Saturday, September 26, 2009

Today in History: September 27th



Click here to see History.com's September 27th video


Highlights of this day in history: Polish WWII Resistance fighters surrender to German and Soviet troops. Glenn Miller leads his last orchestra as a civilian. Taliban fighters take control of Kabul. John Adams named America's sole representative to British peace negotiations.

Other notable September 27th events include:

1590 – Pope Urban VII dies 13 days after being chosen as the Pope, making his reign the shortest papacy in history.

1777 – Lancaster, Pennsylvania is the capital of the United States, for one day.

1821 – Mexico gains its independence from Spain.

1822 – Jean-François Champollion announces that he has deciphered the Rosetta stone.

1908 – The first production of the Ford Model T automobile was built at the Piquette Plant in Detroit, Michigan.

1954 – The nationwide debut of Tonight! (Later known as The Tonight Show) hosted by Steve Allen on NBC.

1964 – The Warren Commission releases its report, concluding that Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone, assassinated President John F. Kennedy.

1968 – The stage musical Hair opened at the Shaftesbury Theatre in London, where it played 1,998 performances until its closure was forced by the roof's collapsing in July 1973.

1979 – The United States Department of Education receives final approval from the U.S. Congress to become the 13th US Cabinet agency.

1995 – The Government of the United States unveils the first of its redesigned bank notes with the $100 bill featuring a larger portrait of Benjamin Franklin slightly off-center.

16 comments:

  1. OK now it is time for me to go to bed.

    BTW FIRST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here ETR.

    Nite all.
    See you in the AM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good night all. Time to hit the rack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodnight, Erik!

    Goodnighjt, Squatch!

    Sleep well.

    Hi everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. /dropping like flies!

    Goodnight, Truck Monkey! See you tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink, my head has almost hit the keyboard twice and I have just about fallen off my chair. I have two sips/gulps of scotch left and then I am going to diggle up to my beautiful wife. (once I kick my kids back to their beds) :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erik, my man ...that sounds like a PLAN. :-)

    Nite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice, JCM. Halfway through the weekend ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bar fly Pink. Hanging in for now,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, Jorline! I like the company, and yours is always nice. How's everything with you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erik The Red said...

    I am going to diggle up to my beautiful wife. (once I kick my kids back to their beds.

    Three Cheers for ETR!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jorline, Bare's opened up a new pub thread upstairs. Want to head up there with me in case we get some company?

    ReplyDelete
  13. (Yeah, I liked that little word too, but I wasn't going to ask ...LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm peachy Pink. How about you?

    Anyone tell you how sweet you are?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes, Jorline, I do hear that, yes. Thank you for saying so; you're a mighty nice person yourself. :-)

    We're lucky to have you here with the opening group. Lots of great people ...

    ReplyDelete