
Highlights of this day in history: Richard Nixon gives his 'Checkers' speech; Rome's Augustus Caesar born; Lewis and Clark finish trek to America's West; Psychologist Sigmund Freud dies; Musicians Ray Charles and Bruce Springsteen born.
Other notable September 23rd events include:
1459 – Battle of Blore Heath, the first major battle of the English Wars of the Roses, is fought at Blore Heath in Staffordshire.
1780 – American Revolution: British Major John André is arrested as a spy by American soldiers exposing Benedict Arnold's change of sides.
1845 – The Knickerbockers Baseball Club, the first baseball team to play under the modern rules, is founded in New York.
1846 – Neptune is discovered by French astronomer Urbain Jean Joseph Le Verrier and British astronomer John Couch Adams; the discovery is verified by German astronomer Johann Gottfried Galle.
1889 – Nintendo Koppai (Later Nintendo Company, Limited) is founded by Fusajiro Yamauchi to produce and market the playing card game Hanafuda.
1969 – The Chicago Eight trial opens in Chicago.
1973 – Juan Perón returns to power in Argentina.
1999 – NASA announces that it has lost contact with the Mars Climate Orbiter.
Early year of a decade not too long before our own – The human race suddenly encountered a deadly threat to its very existence.
Anyone who believes you can't change history has never tried to write his memoirs.
ReplyDeleteDAVID BEN GURION:
Early year of a decade not too long before our own – The human race suddenly encountered a deadly threat to its very existence.
ReplyDeleteWhen? In the land of last Tuesday?
/not to be confused with the world of Next Thursday
THIRD!!!!!!
ReplyDelete(Always wanted to say that!)
The human race suddenly encountered a deadly threat to its very existence.
ReplyDeleteObama's speechwriters last job?
I'm guessing it has something to do with Helen Thomas.
ReplyDeleteWhat is a Knickerbocker, anyway? (Okay, okay...the answer is: Google it.)
ReplyDeleteI like this one better :)
ReplyDeleteWell, the second definition available on Wiki is panties or women's undergarments... So, I guess this means it means "The Yankees".
ReplyDeleteROTFL...oh, boy. I hope there aren't any Yankees fans around here.
ReplyDeleteNo really. I do.
(JUST KIDDING. I even sang New York New York with a bunch of people in a bar in Manhattan when they won the World Series one year, though I probably shouldn't admit it. I only did it once, and I swear I didn't inhale.)
So Bare, do you have a "real site" update for us?
ReplyDeleteHmmmmm...I guess you're too busy working on it to answer.
ReplyDeleteWorks for me. : ) (Let me know if I can do anything to help.)
I'm uploading some files to a test server, so I can do some "live" testing, rather than continue testing in my development environment. We're close.
ReplyDeleteGoodevening everyone :-)
ReplyDeleteGoodevening everyone :-)
ReplyDeleteGoodevening everypink :-)
Hi Bare! Things seem quiet this evening and I imagine you're putting some polish and wax on the new site. I've missed everyone.
ReplyDeleteWhen was Helen Thomas born again?
ReplyDeleteHi Bare! Things seem quiet this evening and I imagine you're putting some polish and wax on the new site.
ReplyDeleteI am. Still some outstanding issues, but I have myself a little priority list, and am knocking out the Pri 1 items as I type this.
1753?
ReplyDeleteHave we exhausted the Helen Thomas references? ;-)
Hi Desert Sage!
(I see old man Freud died this day ...)
When was Helen Thomas born again?
ReplyDelete1734. We learned that yesterday.
Excellent, Bare. Thank you so much for all of your effort ...and you too, C2!
ReplyDeletePink!
ReplyDeleteEvening!
Reply to your email on the way!
Hi JCM! Looks like I missed the Bar Wench ...she sure does seem mighty attentive to you guys ....she's spoiling ya'll! It's great! :-)
ReplyDeletePink,
ReplyDeleteShe left a plate under the warmer, and a cooler of libations for ya!
What a doll she is. Oh look! A thick, spicy, Bloody Mary ....yum!!
ReplyDeleteWhile Dinnerjacket gets toasted at the UN, and Obama and Clinton "engage."
ReplyDeleteStudents in Iran face purge over protest fears
Authorities in Iran have launched a purge against student activists in an effort to stop the country's universities turning into breeding grounds of protests against President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's re-election.
Several students have been jailed and others suspended from their studies in a move opponents say is intended to create an atmosphere of fear and intimidation on campuses as the universities return for the start of the new academic year.
And the foreign policy of Rabbit Bait rules the day.
Hey y'all - how is everyone doing this evening?
ReplyDeleteReal!
ReplyDeleteKinda quite, we should stir things up!
Troops sealed off the Brazilian Embassy
ReplyDeletein Tegucigalpa whereousted Pres.Manuel
Zelaya was holed up after his surprise return.
Soldiers used tear gasandbatonsto disperse
Zelaya’s supporters and turned off
water and electricity to the embassy.
Olly olly oxen free!
/from IBD
Hey JCM, while our impotent President was slowly but surely escalating his language regarding the fraudulent elections in Iran, he never,EVER, mentioned the words "Freedom" or "Democracy". Our pal Kenneth tried to explain to me that those words have a different meaning in Persia than they do here and given Iran's history, I can believe it.
ReplyDeleteBut WE DO understand the words Freedom and Democracy and President Obama should have realized that he wasn't just or even primarily talking to Achmedinnerjacket - he was saying something to us; we picked up on his apparent unwillingess to use those words (with his education we KNOW HE KNOWS what the words FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY MEAN, methinks he just doesn't like to use them. Or for that matter, think of them.
If Achmadinnerjacket was willing to have protestors KILLED, wounded, maimed, arrested and treated with horrible brutality in jail, he's surely going after those students too.
Wonder what Obama will say...........I know two words he WON'T say.
eatitorwearit,
ReplyDeleteRock and roll next! What do think.
ZZ Top or AC/DC blasted at the compound?
Real,
ReplyDeleteObama also emphasizes "justice." The minds of the Mad Mullahs what they are doing is "justice." IMHO he's only made things worse. The young people are perfectly capable of understanding the message coming from Washington. So far nothing is supportive.
He's trying not to offend the Mad Mullahs and screw up any rapprochement with them, when their is none, they are playing him. At the same time he can't completely throw people seeking freedom under the bus. So he tries to split the difference.
With Thugs splitting the difference is the same as throwing in with them.
Hey there eatitorwearit - wonder why the MSM is incapable of understanding the legal actions that were taken against FORMER President Zelaya and continue to insist that "the duly elected President of Honduras was overthrown in a coup" when they KNOW that's not true? For that matter, why does the fucking Obama administration continue with the fiction produced by the MSM. Zelaya wanted to run for President again (iirc this November) and Congress said he couldn't do it; he persisted and the DULY ELECTED CONGRESS of Honduras requested that the Honduran Supreme Court take up the case; the Honduran Supreme Court DID, and issued a judgment and arrest warrant for FORMER President Zelaya who was arrested by military forces and led away NOT to Jail and he was not led away to a firing squad, he was simply thrown out of the country pursuant to a legal order of the Honduran Supreme Court and the President of the DULY ELECTED Honduran Congress took over, TEMPORARILY, the job of President of Hondorus.
ReplyDeleteJCM you said "With Thugs splitting the difference is the same as throwing in with them."
ReplyDeleteAnd frankly as POTUS, it is less than comforting to know that our POTUS is in fact a Thug.
He musta learned all that when he learned the Chicago Way!
Oh, joy.
ReplyDeleteLET PANDAS DIE OUT, SAYS NOTED NATURALIST
Money better spent protecting species with better chance, he argues.
"LONDON - Conservationists should "pull the plug" on giant pandas and let them die out, according to BBC presenter and naturalist Chris Packham.
"Here's a species that, of its own accord, has gone down an evolutionary cul-de-sac," Packham told Radio Times magazine.
Packham believes that money spent on conserving the panda would be better invested in other animals as the species is not strong Enough to survive alone.
"It's not a strong species. Unfortunately it's big and cute and it's a symbol of the WWF (Worldwide Fund for Nature) — and we pour millions of pounds into panda conservation," he added.
"I reckon we should pull the plug. Let them go, with a degree of dignity ..."
Say, as repellent as I find this statment, I wonder if he is slated for a spot in the, ah execution of Obama's Health Care?!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32974370/ns/world_news-world_environment/
Real,
ReplyDeleteHe sure seems to have an affinity for 'em, Ayers, Resko, Rahm, Chaves, Zelaya won't condemn Dinnerjacket.
*spit*
JCM - yep, you're spot on with that one.
ReplyDeleteOh and btw, the Yankees just beat the Angels,6-5 to move 6 games ahead of Boston and secured the Yankees a playoff birth.
GOOOOOOO Yankees!
GOOOOOOO Obama!
Ah,'suse me, that should have read:
ReplyDeleteGOOOOOOO YANKEES
GOO Home Obama.
Sorry for the typo!
Seattle Mariners.... 11 games back
ReplyDelete:-(
And Go to sleep, realwest! LOL!
ReplyDeleteHope y'all have a great evening/early morning and that I get the chance to see you all down the road!
LOL!
ReplyDeleteI took it as sarcasm....
Real,
ReplyDeleteSleep well.
night all,
ReplyDelete