e-mailed it off to her, so she'll be sure to see it.
...because there's bugger down here on Earth
ReplyDeleteCorrespondence Committee said...
ReplyDeleteThey also had a "James Carville" who was GREAT at it...but of course, he made fun of Rush Limbaugh and Republicans. But the impression was pretty spot on.
Any bets as to how long before CNN fact checks this skit?
Good morning CC, Pi, Phil...
ReplyDeletelittleoldlady said...
ReplyDelete...because there's bugger down here on Earth
Always look on the bright side of life...
*ahem!*
ReplyDeleteLol :), Jack - didn't see ya come-in, good mornin.
ReplyDeleteenuff! ;-)
ReplyDeleteMorning littleoldlady, enuff. Welcome to super slow weekend threads.
ReplyDeletelittleoldlady said...
ReplyDelete*ahem!*
Yeah, enuff! She IS standing up!
;)
Oh, this is cute.
ReplyDeleteNational Obamacare Opt-Out Registry.
Hahaha!
Pi Guy,
ReplyDeleteI would have said it had he said, "Oh, lol! I didn't see you there."
;-)
/damn. I'm SO predicable anymore...
Phil! :-)
ReplyDeleteUnder the weather? :-(
littleoldlady said...
ReplyDeletePi Guy,
I would have said it had he said, "Oh, lol! I didn't see you there."
;-)
/damn. I'm SO predicable anymore...
And that's bad because...?
littleoldlady: just a bit. been coughing up a storm the past couple of days. Walked the dog today, well took him to a field and tossed the ball. Tried calling him and could barely speak. Hope I don't lose my voice for work. :p
ReplyDeletePi Guy,
ReplyDeleteOnly a mathematician would think that's a GOOD thing! ;-)
I've heard this news story before, but the pictures here really drive the point home:
ReplyDeleteChaos at Cobo: Detroiters turn out for federal help
Detroit -- Thousands hoping to get applications for federal help on rent and utility bills turned Cobo Center into a chaotic scene today.
They came by foot, wheelchair, bicycle and car. About six left by ambulance after tensions rose and people were trampled, according to a paramedic on the scene. One unfortunate soul got his car booted.
Detroiters were trying to pick up 5,000 federal assistance applications from the city at Cobo because Detroit received nearly $15.2 million in federal dollars under the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program, which is for temporary financial assistance and housing services to individuals and families who are homeless, or who would be homeless without this help.
Phil,
ReplyDeleteYeah. Makes it hard to yell at people. ;-)
I've been hacking, too. Change of weather I think. (I HOPE.) My fall allergies (as opposed to my spring allergies and my summer allergies) have definitely kicked in... :-/
Detroit is dead, it hasn't finished with the death spasms yet.
ReplyDeletePi Guy, that's great. I wonder if she'd do some analysis of her own on that same topic. She would really do a terrific job on that - I know she would.
ReplyDeleteLooks like scenes from that WalMart trampling. When was that? Last year?
ReplyDelete'Morning, CC! :-)
ReplyDeleteenuff, hi!! Good to see you!!
ReplyDeleteP2, I hope you feel better! I had something about two weeks ago that never got to the cough stage for me (though it did for others), but there was definitely something going around out here - took about a week to get over it.
lol, I see you got "outed", and on national TV no less. Like the hair but you did seem a little miffed.
ReplyDelete/
Good morning, littleyounglady!!!!
ReplyDeleteHerro, Panhandler. : )
ReplyDeleteMornin', nuff!
ReplyDeletelittleoldlady said...
ReplyDeleteLooks like scenes from that WalMart trampling. When was that? Last year?
I think it was the day after Thanksgiving 2008.
CC - If the next line starts "I ruv yu rong time", I'm outta here ---
ReplyDelete/
Any bets as to how long before CNN fact checks this skit?
ReplyDeleteThe skit about Rush? Here's my wager, Pi. : )
I got outed? How did I miss my fifteen minutes of fame?!
ReplyDeletePanhandler! :-)
LOL, no, Panhandler...don't worry. Hahaha.
ReplyDeletelol - go to Gateway Pundit and hit the Obama Nobel SNL skit - you a star!
ReplyDeleteLOL's real name is Alice?
ReplyDelete;)
Harumph! Yet another reason not to like that man.
ReplyDeleteHe took my Powerball! grrrrrrrrr!
Alice certainly gave him the look *I* would have!
ReplyDeletePaladin, in regards to Detroit, read somewhere yesterday that the abandend sections of Detroit comprise enough area to plunk San Francisco into. There's a "city" that is no longer viable.
ReplyDeleteCourse too, if "Alice" had been wearing a blue gown I'd have given them credit for artistry.
ReplyDeleteWhat does real estate go for in Detroit these days? I heard somewhere that it was dirt cheap...I mean like unheard of housing prices dirt cheap.
ReplyDeleteCC: I heard of a story about two years ago where you could buy houses for less then 100 dollars. Of course from what I have seen in pictures of the city you aren't getting much.
ReplyDeleteI heard something like that too, P2! It was unbelievable. And yeah, I can only imagine what the houses are like.
ReplyDeleteBuy a bunch of houses in a row. Knock 'em down. Put up a liquor store.
ReplyDeleteFruitcup, y'all! ↑
Don't forget, Detroit is where they do "Devils Night" on Halloween - burn down abandonded (mostly) houses. City fathers were really put out last year, big ads on TV and radio - "Please quit burning down houses, it costs the city money to send the trucks out."
ReplyDeleteOh man, that's incredible. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteCC, are you still here? I'm turning off the lights and locking the door...
ReplyDelete