Saturday, October 10, 2009

Saturday Morning Bulldog Edition


Gunmen Attack Pakistan's Army Headquarters

Pakistani military officials say six gunmen attacked the army's headquarters near the capital in Rawalpindi Saturday. Authorities say four of the attackers were killed. Security forces are searching for the other two who managed to escape. At least six troops died in the assault.


Fidel Castro lauds Nobel prize for Obama

Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro lauded the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to U.S. President Barack Obama, saying on Saturday it was "a positive measure" that was more a criticism of past U.S. policies than a recognition of Obama's accomplishments.


Turkey, Armenia eye peace deal after century-old enmity

Turkey and Armenia plan to sign a deal to end a century of hostility stemming from the World War One mass killing of Armenians by Ottoman forces although it could fall prey to nationalists further down the line.

UPDATE:
HT - Realwest

Gunmen hold up to 15 hostages in Pakistan army HQ

Heavily armed militants were holding between 10 and 15 soldiers hostage inside army headquarters Saturday after they attacked the complex in an audacious assault on Pakistan's most powerful institution.

82 comments:

  1. Hi there JCM!! Hope you're doing well this morning and that you get the chance to check your e-mail soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real,

    Morning, reply on the way....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re-post from the last thread:

    PALADINPHIL - hmmmmm - racking cough, sunny sky, very dry air, huh?
    Well SUCK IT UP and be a REAL MAN - go buy a humidifier!
    Young pups don't know nuttin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes sir, realwest sir. :)

    /sucks back hot mint/green tea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, NO! PaladinPhil please don't tell me ya got the flu or a bad cold or something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know real, just seems to be dogging me this past week. Bad enough to make me miserable, but not bad enough to knock me on my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if it ain't better by say Tuesday or so, if I were you I'd go see a doctor about it.
    Course I'm such a scaredy cat I see the doctor if I get a hang nail and there's always that Mark Twain adage: " With the advances made in modern medicine, you can take potions and pills that will defeat the common cold in 14 days! Or, if you forgoe modern medical nostrums and let it run it's course, the common cold will probably disappear in about two weeks!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. JCM -received and replied - can ya tell I'm tired or what?!?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Repost from the last thread -
    Realwest said..
    Over the years of the threads I've intuited that you are close to my age. "Young sir" is more a jocularity than an honoriffic. JOCULARITY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't I just finish my waffle?

    "It's always about you isn't it."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clinton to push Russia on Iran sanctions

    US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton departed for Europe late Friday on a five day trip in which Iran, Afghanistan and arms control are expected to be subjects of discussion.


    During her visit to Moscow, Clinton plans to press for a strong commitment from Russia for tough new sanctions against Iran

    ReplyDelete
  12. Panhandler - repost from last thread:

    "Panhandler - well listen Father Mulcahy you Sky Pilot you - we've all moved over to the new thread, not much jocularity there and we could use your help!"

    And I'm still waiting for that help! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. PaladinPhil, sounds like a sinus infection (which I happen to have, too, at the moment, I think). See a doc, get antibiotics... otherwise it'll take weeks to shake it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. With the advances made in modern medicine, you can take potions and pills that will defeat the common cold in 14 days! Or, if you forgoe modern medical nostrums and let it run it's course, the common cold will probably disappear in about two weeks!"

    Heh, I love that adage. :)

    I sometimes take store bought stuff if colds get really bad, about once every two years....

    ReplyDelete
  15. JCM said...
    to press for a strong commitment - Maybe she'll deliver another button, the last one went over so well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Panhandler, I'm sure HIll will strike a very tough deal, through tough diplomacy, very toughly.... something like, the Russians make a statement of "concern" in the UN General Assembly, in exchange for our scrapping the rest of our missile defense.

    ReplyDelete
  17. JCM...

    During her visit to Moscow, Clinton plans to press for a strong commitment from Russia for tough new sanctions against Iran

    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha *coughwheeze* ha ha ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  18. *ugh* Antibiotics, great. Just as if I could afford another hit from the pocket book. :p

    /can't take any of the cheap ones.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey PP

    Aren't you in Canada? I thought everything up there was free? You know.... free health care for all...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well PaladinPhil, please keep in mind that although O.R. is - I hear - a truly WONDERFUL LAWYER - he doesn't have a medical degree. I still think you should give it a few days - drink lots of fluids (and yes, Gatorade - keeps electrolites in balance and chicken soup for the hot liquid and nutrients) DO HELP! And if you still aren't better - or God Forbid you get worse, call the doctor!
    BUT remember, O.R. is a World Traveler and is on airplanes probably a lot more often than you are, so his experiences may vary with milegage! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Truck Monkey - yes he's got FREE health care.
    Unless he needs EXPENSIVE antibiotics.
    How are you doing today ?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Phil, if it's only been a few days, I agree with Dr. Realwest's prescription. And totally concur on OVERHYDRATING... put a liter bottle of gatorade in front of you in the morning, with a pledge to finish it by lunchtime; then another in the afternoon, with a pledge to finish by dinnertime. Minimum. It really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Real... or 6po0

    I am doing fine today. I hope that you are doing well. Getting ready for the kids football game today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. TM: doc's and hospitals free, medication not so much.

    rw, OR: Understood, been drinking at least 3 liters of water per day lately. Plus hot beverages and soups.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OR in DA HOUSE!

    Bloody hell it's good to see you here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good morning everyone.

    Um, sinus infections. Hubby just got thru a doozy. Initial antibiotic regimen didn't touch it. Bring on the steroids. A little better, but not much. Start the antibiotics again at double the dosage. That did it, but it took a solid month.

    Ok, I wanted to show you something that I haven't seen discussed anywhere else - something I think is very strange.

    The Kerry Lugar Bill.

    This supplies aid to Pakistan, some for infrastructure, some for fighting terrorism, etc. But the oddest part seems to be that Washington is trying to tell the Paks how to organize their military vis a vis the civilian side of the gov't - and that Pakistan must report back to the U.S. every six months or so. In other words, Pakistan becomes a client state of the U.S. in return for the money.

    One condition in particular that deeply offends the Pakistani military requires Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to report to Congress every six months on whether the Pakistani government is exercising "effective civilian control over the military." The secretary must assess, among other things, the extent to which the government has oversight over the military budget, the military chain of command, strategic guidance and planning, and the promotion of senior military officers. For the Pakistani general staff, that's like waving a red rag in front of a bull.

    Like it or not, the military in Pakistan has always played an important role, whether overtly or covertly, in the country's political decision-making process. While the elected civilian leaders need to eventually have the upper hand over the military, it is naïve to believe that this will occur within a few months, and even more so if the effort is imposed by Washington. That was already demonstrated last year, when President Asif Zardari announced that he was going to bring the army's powerful Inter-Services Intelligence under civilian control. He was forced to reverse that decision the following day because of Gen. Kiyani's opposition to the move.

    Zardari's very strong public support for the Kerry-Lugar bill reinforces the perception among Pakistanis that their president simply does what the Americans tell him to do, and that he is willing to concede part of Pakistan's sovereignty in exchange for the badly needed funds.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm doing ok today Truck Monkey, thanks for asking!
    But I've given these chores of mine LONG ENOUGH and they seem resistant to doing themselves and so I gotta go now!
    Sigh.


    Anyway y'all, I hope you all have a GREAT day and that I get the chance to see you all down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  28. OR,

    Tracked down a 120 minute IPA last night.

    The initial over the tongue taste was far too sweet. I prefer the 90 minute....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Off to make breakfast for the kids I know about.
    Then Football! I love my fall weekends!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Trixie! What's shakin', bacon?

    JCM-- I think the 120 is something of an acquired taste... I acquired mine about two seconds after I took my first sip!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Via Winds of Change, a French poll (by center-right newspaper Le Figaro) shows 70% of French don't think the (Ig)Nobel Prize for Peas was deserved: linky.

    Comment #3 at Winds of Change deserves quoting: "#3 from phantommut | October 9, 2009 6:35 PM | Reply
    mark, I'm not so sure; it depends on what percentage of the truly independent vote views it as either a bribe (to be "peaceful") or as an instance of hubris rewarded.

    Now, it really isn't Obama's fault that the Nobel Committee gave him the award (if he had a better track record when it came to international "fixes" I might not have made that statement) but how he accepts it matters, and I'm of the opinion that the "Call to Action" theme is exactly wrong.

    The award certainly can't hurt him with the believers. With the agnostics I think it will be a pretty big negative, and I think it will be a millstone around his neck in 2012: "We need a President of the United States, not a President of the World. Vote xxxx - let's focus on America."

    Needs work, but the theme will have traction. "

    ReplyDelete
  32. {{Atilla}} Morning, toots. Sorry about Hubby's battles with sinisitis - that can't be fun, poor thang.

    Miss Molly behaving her large self?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Occasional Reader said...

    JCM-- I think the 120 is something of an acquired taste... I acquired mine about two seconds after I took my first sip!


    No doubt! My taste however runs to the bitter, not sweet. The after taste was good, but the sweetness was too cloying for me. It didn't click for me.

    But that's the fun of experimenting with different brews.

    ReplyDelete
  34. OR

    Trixie! What's shakin', bacon?

    Not much - just waiting for me groceries to be delivered before I can take Lil Miss out to terrorize the 'hood, then on to some chores *ick*, then I'll do some cooking. A nice soup, some sesame bagels (a double batch this time so I can bring a dozen to my lonely, elderly neighbor lady)and prolly a baked pasta dish or two. I might even - if I have time - make some roast chook and dumplings, just because. :D

    What's going on at your neck of the woods?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hypothesizing on the Iran-Russia-U.S. Triangle
    The Russian Existential Counter

    The Russians see themselves facing an existential threat from the Americans. Whether Washington agrees with Biden or not, this is the stated American view of Russia, and by itself it poses an existential threat to Russia. The Russians need an existential counterthreat — and for the United States, that threat relates to oil. If the Russians could seriously threaten the supply of oil through the Strait of Hormuz, the United States would lose its relatively risk-free position in the FSU.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Finally Free
    I'm of the opinion that the "Call to Action" theme is exactly wrong.

    I will give the Nobel Committee credit for seeing Obama as he really is - someone not only willing to subjugate our sovereignty but eager to do so - as opposed to our media which portrayed him as moderate.

    Miss Trixie, Molly is well. The steroids have meant some weight gain, but she still retains the title of Bratzilla!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good morning C2. That waffle looks mmm-mmm-good. Has O been awarded the '09 Cy Young yet?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beer talk? This early? I knew I liked this place.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Groceries are here and they've been delivered by a new hunky fella. :D

    Rrowr.

    /not a cougar ... :P

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm not ignoring y'all, I'm just busy packing...

    ReplyDelete
  41. JCM

    Did you see this? It's an interview with former KGB agent Konstantin Preobrazhenskiy.

    Ayatollah Putin

    Yes, of course, there is no guarantee that Iran will never hurt Russia. But it has always been characteristic for the Kremlin to arm its potential enemies: Nazi Germany in the 1930s and China in the 1950s. Now Russia is arming China again, and is arming Iran, though Iran has never been Russia’s friend. The Soviet historical model has been reproduced. That is why it is especially hard to oppose it now.



    The Kremlin has always tried to deceive and manipulate America in the Iranian issue. In 1943, prior to the Tehran Conference, Moscow successfully mounted a worldwide misinformation campaign, in which it suggested that Hitler wanted to kill President Franklin Roosevelt in Iran. The Soviets then persuaded Roosevelt to stay in the Soviet Embassy in Tehran. This enabled Soviet intelligence to monitor every word of the private talks of the unsuspecting American delegation. Stalin's efforts to manipulate the President led to America's general misunderstanding of the criminal nature of Stalin's regime.



    And there are recent examples of course. Take in 2007 when Putin tried to deceive Robert Gates. Recently, Gates recounted a meeting he had that year Putin, who was Russian President at the time:



    “When I first met with President Putin and talked about this, he basically dismissed the idea that the Iranians would have a missile that would have the range to reach much of Western Europe and much of Russia before 2020 or so. And he showed me a map that his intelligence guys had prepared. And I told him he needed a new intelligence service.”



    Gates did not even suspect that Putin was deceiving him and that Russian intelligence guys had forged this piece of misinformation especially for him. And that Putin hardly needed a new intelligence service, as the current one has fulfilled his task very well.



    But Gates reported that, more recently, the Russians have changed their assessment of the Iranian threat. “The Russians have come back to us and acknowledged that we were right in terms of the nearness of the Iranian missile threat and that they had been wrong,” he said.



    But I am afraid that this is just a new stage of the Russian game with America. Soon they may say they have changed their minds once again. Remember the sad history of the American base in Kirgizia?



    Let me ask this: is it really possible to allow that Putin really did not know something about the Iranian nuclear program -- in which Russia itself has been involved? That the mammoth GRU, military intelligence, did not know the truth? Or that the Directorate “T”, with its 1000 people’s staff, managing scientific and technical intelligence in the SVR, the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service, was unable to make a correct evaluation of Iranian missiles program?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Off to terrorize the 'hood - BBL. Have fun packing, OR.

    ReplyDelete
  43. AtillaTheHoney said...

    Did you see this? It's an interview with former KGB agent Konstantin Preobrazhenskiy.


    Can you see anyone in the Admin up to the games the Russians play?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Good morning all.

    RW, you have mail.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hey y'all - decided I've done enough chores for today - I AM RETIRED, YA KNOW?! LOL
    Anyway here's an update to one of the stories above, don't know if it's been posted yet or not:

    GUNMEN HOLD UP TO 15 HOSTAGES IN PAKISTAN ARMY HQ

    RAWALPINDI, Pakistan - Pakistan's army says up to five militants are holding hostage between 10 and 15 security officers inside its headquarters.

    Army spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas says no army or intelligence leaders are among those being held Saturday.

    The militants slipped into the complex after they and others attacked it, sparking a gunbattle that killed four assailants and six soldiers.

    THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

    RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (AP) - Militants held several security officers hostage inside an intelligence wing of the army headquarters Saturday after they and others attacked the complex in an audacious assault on Pakistan's most powerful institution.

    The attack, which left at least 10 people dead, was the third major militant strike in Pakistan in a week and came as the government was planning an imminent offensive against Islamist militants in their strongholds in the rugged mountains along the border with Afghanistan.

    It showed that the militants retain the ability to strike at the very heart of Pakistan's security apparatus despite recent military operations against their forces and the killing of Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud in a CIA drone attack in August
    The whereabouts of military chief Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and ISI chief Lt. Gen. Ahmed Shujaa Pasha were not known. Separate army statements said Kayani attended meetings at the headquarters and at the president's office in nearby Islamabad during the day.

    The attack began shortly before noon when the gunmen, dressed in camouflage military uniforms and wielding assault rifles and grenades, drove in a white van up to the army compound and opened fire, army spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas and a witness said.

    "There was fierce firing, and then there was a blast," said Khan Bahadur, a shuttle van driver who was standing outside the gate of the compound. "Soldiers were running here and there," he said. "The firing continued for about a half-hour. There was smoke everywhere. Then there was a break, and then firing again."

    After a 45-minute gunfight, four of the attackers were killed, said Abbas, who told the private Geo news television channel the assault over and the situation "under full control."

    But more than an hour later, gunshots rang out from the compound, and Abbas confirmed that gunmen had eluded security forces and slipped into the headquarters compound in Rawalpindi. The city is filled with security checkpoints and police roadblocks.

    http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20091010/4ad014d0_3421_1334520091010-2112157720

    ReplyDelete
  46. JCM
    Can you see anyone in the Admin up to the games the Russians play?

    I'm assuming that is a rhetorical question.

    ReplyDelete
  47. JCM: Mashkirovia is not a Russian game, it's a way of life. Not many westerners are up to that level of deceit and double think.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Can you see anyone in the Admin up to the games the Russians play?

    Vershbow seems to be a really competent guy.
    How much rope he has is anyones guess.
    BMD announcement in Ulraine seemed to get the Reds off of their game.
    Besides him, don't see a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
  49. PaladinPhil said...
    JCM: Mashkirovia is not a Russian game, it's a way of life.


    Too true, "I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma..."

    ReplyDelete
  50. good morning everybody!

    Realwest said something about jocularity earlier...., that's a fun word to say - JOCULARITY

    ReplyDelete
  51. gotta go make myself useful - thanks for the vid, squatch

    ReplyDelete
  52. Obama is just aimlessly shooting at shit right now.
    Trying to cause issues with Ukraine and Georgia while at the same time asking for help on Iran.
    "we can make headaches for you as you make Iran a headache for us" stuff.
    It's a game he personally can't win, he needs people versed in Russian paranoiathink. Whether he gets down and dirty (seems to me improbable), we're looking at Iran getting the big B. Plain and simple. IMHO, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hey Jorline - received and replied my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Errands,a whiny dog,and mini-me wants to go to Pizza Hut.

    Life intrudes.... BBL.

    ReplyDelete
  55. BBL - its lunch time!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hey O.R. - what is it your packing and why? (sorry haven't been around much lately OUT here, just involved some IN C2!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. realwest, I'm packing for a business trip to Paraguay and Argentina... pretty much a repeat of the trip I did three weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Meanwhile, the Venezuelan Chavista Finance Minister claims "millions of Americans are living in tents."

    Well okaaaaaay then.

    :::Backing away slowly:::

    http://devilsexcrement.com/

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hey Centaur - if y'all are still around - clicking on your name takes us to a blog which apparently doesn't exist!!!
    Is this true or is Blogspot just putting us on?!?

    ReplyDelete
  60. BBL

    OR, have a safe trip and hook up with us from the southern hemisphere.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Occasional Reader - it's Adrainna Lima again, isn't it? Huh?
    Oh well, it could be worse, I've hear that Buenos Aires is a truly beautiful city!
    Paraguay I don't know much about.
    When do y'all have to leave? And how long do you think you'll be gone?

    ReplyDelete
  62. and hook up with us from the southern hemisphere.

    Will do, but keep in mind that my posts will swirl down the toilet in the opposite direction.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Good morning all, what's the hot topic today? Did Obama win Miss Universe overnight or something?

    ReplyDelete
  64. real, I depart in a few hours, return Friday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Remember OR, Adriana pushed the restraining order back to 100 feet. ;)

    /Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Did Obama win Miss Universe overnight or something?

    That would explain his overtures to Hugo Chavez... he wanted access to the Venezuelan "Miss" academy.

    (So do I, but for different reasons.)

    ReplyDelete
  67. O.R. - a few hours?!? Holy smokes! Well listen my friend, please have a SAFE, swift and successful trip and I sure hope y'all can and will stay in touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  68. University of Florida students hold an Anti-Che demonstration.

    Nice.

    Source: http://babalublog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  69. Occasional Reader said...

    Panhandler, I'm sure HIll will strike a very tough deal, through tough diplomacy, very toughly.... something like, the Russians make a statement of "concern" in the UN General Assembly, in exchange for our scrapping the rest of our missile defense.


    Exactly what I was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  70. experiencedtraveller said...
    University of Florida students hold an Anti-Che demonstration.

    Nice.

    Source: http://babalublog.com/


    And Che still rots in hell!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hey Experiencedtraveller - just loved that link and the site itself! Among other gems I picked out of it are these:

    Our Founding Editor has been scouring news sites and RSS feeds all morning and has come up with these breaking news stories that followed hard on the heels of the Nobel Peace prize announcement.

    BREAKING NEWS: Nobel Laureate Barrack Obama wins VH1's "Ray Coniff Singers Lifetime Achivement Award."

    JUST IN: Homer Society honors Barrack Obama with illustrious "I Am Adonis" award.

    BREAKING: National Rifle Association honors Barrack Obama's Nobel achievement by awarding him Charlton hestons original Ben Hur Chariot.

    THIS JUST IN: French bestow Barrack Obama with Fecund Fromage Honors!

    BREAKING NEWS: Barrack Obama accepts coveted Cirque du Soleil Golden Trapeze Award.

    BREAKING NEWS: Obama anounces he will use Nobel Prize money to help all Americans: Sn-cones and elephant ears all around!

    THIS JUST IN: The International Olympic Committee has just awarded Barrack Obama the Gold medal to all events in the 2016 Rio Olympics!

    BREAKING NEWS: Barrack Obama wins prestigious Joan Crawford "No More Wire Hangers" Award

    BREAKING NEWS: Barack Obama wins the Captain Kangaroo Rollo the Hippo achievement award.

    BREAKING NEWS: Barrack Obama wins Julia Child Golden Cupcake Award!

    BREAKING NEWS: Barrack Obama wins the Charles Rangel American Taxpayer Award.

    ROTFLMAO!! THANKS A LOT FOR THAT LINK!!

    ReplyDelete
  72. Hey JCM - that blender and light sticks was a riot, but the Che thing was, just......WRONG!
    FUNNY AS HELL, but just wrong! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Realwest said...
    Hey JCM - that blender and light sticks was a riot, but the Che thing was, just......WRONG!
    FUNNY AS HELL, but just wrong! LOL.


    I know, I know....... but I just can't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Hey RW,

    Yeah Babalublog.com is an interesting resource especially for all things 'Cuban'.

    ReplyDelete

By submitting your comments, you agree that you alone are responsible for their content. We reserve the right to remove comments we deem offensive or inappropriate, at our discretion. Disparaging remarks about other online communities, or their members, should be made elsewhere if you are so inclined. Finally, comments made below will be subject to public viewing.