Sunday, September 20, 2009

Today in History: September 21st



Click here to see History.com's September 21st video


Highlights of this day in history: "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus..." editorial published, NFL Monday Night Football premieres, the Galileo Space Probe's mission is terminated, Benedict Arnold meets with Major Andre to hand over the plans to West Point.

Other notable September 21st events include:

1792 – The National Convention declares France a republic and abolishes the monarchy.

1937 – J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit is published.

1942 – The B-29 Superfortress makes its maiden flight.

1970 – New York Times starts first modern op-ed page.

1972 – Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos signs Proclamation No. 1081 placing the entire country under martial law.

1981 – Belize is granted full independence from the United Kingdom, and Sandra Day O'Connor is unanimously approved by the U.S. Senate as the first female supreme court justice.

1993 – Russian President Boris Yeltsin suspends parliament and scraps the then-functioning constitution, thus triggering the Russian constitutional crisis of 1993.

2008 – Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, the two last remaining independent investment banks on Wall Street, become bank holding companies as a result of the subprime mortgage crisis.

66 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe it's been six years since we crashed Galileo into Jupiter. Amazing how much information we got, despite the malfunctioning antenna. My hubby was lucky enough to get a look at the craft when he was called to repair a leaking pipe in the "clean room" at JPL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evening C2ers,

    A wonderful day at Grandma's, bunnies in the hedges, humming birds at the feeder, a grand day.

    Beautiful of the Olympics on the drive home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barack Obama ready to slash US nuclear arsenal

    Barack Obama has demanded the Pentagon conduct a radical review of US nuclear weapons doctrine to prepare the way for deep cuts in the country's arsenal, the Guardian can reveal.

    Obama has rejected the Pentagon's first draft of the "nuclear posture review" as being too timid, and has called for a range of more far-reaching options consistent with his goal of eventually abolishing nuclear weapons altogether, according to European officials


    Talk about your day in history.

    /can this country even survive until 2012 with this assmunch as President?

    ReplyDelete
  4. PBJ,

    opps....

    http://www.drdale.com/cam/live.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. eatitorwearit

    Nuclear weapons are a fact of physics, as technology advances they become easier and easier to fabricated.

    The computer controlled milling machines with the precision for a nuclear program are common place.

    The computer horsepower to do the design work is now found in a laptop.

    Thankfully some of the materials are hard to come by but as long as rogue states exist the nuclear proliferation issue will only get worse. And our disarming as a sigh of goodwill is seen by many as weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't Sugar Ray Leonard fight someone on this date?

    Helen Thomas maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't Sugar Ray Leonard fight someone on this date?

    Helen Thomas maybe?


    OMFG!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DesertSage, the Sugar Ray Leonard posts were actually amusing the first few times you did it.

    I think the joke has been run into the ground now, however.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure it does. It could end up like those "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy" signs...

    I think I'd make one that says, "Unattended children will be handed over to ACORN and sold into prostitution".

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, how about that Benedict Arnold, huh? Imagine having to be remembered in history not only as a traitor to your country, but also as the guy who had eggs that look like olive-nippled boobs named after him.

    That's gotta suck in the ol' legacy department.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Running gag jokes are good for the cohesion of a blog.

    I say a few more Sugar Ray/Helen Thomas jokes would be good. People can laugh and it will eventually run its course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm - while y'all were fighting over Helen Thomas and how much and how often the SAME joke shoud be made of her,
    did Y'all see this: http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2009/09/024555.php
    Jimmy Carter's been an out and out RACIST his whole life so far and the MSM never bothered to "out him" going at least as far back as 1976!
    Seriously y'all this is realwest and I really think you should go look at Powerlines story I linked to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Running gag jokes are good for the cohesion of a blog.

    Maybe we can ask Scott to include, "On this day, in 1734, Helen Thomas was born..." in every "This Day in History" post? Would that work? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe we can ask Scott to include, "On this day, in 1734, Helen Thomas was born..." in every "This Day in History" post? Would that work? ;)

    That might help. Although I'm not quite sure she's THAT old though.

    Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know who is more insane.

    WA State Corrections Officials or the inmate who got away.

    You've got a criminally insane murder in the loony bin for life, who's escaped before. So what does Dept. of Corrections do?

    Takes him on a field trip to the fair of course, where chaperones have to keep them in visual contact.

    Tell me who is really the crazy in this story?

    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8626871

    ReplyDelete
  16. She's older. She's had press credentials since 1734.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That might help. Although I'm not quite sure she's THAT old though.

    Maybe?


    How do we know she's not. I think I saw her in video outside the Executive Mansion shouting out a question along thelines of, "Do you believe that France will view your augmenting the army and navy in response to their seizing of american ships as a threat to international peace and stability?" to John Adams on that mini-series...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, phew, JCM. We were at the Puyallup Fair last night, and that picture looks an awful lot like one of the guys who was on stage with James Taylor.

    Different fair.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, phew, JCM. We were at the Puyallup Fair last night, and that picture looks an awful lot like one of the guys who was on stage with James Taylor.

    I dont' know... that white biker-looking dude that wrote songs for Motown coulda been wearing a D.O.C. jumpsuit under his stage clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mentally-ill killer caught in Goldendale area

    An insane killer who slipped away from the staff of a mental institution on a field trip to the Spokane County International Fair was recaptured Sunday without injury more than 180 miles away in south-central Washington state.

    /disaster averted

    ReplyDelete
  21. Real,

    Rabbit Bait is the one most vile, incompetent, venial individuals I've seen. But my momma told me not to say anything about one anyone unless I had somethin' nice to say. And that's the nicest thing I can say 'bout Rabbit Bait.

    Carter's fringe Baptist church family actually "canceled services rather than admit four blacks," according to an Associated Press Report, dated November 2, 1976 (in the Daily Capital News, Jefferson City, Mo.).

    This is in the comments and I heard the segment....

    I listened to Mark Levin on Friday 9/18. Tom Marr was filling in for him, and he told a story about the former Governor of MD, Marvin Mandel. Governor Mandel was in office at the same time, that Carter was the Governor of GA. Governor Mandel was running for the head of the National Governors association in the 70's, and Jimmy Carter didn't like him, he wanted George Wallace. Jimmy Carter said of him at the time, he didn't want "that little Jew b_____d, for the position. Former Governor Mandel is in his 90's now, and Carter never apologized to him. Everything, these leftists accuse Conservatives of, they are. Governor Mandel by the way, was a Democrat, when Democrats, were really democrats, and not Communists.

    ReplyDelete
  22. CC,

    Went to the Puyallup a week ago! Had blast as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything, these leftists accuse Conservatives of, they are.

    As my friend CC is known to say, "want to know what the left is up to? Look at what they claim the right is doing..." (paraphrased)

    ReplyDelete
  24. McChrystal: More forces or 'mission failure'

    Obama Questions Plan to Add Forces in Afghanistan

    /I see this ending with the Taliban back in control of Kabul within a couple years, thanks Obama!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't think Obama sees the Taliban and Al Qaeda as one in the same.

    He's completely clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, JCM - that vid! Did the American media just lose interest in the story, or what?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey JCM - if y'all have a link to any of those videos, I'd sure like to see it. Surely the MSM (who covered for that pos Carter for 33 years and counting)will have it on their nightly news casts, right?!
    /
    Anyway, thank you kindly for that breaking news.

    And now it's time for realwest to go get some sleep and I sure hope you all have a GREAT evening/early morning and that I get the chance to see you all down the road!

    Good night, all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well shoot JCM - I apologize for not seeing you already had a link to those videos.
    Damn toothache is why I didn't see it and I do apolgize to you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. CC,

    Media and public lost interest.

    Obama isn't going to do anything, since his put his eggs in the Mullah's basket. He thinks he can talk 'em off the nuclear ledge and it will be a bit feather in his cap, but his a naif, and is gonna' have an atomic wedgie right on the floor of the UN for the world to see.

    If the media keeps running the Iran story, it will be harder and harder for him to keep playing footsie with the Mad Mullahs, public opinion won't really hold with playing nice with a regime that murders it's own people in the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Real,

    Goodnight, and no apology necessary, leave that to The Wee Won.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This week there are two stocks on the watch list that are potential buy candidates, GMCR and PEGA. GMCR, a stock that has been very, very good to me in the past, has formed a cup pattern with a buy point of $72.10. GMCR is currently trading at $68.89, but you'll want to see it trade through the buy point on robust volume before buying. Just like last week, PEGA, trading at $33.26, is still in buy range anywhere up to $34.91 after recently finding support at its ten week line, even after tacking on over $2 since last week.

    /as usual, your mileage may vary, always do your own homework

    ReplyDelete
  32. Winston has a couple of posts up about the protests in Iran:
    http://thespiritofman.blogspot.com/

    Sorry, I still can't get that "ahref=" stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'll check it out JCM. Thanks so much. I already have another tutorial, LOL, I am lame on things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  34. PBJ, copy this and remove the asterisks; put your url where the words "URLGOESHERE" appears (keep the quotation marks).

    <*a* href="URLGOESHERE">Words you want to link to go here<*a*>

    (There should be no space around either "a", but there should be one between the "a" and the "href".)

    ReplyDelete
  35. JCM, that's the thing. They seem to be interested primarily in things that help Obama, unless they're dragged kicking and screaming to a story.

    And now he wants a media bailout or some such thing? (I hope I dreamed seeing that story somewhere.)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks, CC. I still can't get it done. My tag is not closed. LOL (kinda sounds like my pants are unzipped or something. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOL

    Hmmmm...that's my fault! I forgot the slash on the second half. Should be <*/a*>

    ReplyDelete
  38. You need a back slash inside he closing brackets before the a...

    < / a >

    Take out the spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  39. It should work now, PBJ - sorry. Asterisks threw me off from my groove.

    Just add that slash and it'll work.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gah, JCM! It's all true!

    Loved this:

    "I am concerned that if the direction of the news is all blogosphere, all opinions, with no serious fact-checking, no serious attempts to put stories in context, that what you will end up getting is people shouting at each other across the void but not a lot of mutual understanding," Obama said.

    Because the New York Times does all that of course.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm out folks, take care see ya' all later.

    ReplyDelete
  42. You did it!! You know how to do italics and bold, correct? If not, let me know. I'll screw it up again for you. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  43. CC: Of course I don't know how to do bold or italics. That is the first time I ever even substituted a group of words for a link, even on sites that help you do it. Cut and paste is about all I can handle. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  44. YAY! I have a chance to redeem myself then. : )

    To bold something, surround it with two simple tags like this.

    <*b*>I WANT THIS BOLD.<*/b*>

    Take out the asterisks, leave no spaces.

    For italics, use an i instead of a b.

    <*i*>I want this in italics.<*/i*>

    ReplyDelete
  45. No redemption necessary, Correspondence Committee

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Well done, Grasshopper!

    I expect to see a whole bunch of HTML out of you from now on! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  47. LOL, I know a guy who played "grasshopper" in some of the shows. Thanks again, CC.

    Pictures of the Mt. Wilson area after the first fire assault

    Only trouble is, according to the news, the fire is not out. We could be 107 degrees by Tuesday and with the Santa Ana winds. They are putting down the fire retardant again near this area.

    ReplyDelete
  48. G'nite guys and gals, I have to try and sleep. If you are so inclined, say a little prayer for my cousin Jack. He has surgery in a few hours and there is a possibility that he has pancreatic cancer.

    Take care everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Gordon Brown risks reigniting Lockerbie row by meeting Col Muammar Gaddafi

    Gordon Brown will this week risk reigniting the Lockerbie row by shaking hands with Muammar Gaddafi of Libya.

    Sonofa.....

    Damn, it's early.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Sasquatch! :-)

    Not too early for fruitcup! ↑

    ReplyDelete
  51. thanks, lol.

    Grab some when I get back.
    Dog needs to lift a leg.
    See you in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Gun-toting man, 91, catches burglar

    Unfortunately, the gun discharged by accident and a bullet hit him in the leg, though he's supposed to recover.

    What are your plans for the day, lol.
    Hope the day has found you well.

    ReplyDelete