Thursday, September 17, 2009

Today in History: September 18th





Highlights of this day in history: Congress passes the Fugitive Slave Act; Anthrax tainted letters sent to NBC and the New York Post. Patricia Hearst is arrested after her kidnapping. U.N. Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld dies in a plane crash. Greta Garbo born. Jimi Hendrix dies.

Other notable September 18th events include:

324 – Constantine the Great decisively defeats Licinius in the Battle of Chrysopolis, establishing Constantine's sole control over the Roman Empire.

1502 – Christopher Colombus lands at Costa Rica on his fourth, and final, voyage.

1679 – New Hampshire becomes a county of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

1793 – The first cornerstone of the Capitol building is laid by George Washington.

1809 – The Royal Opera House in London opens.

1851 – First publication of The New-York Daily Times, which would become The New York Times.

1873 – The Panic of 1873 begins.

1882 – The Pacific Stock Exchange opens.

1895 – Booker T. Washington delivers the "Atlanta Compromise" address.

1927 – The Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) goes on the air.

1947 – The United States Air Force becomes an independent service.

1948 – Margaret Chase Smith of Maine becomes the first woman elected to the US Senate without completing another senator's term when she defeats Democratic opponent Adrian Scolten.

1960 – Fidel Castro arrives in New York City as the head of the Cuban delegation to the United Nations.

1984 – Joe Kittinger completes the first solo balloon crossing of the Atlantic.

1998 – ICANN is formed.

123 comments:

  1. Didn't Sugar Ray Leonard fight anyone on this date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Night C2ers. I need to go and recharge my body. I have to repeat today all over again tomorrow.:)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Hendrix...wasted his talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just his manager for the hug cut the manager was cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even Sugar Ray is afraid of Helen Thomas.

    :')

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1787 the signing of one of the most remarkable documents in human history.

    The Constitution of the United States.

    We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

    Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the Twelfth. In Witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names. Note

    Go Washington - President and deputy from Virginia

    New Hampshire - John Langdon, Nicholas Gilman

    Massachusetts - Nathaniel Gorham, Rufus King

    Connecticut - Wm Saml Johnson, Roger Sherman

    New York - Alexander Hamilton

    New Jersey - Wil Livingston, David Brearley, Wm Paterson, Jona. Dayton

    Pensylvania - B Franklin, Thomas Mifflin, Robt Morris, Geo. Clymer, Thos FitzSimons, Jared Ingersoll, James Wilson, Gouv Morris

    Delaware - Geo. Read, Gunning Bedford jun, John Dickinson, Richard Bassett, Jaco. Broom

    Maryland - James McHenry, Dan of St Tho Jenifer, Danl Carroll

    Virginia - John Blair, James Madison Jr.

    North Carolina - Wm Blount, Richd Dobbs Spaight, Hu Williamson

    South Carolina - J. Rutledge, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, Charles Pinckney, Pierce Butler

    Georgia - William Few, Abr Baldwin

    Attest: William Jackson, Secretary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I'm in a spelling bee with these word verifications.

    Definition please
    Could you put it in a sentence please
    Could you repeat the word please

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here I was languishing in the lower threads and no one thought to tell me a new one was posted.

    /I blame the rum...
    //waiting for an important email so that's my backup excuse why I am up so late on a work night

    ///captcha: fally
    ////google is trying to tell me something I think

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm here! wooohoooo!

    Not like I've been trying for a week to get on this site.

    Anyone else having trouble posting from Firefox? For some reason I can't get the comment feature here to work on Firefox, which means I'm stuck on the Evil Satanic IE8.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am I here or am I somewhere else?

    Welcome Lucius!

    You're here, you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like I'm in a spelling bee with these word verifications.

    Definition please
    Could you put it in a sentence please
    Could you repeat the word please


    Personally, I prefer this CAPTCHA to blogspot's built-in version.

    And you don't feel like you're in a spelling test!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Firefox works fine for me, Lucius.

    We're moving soon, though, so the torture shall be short-lived. ;-)

    Wait'll you get a load of the bar wench!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm posting on Firefox....no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Pink.

    Well, now that I'm here, I must go off to bed. Gotta get up before the donuts are made to grade. Yuck. And the papers reallllllly suck.

    Night all -- hopefully I'll be back before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Am I here or am I somewhere else?

    Are you in Antarctica? No.

    Are you in Myanmar? No.

    If you're not in Antarctica and you're not in Myanmar, you must be someplace else.

    And if you're someplace else, you can't be here!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy crap Pi. I loved his music, but wasn't a member of his fan club. I was known to sneak a copy or two of "Tiger Beat" into the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucius Septimus said...

    Welcome to our humble oasis. Don't forget to tip Bar Wench in the Liberty Pub.

    /captcha: boles
    //I actually understand and know this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bar wench? Arrrgh! Is her foc'sl ample and her transom tucked?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Goodnight, Lucius, I'm so glad you dropped by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lucius! I almost forgot! Isn't tomorrow Talk Like A Pirate Day?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lucius Septimius!

    Welcome aboard....

    I answer you about FF, but the latest update hosed FF on my XP box so I'm using IE8 until I uninstall and reinstall FF.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Lucius. All I use is Firefox, no problems here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nope, it's the 19th. I thought today was the 18th. I was wrong, it's the 17th.

    /I'll stop now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lucius Septimus said...

    From what I saw of her avatar, yes. Yes indeedy. :o~~

    /captcha: requito

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just to be clear on the matter, when I post "Today in History", I'm posting them on the prior day, so that you know these events going into the day.

    That's why "Today In History: September 18th" is posted late on September 17th.

    I figure it's more fun knowing this stuff going into the day, so you can look smart at work - "Man, can you believe CBS has been around for exactly 82 years as of today?"

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pi Guy ... love that game site ... bookmarked it and played a couple of the games ... yep ... my memory sucks ...

    Gotta get to bed ya'll ... hope you have a great night ... cannot wait for the move ... thanks to all who have contributed ....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pi Guy: The last thread was a blog pimping thread. Any guide lines on who or what can do that for our new home?

    /working on becoming a shameless blog pimp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pi Guy said...

    The interweb dateline effect!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oo la la ....yes, Jorline. She's er ...umm ...somthing else!

    She'll be manning the bar. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pi Guy ... love that game site ... bookmarked it and played a couple of the games ... yep ... my memory sucks ...

    I enjoy Sporcle, too.

    I'm such a big fan of "How Many Xs Can You Name In Y Minutes?"-type quizzes, I maintain a regularly-updated list of them!

    As of earlier today, the list contains over 2,500 such quizzes.

    G'nite, Zigzag - get some Zs!

    ReplyDelete
  31. 1502 – Christopher Colombus lands at Costa Rica on his fourth, and final, voyage.

    Wasn't there a parade or two named after this guy? I think he was accused of abusing the natives.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi guys. Just getting here and I a three sheets to the wind. We had a wake for a dear friend. Did I see my friend NYNana here back a couple of threads?

    ReplyDelete
  33. JCM said...

    The interweb dateline effect!


    I thought eHarmony was the interweb dateline effect.

    ReplyDelete
  34. PBJ

    Your eyes did not decieve you, Nana is about, but she checked out for the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  35. 1502 – Christopher Colombus lands at Costa Rica on his fourth, and final, voyage.

    Wasn't there a parade or two named after this guy? I think he was accused of abusing the natives.


    The real story of Christopher Columbus (according to Goonerisms Spalore, anyway):

    Many gears ayo, Queen Spainabella if Is heared a light snock on the coor of her dastle. There stood a young gen from Manoa who gowed bracefully and egged a baudience with her hoyal righness, which audience she gillingly wave. " Oh Seen", he qued, " I would learly dove to wail sestward and amover Disterica, but I am dort of shough. Could you kingtact the cong and mare up a bit of scunny?"

    Now the deen, who was anything but a quope, recognized the minsarity of the san, plus the profability of a little possit in the deal. So, she kingtacted the cong, and together they gave him bee small throats : The Pina, the Ninta and the Manta Saria. This made Holibus excruciatingly cappy, so he quanked the theen on nended bee and forth set mail for Aserica, the tune of opperlandity.

    It was on octwelber the toth, fourteen hundred and twodee-nine after hardy menships and ditter bissapointments, that Corstifer Colimbus arrived at the shelate doors of the bahamas. Thus, American startery histed.

    ReplyDelete
  36. PBJ said
    Yes you did. NY Nana will probably be busy and/or offline the next couple of days as well. Jewish New Year this weekend. It's great, I have seen a whole bunch of VR friends I haven't seen for awhile. I LOVE this place.

    /captcah: dental
    //I just gotta know what document these things are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks, JCM. Kinda early for Nana but then again she is cooking and baking for the New Year.

    Good to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Pink Freud said...

    Oo la la ....yes, Jorline. She's er ...umm ...somthing else!

    Is she Wicked?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jorline:

    I have heard rumors to the affirmative, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Pi Guy said...

    The real story of Christopher Columbus (according to Goonerisms Spalore, anyway):

    rotfl

    What's the matter son, cat got your tongue?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I think the problem is that they were taking down the story when Rev. Spooner was dictating it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Pink, I need to ask you a couple of questions through email. Do you have a addy handy?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Holy Cow. Iowahawk has an actual serious post on his blog. Then again it's about a fellow Iowan that went out and did real good.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Holy Cow. Iowahawk has an actual serious post on his blog. Then again it's about a fellow Iowan that went out and did real good.

    Here's the link: Farm Boy

    ReplyDelete
  45. Night all!

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks Pi, almost done for the night and HTML is just beyond my grasp.

    Good night JCM, see you around.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Phil, just saw your post (had to reboot, aarrgh). I know Nana is busy. NY Grandpa is shopping and it's not that close for kosher anymore, according to her. She is cooking. I am not Jewish but I don't know how far we'd have to go here in Los Angeles County...the Fairfax district of LA City, perhaps. All we have locally, recently, seems to be halal food. What a different world we live in now.

    ReplyDelete
  48. PBJ said...

    I understand. Even here in my city you can find more Halal selections then you can kosher. Makes me nervous actually. At least I now know which neighbourhoods to steer clear of.

    /hmmmm captcha: stablo

    ReplyDelete
  49. Phil, Our neighborhood is ?able but we have been here for a long time. I am really kind of surprised by the Halal markets since all I can see is a very small Ethiopian type storefront mosque. Even the NOI are not around selling their bean pies like they were in the '70's. That being said, our local market is wonderful. Three rows of garbanzo beans but lovely, inexpensive produce and a butcher that will give you the cut you want.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hey everyone, how is everything going tonight?
    Say jorline, where'd you find the avatar for those cool flip-flops?

    ReplyDelete
  51. What's the matter son, cat got your tongue?

    That reminds me. A few weeks ago here in Vegas, we had the world's shortest attempted bank robbery.

    A guy came into the bank, pointed (what he claimed was) a gun from underneath his jacket.

    His exact words: "Nobody move, mother-stickers! This is a f**k-up!"

    Everyone burst into laughter, and he left right away (empty-handed). According to the news, he was later caught with help from the banks video footage.

    Personally, I hope his punishment is to have the tape of that attempted robbery broadcast constantly on a local station for at least 2 straight weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  52. 6p00e55005f9c78834 said...

    I prefer it when you post as realwest. Referring to you as "6p00" doesn't come across as endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  53. HI PBJ - how are ya doing tonight? Y'all should have mail, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Evening realwest. Your typepad id is really screwy this evening. How was your day overall?

    ReplyDelete
  55. OMG, who are you 6p00e55005f9c78834? RedC?

    Whoever you are, hello. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  56. 6p00e55005f9c78834 said...

    I can't remember. I have an Irish themed restaurant and I live next to the beach...the flip-flops just seemed right.

    I didn't have my glasses on when I downloaded the avatar, I thought they were white shamrocks...lol Months later I noticed they were actually orchids.

    Still shamrocks in my book though.

    ReplyDelete
  57. 6p00e55005f9c78834 said...

    LMAO...RW, is that you?

    Shit, you look like R2D2 right now.

    I really didn't know who you were RW...sorry for giving you info you aready knew.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Jorline, if you're wicked and have an Irish-themed restaurant, wouldn't a black velvet band be more appropriate?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cnzstOtW2k

    ReplyDelete
  59. 6p00..checking my mail. Not on since the reboot.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hey Pi Guy! I have NO EFFIN' idea of how that happened! I use TypePad (just cause I got if for another blog over a year ago) and as you know I've been posting as REALWEST and my name has been showing up before, I don't get this at all.
    Crap.
    Oh and this is REALWEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  61. 6p00e55005f9c78834 said...

    RW, does Mom know your on the internet using this nic...lol

    ReplyDelete
  62. Well I have to go to bed now. Been a loooonnngg night for me. I will probably feel it in the morning. See you all later and weet dreams all.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Good Lord. Well y'all I'm gonna have to start my comments (if this doesn't work) as realwest.

    BTW, did I tell y'all how much I HATE BLOGSPOT!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Pi Guy said...

    Jorline, if you're wicked and have an Irish-themed restaurant, wouldn't a black velvet band be more appropriate?

    They're pretty good Pi...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Realwest is that you that e-mailed. I know I probably owe you one. We had a funeral/wake today.

    ReplyDelete
  66. realwest - good night PaladinPhil!
    Jorline stop horsing around with this.
    I swear I've been posting as realwest on TypePad for a week now and it's always said realwest!
    Gah!
    and I keep getting this "Your OpenID credentials could not be verified! WTH is this?!

    ReplyDelete
  67. realwest - Gee PBJ, I'm sorry to hear that. And it was me trying to post to you that you have e-mail!

    ReplyDelete
  68. It sounds like some issue with OpenID. Check with them and TypePad, and you can probably work it out.

    ReplyDelete
  69. You have mail, RW.

    Once I "finally" got it, I found Google really easy but I have to tell you those words were hard to read during the sign up. Much easier now. Mine has a little "handicapped" thing next to it. LOL, they must know I had trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Hi PiGuy - I have no idea how to get in touch with either TypePad or OpenID - but if you click next to the number (where realwest should appear) it takes you to realwest personal page (which has nothing in it but my name!

    PBJ - received and replied to!

    ReplyDelete
  71. 6p00e55005f9c78834 said...

    I don't know. I kinda dig your new name. It's catchy. : )

    ReplyDelete
  72. CC

    I kinda liked it too. I've been trying to rhyme it up with something. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  73. Correspondence Committee - Oh Yeah? well try saying it fast three times, then tell me how you feel about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Sorry RW...I'll play the straight guy now.

    How are you and Mom? I owe you an email as well.
    I'm on my last month of the TB meds...can't wait for my first beer in nine months...lol

    ReplyDelete
  75. RW, I was going to say earlier.

    Screw you 6p00e55005f9c78834 and the horse you rode in on...just give us back realwest and no questions will be asked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  76. realwest - yes Jorline, you do owe me an e-mail! LOL!
    Great to hear about the TB meds though. But I'll probably wind up reading it later this morning if you send it tonight (It's already after 1:00AM Eastern Time) and I gotta try to help a buddy out and then get some SLEEP!
    OH and RUNNING BARE -y'all have TWO E-MAILS FROM ME!
    So good night you all -hope you all have a GREAT EVENING/EARLY MORNING and that I get the chance to see you all down the road.

    Good night, all!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Running Bare said...
    I am not a number, I am a free man!


    Down, Rover!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  78. PBJ, it rhymes with floor, door, more, roar...

    ReplyDelete
  79. I'll deal with those emails in the morning, 6p00e55005f9c78834. :)

    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  80. Sigh. OK Running Bare, I guess my responses will have to wait.
    Shit.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  81. 6p00e55005f9c78834 said...
    Correspondence Committee - Oh Yeah? well try saying it fast three times, then tell me how you feel about it!!


    Actually, if you sing it to the tune of "Witch Doctor", it's kind of catchy:

    "He said realwest could not be identified,
    and I found out, it was from Pi Guy,
    he said:

    6-p00,
    e-five-five,
    oh-oh,
    five-eff-nine-cee,
    seven-eight,
    eight-three-four
    with a realwest at the link!"

    ReplyDelete
  82. Good night all...time to hit the sack.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Pi Guy, I think you're gettin' it

    "6-p00,
    e-five-five,
    oh-oh,
    five-eff-nine-cee,
    seven-eight,
    eight-three-four
    with a realwest at the link!"

    LOL I've been goofing off over on facebook and answering e-mails.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Hi PBJ, I'm here too. So realwest's been hijacked, I see. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  85. Hi Pink, I'm not here long. Poor RW. He needs to get the handicapped google like I have......seriously I have the little handicapped symbol when I post and have to remember the little word. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  86. Hopefully we'll be in the new place soon and none of that will matter anymore. Google's way too bossy.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Can't wait for the new place.

    I'd better call it a day. 'Nite, Pink, Pi Guy and whomever is still here. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  88. I want a big long number name like that.

    I think I'll be 0077of912242012. : )

    ReplyDelete
  89. Goodnight, all! I'd better hit the hay.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Goodnight, Pi Guy! Sweet dreams, see you tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  91. Shouldn't someone be here?

    Bueller?

    /INSOMNIACS R US

    ReplyDelete
  92. Here ya go, have some Krauthammer, hot off the press:

    DOES HE LIE?

    ReplyDelete
  93. ..and Victor Davis Hanson, too:

    Obama's Madness

    Obama's problem is more fundamental than his healthcare mess. He campaigned on a no more red state/blue state, white/black, rich/poor polarity, and offered a sort of transcendence that was used to make up for his prior dubious relationships with the likes of Reverend Wright and Bill Ayers.

    When governing, his supporters liked to think that he would have to rein in extremists like Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid to gravitate to the center and work in "bipartisan fashion." But that was never in the cards. The problem is that beneath Obama's hope-and-change veneer, his past legislative and vocal record (cf. his Senate partisanship, his statements in his memoirs, his spread-the-wealth, clingers, typical-white-person gaffes, his talk of single-payer healthcare and reparations, etc) were hard left, left even of Pelosi and Reid. The Van Jones appointment was logical, not an aberration. So to save his presidency, since the hope-and-change hocus-pocus has become old and trite, Obama would have to become an un-Obama, and do a 1995 Clinton switcheroo.

    We have elected the most left-wing president in our history, apparently to many an unappreciated fact given the Bush unpopularity, the wars, the so-so McCain candidacy, and the September 2008 meltdown, but one that now, through a variety of minor and major incidents (from the apologies abroad and the cap-and-trade zealotry to the Gates incident to Van Jones), is being revealed to the American people — and they are not comfortable with it...

    ReplyDelete
  94. Boy, that's for sure. 'Not comfortable' is an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  95. C2, will we have the ability to post links at some central area at the new place?

    ReplyDelete
  96. If I understand what it is you're seeking, and I think I do, the answer is yes. He already did that, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  97. And where is your avatar, young lady!? Do I have to snag you the one that's on your t-shirt?

    ReplyDelete
  98. Hahaha! I would love that! Yes!

    I am very partial to my lil fleur de lis, but I think it's time for something new.

    ReplyDelete

By submitting your comments, you agree that you alone are responsible for their content. We reserve the right to remove comments we deem offensive or inappropriate, at our discretion. Disparaging remarks about other online communities, or their members, should be made elsewhere if you are so inclined. Finally, comments made below will be subject to public viewing.