
Highlights of this day in history: JFK and Nixon participate in TV's first presidential debate; Cuba ends Mariel boatlift; Composer George Gershwin, poet T.S. Eliot and tennis star Serena Williams born; 'West Side Story' hits Broadway.
Other notable September 26th events include:
1580 – Sir Francis Drake finishes his circumnavigation of the Earth.
1687 – The Parthenon in Athens is partially destroyed by an explosion caused by the bombing from Venetian forces led by Morosini who are besieging the Ottoman Turks stationed in Athens.
1789 – Thomas Jefferson is appointed the first United States Secretary of State, John Jay is appointed the first Chief Justice of the United States, Samuel Osgood is appointed the first United States Postmaster General, and Edmund Randolph is appointed the first United States Attorney General.
1872 – The first Shriners Temple (called Mecca) is established in New York City.
1908 – Ed Reulbach becomes the first and only pitcher to throw two shutouts in one day against the Brooklyn Dodgers.
1914 – The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is established by the Federal Trade Commission Act.
1960 – Fidel Castro announces Cuba's support for the USSR.
1973 – Concorde makes its first non-stop crossing of the Atlantic in record-breaking time.
1981 – Nolan Ryan sets a Major League record by throwing his fifth no-hitter.
1983 – Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov averts a worldwide nuclear war.
Hey everyone, I have brought some booze upstairs.
ReplyDelete1580 – Sir Francis Drake finishes his circumnavigation of the Earth.
ReplyDelete1581- Sir Dylan Avery says that circumnavigation was an inside job. Filmed in a sound studeo
w00t!1!1!! History rocks...
ReplyDeleteEtR: shhhhh, they might take it away from us....
ReplyDelete/surreptitiously hides his bottle of rum
They're working on taking away our history from us too, Phil.
ReplyDelete1960 – Fidel Castro announces Cuba's support for the USSR.
ReplyDelete2008 – Fidel Castro announces Fidel Castro's support for Barack Obama
I have a Nolan Ryan rookie card. It is in ok shape. Had to prevent my nephew from walking out of here with it. I plan on passing the whole collection to my son.
ReplyDelete1981 – Nolan Ryan sets a Major League record by throwing his fifth no-hitter
ReplyDelete1991 - Shug is at Arlington Stadium and sees Nolan Ryan Toss his 7th No hitter.
Pink: They will never get my library.
ReplyDelete/from my cold dead hands/brain
Good Night C2ers. As usual, it has been great. I will be scarce this weekend. Late night only. Stay sane.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can keep up with the influx of new people CC. :)))
'Nite Erik!
ReplyDeleteJust a drive by Hello and TGIF from your old faithful Desert Dog! (Everyone knows the MUTTS are the best dogs)
ReplyDeleteHello D2! Things have slowed down a bit ...
ReplyDeleteOh wow. Something jogged my memory while I was looking at the side bar of past threads. Pi Guy has posted once before on James Burke an Connections. Well here's a show I saw back in about 1996 that was produced in 1989. It's called After The Warmin. One of the first times I saw anything about AGW.
ReplyDeleteWhy the hell am I still here? I needz to sleep. Long day tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteErik The Red said...
ReplyDeleteWhy the hell am I still here? I needz to sleep. Long day tomorrow.
It may be the company. Or it may be that the scotch is tasting oh sooo nice.
You jes cain't quit us, Erik ....
ReplyDeleteErik: Dude, 0530(or o'dark hundred) comes awfully damn early. Get thee to bed. :)
ReplyDeleteMy next drink is going to be FTC. (Fuck The Consequences)
ReplyDeleteErik The Red said...
ReplyDelete"My next drink is going to be FTC. (Fuck The Consequences)"
The consequences all get pertier at closin' time.
I love PI Guys history. Maybe it needs to be at a different time tho. Posting this after the pub closes may be a bad time. Does not do his research justice.
ReplyDeleteShug said...
ReplyDeleteErik The Red said...
"My next drink is going to be FTC. (Fuck The Consequences)"
The consequences all get pertier at closin' time.
LOL
OK for real this time. ETR is going to turn into a big fat pumpkin in a few. Man I really need more sleep than I am going to get. {Later all}
ReplyDeleteEvening, all!
ReplyDeleteHow're things?
Erik The Red said...
I love PI Guys history. Maybe it needs to be at a different time tho. Posting this after the pub closes may be a bad time. Does not do his research justice.
Originally, it was being done at midnight (all times I give here are in Pacific Time). We moved it to 8, so more people could see it.
When would you suggest it be posted? I'm always looking for a better way to do things.
Ooops - I seem to have just missed ETR.
ReplyDeleteHey Pi Guy, I think every body partied themselves out tonight. I appear to be one of the last ones standing. If you can call what I am doing standing...
ReplyDelete[Expletive deleted] I need to make a blog post in the next 45 minutes.
ReplyDeleteWhy the [expletive deleted] does Obama, who supposedly had an Afghanistan strategy last Spring, suddenly has no Afghanistan strategy.
Hmmm.
/or I could post a music video and be done with it for the day
Good evening anyone. Just wandered in and was looking arround. Nice home you all have. I may stop back from time to time and visit all my old friends who appear to hang here.
ReplyDeleteeatitorwearit:
ReplyDeleteI vote for the music video. You could always do a post on 0's Afghanistan policy next week, or next month ...or possibly next year. It would probably not change much.
Evening folks!
ReplyDeleteSpent the afternoon with my dad and his wife (mom passed in 91). A grand time all around.
Now kick back a little and unwind from a busy day.
Did Bar Wench Leave anything in the cooler?
Howdy, Phil, Pink, JCM and all!
ReplyDeleteHey everyone.
ReplyDeleteWOW three pub threads...I bet you guys are shit faced.
JeremyR said...
ReplyDeleteGood evening anyone. Just wandered in and was looking arround. Nice home you all have. I may stop back from time to time and visit all my old friends who appear to hang here.
That's exactly the spirit that inspired this website!
Evening PI Guy...whats shaken?
ReplyDelete@ JMC
ReplyDeleteI envy you.....my Dad died on Christmas morning, '90, and my Mom 5 1/3 years ago........not a day goes by that I wouldn't like to sit down and talk things over with them, now that I am older.....and maybe a little wiser..... : )
--Ma Sands
Ma, long time no see.
ReplyDeleteA little Heart
ReplyDeletePink Freud said...
ReplyDeleteI vote for the music video.
/done, with feeling
Ma,
ReplyDeleteI miss talking to my mom, she's missing the grand kids grow.
Hi-Def Video from The Edge of Space
ReplyDeleteVideo is ten minutes, can be played with good resolution at full screen.
Bear (Balloon Experiments with Amateur Radio)-4 HD Camera Flight
Near space is within the Stratosphere and Ozone layers, from 75,000 feet to the beginning of space at 62.5 miles. The earth's curvature and thin blue layer of atmosphere hugging the earth can easily be seen from here and at 117,000 ft. the horizon is at 460 miles, rather then only 2-3 miles when standing at ground level, and the air pressure is less then 1% of that at sea level. With so little atmosphere there is no filtering of cosmic rays or ultraviolet light, blue sun light is not scattered, the sky is inky black, stars are visible and there's no weather, so always bright and sunny, but very cold at -60 to -90 degrees Fahrenheit.
I have to call it a night. See you guys and gals around later. Weet dreams to one and all.
ReplyDeleteGoodnight, Phil. Sleep well. Thanks for all your help.
ReplyDeleteHey y'all - sorry to be so late (especially cause I can't stay long!) but I had a TON of e-mail to get through tonight!
ReplyDeleteOh and btw, this is realwest!
How is everyone doing tonight?
Hey Real! Kinda slow in here, I think everyone ran off after the Pub thread.
ReplyDeleteHullo, realwest..... : )
ReplyDeleteAre the reports I heard day before yesterday, of you being awfully under the weather, true?
--Ma Sands
Real,
ReplyDeleteEvening....
6p00e55005f9c78834 said.
ReplyDelete..
Hey y'all - sorry to be so late (especially cause I can't stay long!) but I had a TON of e-mail to get through tonight!
/you've supposedly been a naughty boy
Hey JCM (and hi Ma Sands!) y'all should check your e-mail!!
ReplyDeleteAnd Killian, I know, I know I've been a naughty man - leastwise that's what a surprising amount of my e-mail has been saying!
Well, except they don't use "naughty" but something stronger!
SOB got off light. Watada's parents are big libs, and the whole thing stank from the beginning as a setup to make news be a big anti-war hero. The first thing this dipstick did when he refused to deploy was call a press conference with the support of a anti-war group.
ReplyDeleteThe media may forget, JCM doesn't.
Army allows Ft. Lewis war objector to resign
The Army is allowing the first commissioned officer to be court-martialed for refusing to go to Iraq to resign from the service, his attorney said late Friday.
First Lt. Ehren Watada will be granted a discharge Oct. 2, "under other than honorable conditions," attorney Kenneth Kagan said.
Watada took an oath, once he took the oath his option to challenge the CinC issuing congressionally approved operations was gone.
Mary said...
ReplyDeleteHullo, realwest..... : )
Are the reports I heard day before yesterday, of you being awfully under the weather, true?
/what "reports" would those be?
Hey Mary (Ma) yes I have been "under the weather for some time now but I'm still hopeful, thanks for asking!
ReplyDeleteHow are you doing?
Appreciate the links, JCM.
ReplyDeleteHey Pink, I gather that many folks many have STUMBLED off after the last Pub thread, but I doubt if any of 'em RAN anywhere! LOL!
ReplyDeleteHey Jorline - are you still around? Cause if so, y'all might like this Heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5PKULglde8
ReplyDeleteJCM - that message about e-mail was directed to you!!
ReplyDeleteMa - sorry I did't send you an e-mail!!
Real,
ReplyDeleteReceived and replied....
Mosquito Micro UAV
ReplyDelete450gr just lest than a pound.
IDF rocks!
He JCM, your linky no worky!!
ReplyDeleteMa Sands, could you drop me an email please? I'm at rusthawk@gmail.com. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteJCM said...
ReplyDeleteIDF rocks!
Yes, IDF rocks!
/but can they scale up to the task at hand and overcome the Obama resistance?
I Smell 'Hope' Not 'Sulfur'
ReplyDeleteThugo likes The Wee Won........
eatitorwearit,
ReplyDelete/but can they scale up to the task at hand and overcome the Obama resistance?
Therein lies the issue.
With Iran announcing enrichment at Qom (pronounced Go-um) which is Iran's holiest site. I've driven through Qom but never stopped it wasn't advised for non-muslims.
That makes multiple targets, with the Qom target having huge political implications.
The Wee Won don't have it in 'em to do what's necessary.
Real and everyone... opps...
ReplyDeleteMosquito Micro UAV
JCM - that is just TOO cool for words!!
ReplyDeleteBut, uh, where do they put the Hellfire missiles?
;')
Jorline said...
ReplyDeleteEvening PI Guy...whats shaken?
Not much - just working on a few projects (and not checking in enough).
;)
Well y'all it's late here and I have got to get some sleep tonight!
ReplyDeleteI hope you all have a great evening/early morning and that I get the chance to see y'all down the road!!
realwest wishes you all a good night!!
JCM said...
ReplyDeleteTherein lies the issue.
That makes multiple targets, with the Qom target having huge political implications.
It would be boring to reiterate my past pronouncements on this issue and after yesterday morning, it's not an option anyway.
/4000 strike points over 48 hours, [expletive deleted] or get off the pot, Israelis can't do it alone, concentrate on the ingress/egress/ventilation points, they gotta breathe
Possible location of Qom nuclear facility.
ReplyDeleteAirstrip in NE corner.
Roads lead to a pair of entrance to tunnels into the mountain.
Service building is at
34°56'38.55"N
50°45'49.84"E
eatitorwearit,
ReplyDeleteYeah, it would be a real tough row to hoe for the IAF.
Put 3 CBGs, and a couple wings out of Iraq and Afghanistan, plus the 509th, and the B-1s out of Diego....
Not a cake walk with the SAM threat, but very doable.
Site I link above is definitely military.
ReplyDeleteTo the S.W. of the tunnels.
Revetments and what look like bunker entrances.
If you're going to strike Iran, you need to flatten or dig up, the specific targets.
ReplyDelete/it's no secret that any strike on Iranian nuclear cabability will involve denuding the Iranian military in all aspects
:D
ReplyDelete:(
ReplyDeleteHey, y'all... it's me, LeePro.
eatitorwearit,
ReplyDeleteTo be absolutely sure.....
It would take boots on the ground to do the assessments.
GWB was politically hamstrung with regards to striking Iran. Once the congress went to the (D)s they never would have signed off on a strike.
Lee!
ReplyDeleteHow ya' doing!
Hey Lee Pro! Good evening, how are you? You missed the Pub thread ....you oughta stop in and visit with us there sometimes. :)
ReplyDeleteBetter now! How's it goin' over here? Seems we're all spread out all over the place now!
ReplyDeleteLeePro said...
ReplyDelete:(
Hey, y'all... it's me, LeePro.
LeePro! You might know me as GMSC, but here I'm Pi Guy!
I did/have, PF. Just seems I get there too late. :(
ReplyDeleteBesides, it's such a PITA to have to type a secret code word every time I comment.
ReplyDeleteHi,Pi!
ReplyDeleteWhy do we have to do the code word thingie every time?
ReplyDeleteWe apologize for your PITA moment. I know it's troublesome to get in sometimes. I'm glad you overcame! :-)
ReplyDeleteLee,
ReplyDeleteIt's a blogspot thing...
Our new diggs we won't have that.......
Watch the traffic, seal it off.
ReplyDeleteThink about it. And that's just Natanz aim points.
/we've known about this "new" facility for over four years now
Ensign receives handwritten confirmation
ReplyDeleteThis doesn't happen often enough.
Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) received a handwritten note Thursday from Joint Committee on Taxation Chief of Staff Tom Barthold confirming the penalty for failing to pay the up to $1,900 fee for not buying health insurance.
Violators could be charged with a misdemeanor and could face up to a year in jail or a $25,000 penalty, Barthold wrote on JCT letterhead. He signed it "Sincerely, Thomas A. Barthold."
The note was a follow-up to Ensign's questioning at the markup.
Yep, you heard right. Don't buy into the Obamacare... go to jail.
Natanz is near Isfahan.
ReplyDeleteThe new one is near Qom.
JCM said...
ReplyDeleteNatanz is near Isfahan.
The new one is near Qom.
/many thousands of aim points that need to be hit in turn
/many thousands of aim points that need to be hit in turn
ReplyDeleteyep.....
damn.....
Dinnerjacket's UN speech, they will not be deterred.
Bad mojo.
I'm out....
ReplyDeleteGood night all.
G'Nigh, JCM!
ReplyDeleteLeePro, if you're still here, and to any one else who is listening, don't forget that tomorrow is Saturday!
ReplyDeleteOn Saturdays, besides my usual history posts (currently at 8pm Pacific Time), I also post an episode of James Burke's history documentaries at 1pm Pacific Time.
If you missed last week's starting episode, here's the link:
Connections: The Trigger Effect (Part 1 of 10)
LeePro, if you're still here, and to any one else who is listening, don't forget that tomorrow is Saturday!
ReplyDeleteOn Saturdays, besides my usual history posts (currently at 8pm Pacific Time), I also post an episode of James Burke's history documentaries at 1pm Pacific Time.
If you missed last week's starting episode, here's the link:
Connections: The Trigger Effect (Part 1 of 10)
Excellent, Pi Guy! Thanks!
Will you be reminding everyone every Saturday?
Good piece in WashTimes:
ReplyDeleteEDITORIAL: Leader of the Free World no more
Hittin' the pillow now... G'nite everyone!
ReplyDelete'Nite, Lee! :-)
ReplyDeleteWeet dreams.
I hope you guys are hungry. We trucked in extra fruit cup for our extra large crowd this morning.
ReplyDelete