Monday, September 21, 2009

The Liberty Pub is open for business!


Welcome new members/old friends! (And please remember our policies. Put simply: We're looking at the road ahead, not what's behind us.)

208 comments:

  1. WELCOME TO THE LIBERTY PUB!

    I'm Brandy, and I'll be serving your drinks (etc. ;-) tonight.

    What'll you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the serving wench in here? A round for the house, I'm buying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, hi Brandy. There you are. I'll stop shouting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What time is the football game...and who's playing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today is my daughter's 18th birthday. Does this make me old officially? Egads. An adult.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray, made my final payment on 50 acres in northern New Mexico today! I poured every spare cent into it for the last 5 years and now I need to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ArmyWife! :-)

    I remember 18...feels just like yesterday...oh wait. IT WAS!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ArmyWife, congratulations on successfully accomplishing the mission! Mine are 22, 20 and 17. You're never really done, but your role definitely changes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With all the flooding around here I was watching the news. A levee broke at a town north of here. I'm sure I saw Joe Biden planting explosives up there.

    It's racism, I tells ya. All those McMansions being flooded out. The brought in the Corps of Engineers to flood the rivers. And the rain was the result of a horrible government climate-warfare experiment gone astray.

    So where's my free money?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love New Mexico, Wendy! (I used to be a partner in a house outside of Santa Fe, but we sold it.) That's great news!

    ReplyDelete
  11. eatitorwearit! :-)

    CURTAINS?!

    /shades of Scarlett O'Hara!

    ReplyDelete
  12. With all the flooding around here I was watching the news. A levee broke at a town north of here. I'm sure I saw Joe Biden planting explosives up there.

    Where do you live? I called my mom this AM after I read reports that north Georgia got 12 inches of rain in 24 hours. Luckily, she didn't flood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in Chamblee, on the north edge of the city. Further to the south some of the wealthy neighborhoods have been flooded out; the worst is further north where the water is up to the second storey windows.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, a great new bar and I no longer drink the suds. I'll be the dedicated poster when ya'll can't talk any more.

    Drink up all, I have a lot to say, but no one will listen unless they are drunk!

    Top

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy, Bar Wench, everyone! eatitorwearit, a warning, will ya?

    Gosh I hope we don't see our First Lady in that get up anytime soon. Speaking of, have y'all seen the Michelle Obama's Mirror's Blog? Kinda like the TOTUS blog. A great idea, wish I had thought of it, I think my snarky humor would be a better fit, if I must say so myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wendy, that is fantastic! Enjoy your property in good health.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heard earlier that we had between 10 and 18" of rain as of monday last night, and then 5-6" more since midnight. The ground is totally soaked.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just been called for dinner. Back in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We'll keep your seat warm for you, Jim. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm Brandy, and I'll be serving your drinks (etc. ;-) tonight.

    What'll you have?


    Good Evening everyone as I slid into my usual spot. Scotch, ice and a dash of water, please BW. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I grew up in Illinois in a place where it flooded pretty much every spring. We'd stand in the back of the grade school and watch the waters gradually approach the school. I'm no stranger to floods, but this is one of the three worst I've ever seen in all my, um, uh, years.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shug said...

    Make mine a sasparilla
    I had real sasparilla when we lived in Las Vegas (third grade) at a casino that looked like an old western town (Sam's Town). Was delicious, they made it there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wendy .... congrats! ... ArmyWife .. join the club ... yes, we are getting old ... oh, and beers all around ... and for us redneck women ...

    Here For the Party!!!

    and I ain't leaving till ya'll throw me out ... (or the beer runs out) ...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats Wendy. New Mexico sounds great, especially as I look out at the five inches of water in my back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now I get to take a couple of months off and then start socking money away for the house. I'm doing all of this by living poor for a few years so I don't have a mortgage. I was able to buy the land (with an option for another 150 acres) from a friend at below market value. It's about 25 miles from the nearest town out in the middle of federal land. It abuts the Wild Rivers Recreation Area so it will never be developed. Best part, it actually has electrical lines and plentiful water, a rarity out in the boonies.

    ReplyDelete
  26. "You know, if — frankly, it’s not really something I’ve followed closely. I didn’t even know that ACORN was getting a whole lot of federal money."


    /BWWWAAAAH!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wendy, that is so awesome. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was at the Detroit Lions- Minnesota vikings game yesterday and at noon when the bar opened at the Ellwood Grill across the street, I ordered a Jack and Diet, and asked the lady to make it a double so I wouldn't need to wait in line so soon and I watched her fill almost the entire glass with Jack Daniels and add a splash of diet coke and I said " sweet, this is gonna be a good game"

    Saw my hero ernie Harwell who was recently diagnosed with bile duct cancer. He did not look well. bless his heart

    ReplyDelete
  29. Brandy

    A glass of that good southern sweet tea over there would be nice...Thank ya

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lucius Septimius said...

    I'm in Chamblee, on the north edge of the city.


    Mom is in Alpharetta. We bought a house there back in '84 before it became a haven for gated subdivisions. We've had flooding problems in the past but before I moved here I had a landscape company come out and put in a bunch of drains. I was very happy to hear they worked.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wendy ... so great that you did that ... it will be worth it ... nothing wrong with living the frugal life to get what you want in the end ... not enough people do that now ...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hiya, Army Wife.
    Good to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats Wendy! i so envy you ;-))

    Brandy I'll have my usual old Irish - no ice - no water. Please.
    As one last for the road to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  34. sasquatchonsteroids said...

    Hiya, Army Wife.
    Good to see you here.

    Thank you! This is an idea I've toyed with for awhile - so long in fact, this group beat me to it! Which is good, really. I couldn't move my blog beyond a template.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wendy...great way to get where you want to be.
    Congrats on having a plan and seeing it through!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Callahan! :-)

    Irish whiskey?

    Oh, did you wwant a glass with that? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Shug said...
    Make mine a sasparilla


    Welcome, Shug!

    It's Pi Guy, but you may have known me "elsehwere" as GMSC.

    ReplyDelete
  38. One of my favorite old guys ... R. L. Burnside ... and if you have never heard of him .. he was great .... he says ...

    "They tell me if trouble comes ... call 911 .. I say 357 is faster..."

    R. L. Burnside ... Come On In ...

    /will it be easier to post videos in the "new" place? ....

    ReplyDelete
  39. GMSC, sweetie! :-) Can I get you a drink?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Tell them to wait. LOL (Okay, okay, I'm coming!)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Bar Wench said...
    Callahan! :-)
    Irish whiskey?


    Hmm, just my sort of poison. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I wish I could stay, but we have a flood refugee staying with us. My daughter's friend could not get to her house - the road is completely blocked - so she's spending the night with us. School has already been canceled for tomorrow. Luckily, our house is on a small hill so we are staying warm and dry. I need to fix them something to eat, then it's the season premiere of "House."

    Have a great evening everyone. Lucius and any others in the southeast, stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Callahan,

    Only the best for you, darlin'!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hey, BW, what would YOU like ?
    You look so busy serving everyone,that we don't even know what you like ?
    What's your pleasure ?

    (Shot of Jameson if you can rustle it up).

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wander off for a bit and everyone is getting hammered.
    I need to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wait ... this isn't BYOB? ... geez .. in that case ... I will take some good stuff ... I am drinking ole redneck bud light .... I will take ... um ... geez ... I don't even know what the "high life" beers are ... help!

    ReplyDelete
  47. 'Night, doppelganglander! :-)

    Stay dry! :-/

    ReplyDelete
  48. See ya later Dopp ... keep dry ...

    ReplyDelete
  49. Its the last day of summer, what will take the chill off bar keep?

    ReplyDelete
  50. sasquatch! :-)

    I would like faster typing fingers, if you want to know the truth. ;-)

    And Callahan! Pass over that bottle of Jamesons to sas, will you please?

    ReplyDelete
  51. zigzaggingthroughghostland said...

    Wendy ... so great that you did that ... it will be worth it ... nothing wrong with living the frugal life to get what you want in the end ... not enough people do that now ...


    Having just finished paying off a mortgage 8 years ago, I had no desire to pay interest payments again. Our business is here and this is where we will retire. We planned on doing this in 10 years, start to finish. In another three years, the house will be finished and paid for. At that point, we'll find someone to run the business and move on to other things.

    ReplyDelete
  52. BarWench ... decisions decisions ... thank you ... I will help myself ...

    ReplyDelete
  53. New Mexico is such beautiful country.

    and there is nothing on earth better than good green chili sauce

    ReplyDelete
  54. And Callahan! Pass over that bottle of Jamesons to sas, will you please?

    Love to share a bottle with Cal.
    But he's drivin' home....

    And I'm NOT riding on the back of that scooter, Mister.

    ReplyDelete
  55. It Ain't No Juke Joint Without the Blues ...

    Funky ...

    ReplyDelete
  56. Bar Wench said...

    DEZ,

    What's yer pleasure, big fella?

    Last time I was asked that question, I think I got the answer wrong, man that girl had a right hook.
    So um, just grog will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Starting to look like a family reunion around here...not a throw back in the bunch!

    CC...sure hope the new place will be a big house!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Bar Wench said...
    And Callahan! Pass over that bottle of Jamesons to sas, will you please?

    Sasquatch , here you go your Jamesons now. As ordered by the high-priestess Brandy of our watering digs here.

    ReplyDelete
  59. DEZ said...

    So um, just grog will be fine.

    If you bring out the grog...I may start drinking again

    Man the times I've had with grog...hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  60. The things we do for grog
    like walking in the rain and the snow...
    Ah, you get the idea 1SG, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  61. And I'm NOT riding on the back of that scooter, Mister.

    Bwaha!

    ReplyDelete
  62. 1SG, it is! It won't be what most are used to. There will be different "rooms" where you can go for different types of discussions. You can talk with Carl in "Friends of Israel", 3wood in "All About the Benjamins", Pi Guy in "Time Capsules", and Bare/various contributors on "The Daily Broadside", with a pub on the premises, too.

    We're thinking of adding some more "rooms" as we chug along - a couple of things under consideration are a military forum, and an editorial section that people can contribute to. (Would have to work out a few of the kinks on that idea, but it's a possibility.)

    It's clean and sharp, and looking good. Should be just a few days now...oh please, oh please. : ) (Bare is working hard but he's got a full time gig, plus he's helping out here too, so he's been B-U-S-Y.)

    ReplyDelete
  63. Last time I was asked that question, I think I got the answer wrong, man that girl had a right hook.

    A knew a girl who had a helluva right hook.
    Died of jock itch.

    /Did I just say that ?

    ReplyDelete
  64. I hear Letterman gives Obama a blow job tonight .. could this be true? ...

    /

    ReplyDelete
  65. sasquatchonsteroids said...


    A knew a girl who had a helluva right hook.
    Died of jock itch.

    /Did I just say that ?

    Must have been all that hair?

    ReplyDelete
  66. I hear he licks Obama's buttcrack clean. Doesn't miss a spot.

    ReplyDelete
  67. DEZ said...
    The things we do for grog
    like walking in the rain and the snow...
    Ah, you get the idea 1SG, ;)

    You know it..and somethings best not talked about

    ReplyDelete
  68. oh please, oh please

    What's with all the dealines and stuff? i dont' work that way, you know. I'm a free-spirited independent type! The pressure! AAAAAGH! I CAN'T. HANDLE. THE PRESSURE!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Top...DEZ...Could you please step away from the bar? You're melting all the ice!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  70. RunningBare ... you don't actually think you need a life do you? ... get to work man ... we are cramped in this small space ... oh, here's a beer ...

    ReplyDelete
  71. zigzaggingthroughghostland said...
    I hear Letterman gives Obama a blow job tonight .. could this be true? ...

    As Running Bare put it so succinctly:
    "I guess The One doesn't feel like his butt crack is clean enough, because he's appearing on Letterman this week."

    LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  72. RB.
    A new segment on Letterman?
    Tongue the bung.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Letterman hasn't been funny since Larry Bud Melman died.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Now Wench..I'm sure you are part of the problem you hot thing.

    Don't blame it all on us.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Top,

    Did the sun come up or did you just smile at me?

    ReplyDelete
  76. DEZ said...
    Tongue the bung.

    Oh - my - gosh. ROTFLMAO

    Regardless of all the fun. It is again getting very late here.
    Did I mention that I hate that time delay? ?
    - - -
    Gals, guys 'n 'menschen'.
    See y'all down the road.
    I love {y’all) Really!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Letterman : So, Mr President, how have you been ?

    Obama : Well, Dave, I...

    L : CAN I HAVE YOUR BABY !?!?

    ReplyDelete
  78. Goodnight Callahan ...

    ReplyDelete
  79. Nite, Cal.
    Sleep well, bro.
    Unicorns 'n shit.

    ReplyDelete
  80. OK Brandy,

    I need another Tea..blame sasquatch for the mess..it really wasn't my fault!

    ReplyDelete
  81. Hello again y'all. Can I have a Bailey's please?

    ReplyDelete
  82. Wendy, I love New Mexico. Used to ski in Taos and Sante Fe.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Put it on my tab, Brandy.
    I have credit here, right ?

    ReplyDelete
  84. No, no guys, see my post at the top of the thread. I insist.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Bar wench, is that link (to Top) what you thought it was?

    ReplyDelete
  86. So,Shug,long time no type.

    Last I remember you were expecting ?
    (well, not you but...shit,stop typing)

    ReplyDelete
  87. Now here is a question.

    Where I grew up, standard bar ettiquite required that you place your money on the bar before you started drinking. I remember automatically setting a twenty up against the edge of the bar; you'd drink until it was used up and then lay down another.

    When I got to Georgia no one had seen this. Or is it just a midwest thing?

    ReplyDelete
  88. I have a crush on Jack White ... always have ... damn I am just too old to think like that ...

    Fly Farm Blues .... whatta you got ...

    ReplyDelete
  89. Lucius ... maybe in Georgia they know you will pay ... cuz if you don't ... you in big trouble ... son ...

    ReplyDelete
  90. LS,

    Depends on where I go.
    Local bar just leaves the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  91. You have a tab with me, baybee!

    Seriously old school there.

    How about a Fresca ?

    ~Judge Smails

    ReplyDelete
  92. Lucius,

    Mid-Atlantic...Northeast...are they more trusting in Georgia, or do they have quicker access to a loaded firearm?

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  93. Top is a term used to address the First Sergeant of a army company!

    Top

    ReplyDelete
  94. Bar wench, I'm a CONSERVATIVE STRAIGHT WHITE MALE.
    Irish cream.
    Mint chocolate is way too frou frou.
    Lucius- I've never seen the put your money on the bar first thing. Not in Texas, Arkansas, Nebraska nor the Old Dominion. Maybe I'm hanging out in the wrong places.

    ReplyDelete
  95. sasquatch,

    They still make it, believe it or not. There's always at least one six pack in my supermarket.

    /costs the same - or more! - as a 12-pack of Coke, unfortunately...

    ReplyDelete
  96. SoS .. Fresca? ... now that takes me back ... my mama use to buy that by the case ... after she got off of Tab ...

    ReplyDelete
  97. Bar wench, I get a brown sign with white lettering, "Go to Andreas recipes dot com to see this picture."

    ReplyDelete
  98. sasquatchonsteroids

    yep. end of March.

    wheeeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  99. I used to go to a bar up there that was in an old quonset hut. The guy who started the bar bought one as surplus. When he expanded, they just built around the original quonset. Sort of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Northwet, must be a trusting place.

    Drink, then pay.....

    ReplyDelete
  101. 1SG(ret) said...

    Top is a term used to address the First Sergeant of a army company!

    Top

    I was thinking I was supposed to read the rules again.
    Thanks clearing it up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  102. Jim,

    I guess *I* will have to drink the chocolate then...

    /darn.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  103. They still make it, believe it or not. There's always at least one six pack in my supermarket.

    Nice.
    RC Cola and Moon Pies, those were the summers...

    ReplyDelete
  104. Bar Wench,

    Dang... so much beer so little time....

    ReplyDelete
  105. Jim in Virginia said...

    Bar wench, I get a brown sign with white lettering, "Go to Andreas recipes dot com to see this picture."


    Hmmm...I'm still getting a beautiful picture of a glass of iced tea next to a pitcher.

    You're going to have to use your imagination.

    /hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  106. ZZ

    SoS .. Fresca?

    Mine drank it too.
    And Ginger Ale. I still like one of those every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  107. SoS ... yep ... I ask the bartenders sometimes if they can make it if they don't have it ... the old ones can ... the Ginger Ale ...

    ReplyDelete
  108. Shug

    At least it's through the cool months.

    Congrats again !

    ReplyDelete
  109. Bar Wench said...

    You're going to have to use your imagination.

    I did and it was darn good!

    Top

    ReplyDelete
  110. Actually, let me qualify that statement. In the nicer bars ... drink then pay. In the not-quite-as-nice bars ... lemme see your money.

    /guess we now all know where *I* used to hang out...

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  111. SAGE! :-)

    What'll be, sweetie? Jim's paying...

    ReplyDelete
  112. /guess we now all know where *I* used to hang out...

    I KNEW I'd seen you around before...

    //

    ReplyDelete
  113. Top is also a 1st Sergeant or a Master Sergeant in the Marine Corps.

    ReplyDelete
  114. Wheres the tip jar?

    www.squatchneedsmoney.com

    ReplyDelete
  115. SAGE! :-)

    What'll be, sweetie? Jim's paying...


    Arnold Palmer.

    I'm not much of a drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  116. Hey Y'all this is REALWEST -just a drive by to say hi y'all and to welcome Shug!
    HEY SHUG PLEASE CHECK YOUR E-MAIL and
    CALLAHAN 23 PLEASE CHECK YOUR E-MAIL TOO.
    It's good to see you all out here but I gotta run to mush some food - glad to be seeing the dentist in the morning, hope y'all are doing well and that I get the chance to see you all down the road tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  117. DS

    Arnold Palmer ?
    What the heck is that ? Prune juice and Milk ?

    /

    ReplyDelete
  118. DesertSage said...

    Top is also a 1st Sergeant or a Master Sergeant in the Marine Corps.

    So true....should have stated that

    ReplyDelete
  119. Hi Desert Sage. Glad to be here. what a great crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  120. DEZ said...
    Realwest is in da house.

    Still has his secret code I see!

    Hi ya realwest!

    ReplyDelete
  121. Salute, 1SG.

    Thanks for your service,sir.

    ReplyDelete
  122. Arnold Palmer ?
    What the heck is that ? Prune juice and Milk ?


    Ughhhh....

    Arnold Palmer

    ReplyDelete
  123. 6p00e55005f9c78834, sweetheart! :-)

    Did you have Campbell's soup today? Because you're lookin' mmm... mmm... good!

    ReplyDelete
  124. Feel better realwest.
    see you soon pal

    ReplyDelete
  125. Hey, Sage! Good to see you!

    (Errr...what's an Arnold Palmer? I'm drink-challenged. Strictly Coke Zero for me, except for the very occasional Bailey's/rocks.)

    ReplyDelete
  126. Did you have Campbell's soup today? Because you're lookin' mmm... mmm... good!

    OMG. LOL

    Grooooooooan. : )

    ReplyDelete
  127. 1SG(ret) said...

    So true....should have stated that


    I only made it to Corporal, Top.
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  128. Wench, would you like me to put up a thread #2 for you, before we reach the evil 200th post?

    ReplyDelete
  129. CC,

    Arnold Palmer, Ice and Lemonade....

    ReplyDelete
  130. THIS IS REALWEST (damn TypePad!!) I'm sorry - don't mean to be rude - but that was really a drive by to say hi to y'all and to welcome SHUG.
    And now I do have to go - I'm doingok, but in a lot of tooth ache pain now - seeing dentist tomorrow, will be back later tonight if I'm able to!
    See y'all down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  131. Hi again, gang. Finally finished with my paperwork. Do they serve Bombay martinis around here?

    ReplyDelete
  132. Real was here? That's him with the odd numerical nic?

    ReplyDelete
  133. Getting some pain, gonna put my arm back in the sling and watch the tube for a bit.
    Thanks for the fine company.

    ReplyDelete
  134. sasquatchonsteroids said...
    Thanks for your service,sir.

    Thanks...but not needed! My pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  135. Bar Wench said...

    Sage, If I could spell I could have had it to you faster... ;-)


    Louise's Trattoria? Is that the one on Los Feliz?

    ReplyDelete
  136. What happens at the 200th post? And is it really evil? Maybe there are root causes we should examine.

    ReplyDelete
  137. DEZ said...
    Getting some pain, gonna put my arm back in the sling and watch the tube for a bit.
    Thanks for the fine company.

    Take care DEZ...hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  138. Thanks, Bar Wench, cute glass too! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  139. Sage,

    You think I take these pictures?!

    Heck! I'm lucky if I can FIND them!

    ;-)

    It does say Los Angeles on that page. Is that where Los Feliz is?

    ReplyDelete
  140. I have a couple of nice highball glasses from the "Polynesian Palace" where I saw Don Ho in 1972. My sister was a habitual glass thief.

    ReplyDelete
  141. Thanks, JCM.

    Jim: At 200, Blogspot starts paging, and following the thread gets harder...so we may just put up a thread #2.

    Today's history thread will be coming up after that.

    ReplyDelete
  142. Jim,

    Oh crap. :-( After 200 it goes to a second page. Then when you post, the post ends up on the second page while YOU end up on the first.

    /really ROUGH when you're drinking!

    Finally, if you are ME, the entire thread just disappears into thin internet...

    ReplyDelete
  143. There's nothing "cleaner" than Campbell's Soup, Wench. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  144. Me, I stole ashtrays.

    /in my BIG HANDBAG days...

    ReplyDelete
  145. Wenchie, I'm putting up a #2 for you in two minutes. May as well head it off at the pass. When you're ready to move up there, just make an announcement on the house P.A.!

    ReplyDelete
  146. Nite, awesome people.
    Better crawl back to my bunker..
    Cal took off without me.

    Again.

    ReplyDelete