Thursday, September 24, 2009

Today in History: September 25th



Click here to see History.com's September 25th video


Highlights of this day in history: James Madison persuades the US Congress to pass the first 12 Amendments to the Consitution. Satchel Paige becomes the oldest pitcher in baseball history. Sandra Day O'Connor sworn in as the first female US Supreme Court Justice. Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, is integrated by the use of United States Army troops.

Other notable September 25th events include:

1911 – Ground is broken for Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts.

1929 – Jimmy Doolittle performs the first blind flight from Mitchel Field proving that full Instrument Flying from take off to landing is possible.

1956 – TAT-1, the first submarine transatlantic telephone cable system, is inaugurated.

81 comments:

  1. Not much happened today in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James Madison persuades the US Congress to pass the first 12 Amendments to the Consitution.

    I guess this is pretty important tho. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. That day at Central High in Arkansas was a damned scary one ...for lots of folks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pi Guy, I really like the new resizing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "progressives" are beside themselves over O'Keefe's expose on ACORN.

    Think Again: Falling for the Far Right’s ACORN Agenda

    One night last week, Jon Stewart asked his audience, “Where were the real reporters on this story?” He meant the exposure of several ACORN employees giving tax advice to a young man and woman pretending to be a pimp and prostitute. The misdirected animosity toward the “real reporters” in this instance was a rare misstep for the usually perspicacious press critic/comedian. When long-time journalists, editors, and educators decry the death of investigative reporting, this Borat-style stunt is certainly not what they have in mind. And yet in this brave new world of anything goes journalism, many in the media have taken up the scandal and accept the videos as incontrovertible evidence of ACORN corruption.

    In the October issue of The Atlantic, Mark Bowden explains that the most influential investigative reporting these days is being done by what he calls “political hit men” who circulate damaging information so that newsmen have very little work to do. Bowden uses as his primary example the smear campaign against Judge Sonia Sotomayor, but were the lead time at The Atlantic a bit shorter, the ACORN tapes would have been an even better example to prove his point.

    The Washington Post’s Darryl Fears and Carol D. Leonnig describe “The $1,300 mission to fell ACORN.” It started with a phone call to James O’Keefe III (the “pimp”) from Hannah Giles (the “prostitute”), daughter of a conservative blogger named Doug Giles. The plan from the very beginning was to damage the reputation of the organization. O’Keefe admits that his enmity for ACORN derived from its success helping Democrats win elections, not from any charges of corruption. The Post also points out that in Philadelphia ACORN employees called the police when the duo left the offices there. The videotape of that encounter has yet to be released, and so the prevailing image of ACORN in the mainstream media has been the one that the video makers, with a vendetta against the organization, wanted out there.

    Hysterical Fox News commentators have blown this story up like a hot air balloon, and much of the rest of the media appear to believe that what Fox says goes. Andrew Alexander complains that “traditional news outlets like The Post simply don’t pay enough attention to conservative media or viewpoints.” But writing in the Columbia Journalism Review, Rick Perlstein responds: “Why would a newspaper like the The Post be training its investigative focus on ACORN now? Whether you think ill or well of ACORN, they're a very marginal group in the grand scheme of things and about as tied to the White House as the PTA.”

    This right-wing stunt proved such powerful catnip to mainstream media bigfeet that amazingly, George Stephanopoulos thought it worth discussing with the President of the United States during a rare one-on-one interview opportunity. The president quite understandably explained that that he wasn’t following the story very closely, and that the country was dealing with more serious problems right now. (U.S. grants to ACORN, already suspended, account for literally 52 seconds of annual U.S. government spending, according to one careful estimate.) Stephanopoulos had nothing else to say. As though he were correcting himself, he continued, “Afghanistan is a serious problem facing the country right now.” Oh, yeah, Afghanistan….


    ACORN. Marginal. Got it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today in 75 Dem Bums played their last game Brooklyn before moving to LA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PIMF 57 not 75...

    Dyslexia strikes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings.

    (Am I allowed in here? : )

    --Ma Sands

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was gonna say, JCM. Thanks for correcting that.

    My father was born and raised in Brooklyn. He moved out here (LA) in '55. He always said the Dodgers followed him because they couldn't stand to be away from their #1 fan.

    Real story.
    :')

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary said...

    Greetings.

    (Am I allowed in here? : )

    --Ma Sands


    Welcome and of course you are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ma Sands, long time no see.

    Please adhere to the rules and disclaimer above the post box.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi gang, how is everybody? Ma Sands is here? Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. DS,

    My dyslexia is more prevalent with numbers and equations than words and letters. Calculus was a nightmare.... I survived Linear Algebra and Vector Analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey PBJ! How was your evening? You missed some fun in the Pub thread ...there was even a limo to cart off the .... the patrons! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Pink. Very cool in re the limo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, thank you, one & all. Those rules sound pretty easy to keep, for myself anyway. : )

    --Ma Sands

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey BW closes the pub and everyone goes home? I smuggled some upstairs if anyone wants. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you get the good scotch, Erik? If so, I'll have a wee bit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Erik, pass it over. I missed the pub tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi all. Looking forward to reading all the interesting posts from the "missing persons". I can't type to save my life so I don't post much but I sure do like following the conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anyone for some light reading?

    Chairman’s Mark America’s Healthy Future Act of 2009


    aka, America’s Healthy Future Act of 2009
    aka, the Baucus Bill

    Okay, you don't have to read it tonight.

    I expect all your book reports on my desk Monday morning however!
    /;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome Boatguy,

    Clean the Milfoil from yer' hull, and slip right on in!

    ReplyDelete
  23. JCM.....I know only one thing about that Baucus Bill....well, that matters most, at least --no matter how it is pleaded against, it still includes us paying for abortions....

    --Ma Sands

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ma,

    Let's start with Life, Liberty, and Property.....

    It gives Government control over our very lives and he decisions we make with our life.

    It impinges on our Liberty, how we live our lives.

    It violates our property, I buy insurance, using property I produced, insurance is my property.

    That's just what's wrong with the concept of Gov't health care with out delving into the Constitutionality, or the specifics.

    So far every proposal is a fundamental violation of individual rights.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Boatguy,

    Invasive aquatic weed, it's a problem in the west. A little bit will be on a boat hull, and if is transported to another lake can take over in just a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  26. JCM....in case I sounded ambiguous, as I usually do, though unintentionally ): ....I want more than anything, for the entire thing to be thrown out.....along with Obama, along with.....etc.

    : )
    -- Ma Sands

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ma,

    I got you! ;-)

    They're sowing the seed of their own destruction.
    '10 comes the whirlwind.

    ReplyDelete
  28. JCM.... Will do some research on that tomorrow, haven't heard of it up here in Canada yet. Thanks for the welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Boatguy,

    Milfoil......

    Eurasian watermilfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum) is an attractive plant with feathery underwater foliage. It was once commonly sold as an aquarium plant. Eurasian watermilfoil, hereafter called milfoil, originates from Europe and Asia, but was introduced to North America many years ago and is now found over much of the United States. This plant was introduced to the eastern United States at least as long ago as the 1940s, but it may have arrived as early as the late 1800s. The first known herbarium specimen of milfoil in Washington was collected from Lake Meridian near Seattle in 1965. By the mid 1970s it was also found in Lake Washington. During this same time period milfoil became established in central British Columbia and traveled downstream to Lake Osoyoos and the Okanogan River in central Washington. Now milfoil is found in the Columbia, Okanogan, Snake, and Pend Oreille Rivers and in many nearby lakes. In western Washington, the distribution of milfoil closely follows the Interstate 5 corridor. It is very apparent that milfoil has been spread from lake to lake on boat trailers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Late for me, work tomorrow. See you all in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good night C2ers. See you all tomorrow. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  32. JCM... Trying to save me from using Google? Thanks for the heads up, sounds like it has a long way to travel before it hits Ontario but I will ask some of my West Coast dealers how they are coping.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good night Erik, sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  34. OOPS, may already be here, missed the East Coast reference. I will check on Great Lakes infestation and smaller lakes around here.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Military Procurement process is seriously FUBARed.

    Air refueling tankers are a big part of our ability to project and maintain force around the world (amateurs talk tactics, professionals logistics).

    We currently have 486 KC-135's, and 59 KC-10's.

    The -135's are 50 yes FIFTY years old, the -10's almost 30.

    We need new tankers a decade ago.....

    Pentagon prepares to reopen Air Force refueling tanker bidding process

    Oh, and I want them home grown, I don't want our strategic lifeline dependent on potentially fickle allies.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Why are these Tea Party protesters such such such violent people?

    Oh wait, they're not Tea-Partiers.....they're Leftists.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks, DesertSage.....a Facebook friend was giving out supportive-to-the-violent-protesters links, and I am so glad to have a reasonable one to counter with! I really, really like Pajamas Media.

    --Ma Sands

    ReplyDelete
  38. DS,

    Shades of WTO Seattle '99 and about every WTO, G8, G20 conference since, they want and will create confrontation and violence.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wish I had a police scanner for the Pittsburg PD. Bet those rabble rousers are still at it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. PBJ,

    Seattle '99 f'n dipsticks were better organized than the police.

    Leading up to it the PD and Mayor's office had meetings with the protest organizers, they sold the city a line of bullcrap about peaceful etc... which the city bought hook, line and sinker. Meanwhile on the protest web sites were all the plans on how to disrupt everything.

    This was pointed out to the city leaders, they're response "we have assurances."

    When violence did break out PD was completely unprepared, no relief for the cops, no food, not enough tear gas etc... When they did bust 'em f'n lawyers were already waiting with paper drawn up, protestors would refuse to give names, lawyers running around file a blizzard of paperwork. They filed suit with in hours for illegal arrests, holding and bookings taking longer than the law allows. The city final settle for only a couple of million.

    Bastards know exactly what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I had a session downtown at 5th and Lenora, approximately (down at a studio around the corner from Jazz Alley) the first day of WTO.

    Thaaaat was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  42. My favorite thing was the picture of the kid wearing Nikes, stomping on the Niketown sign.

    ReplyDelete
  43. JCM, I am not surprised, I remember the Seattle '99 incident only too well, though not living in the area, I probably don't know the half of it.

    ReplyDelete
  44. CC,

    LOL! I actually felt sorry for the Teamsters and other "legitimate" groups protesting WTO (believe me there's no love lost between me and Teamsters).

    I'm not a fan WTO to begin with, but any real voices of opposition got drowned out by breaking glass.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Seattle City leadership is utterly clueless. In the wake of WTO they took a hands off approach to crowd control leading to the Mardi Gras riots.

    In that police were forbidden from entering the crowd. A young man Christopher Kime was beaten to death while police watched from the edge of the crowd, I know cops that were so pissed. Chris' friends had to carry him out of the crowd to police. While this was going on the mayor and police chief stood on the roof of a parking garage to make sure police didn't provoke anything.

    That's the level of malfeasant imbeciles that run this place.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh, that Christopher Kime thing was horrible. Just horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I remember that too. That poor young man. Dang it would be hard to be a cop now. I'm just as glad our daughter got out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  48. PBJ,

    In Seattle it tough, no support from the city. Surrounding areas with the Sheriff it's better, more political support in the suburbs and outlying areas.

    ReplyDelete
  49. CC
    She was in the LAPD for a couple of years. The Sheriffs that patrol our home area used to call her LA Pee Wee. LOL

    Now she is a victim's advocate for elderly victims of crime. She still sees as much, or more, but at least she is safer.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I am so ripping off that Guinness link.

    The daughter also likes Guinness. She has been to the main brewery.

    ReplyDelete
  51. LAPD - now that's got to be a tough gig. Sounds like she's really doing something worthwhile with her life, PBJ - you must be very, very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Gotta love this part...

    It was a smart move. Using a 100-pound legacy from his clergyman godfather, and negotiating a 45-pound, 9,000-year lease with brewery landowner Mark Rainsford,

    Only 8750 years before we have to worry about no more Guinness!

    ReplyDelete
  53. We are very proud of her, CC, she's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hahah JCM - I'll tell my brother (he loves the stuff). He'll be so relieved. : )

    ReplyDelete
  55. PBJ,

    Hats off to your daughter, and to you for raising her!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Night C2ers,

    After the events at the Useless Nations, some ancient wisdom:

    A bad peace is even worse than war.
    - Tacitus

    ReplyDelete
  57. Goodnight JCM, thanks for everything. Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Sweet dreams, JCM.

    Think I will check out for the night and do a little light reading.

    Take care all.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Good Morning America!!!

    Morning Pink, CC, PBJ...all.

    I see I managed to mangle a post in the Lounge before getting dragged-off - shoot. Pink, You've got mail.

    ReplyDelete
  60. No no no, my dear enuff.....you've got mail. :)

    Goodmorning!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Good morning, enuff! Wow. I haven't been to bed yet. I should probably do that. : )

    ReplyDelete
  62. Well...isn't today looking interesting and we're only getting started. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I predict that we will see lots of new nics in here today.

    ReplyDelete
  64. More reports to slog through **sigh** - Afghanistan is so screwed-up and it's primarily because of the Un/Nato side of the mission.

    See ya'll for fruitcup.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Pink...I expect your quite correct. Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  66. JCM and PBJ and Ma Sands? Hello everyone

    ReplyDelete

By submitting your comments, you agree that you alone are responsible for their content. We reserve the right to remove comments we deem offensive or inappropriate, at our discretion. Disparaging remarks about other online communities, or their members, should be made elsewhere if you are so inclined. Finally, comments made below will be subject to public viewing.