Thursday, October 8, 2009

Today in History: October 8th





Highlights of this day in history: Deadly fires scorch Chicago and other parts of Upper Midwest; Communist Poland bans labor groups; Alexander Solzhenitsyn wins Nobel Prize for Literature; Don Larsen pitches 'perfect' World Series game.

Other notable October 8th events include:

1582 – Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.

1860 – Telegraph line between Los Angeles and San Francisco opens.

1967 – Guerrilla leader Che Guevara and his men are captured in Bolivia.

1969 – The opening rally of the Days of Rage occurs, organized by the Weather Underground in Chicago, Illinois.

2001 – U.S. President George W. Bush announces the establishment of the Office of Homeland Security.

2005 – Martha Stewart begins her prison sentence after being convicted of securities fraud, obstruction of justice, and conspiracy in the ImClone stock trading case.

158 comments:

  1. 1967 – Guerrilla leader Che Guevara and his men are captured in Bolivia.

    Now that's worth celebrating right there. And soon after he achieved room temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is a big day for BDS and Bill Ayers, too.

    Wow ... is this a cursed date?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucius,
    Gorebull warming is the biggest crock ever. Which is what those poor folks already know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1969 – The opening rally of the Days of Rage occurs, community organized by the Weather Underground in Chicago, Illinois.


    UPDATED

    ReplyDelete
  5. Careful VT, you will be pilloried as a denier. :)

    /I am just skeptical about the A of AGW.
    //and a little skeptical about GW at the moment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And we all know "deniers" are also "Holocaust deniers". I won't soon forget the day that connection was made to me. Imagine my surprise.

    This twisted "logic" brought to you by the letters "A", "G", and "W".

    /Al Gore Warming

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no doubt that the Earth has warmed slightly as it has periodically time and again.

    I have no doubt that pollution is bad, and that energy conservation is good.

    But I doubt their dogmatic religion, their economic theories, and their sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once the polar bear carcasses all rot, the mountains of Canada will become tropical paradises.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And Violet will have beach front property./

    Seriously, they need to look at 100,000 year trends. There is nothing unusual happening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been enjoying these references to the Gregorian Calendar.

    The main architects of the new calendar was Christopher Clavius, S.J.,(1537/38-1612) a Jesuit mathematician and astronomer.

    Clavius was initially a supporter of the Ptolemaic cosmology, and opposed the Copernican system, but primarily on account of its (admittedly) flawed mechanics. He did, however, recognize similar problems with Ptolemy's systerm. Beginning in 1587, he began regular correspondence with Galileo, and the two met on at least two occasions. Galileo sent Clavius copies of his books as they came out, and Clavius studied them carefully. Shortly before his death, Clavius had an opportunity to use of one of Galileo's telescopes -- in the last part of his last book he wrote the following:

    I do not want to hide from the reader that not long ago a certain instrument was brought from Belgium. It has the form of a long tube in the bases of which are set two glasses, or rather lenses, by which objects far away from us appear very much closer . . . than the things themselves are. This instrument shows many more stars in the firmament than can be seen in any way without it, especially in the Pleiades, around the nebulas of Cancer and Orion, in the Milky Way, and other places . . . and when the Moon is a crescent or half full, it appears so remarkably fractured and rough that I cannot marvel enough that there is such unevenness in the lunar body. Consult the reliable little book by Galileo Galilei, printed at Venice in 1610 and called Sidereus Nuncius, which describes various observations of the stars first made by him.

    Far from the least important of the things seen with this instrument is that Venus receives its light from the Sun as does the Moon, so that sometimes it appears to be more like a crescent, sometimes less, according to its distance from the Sun. At Rome I have observed this, in the presence of others, more than once. Saturn has joined to it two smaller stars, one on the east, the other on the west.[1] Finally Jupiter has four roving stars, which vary their places in a remarkable way both among themselves and with respect to Jupiter--as Galileo Galilei carefully and accurately describes.

    Since things are thus, astronomers ought to consider how the celestial orbs may be arranged in order to save these phenomena.


    The implication is clear: Clavius abandoned the Ptolemaic system based on the evidence provided by the telescope. Note how he praises Galileo's work. Given that Clavius was leading teacher of mathematics at the Jesuit college in Rome, these passages do much to undermine the notion that the church was universally opposed to Galileo and science in general.

    Clavius's complete works, published around the time of his death, are available in digital format at Notre Dame.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm off. I know you've heard that before.

    /

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of the people born today:

    1895 – Juan Perón, President of Argentina
    1910 – Gus Hall, head of the U.S. Communist Party
    1920 – Frank Herbert, American writer (we were discussing "Dune" yesterday)
    1939 – Paul Hogan, Australian actor
    1941 – Jesse Jackson, American clergyman and civil rights activist
    1943 – Chevy Chase, American comedian and actor
    1946 – Dennis Kucinich, American politician
    1970 - Matt Damon, American actor

    ReplyDelete
  13. JTK -- so what you're saying is that today is an unfavorable day to be born. Nut cases galore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was the impression I got, yeah.

    Sigourney Weaver was also born today, but I didn't want to put her on the list with them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Today is crazy leftist day! Grand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Morning All -- This day brings more work and less time for posts here. I'm sure the day will come when the (ret) on nic will actually mean something, but not today.

    Hope all have a good day and hope to get back here later.

    Top

    ReplyDelete
  17. .dnarG !yad tsitfel yzarc si yadoT

    !yadruttabnoom s'tI

    ReplyDelete
  18. ‮poT ,mudnurobrac non imitigellI

    ReplyDelete
  19. James- lol!
    A great day to hide yer wallet.

    Heard on Fox this morning how even pacemakers, breast pumps and canes will be taxed to pay for healthcare.
    Democrat: "Look, they've got money, let's take it!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. But I thought the Jooos were the racist ones?

    -"MK Dr. Michael Ben-Ari (National Union) wrote to Attorney General Menachem Mazuz, asking that an investigation be opened against Hatib for incitement to racism and violence. Hatib, interviewed on Army Radio, said, “The Al-Aksa Mosque and the Temple Mount are not holy to Jews and they are forbidden from praying there... It cannot be that an Ethiopian policeman, a Negro, will stop a Moslem from praying at the Al-Aksa Mosque.”

    ReplyDelete
  21. Democrat: "Look, they've got money, let's take it!"

    "We keep taking their money, but somehow they keep finding more! Time for a VAT!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Evul Princess Pelosi and her VAT tax. Will be fun trying to explain that to the people who were told they wouldn't 'see one penny in additional taxes'.

    ReplyDelete
  23. http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5278/wab.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  24. The last President who promised "No new taxes" never got a second term. BHO beware.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anybody who thinks the economy is improving is fooling themselves. Attended a career fair yesterday, looking for full time engineer hires for spring 2010. Was swamped with last year's grads and experienced hires, some of them my age or older. Plus, yesterday 1000 people just lost their jobs in my area from two big companies going out. It was a brutal day. Only about 150 booths of employers where there would usually be 250.

    ReplyDelete
  26. f$%^ the Timesonline.uk. Can't believe that doom and gloom bullshit in that article up at Drudge. Heh, he linked to it like five different ways. Seriously, the media has decided America shouldn't win this fight. Hey media ... f#$%# you too! oh, morning all ... sup? Hey LOL, how early does turn have to get up to be served fruitcup?

    ReplyDelete
  27. The company I work for does, yes. One of my 'assignments' is to head up a recruiting team for my alma matter.

    ReplyDelete
  28. turn needs to be up by 5 am EST and have served turn's self by 8 am EST. Otherwise turn has to wait for the coffee thread that shows up...what? around 11 am EST. After that there are no refreshments until the Pub opens at 8 pm EST.

    /we're going to have to remedy that
    //we can't go that long without FOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Will be fun trying to explain that to the people who were told they wouldn't 'see one penny in additional taxes'.


    Oh, but that's the beauty of the VAT -- people won't see it. Just like all the other sales and excise taxes they're talking about. They're being brutally honest -- you won't "see one penny in additional taxes." They will be there, but you won't be able to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Turn, I think that since there is no leadership backing the troops, they are bound to feel a bit discouraged. This must be like a nightmare for some of them. The leader of the country can't decide if he wants to keep going or even if he wants to win or what 'win' looks like. How can they achieve their mission?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I thought VAT would be added on like a sales tax? Wouldn't they have to show how much of a price was tax?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Morning {LOL}. Whoa, no way turn can get up at 2:00 AM west coast time for fruitcup in the morning. I'll settle for the coffee ...

    Hey VT, what is your alma matter?

    ReplyDelete
  33. VAT doesn't show up as a separate line item on your receipt like sales tax. It's rolled into the actual price (kind of like all the taxes on gasoline). You see the high prices going up, but you don't realize that it's the government taking a bigger bite -- you blame the evil corporations for the high prices.

    ReplyDelete
  34. VT,

    Wouldn't they have to show how much of a price was tax?

    Typically they are built into the price, unlike sales tax.

    BTW, I believe that the VAT would also apply to buying a house.

    /because the housing industry is doing SO WELL, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That's why European politicians love VAT taxes and Democrats here have been lusting over them... Because they're hidden. Most people won't realize how much of what they're spending on groceries and everything else is going to the government.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I didn't know that Captain, what a sneaky thing that is ...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Muslim group moves to ban burka

    Canadian lobbyists say garments are 'medieval' and 'misogynist' and they are urging Ottawa to take action

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/muslim-group-moves-to-ban-burka/article1316126/

    Middle Eastern garments designed to cover a woman's face are “medieval” and “misogynist” symbols of extremism with no basis in Islam, said a Canadian Muslim lobby group as it urged Ottawa to ban the burka and the niqab.

    The Muslim Canadian Congress Wednesday called on the federal government to prohibit the two garments in order to prevent women from covering their faces in public – a practice the group said has no place in a society that supports gender equality.

    “To cover your face is to conceal your identity,” congress spokeswoman Farzana Hassan said in a telephone interview, describing the issue as a matter of public safety, since concealing one's identity is a common practice for criminals.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Drexel.

    I didn't realize VAT was so sneaky. Damn democraps!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Socialists are nothing if not sneaky.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I didn't know that Captain, what a sneaky thing that is ...

    And you can slowly crank up the VAT as high as you want, and people will just think it's inflation. Like a [rubber] frog in boiling water, they'll just get used to the higher prices.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Obama should stop using the Central Committees newest 5 Year Plan and go back to what works....but, as Larry Kudlow notes, he won't and we are screwed.

    The Mundell-Laffer Solution


    Team Obama is in economic trouble on two fronts right now: The dollar could be headed toward its demise, while the jobs and unemployment numbers have gotten worse. (The unemployment rate is up to 9.8 percent as of the September report released last week.) And there's a simple policy mix the White House could adopt to fix this. It could enact the Mundell-Laffer supply-side approach of a steady King Dollar for price stability and low marginal tax rates to spur jobs and economic growth.

    Columbia professor and Nobel Prize winner Robert Mundell and Reagan advisor Arthur Laffer put this formula to work nearly 30 years ago, and it launched a massive low-inflation, bull-market prosperity. Of course, I am a supply-side fossil. I am a dinosaur and a relic of the past. But I still believe this approach could work again, even if it's not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hamas bans women on motorcycles in Gaza Strip

    Couldn't they wear burqinis when they drive their Harleys? Or is it because Harleys, a.k.a. "hogs", aren't halal?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Time to get working on the home-school stuff.

    Uh, oh -- that must mean that I'm an ignorant dangerous anti-science ultra-fundamentalist anti-social moss-backed reactionary!

    ReplyDelete
  44. And you can slowly crank up the VAT as high as you want, and people will just think it's inflation. Like a [rubber] frog in boiling water, they'll just get used to the higher prices.

    This needs to become a big issue.
    Just another example of the BS "noone under 250K will see a tax increase".

    ReplyDelete
  45. Socialists are nothing if not sneaky.

    Whenever they tell the truth about what they want and what they plan to do, there's a massive public outcry. That's why they work with deceit, incrementalism, and misdirection.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Like socialized healthcare, the VAT was also proposed and shot down during the Clinton years. But bad Democratic ideas never die, they always come back.

    ReplyDelete
  47. VT, you have a good point. How can these troops be the tip of the spear without knowing o has their backs? No wonder they are disillusioned ... I know it must be a difficult decision about putting in additional troops but it is a no brainer to me. The thing that has o tied all up in a knot is purely political, which is a crying shame IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Violet Tiger,

    Are you from the area? My nephew just started at Drexel in engineering, and a couple of my cousins graduated from there.

    My kid considered it for about 5 minutes, during the 10 minutes she was considering fashion design as a major.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Lucius,

    that must mean that I'm an ignorant dangerous anti-science ultra-fundamentalist anti-social moss-backed reactionary!

    ENJOY! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Couldn't they wear burqinis when they drive their Harleys? Or is it because Harleys, a.k.a. "hogs", aren't halal?

    No, I think they were tired of seeing the women doing endos and wheelies down Gaza St.
    Or they're just whack.
    You decide.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. lol, When we have some private email thingie going you can tell me about your nephew and what he is up to. Drexel is a great school, imho.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Like a [rubber] frog in boiling water

    Beck, is that you?

    Seriously, I had no idea VAT wouldn't show up like regular tax. In a way I think the idea of VAT would work if the government didn't get greedy. The more you spend the more you pay, seems fair to me. Where am I going wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  53. VAT (Wiki) -- Look at the VAT rates in some countries... OVER TWENTY PERCENT. Sales tax in my state is just 6%.

    Plus, you know that the sales tax won't go away if the VAT gets passed, so we'll be paying BOTH. The VAT to the feds, the sales tax to the states.

    ReplyDelete
  54. In a way I think the idea of VAT would work if the government didn't get greedy.

    But what are the odds of that?

    ReplyDelete
  55. Drexel?, hey turnspawn2 is getting his MBA at Drexel here in Sac. I assume they are affiliated ... ?

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wealth redistribution sucks!
    As if we couldn't spend our money on US if they would let us.
    I hope people wise up soon or we will descend into mediocrity.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I think there is a branch out there, so yes, they are related.

    ReplyDelete
  58. The more you spend the more you pay, seems fair to me. Where am I going wrong?

    A consumption-based tax would be more fair than an income tax. But the Democrats aren't going to replace one with the other. As noted above, you'll be paying the one on top of the other. You'll just pay more and more and more. And that's not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Look at the VAT rates in some countries... OVER TWENTY PERCENT. Sales tax in my state is just 6%.

    Think of how much consumer goods will sell with 25% of the cost being taxes.

    KILL THE ECONOMY! KILL THE ECONOMY!

    /Eddie murphy mode, again...

    ReplyDelete
  60. Whenever they tell the truth about what they want and what they plan to do, there's a massive public outcry. That's why they work with deceit, incrementalism, and misdirection

    Man I would have hit the heart button on that one Captain ... right on. Hey LOL, is Running Bare going to add a feature like that, so many good posts could go down the rabbit hole ...

    ReplyDelete
  61. You won't be able to afford to treat us to fruit cup anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  62. Sales tax is already a "double tax", which at least USED TO be illegal...

    ReplyDelete
  63. Jordan's king to Haaretz: Without two states, there is no future

    Without the daily terrorism committed against Israel practically every day since its' inception, there may have been 2 states already, King Minus. Hows about them apples ?

    ReplyDelete
  64. Baby, I can't afford it now! :-(

    /3rd mortgage

    WHY do you think I'm running for President?! I need the money, and one needs neither experience nor expertise to do that job.

    /obviously

    ReplyDelete
  65. WHY do you think I'm running for President?!

    Interns?

    No, wait, that was MY reason for running...

    ReplyDelete
  66. LoL for President ?

    That sounds cool.
    I want Bar Czar.

    ReplyDelete
  67. turn,

    I'm not sure what features we're going to have up and running...at least at the beginning. Bare is just trying to get us UP AND RUNNING at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  68. doh, that would be the number one son not the number two. Yeah, the class is taught just about ten blocks from where he lives. It's expensive, he took out a lot of student loans and I hope it pays back for him.

    ReplyDelete
  69. HA. One of my cousins was an intern at the White House during the Clinton years.

    /I have a lot of cousins... ;-)

    Squatch! :-)

    YOU GOT IT!

    ReplyDelete
  70. ok, the flaw in my thinking was that one would replace the other. doh ... government = greed

    ReplyDelete
  71. Can I be Vice President?

    I'd love to be in charge of all the vice...

    ReplyDelete
  72. Drexel is extraordinarily expensive, even in comparison to other schools in Philadelphia where a lot of schools are...not cheap!

    /she said, head exploding over tuition...

    ReplyDelete
  73. Good Morning, All!

    Speaking of taxes, even with a 25% increase in our sales tax, MA revenues are down over $200 million and we still face a $1 BILLION dollar budget shortfall. Nice going, Deval.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Captain Kirk,

    I was waiting for you to volunteer!

    /but can you take being second fiddle after being a captain?

    ReplyDelete
  75. This is loppyd, BTW. I'm too lazy to sign out of one gmail to another. :D

    ReplyDelete
  76. Drexel is expensive, but the kids get the coop experience (priceless) and most of them get JOBS when they graduate because of it. Worth the money imo.

    ReplyDelete
  77. LOL, my son messed up on the student loan thinking the reserve money he didn't spend per semester would roll over to the next. WRONG! I ended up having to co-sign on an $8k loan for him because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  78. but can you take being second fiddle after being a captain?

    Sure, I'll just treat you like an Admiral.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Spitfire Murphy, what a name. Good morning.

    ReplyDelete
  80. 'All of your vices belong to us' - Chicago machine.

    ReplyDelete
  81. On second thought, I'll treat you better than I treated Admirals... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  82. Good Gravy...

    Woman found in Fla. home under 8 feet of trash

    The Florida Times-Union reports that officers were checking on Carina E. Decampo late Tuesday, after worried family members called to say they hadn't heard from her in weeks.

    They were met with what police called "unbelievable squalor" and a stench that made officers ill.

    After trying to search for about 20 minutes, they had to call in help.


    Wanna take bets on her being a millionaire and leaving all of her money to a cat ?

    ReplyDelete
  83. Good morning.

    sasquatchonsteroids said...
    Jordan's king to Haaretz: Without two states, there is no future


    My idea; the Israelis and Palestinians work out the whole "who owns what" question via a baseball game.

    This, in fact, is what was contemplated in that landmark document that first envisioned partition of Palestine: The Ball-Four Declaration.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Hi turn!

    This my alter ego....and blog name.

    ReplyDelete
  85. SOS, I have a freind who's mother was obsessive compulsive. You couldn't hardly walk through her house, little tiny passage ways with shit stacked to the ceilings. Unfrickingbelievable

    ReplyDelete
  86. On second thought, I'll treat you better than I treated Admirals...

    Good thing, too, because when I give an order, it's AN ORDER!

    /none of this "showing creative initiative" stuff, thankyouverymuch!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  87. How is the married life treating you?

    ReplyDelete
  88. Mornig OR, hey did you ever buck up with Ben and Buzz for a brew?

    ReplyDelete
  89. Good Morning Loppy! (et. al.)

    This is the reverse of the general point of Desert Dog's post involving Art Laffer just up-thread.

    To a point, reducing marginal tax rates increases revenues and increasing marginal tax rates reduces revenues.

    Your example is of the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  90. /none of this "showing creative initiative" stuff, thankyouverymuch!

    But my "creative initiatives" always work!

    "Mister President, I have brought peace to the Middle East. I had to sleep with a Palestinian woman and an Israeli woman at the same time; but somehow, that always solves any problem I face."

    ReplyDelete
  91. Wait until the honeymoon is over ... JUST KIDDING! I wish the best for you two. Man what a beautiful wedding that was.

    ReplyDelete
  92. turn said...
    Mornig OR, hey did you ever buck up with Ben and Buzz for a brew?


    I had been hoping to get to NYC this weekend, but as it turns out I have to go out of the country on a work trip. So it'll have to wait for another weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Guevara again? Can't history just forget all about him . . . like Jimmy Carter?

    ReplyDelete
  94. turn said...

    My grandfather was, too.
    When they cleaned his house out, they found a pool table....
    Never knew he had it, since it was covered by boxes upon boxes of stuff. Pots, pans, man was a squirrel and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  95. Good morning. My HTML-fu sucks, so pardon the lack of link. From Jerusalem Post:

    The CIA was aware of Iran's 'secret' nuclear plant in Qom already in 2006, and European and Israeli intelligence agencies were involved in compiling a presentation on the facility to the UN's nuclear watchdog, the US intelligence agency's director, Leon Panetta, revealed in an interview with Time magazine published overnight Wednesday.
    * * *
    The CIA director revealed that he learned of the facility after he was confirmed as head of the agency in January, and said the US spent months on efforts to gather more intelligence on the facility, including "conducting covert operations into that area."

    -Glad to know we are not just sitting on our asses.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Wyatt! Long time no see.
    How's Philly (game one down!)

    ReplyDelete
  97. Glad to know we are not just sitting on our asses.

    Actually, we are, if all we're doing is gathering intelligence and watching, rather than doing something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Wyatt Earp!

    LAW DON'T RUN AROUND HERE, LAW DOG!

    ReplyDelete
  99. hey, you even used tedious HTML to respond. I'll be there in January. I would like to get together for a beer with you if it works out. We'll see ...

    ReplyDelete
  100. SOS, Solin drove all the way down from Bellingham to clean his mothers house out after she passed away. It took him three days to haul off the junk, and it was worthless. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  101. turn

    Ha! Thanks...it was the best wedding I've ever been to. :D

    ReplyDelete
  102. So you're recently inducted into the ranks of married men, Spitfire? Congratulations from me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  103. Actually, we are, if all we're doing is gathering intelligence and watching, rather than doing something about it.


    wow, I was going to say something just like that. We have known for quite some time and did nothing. Actually I blame the war in Iraq for that.

    ReplyDelete
  104. JamesTKirk

    Um, it's loppyd here.

    Thanks just the same, though!

    She's a man, baby! LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  105. Morning Wyatt, you're a detective IIRC. Have you thought at all about the teen violence problem in Chicago? It seems to be out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  106. We have known for quite some time and did nothing. Actually I blame the war in Iraq for that.

    I said years ago that our exit strategy for Iraq should be "through Iran".

    ReplyDelete
  107. "Spitfire Murhpy" = loppyd?!

    Loppy, why couldn't you change your name to something more normal, like c3por2d2thx11388675309?

    /

    ReplyDelete
  108. Um, it's loppyd here.

    Sorry, I'm bad enough with names in the real world; through in randomly-shifting handles and I get really confused.

    Welcome to the ranks of the married in any event.

    ReplyDelete
  109. JamesTKirk, Turn, I understand where you are coming from, but if we have SF snooping around there, I have hope that there are myriad other things we may actively be doing . . .I hope.

    Maybe my expectations are so low that I am pleasantly surprised to know we were not caught off guard?

    ReplyDelete
  110. Urghh, can't wait till tomorrow. Or maybe even tonight. At least the day is moving slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  111. It's spelled "c3por2d2thx11388675309", but it's pronounced "throat warbler mangrove".

    ReplyDelete
  112. Have you thought at all about the teen violence problem in Chicago?

    NAH. Because life is a bowl of cherries in Philadelphia...

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  113. Shit, it's all we can do to deal with Afganastan right now ...

    I'm about to feel guilty myself ... bbl need to get some stuff done.

    ReplyDelete
  114. Maybe my expectations are so low that I am pleasantly surprised to know we were not caught off guard?

    At least we already knew, and "knowing is half the battle."

    Now it's about damned time to get to the other half of the battle, which is "making things go boom."

    ReplyDelete
  115. Hey Wyatt. Good to see you!

    /old home week

    ReplyDelete
  116. OK, is this better?

    I vote you change your nic to "Busty McBoobs".

    Who's with me?

    ReplyDelete
  117. I vote you change your nic to "Busty McBoobs". Who's with me?

    Depends -- does she get an avatar to match?

    ReplyDelete
  118. Depends -- does she get an avatar to match?

    I think Bar Wench already has claimed that avatar.

    Which can mean only one thing...

    Cat fight!

    /giddyup

    ReplyDelete
  119. Origin, I suspect we knew all along but were powerless to really do anyting about it. We had everything tied up in Iraq. We knew for sure they were shipping in IED's which were actually killing our troops but we were powerless to do anything about it. Now it's almost too late IMO. Maybe back when McCain was saying "bomb bomb Iran" but not now ...

    ReplyDelete
  120. My talking bra would love that nic!

    ReplyDelete
  121. "Busty McBoobs, The Talking Bra"--even better!

    ReplyDelete
  122. My talking bra would love that nic!

    It's a verbal support bra?

    "You look really good today, honey..."

    ReplyDelete
  123. It's a verbal support bra?

    "You look really good today, honey..."


    "I cross my heart... it's true!"

    ReplyDelete
  124. Sorry LOL ... I just don't have a bright vision for the situation in Iran. I think Israel will have to go it alone, especially with O calling the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  125. JamesTKirk, Turn I thought that I just read somewhere that a few Iranian scientists up and disappeared, or was that me day dreaming?

    ReplyDelete
  126. Specious, someone posted that link yesterday; two of them, which were alleged to have defected to the West, according to a London-based Arabic language paper (Al-Land-Shark, er, something).

    ReplyDelete
  127. I saw that link here yesterday, too.

    Maybe they defected because they're afraid of being in Israel's crosshairs?

    ReplyDelete
  128. lift and separate, lift and separate, lift and separate ... dang this bra is stuck on

    ReplyDelete
  129. Turn, I have no expertise, but I have read that there is no "Osirik"-type attack that would work against Iran with it's multiple sites and deep bunkers. It would appear that Israel has the will, but we have the way.

    ReplyDelete
  130. "I love being a bra... My cups runneth over..."

    ReplyDelete
  131. I know all y'all are enjoying a good "Boob" thread, but there's a fresh one upstairs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  132. VS actually makes a biofit bra.

    ReplyDelete
  133. No Captain, I read that too. First thought was they were getting the hell out of Dodge because they knew an attack was immanent. What kind of secrets could they give us other than the location of the facility which we already knew? Maybe the state of their technology and the timetable for the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  134. LOL. So "defected" is the new euphemism for extraordinary rendition? However it happened, or was made to happen, it is 2 down and x to go.

    ReplyDelete
  135. Thanks for keeping us abreast, ę_σ

    ReplyDelete
  136. No more bra talk is my cue to get some work done.

    Lataah

    ReplyDelete
  137. Hey loppyd, good to see you here!

    We're getting quite the crowd now.

    ReplyDelete
  138. Maybe they defected because they're afraid of being in Israel's crosshairs?

    haha, first thought in my head too ...

    ReplyDelete
  139. {Kenneth}! :-)

    Did I say hi to you today?

    /overdue for a nap...

    NEW THREAD, KIDS! ↑

    ReplyDelete