
Highlights of this day in history: Four black girls killed in a church blast in Alabama; President George W. Bush vows massive rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina; Nazi Germany adopts Nuremberg laws; Agatha Christie and Oliver Stone born.
Other notable September 15th events include:
1616 – The first non-aristocratic, free public school in Europe is opened in Frascati, Italy.
1789 – The United States Department of State is established (formerly known as Department of Foreign Affairs).
1835 – HMS Beagle, with Charles Darwin aboard, reaches the Galápagos Islands.
1959 – Nikita Khrushchev becomes the first Soviet leader to visit the United States.
1966 – U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson, responding to a sniper attack at the University of Texas at Austin, writes a letter to Congress urging the enactment of gun control legislation.
1981 – The Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approves Sandra Day O'Connor to become the first female justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
1983 – Israeli premier Menachem Begin resigns.
2008 – Lehman Brothers files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the largest bankruptcy filing in U.S. History.
This is a great feature. I love it, Scott!
ReplyDeleteWow. That church explosion really provides some perspective. Whatever issues remain with race relations in this country, there is no denying it is much, much better in America for minorities than it once was. (And that still sounds like an understatement.)
1959 – Nikita Khrushchev becomes the first Soviet leader to visit the United States.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that when he brought his shoes with him...? ;-)
Folks, we are still trying to get our timing for posts organized. One of my goals in life is to teach the left coasters among us how to tell "real" time. It's a losing battle, so far, but I HOPE I can CHANGE the situation.
Fruitcup will therefore be rescheduled to a later time this morning, for today.
Meanwhile, there's a feast of history right here! Bon appetit! :-)
This just has to be the worst horrorscope I've had in YEARS:
ReplyDeleteWithin the next few days, you are likely to gain access to dimensions of perception you never suspected. Perhaps you will become aware of certain energy phenomena, peak experiences, or other highly sensitive states of consciousness. Don't be frightened, rather investigate all that these worlds have to offer.
This day in history - littleoldlady's head explodes!
Now, now . . . don't go all 'splodey on us!
ReplyDeleteBesides, your horoscope could be good news, referring to the new blog opening!
Pi Guy,
ReplyDeleteIf it's the new blog - GREAT! But unfortunately it sounds more like this. :-(
Good morning all. What's the state of the blog?
ReplyDeleteHowdy, Phil! :-)
ReplyDeleteWe're holding! ;-) I think Bare said he's shooting for the "real" blog to be up and running by Saturday.
I have...um...ISSUES with Blogspot, so I will be very happy when this is our backup.
How's by you?
Still going... the fascination with the number of attendees at Saturday's March on Washington.
ReplyDelete/too much math!
//another head explosion coming! ;-)
Doing good littleoldlady. Just getting my caffiene and funnies fix at the moment. Going to have to burn a bunch of pictures to disk before I lose them again.
ReplyDeleteThere's a cricket in my house. VERY annoying. But the big question is WHY do I have a cat?!
ReplyDelete/Yo, Valerie! How's about you do your job and not just eat us out of house and home...?
Yeah, I saw that conversation from yesterday. Looks like there were folks here that could help you with that. Good thing it wasn't me you were asking. My solution to not losing files is to never throw out a computer.
ReplyDelete/which is why I have FOUR going here right now... ;-)
Well I recovered some of the pictures. For some reason the other ones are not recoverable. May try another program and see what results I get. In the meantime get the ones that I did save to a cd.
ReplyDeleteMe, I LOSE CDs. ;-)
ReplyDeleteIt would be a shame to lose your pictures. I always imagined you publishing a really wonderful coffee table book from them.
Give it time. You do know that I am getting a better camera right? Going to be real fun. Just have to go through some of my pictures and figure which ones I want to re do.
ReplyDeleteYou told me, yes. :-)
ReplyDeleteDid you know that Raisinets has (have?) its own YouTube channel?
/who knew?
My daughter keeps buying me coffee table books, mostly of old movie stills. (Which I love!) But the one that I have that I like the best is this one. I know you do still life and not people Phil, but I find these pix incredible.
ReplyDeleteI may branch out to people. When I get the new camera it may make some things easier.
ReplyDeleteDeep in the shadows of America...there's a growing group of people whose numbers will soon swell so large they will become a huge voting block unto themselves...
ReplyDeleteWatch out Congress/Obama! Here come THE UNEMPLOYED!
I'll leave the gory details to 3 wood ... when he gets here.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I'll do some gory details myself. :-) There's nearly 10 million people on the rolls of unemployment. Add those no longer "collecting" or classified as "having given up" and we're probably talking...somewhere between 13 and 15 million people.
ReplyDeleteIn comparison...that's more than the "Jewish block" of votes. It's also more than the "Muslim block" of votes. In fact, it's probably something like the Jewish vote + the Muslim vote TIMES 2 (or more!)
Although it's highly unlikely that these folks are in a position to donate to anyone's campaign, it IS very likely that they will vote when the occasion arises. After all, what else have they got to do?
The downside of giving/allowing the government responsibility for every and all aspects of one's life is that when things go wrong...the government is RESPONSIBLE.
I suspect payback will NOT be pretty...
Yeah, the American unemployment figures suck. At the least ours don't suck as bad. Still a lot of nervous people up here when it comes to jobs and stuff.
ReplyDeleteWell time to get moving I guess. I just hope that there are no big bosses in today so I can do internet stuff. :) Hope to see you all in about an hour or so.
ReplyDeleteBye, Phil. :-) GREAT seeing you! Hope you can stop in again during the day...
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Ya'll ... raining in my redneck woods ... satellite out and using aircard for computer ... this is a great site to watch television when the sat is out ...
ReplyDeletewww.tikilive.com
Hiya, Zigzag! :-)
ReplyDelete"Aircard" is a phone card? The kind you plug into the computer?
LoL .. it is a usb aircard that yes you connect into your computer from verizon ... I use it mainly when on the road for business but it comes in handy when the internet connection goes out from weather and that happens every time it rains ...
ReplyDeleteAh. I gotta get me one of those!
ReplyDeleteI suppose I should get a laptop first though... ;-)
We have TV/phone/internet from Verizon (FiOs). It doesn't go out (so far). What I DO get when it rains is a mini-flood in the basement... :-(
LoL .. you have a basement? ... dang I want one ... I have big fear of bad weather and want one to dive into ... could never have one as a kid as where I lived there were no basements ... I think they are cool ... sorry about the floods ...
ReplyDeleteHey! Obama finally got something RIGHT!
ReplyDeleteLOL!
Nearly everyone here has a basement. Years ago we were thinking of moving to south Florida and every house we looked at, new or existing, DIDN'T have one. I'm convinced that was the clincher that decided us against the move. ;-)
ReplyDeleteWe have a 50's rancher and the basement is the full size of the upstairs. In fact, that's where I am now. In my basement (a/k/a dungeon ;-) office.
Yeah, the dog hides down here during thunderstorms. Sometimes I do, too. :-)
Obama needs to get off the campaign circuit and stop giving speeches ... get his butt in his chair at the White House ... I don't remember a president giving so many speeches before not even Clinton ...
ReplyDeleteMorning All
ReplyDeleteI just love a morning historical look back. Too bad not much of it is done in our schools these days.
I came early to get my share off the Fruitcup menu, but I see the spread hasn't shown up yet.
Morning 1SG!!
ReplyDeleteMorning Zigzag: I've really used all my thinking power trying to figure out your old nic, I'm sure it will come to me but I'm known to be a little slow in these matters. I do enjoy your posts and will figure it out yet.
ReplyDeleteHey, TOP! Good morning. :-)
ReplyDeleteThe West Coast folks wanted to time the "Today in History" feature the way it always was - at midnight their time. That would have made the fruitcup thread - traditionally at 5 am Eastern - posted too close in time. I didn't want people to miss this thread, so I'm holding off for a while.
We're adapting and adjusting here... ;-)
Is there such a thing as a "grammar pill"? I think I need one today... :-/
ReplyDeletere: LoL
ReplyDeleteRemember some of us have early work schedules,but I'll learn to adapt as well.
My timing and sleep patterns have never been the best.
Waiting...Waiting...Waiting
Is it time now! lol
HA. Give me 10 minutes.
ReplyDelete/and we'll get to see if I remember how I did it yesterday... ;-)
FRUITCUP! ↑
ReplyDeleteGood morning Zigzag, Top, and hello again littleoldlady. Now at work and things look like they may be a little quieter today. Yesterday was nuts with two bosses in my office setting stuff up and rearranging things. Good news with the way things will work, I won't miss fruitcup.
ReplyDeleteMoving up to the spread.
ReplyDeleteConstitution Day is coming up this week! W00t!
ReplyDelete