
Highlights of this day in history: Vietnam War deserters and draft evaders receive conditional amnesty; Palestinian refugees massacred in Lebanon; Mexico pushes for independence; Opera star Maria Callas dies; Blues great B.B. King born.
Other notable September 16 events include:
1908 – General Motors is founded.
1919 – The American Legion is incorporated.
1920 – The Wall Street bombing: a bomb in a horse wagon explodes in front of the J.P.Morgan building in New York City – 38 are killed and 400 injured.
1940 – Sam Rayburn is elected Speaker of the United States House of Representatives. He is widely regarded as the most effective Speaker of the House in American history.
1955 – Juan PerĂ³n is deposed in Argentina.
1981 – Sugar Ray Leonard beats Thomas Hearns in their first of two epic boxing bouts.
I remember the Sugar Ray-Thomas Hearns fight. I was a young Marine then and we watched it in the barracks.
ReplyDeleteGood times.
:')
On a less happy note, how do you think most people feel about General Motors on its 101st birthday?
ReplyDeleteI don't remember the Wall Street bombing though....
ReplyDeleteI mentioned this earlier, but it bears repeating here.
ReplyDeleteThe Today in History thread for September 17th will appear here at 8:00 PM Pacific/11:00 PM Eastern tonight.
We're trying it out as an "after dinner thread".
DesertSage: I don't remember the Wall Street bombing though....
ReplyDeleteIf you did remember a 1920 pre-Great-Depression Wall Street bombing, you wouldn't have been a young Marine in 1981.
I don't remember Sam Rayburn either....
ReplyDelete:(
If you did remember a 1920 pre-Great-Depression Wall Street bombing, you wouldn't have been a young Marine in 1981.
ReplyDeleteI probably wouldn't be alive right now either.
:')
A quick update and voila!
ReplyDeleteA border magically appears around the history forum logo!
Thanks, Correspondence Committee!
1920 – The Wall Street bombing: a bomb in a horse wagon explodes in front of the J.P.Morgan building in New York City – 38 are killed and 400 injured.
ReplyDeleteThose darn Palestinians!
/oh...wait...
'Morning (for me, anyway) all! :-)
Welcome, littleoldlady!
ReplyDeleteSometimes history gives us good music...
ReplyDeleteWell, Semper Fi, DesertSage! (My father was on Iwo Jima...I always like finding out who the Marines are!)
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome for the border, Pi Guy! Looking good!
ReplyDeleteSometimes history gives us good music...
ReplyDeleteOooh . . . thank you for that!
Pi Guy! :-)
ReplyDeleteGoodevening C2, Desert Sage, littleoldlady, and Piguy. Perhaps I should go to bed.
ReplyDeleteI read: 1981 – Sugar Ray Leonard beats Thomas Hearns in their first of two epic boxing bouts.
and my brain's reaction was: Helen Thomas!?
I've spent waaay too much time on the computer today!
I remember watching that fight too. (The one with Hearns, not Helen.)
Hahahaha!
ReplyDeleteI'd pay good money to see the Sugar Ray/Helen Thomas fight!
Me too, Pi Guy! My money's on the old bat. : )
ReplyDeletePink! :-)
ReplyDeleteSugar Ray would have died of fright right in the middle of the ring!
Too funny! Ya know, I bet she'd have had the moxie to do it, too! (Maybe still does!) GAK!
ReplyDeletePink! :-)
ReplyDeleteSugar Ray would have died of fright right in the middle of the ring!
True.
I hate to cut out early, but all the programming and video work has taken it all out of me.
Good night, all!
Sleep well, Pi Guy - big day for you!
ReplyDeleteGoodnight Pi Guy :-)
ReplyDeleteYour history forum is very nice.
Congrats on your project!
'Night, Pi Guy! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the memories...er...HISTORY!
DAMN. I'm old!
ReplyDeleteListening to Maria Callas on YouTube. I'm not any kind of opera fan, but some people are just too spectacular to be ignored.
ReplyDelete/is that 140 characters?
/this tweet courtesy of littleoldlady... ;-)
Rich Lowry at NRO: When ACORN talks, pimps and hookers listen. The E. F. Hutton of Prostitution
ReplyDeleteBwahahaha!
How bout you and me share a nice quiet fruitcup, littleoldlady ....and we can talk about our children. Doesn't that sound like fun?
ReplyDelete/oy!
/oy oy!
Good mornin Lol, Freud, the Committee, Pi, Sage...
ReplyDeleteOn this day in history approximately the same time a year ago - we were packing-up the car, preparing to return to Houston having learned the night before the condition of our property in the aftermath of Ike.
/Moral of the story: Things could be worse; probably have been and/or will be again - you fix-it and go on.
I think.
Any fruitcup?
aboo
A hot time in Tehran Friday, Qod's day: Khatami to lead Tehran Qods day prayers
ReplyDeleteRasfan's definitely keeping his head down with rumors flying that warrants have been issued for Mousavi & Karoubi but won't be exercised until after the UN hoopla.
Weird stuff.
1920 – The Wall Street bombing: a bomb in a horse wagon explodes in front of the J.P.Morgan building in New York City – 38 are killed and 400 injured.
ReplyDeleteThe Amish - the first "Religion of Peace" ;)