
Highlights of this day in history: Patricia Hearst gets prison time; Author F. Scott Fitzgerald born; '60 Minutes' premieres; Baseball's Dodgers play last Brooklyn game; Muppets creator Jim Henson born; Children's author Dr. Seuss dies.
Other notable September 24th events include:
622 – Prophet Muhammad completes his hegira from Mecca to Medina.
1780 – Benedict Arnold flees to British Army lines after his plot to surrender West Point is exposed by the arrest of British Major John AndrĂ©.
1869 – "Black Friday": Gold prices plummet after Ulysses S. Grant orders the Treasury to sell large quantities of gold after Jay Gould and James Fisk plot to control the market.
1890 – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints officially renounces polygamy.
1906 – U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt proclaims Devils Tower in Wyoming as the nation's first National Monument.
1948 – The Honda Motor Company is founded.
1968 – 60 Minutes debuts on CBS.
1990 – Periodic Great White Spot observed on Saturn.
1996 – U.S. President Bill Clinton signs the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty at the United Nations.
Hi Pi Guy! Even bar wenches need a little history now and again.
ReplyDeleteWhere is everybody?
Hey BW. Is there any scotch left. I am ready for my usual now. In fact make it a double please.
ReplyDeleteBar Wench,
ReplyDeleteHere! What was in that last special you served me?
WAAH!
They're torturing me, Zelaya claims
Honduras' fallen leader told The Miami Herald he is being subjected to mind-altering gas and radiation -- and that `Israeli mercenaries' are planning to assassinate him.
Hi Wench, Erik. Sure is quiet in here.
ReplyDeleteWe aren't serving any hooch here in the library, Erik, but there might be a bottle hidden outside behind the bushes to the left of the back door.
ReplyDeleteHi Wench, Erik. Sure is quiet in here.
ReplyDeleteHey pink. Maybe everyone stepped outside for a fag. I am close to 3 months smoke free now, so I have been left alone with BW. :))))
JCM, you'll have to share it with Erik. The pub is closed.
ReplyDeleteThat reminds me that I need my beauty sleep. Take care folks. See ya tomorrow about five.
Honduras' fallen leader told The Miami Herald he is being subjected to mind-altering gas and radiation -- and that `Israeli mercenaries' are planning to assassinate him.
ReplyDeleteCool.
Psssst, Erik! Over in Toltec section.
ReplyDelete622 – Prophet Muhammad completes his hegira from Mecca to Medina.
ReplyDelete/and then the trouble started
Take care folks. See ya tomorrow about five.
ReplyDeleteGoodnight BW. Add some left over hooch to the fruitcup. :))))
JCM said...
ReplyDeletePsssst, Erik! Over in Toltec section.
Good man JCM, thanks.
So Benedict Arnold wasn't even trusted by the British after that, right? Or am I mixing up my traitors?
ReplyDeleteGood night, Brandy! Good job!
ReplyDeleteOnce a traitor........
ReplyDeleteBIG congrats for your three months smoke free Erik! That's fantastic!
ReplyDeletePink Freud said...
ReplyDeleteBIG congrats for your three months smoke free Erik! That's fantastic!
Thanks pink. I must say this time around has been relatively easy. I am starting to taste things better and my sense of smell has improved. I have picked up some weight(which I can't afford to do) but I will deal with that. I think some of the weight increase is because I have been less active since I got back to the US. That will change once I start working though. :)))
Knock, knock. Is anybody here?
ReplyDeleteHey Hi y'all - hope you're all doing well tonight! I'm afraid my right arm and shoulder are killing me - probably from either posting too much and having too much fun today (especially on the Fruit cup thread!) or I pulled a muscle or something. But my time here tonight is gonna be limited!
ReplyDeleteAnd HEY Correspondence Committee - LOVE the avatar!
And love C2 totally!
PBJ said...
ReplyDeleteKnock, knock. Is anybody here?
Who's there?
Real!
ReplyDeleteYou see the Zelaya whine up thread?
The Juice are out to get him!
BWAHAHAHAHA!
Sorry to hear about your shoulder, RW. Do you have a heating pad or anything?
ReplyDeleteI'm just getting over a pulled shoulder muscle I like heat. But my wife the Physical Terrorist insists on ice.
ReplyDeleteHey JCM - NO, what Zelaya whine - where?
ReplyDeleteHey PBJ - no if anything I should ice it but I'm already taking so much Ultra strong pain meds as it is, I'm surprised I can see it. Just won't be on the computer so much tomorrow (have chores to do anyway) and maybe that'll help!
But THANK YOU for your concern.
WAAH!
ReplyDeleteThey're torturing me, Zelaya claims
Honduras' fallen leader told The Miami Herald he is being subjected to mind-altering gas and radiation -- and that `Israeli mercenaries' are planning to assassinate him.
JCM - He is in the Brazilian Embassy, no? And he claims that - without saying how - "his throat is sore from toxic gases and ``Israeli mercenaries'' are torturing him with high-frequency radiation." ?
ReplyDeleteWhat? Somewhere I just know that Alex Jones is getting all hot and bothered about this.
Zeyala is off his effin' rocker.
Real,
ReplyDeleteMaybe Z-man and Dinnerjacket should get together and compare notes.
JCM,
ReplyDeleteZeyala and Obama can be presidents forever.
///
We love you back, realwest!!!
ReplyDeleteIn the Brazilian embassy being tortured remotely by the Mossad.
ReplyDeletePhysical Terrorist - very good! LOL
ReplyDeleteJCM said...
ReplyDeleteIn the Brazilian embassy being tortured remotely by the Mossad.
/with the candlestick
Meanwhile, back on the ranch THESE developments need to be DISCLOSED more and discussed a LOT MORE:
ReplyDeleteA. The Senate Finance Committee voted to NOT put the new Health Care Bill on-line for 72 hours before putting it up for a vote in the Senate, because the 72 hour online was requested by the GOP - as "it's just a delaying tactic" - so ONCE AGAIN our effin' CONGRESS is gonna vote for a bill without having time to read it or time for possible opponents of the bill to read it.
Oh - Look, Zeyala is being tortured!!!
B. ACORN STUPIDLY sued Breitbart over his coverage of tapes he never made, just put up on-line, thereby leaving ACORN open to a countersuit and DISCOVERY PROCESS - ACORN'S gonna have to open their books and records my friends! Oh - look, Obama is talking to the U.N.!!
C. AARP is not only donating HEAVILY to the Dems, but private insurance companies not affiliated or contracted to AARP will have to eat up to 80% of the cost or reducing drugs for folks on Medicare, but the AARP drug backed company will only have to eat 65% of it. Oh Look Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA) is distancing himself from ACORN!!!
D)The Census Bureau is chopping off ACORN - will NOT allow ACORN to participate in the Census. Oh - look, some poor man was killed in Clay county Mo. (or committed suicide)and he was a VERY part time census taker!!!
To paraphrase that great liar Rahm Emmanuel:Never let a good crisis go to waste.
Oh and yeah, ACORN and the IRS are in some kinda flap too.
The HEALTH CARE BILL NOT BEING ALLOWED TO BE SEEN BY THE PUBLIC (let alone Senators) which will affect 16% or so of our economy IS THE STORY AND THE ONLY DAMNED STORY WE SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON.
LOL Colonel Mustard is in the Mossad? Who knew?
ReplyDeleteExcellent Real, Excellent!
ReplyDeleteLater C2ers. See you all in the morning.
ReplyDeleteI agree. What is this crap about the health plan not going online for all to see. That's ridiculous. Frankly, seventy-two hours isn't nearly long enough but we're not to see it at all??!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks JCM - but I think my arm is also tired not from having fun with y'all, but from the e-mails I sent to ALL the Democratic Senators on the Senate Finance Committe (except for the one who voted WITH the GOP to require a 72 hour time period to have the Health Care Bill put up on line for folks to read it); my e-mails were polite and made it clear that those who voted to HIDE THIS BILL AWAY FROM THE PEOPLE WILL BE DISCLOSED TO EVERY SINGLE VOTER I COULD REACH AND EVERYONE THAT THEY COULD REACH and would say "The US Senate Finance committee doesn't want the US Voters to be able to at least TRY to read the Health Care Reform bill; do they work FOR us - or as appears to be the case, AGAINST the US Voter?
ReplyDeleteLater, Erik, have a great day tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteReal,
ReplyDeleteUs kulaks down on the farm should just be thankful the commissars take such good care of use.
See you, ETR!
ReplyDeleteLoved that last post, realwest. Maybe we need to make you write around here. ; )
ReplyDeleteCC,
ReplyDeleteHere, here.
I'll second that, CC, it was an excellent post.
ReplyDeleteAnd you too! : ) (Thrilled to have you aboard, JCM. It's great.)
ReplyDeleteCC,
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to it, just hope I can add to what's already a good thing.
Democrats will create the most open and honest government in history, and put power back where it belongs – in the hands of all the people.
ReplyDelete- Nancy Pelosi
Following up on Real's post.
ReplyDeleteDemocrats nix putting pre-vote health bill online
WASHINGTON — Senate Finance Committee Democrats have rejected a GOP amendment that would have required a health overhaul bill to be available online for 72 hours before the committee votes.
Republicans argued that transparency is an Obama administration goal. They also noted that their constituents are demanding that they read bills before voting.
Democrats said it was a delay tactic that could have postponed a vote for weeks.
The Democrats noted that unlike other committees, the Finance Committee works off conceptual language that describes policies — instead of legislative language that ultimately becomes law, and which the GOP amendment would have required.
Democrats accepted an alternate amendment to make conceptual language available online before a vote.
Bait and switch.
JCM - FUCK IT. Those Senators - even the DEMOCRATIC SENATORS - work for their consituncies - the US VOTERS. We all (many very reluctantly, to say the least) went along with the hurry up and pass the Stimulus Bill even though everyone admitted they hadn't read it.because EVERYONE said the situation was URGENT.
ReplyDeleteNOW, however, SERIOUSLY, how can Health Care Reform be hurt by being delayed for 72 hours so that We, The American People, and our elected officials, can READ IT?!? HMMM? It CAN'T BE unless there's some bullshit in it that WILL harm Americans and the DEMOCRATS DON'T WANT THE PUBLIC TO KNOW THAT.
Oh and the Mass legislature just did a 180 degree turn on legislation pushed in Mass. by the late Senator Kennedy, to hold an election to replace a US Senator from Mass. such election to take place not less than four months after said Senator passed away and TODAY, the Mass legislature said "oh, ha, ha, ha, we didn't MEAN IT, and gave the DEMOCRATIC Govenor of Mass. Deval Patrick the right to appoint a replacement US Senator so that THIS TIME at least, the DEMOCRATS will have a FILLIBUSTER PROOF MAJORITY OF 60 VOTES.
That approach which the DEMOCRATIC PARTY is taking is absolutely unprecedented because the DEMOCRATS ARE SAYING "FUCK YOU" to the AMERICAN CITZENS FOR WHOM THEY WORK AND INSTEAD ARE SAYING: "Just get out of our way, WE know what's best for you, WE don't need and certainly don't WANT any input from the Citizens of this Nation.
Y'all won't read it that way in your papers or magazines and, except for FOX NEWS you'll never hear of it that way by MSNBC, ABC, CBS or CNN. But you can hear it out here on our blog, Correspondence Committee, because we are dedicated to the principles of democracy and the rule of law.
You mean Nancy Pelosi lied?
ReplyDeleteI'm shocked!
Finance Committee Members.
ReplyDeleteDemocrats
MAX BAUCUS, MT
JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER IV, WV
KENT CONRAD, ND
JEFF BINGAMAN, NM
JOHN F. KERRY, MA
BLANCHE L. LINCOLN, AR
RON WYDEN, OR
CHARLES E. SCHUMER, NY
DEBBIE STABENOW, MI
MARIA CANTWELL, WA
BILL NELSON, FL
ROBERT MENENDEZ, NJ
THOMAS CARPER, DE
Republicans
CHUCK GRASSLEY, IA
ORRIN G. HATCH, UT
OLYMPIA J. SNOWE, ME
JON KYL, AZ
JIM BUNNING, KY
MIKE CRAPO, ID
PAT ROBERTS, KS
JOHN ENSIGN, NV
MIKE ENZI, WY
JOHN CORNYN, TX
If yours is on the list.
WRITE.
Real,
ReplyDeleteThat deserves a Standing O.
CC,
I think we need a hall of fame or somethin'
And,now that my arm is about to drop off, I must go to sleep. The OUTRAGE I've expressed out here tonight is absolutely real, however, and I hope y'all will join with me to fight to preserve our hard won and hard earned and retained rights as American citizens.
ReplyDeleteBut the battle must alas wait - for me, NOT FOR ALL OF YOU - until tomorrow as my meds are kicking in and I must sleep.
But I have to be a "politician" here and always leave you laughing: http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2009/09/23/
I hope you all have a great evening/early morning, and that I get the chance to see you all down the road.
Good night, all.
Good night Real!
ReplyDeleteThank you.
None of mine are there (CA). Maybe I will write to them anyway, tell them I'm a frequent visitor to their "fair state" and I feel strongly that the people need at least two weeks to peruse the medical plan....maybe send ten bucks to a few of them. LOL It's worth a try.
ReplyDeleteTake care, RW, and feel better.
ReplyDelete"weet dreams.
I agree, JCM.
ReplyDeleteExcellent rants tonight, realwest - sleep well and we'll see you tomorrow.
From Paul at Powerline, in it's entirety:
ReplyDeleteObama takes the supplication of America to a disgusting new level
Conservative commentary on President Obama's U.N. speech has correctly taken note of the extent to which Obama once again has apologized for America. What struck me as new, though, was extent to which he begged his audience to award the U.S. brownie points for his good acts. The one form of supplication follows from the other. Obama isn't just saying that the U.S. has been a bad boy in the past; he's also saying that we're a good boy now:
We know the future will be forged by deeds and not simply words. Speeches alone will not solve our problems -- it will take persistent action. For those who question the character and cause of my nation, I ask you to look at the concrete actions we have taken in just nine months.
Obama then listed a series of decisions that he hoped might placate the assembled thugs, dictators, and hypcrites -- a crowd from which he feels compelled to seek approval on behalf of the United States. Obama noted that he has banned torture, closed Gitmo, moved to end the war in Iraq, moved towards disarmament, attempted to advance the ball on creating a Palestinian state, "re-engaged the United Nations, paid our bills, joined the Human Rights Council."
So here was the president of the United States doing everything but getting down on his hands and knees before the representatives of every wretched regime in the world to plead that the U.S. has turned over a new leaf and, in effect, become harmelss.
Does Obama believe that anything positive will come of this stomach-turning spectacle. Or does he just like to bask in the glow of applause for the proposition that the U.S. was a pretty rotten place until he assumed control, without worrying about who it is that's applauding?
Obama is like any typical liberal in that regard, Pinkie.
ReplyDeleteThey all need shrinks, frankly.
They all need shrinks, frankly.
ReplyDeleteWaaaaaay above my pay grade, C2.
Goodmorning!
Here's the feel-good story of the day, C2:
ReplyDeleteTwo Cheers for Andrew Breitbart
"Sometimes it takes an outsider to show the press corps the way."
Insomnimaniacs 'R Us™
ReplyDeleteLittleoldlady!
ReplyDeleteYou betcha!
Goodmorning! How're you?
"Sometimes it takes an outsider to show the press corps the way."
ReplyDeleteThat's for damned sure.
I'm UP! :-) How's by you, Pink? Burning the midnight++ oil?
ReplyDeleteAND CC! :-)
ReplyDeleteLadies of the night...
/meant only in the BEST way, of course! ;-)
Just hanging out here with C2, LoL ....catching up on the latest scandals and antics of our chosen few and their cronies up on the hill.
ReplyDeleteWell...NO WONDER none of us sleep! :-/
ReplyDeleteLadies, I *think* I am going to get some sleep. Goodnight to both of you, I'll see you tomorrow! :-)
ReplyDelete'Night, Pink! :-)
ReplyDelete/it's already tomorrow here...
Yawn ... stretch ... hey all ya'll sleepy heads ... wake up ... must get coffee ... dang ... getting downstairs is getting harder and harder ... old age ... yikes! ...
ReplyDeleteMy Sweet Lord ...
brb ...
Ziggy! We're upstairs! ↑ :-)
ReplyDelete