
Highlights of this day in history: The Battle of Antietam sets a bloody record during America's Civil War; Work ends on U.S. Constitution; Israel and Egypt's leaders sign Camp David Accords; Singer Hank Williams born; 'MASH' premieres.
Other notable September 17th events include:
1630 – The city of Boston, Massachusetts is founded.
1683 – Antonie van Leeuwenhoek writes a letter to the Royal Society describing "animalcules": the first known description of protozoa.
1814 – Francis Scott Key finishes his poem The Star-Spangled Banner.
1859 – Joshua A. Norton declares himself Emperor Norton I of the United States.
1908 – The Wright Flyer flown by Orville Wright, with Lieutenant Thomas Selfridge as passenger, crashes killing Selfridge. He becomes the first airplane fatality.
1920 – The National Football League is organized in Canton, Ohio, United States.
1956 – Television is first broadcast in Australia.
1976 – The first Space Shuttle, Enterprise, is unveiled by NASA.
1983 – Vanessa Williams becomes the first black Miss America.
2001 – The New York Stock Exchange reopens for trading after the September 11 Attacks, the longest closure since the Great Depression.
2007 – AOL, once the largest ISP in the U.S., officially announces plans to refocus the company as an advertising business and to relocate its corporate headquarters from Dulles, Virginia to New York, New York.
And today 9-16-2009 ETR gets a FIRST. :)))
ReplyDeleteAnd it's Constitution Day. Geez. The day the Constitution of the United States was signed by the founders.
ReplyDelete1859 – Joshua A. Norton declares himself Emperor Norton I of the United States.
ReplyDeleteLOL, must have been Obamas' great-grandfather.
LOL, must have been Obamas' great-grandfather.
ReplyDeletePoor guy. Got soaked in the Peruvian Rice market. A shame, really. He had some good ideas. LOL
And it's Constitution Day. Geez. The day the Constitution of the United States was signed by the founders
ReplyDeleteWhat better day to re-read it.
I think I might just.
Good Night C2ers. Posting will be scarce the next two days. I am doing the theme parks with the family. I will be around in the evening though.
ReplyDeleteHey Bare, we should have put something up about that! [HITS SELF IN HEAD.]
ReplyDeleteI like that NFL one too.
Bonus question: Who knows what name was worn on the jerseys of the team now known as the Green Bay Packers in 1920? Hint: Road Runner.
ETR, you rock! See you soon!
ReplyDeleteToday in the GWOT
ReplyDelete1189 Siege of Acre: Crusaders defeat an Ayyubid assault
Hey, I like that RB.
ReplyDeleteHow can you go wrong with History?
Happy Constitution Day tomorrow.
Hasta maƱana mis amigos.
Poor guy. Got soaked in the Peruvian Rice market. A shame, really. He had some good ideas. LOL
ReplyDeleteRiceist !
Erik, you and family be safe out there and have some fun! I'm so glad you guys are back here, and together, and getting settled in.
ReplyDeleteGoodnight!
Nite, ETR.
ReplyDeleteHave fun tomorrow.
sasquatchonsteroids said...
ReplyDeleteA moldy old document by dead white guys many who owned slaves which is flawed by not including positive rights for what government can do for you.
//
Bonus question: Who knows what name was worn on the jerseys of the team now known as the Green Bay Packers in 1920? Hint: Road Runner.
ReplyDeleteUmmmm.....ACME ?
I wonder what the average high school student thinks of the U.S. Constitution these days.
ReplyDeleteSQUATCH WINS THE PACKER JERSEY!!!
ReplyDeleteErrrr...maybe you don't want it though. : )
A moldy old document by dead white guys many who owned slaves which is flawed by not including positive rights for what government can do for you.
ReplyDeleteWell, we'll just see about that mister.
/lib out
Bonus question: Who knows what name was worn on the jerseys of the team now known as the Green Bay Packers in 1920? Hint: Road Runner.
ReplyDeleteMEEP MEEP?
Weird.
Yeah, MEEP MEEP.
ReplyDeleteMEEP MEEP PACKERS.
SWAT!
Errrr...maybe you don't want it though. : )
ReplyDeleteI'll gladly donate it to a Lions' fan.
MEEP MEEP?
ReplyDeleteWeird.
ROTFL.
Good night, good people of C2.
ReplyDeleteSee you in the AM.
Well, later in the AM
Squatch, good night - always great to see you.
ReplyDeleteToday's sunset over the Hood Canal and Olympic Mountains.
ReplyDeleteRunning Bare said...
ReplyDeleteAnd it's Constitution Day. Geez. The day the Constitution of the United States was signed by the founders.
Apparently, the left has a new name for conservatives who believe in local control. They're calling anyone who supports the 10th amendment a tenther
Their cleverness never ceases to amaze me.
G'nite squatch. I'' be dragging in later too. See you then!
ReplyDeleteThat's nice, JCM. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteA tenther, huh? I thought you were kidding, so I Googled it.
ReplyDeleteGood grief.
Wendya: They're still at the bathroom humor stage, too. At least we know they're good at something.
ReplyDeleteThey're still at the bathroom humor stage, too. At least we know they're good at something.
ReplyDelete*quickly erases planned comment that included a fart joke*
Darn.
A tenther, huh? I thought you were kidding, so I Googled it.
ReplyDeleteI was accused of being a tenther. I responded, what... next time are you going to call me a constitutioner?
Somewhere along the line they decided that mockery was some great powerful weapon. They just haven't yet figured out how to do both that AND run the country.
ReplyDeleteHahaha Bare! Damn, have I ruined all of your fun!?
ReplyDeleteAnd they're not even good at it. They aren't even remotely subtle and they haven't gotten past that teenage snark stage of their development.
ReplyDeleteSomewhere along the line they decided that mockery was some great powerful weapon. They just haven't yet figured out how to do both that AND run the country.
ReplyDeleteIt's like there was really no election - the liberals just snuck into the Bush's private quarters at the White House, and the boys put on his suits, the girls put on Laura's clothes, and they are running around the place pretending...
I am a Constitutioner!
ReplyDeleteI am a Constitutioner!
ReplyDeleteMe, too. I didn't always know I was, until one day I woke up broke, on the street, covered in filth, having lost my job, my family, my home, everything. I didn't realize how far down I had fallen. I never saw that I had a porblem. I always knew I could quit whenever I wanted to.
But admiting I had a problem was the first step on my long road to recovery. So I now stand before you, and proudly say, 'My name is Running Bare, and I'm a constitutionaholic.'
And they're not even good at it. They aren't even remotely subtle and they haven't gotten past that teenage snark stage of their development.
ReplyDeleteBut they think themselves so clever. What's really weird is seeing this come from professors in their 40's and 50's.
Arrested development.
ReplyDeleteWhat's really weird is seeing this come from professors in their 40's and 50's.
ReplyDeleteIf there is one thing I can't stand, it's someone of mediocre intelligence who believes they are the smartest person in the room.
If there is one thing I can't stand, it's someone of mediocre intelligence who believes they are the smartest person in the room.
ReplyDelete:( Fine. I'll just go, then. :(
He bare - y'all don't have to leave, I'm here now!
ReplyDeleteUh, waitaminute that's not exactly what I meant
;)
LOL you guys. I don't think you're who she had in mind!
ReplyDeleteI'd go, but I know she can't be talking about me because I know I'm not the smartest person in the room.
If there is one thing I can't stand, it's someone of mediocre intelligence who believes they are the smartest person in the room.
ReplyDeleteEspecially when part of their definition of intelligence includes their (self-perceived) ability to chop others off at the knees.
Hey Pink "If there is one thing I can't stand, it's someone of mediocre intelligence who believes they are the smartest person in the room" I take it you've never been to a meeting of a University Faculty then, have you?
ReplyDeleteTalk about dithering idiots trying to prove to the rest of us how smart they are!
Uh oh. Did I kill the thread?
ReplyDeleteI know all about those dithering idiots, Real. And their 'Impeach Bush' signs still all tacked up in their offices, alongside their pics of Guevera.
ReplyDeleteUM, Pink - I don't think so! But has the Committee put up yet another thread tonight?!
ReplyDeleteMaybe that's where everyone's at!
Well, except for us.
I take it you've never been to a meeting of a University Faculty then, have you?
ReplyDeleteAny meeting where issues are decided by consensus. I just want to stand up and shout... will someone, anyone, PLEASE make a freaking decision?
I think the next one that will go up will be fruit cup, realwest...at least that I'm aware of.
ReplyDeleteYou never know though. : )
Yeah, well Che was NOT the "hero" the LEFTY'S made him out to be. Not only was he a mass murderer, but he went to Bolivia with about 120 of his superbly honed warriors, to get the people on the side of the Revolucion. Trouble was none of the villagers wanted La Revolutione, and the Bolivian government tried to find Che and his band of Merry Men (who were in fact nearly starving, see villagers and populace not supporting the Revolution above) and ONE U.S. Army Special Forces A Team (12 guys) went into Bolivia - a country they'd never been in before, tracked Che down in 4 days and arrested him. Then almost started a US Bolivian War, cause the Colonel leading the "elite" *cough* 200 Bolivian Rangers who'd been chasing Che walked into the room where Che was lying on his cot, CHAINED TO THE CONCRTE FLOOR and proceeded to hose Che with aobut 20 7.62mm bullets. This so engraged our Special Forces A team that, but for the Captain leading the team, they were MORE THAN READY to take on all 200 Bolivian Rangers RIGHT THERE AND THEN.
ReplyDeleteRealwest:
ReplyDeleteOH YEAH? Well we'll just have to ask Howard Zinn about that
/another of my pet peeves
I would venture to say that most people who have pics up of Guevera know little more than that it's cool to like him and it looks good on their facebook page.
ReplyDeleteHi Wendy! Well actually that depends. Our Consitution was the result of negotiation and compromise and could in fact have been said to have been reached by consensus almost. They also adopted the first 10 amendments to the Constitution as a consensus way of getting the Constitution adopted.
ReplyDeleteBTW, IMO, the Bill of Rights is the finest political document ever written. And, iirc, the USA is the only nation that has our Bill of Rights. Some others have something they call a Bill of Rights but their Bill of Rights can't begin to match the protection of the freedoms guaranteed by ours.
I truly thank God for our Founding Fathers.
Hey Pink, tell ya what - you ask Howard Zinn and I'll ask the two Special Forces guys I served with in Panama who were on that "A" team that captured Che and we'll compare notes!
ReplyDeletePink Freud said...
ReplyDeleteThat's for damned sure. I doubt half of them even know who he is. Unless they're Obama campaign workers with a poster in their office. They probably know exactly which thug's picture they're displaying.
Well you youngin's much as I like to stay and chat and learn from y'all,I have to go to bed now.
ReplyDeleteHope you all have a great evening/early morning and that I get the chance to see you all down the road!
Good night, all.
Hey, realwest! Good night! Sleep well and we'll see you tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteThe deal is, Real, Zinn and his revisionist stuff is what our kids are learning.
ReplyDeleteI'm out for a bit, folks. Goodnight Real! I'll be around for fruitcup if I can stay awake. :-)
ReplyDeleteSee you in a bit, Pinkie!
ReplyDeleteGood morning from D (German) that is.
ReplyDelete:-)
Hey, Callahan! I'm still up...kinda. Nice to see you again. I think Pinkie will be here in a little bit again, too.
ReplyDeleteHi Callahan, C2 ...How are you guys?
ReplyDeleteHi CC 'n Pink.
ReplyDeleteCurrently I am sitting infront of my class and am dealing with unruly behaviour.
BBIAB
Good morning/evening/afternoon, all!
ReplyDeleteI'm here - I've just been working on the next today in history installment, and some other historical research, too.
Hey, Pi Guy! (Welcome back Pinkie!)
ReplyDeleteDid you see your introduction thread below? People are looking forward to your groovy new forum!
I saw that! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to the forum myself.
Interesting article over at Pajamas Media I'm reading right now:
ReplyDeleteWhy Are Liberals Still Angry?
Goodmorning Pi Guy and CC! :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm on hold, making hotel reservations in the middle of the night for an upcoming trip.
Upcoming trip?
ReplyDeleteYou're finally bringing out littleoldlady and Correspondence Committee to Las Vegas?
;)
I'm only coming down there if you promise to keep us out of trouble, Pi Guy. I won't be a problem, but I have a feeling Pinkie and littleoldlady will be a challenge. : )
ReplyDeleteAnother story with an interesting lesson:
ReplyDeleteBeware of strange men offering free health care
Nope, not Vegas ....but I betcha littleoldlady would be a piece of strudel!
ReplyDeleteI'm only coming down there if you promise to keep us out of trouble, Pi Guy. I won't be a problem, but I have a feeling Pinkie and littleoldlady will be a challenge. : )
ReplyDeleteWhy would I try and keep you out of Vegas? er, I mean, out of trouble?
(Oh, well, same thing)
So, Pi Guy ...I guess we have to figure out a way to make screechy and angry work for us (liberals being screechy and angry, I mean ...).
ReplyDeleteWherever I go, whatever happens...stays there.
ReplyDelete(Huh?)
Where's the coffee?!
Welcome, LOL!
ReplyDeleteCoffee is in the kitchen on the counter!
...with Dinah?
ReplyDeleteGood morning all! :-)
/I think
//a few minutes and I'll know for sure...
Shhhh! She's here!
ReplyDeleteI can officially say goodnight now, now that littleoldlady is here.
ReplyDeleteGoodnight everyone! See ya'll all tomorrow. :-)
...with Dinah?
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcPk1-UjHKQ
G'Night, Pink!
ReplyDelete'Night, Pink! :-)
ReplyDelete/like sheeps in the night...
Quick, who can tell me the name of the song whose lyrics contain, "Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah . . ."
ReplyDeletePi Guy,
ReplyDeleteOh! I think I had one of those...made out of a cereal box. ;-)
LOL, did you see the "cutest sports play" video I sent?
ReplyDeleteIt was a Phillies game, and we haven't missed too many of them here (on TV).
ReplyDeleteI think I actually saw it in real time. :-)
50% of the world probably wished they had a husband or dad like that guy when they saw that clip. Very cute and very special.
Okay, I've determined there's not enough coffee in the world that would allow me to access that part of the memory banks.
ReplyDeleteWhat IS the name of the song? I'm pretty sure the "kitchen with Dinah" part comes in the middle of something that sounds totally different, but all I can come up with is "Oh Suzanna."
You're going to kick yourself . . .
ReplyDelete. . . are you ready? . . .
ReplyDeleteIt's . . .
ReplyDelete. . . "I've Been Working on the Railroad"!
ReplyDeleteNo kewpie doll for me. :-(
ReplyDelete/like sheeps in the night...
ReplyDeleteThat reminds me, I have a new recipe I'm contributing to a certain cookbook. It's basically a shish kebab on toast.
I call it "shish on a shingle".
;)
Shish kebab on toast?! Do you spear the bread along with everything else?
ReplyDeleteShish in a shingle! LOL!
/sheesh ;-)
"like sheeps in the night" was an Archie Bunker line.
ReplyDelete/I know you know that, but somebody might be lurking and I want to appear smart ;-)
I'm looking for music to go along with your history tidbits, Pi Guy.
ReplyDeleteWasn't there a song called "You got mail!" ? ;-)
Don't you think bread needs spears?
ReplyDeleteI often doubt Britney Spears thinks.
;)
"like sheeps in the night" was an Archie Bunker line.
ReplyDelete/I know you know that, but somebody might be lurking and I want to appear smart ;-)
I guess I should clear up that "shish on a shingle" is an old "Aunt Flabby" line from Johnny Carson.
I'm looking for music to go along with your history tidbits, Pi Guy.
ReplyDeleteWasn't there a song called "You got mail!" ? ;-)
I know there was a movie called that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCetfaS7GAo
It was like Sleepless in Seattle, but with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan (Oh, wait...)
Heh.
ReplyDeleteAlmost time for fruitcup. I'll find music for that, since I'll be spending a couple of hours - at least - typing to myself. ;-)
Was our timing better tonight? What time did this thread go up?
This went up at 11:00PM your time, 8:00 PM my time.
ReplyDeleteMore people seem to see it that way.
Besides, I had an entire other thread dedicated to me, so it's probably your turn to shine!
Shining in the dark! LOL!
ReplyDelete/fitting, actually...
The good thing about fruitcup on blogspot is that the timing is SO OFF I could be 15 minutes late and it would show up at 2 am.
ReplyDeleteThat's the ONLY good thing, btw.
Shining in the dark! LOL!
ReplyDelete/fitting, actually...
Yes, shining in the dark.
Isn't that what stars do?
Awwww.:-)
ReplyDeleteLet me go into the kitchen (with Dinah) and make fruitcup. See you upstairs!