Sunday, September 27, 2009

Today in History: September 28th



Click here to see History.com's September 28th video


Highlights of this day in history: William the Conquerer leads the Norman conquest of England. Norm Van Brocklin sets an NFL single-game passing record. The redesigned US$10 note is introduced. Ted Williams becomes the last major league baseball player to hit .400.

Other notable September 28th events include:

935 – Saint Wenceslas is murdered by his brother, Boleslaus I of Bohemia.

1787 – The newly completed United States Constitution is voted on by the U.S. Congress to be sent to the state legislatures for approval.

1867 – Toronto becomes the capital of Ontario.

1889 – The first General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) defines the length of a meter as the distance between two lines on a standard bar of an alloy of platinum with ten percent iridium, measured at the melting point of ice.

1939 – Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union agree on a division of Poland after their invasion during World War II.

2008 – SpaceX launches the first ever private spacecraft, the Falcon 1 into orbit.

74 comments:

  1. William the Conquerer Day! Let's give it up for the Normans...come on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...ummmm....did Helen Thomas cover that first Congressional vote on the Constitution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sage, she was there. Using carbon dating of her clothing style and dendrochronology on her cankles, scientists have indeed confirmed she is older than dirt. There are also mentions in Ben Franklins diaries of a woman that even he would not want "relations" with. Using that evidence, one would tend to think she was there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sage, I'm starting to think you have a little crush on old Helen. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am out of here y'all. Got an earlier start tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Measure of All Things: The Seven-Year Odyssey and Hidden Error That Transformed the World

    Alder delivers a triple whammy with this elegant history of technology, acute cultural chronicle and riveting intellectual adventure built around Delambre's and Mechain's famed meridian expedition of 1792-1799 to calculate the length of the meter. Disclosing for the first time details from the astronomers' personal correspondences (and supplementing his research with a bicycle tour of their route), Alder reveals how the exacting Mechain made a mistake in his calculations, which he covered up, and which tortured him until his death. Mechain, remarkably scrupulous even in his doctoring of the data, was driven in part by his conviction that the quest for precision and a universal measure would disclose the ordered world of 18th-century natural philosophy, not the eccentric, misshapen world the numbers suggested. Indeed, Alder has placed Delambre and Mechain squarely in the larger context of the Enlightenment's quest for perfection in nature and its startling discovery of a world "too irregular to serve as its own measure." Particularly fascinating is his treatment of the politics of 18th-century measurement, notably the challenge the savants of the period faced in imposing a standard of weights and measures in the complicated post-ancien regime climate. Alder convincingly argues that science and self-knowledge are matters of inference, and by extension prone to error. Delambre, a Skeptical Stoic, was the more pragmatic and, perhaps, the more modern of the two astronomers, settling as he did for honesty in error where precision was out of reach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sage and Helen, sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sage and Helen, sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G!

    Sage is so gonna punch our lights out. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honduras vows to close Brazil embassy

    Honduras’ de facto government threatened on Sunday to close Brazil’s embassy for harbouring ousted President Manuel Zelaya and moved to suppress dissent, defying international pressure to give up power.

    The government, which took power after a June 28 coup, also denied entry to an Organisation of American States delegation that had hoped to help broker a solution to the crisis.

    The moves were aimed at stifling opposition and sending a clear message that it would not allow the leftist Mr Zelaya’s return to power under any circumstances, but they will also likely bring further international condemnation.


    /well, at least cut of the bastard's unfettered access to transmitting radio broadcasts from the embassy

    ReplyDelete
  11. CC

    Not right away. He is atoning right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear. Mr. Obama isn't going to like this. (Has anyone heard him called "Mr. Obama" much, by the way? It sounds funny to me, like a foreign language. "Mr. Bush", now that I'm used to - and I know it's proper - but Obama usually has "President" in front of his name in the news, it seems to me. Hmmmmm.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am atoning. And reflecting.

    This is a very somber time. But it does a mind and body good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does a protein drink count as food?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Breaking news from Vegas:

    Helicopter crashes near Mt. Charleston Peak
    Updated: Sep 27, 2009 07:35 PM

    A helicopter has crashed near Mount Charleston Peak. Officials say one person suffered burns as a result of the crash. There is no word on what caused the chopper to go down.


    ...and if that's not enough, guess what happened to the ambulance that was going to rescue them?

    5 hurt after AMR unit crashes into car near LVB & Bridger
    Updated: Sep 27, 2009 07:56 PM

    Five people were taken to the hospital after an ambulance crashed into a car near Las Vegas Boulevard and Bridger Avenue. Police say the AMR unit was heading to a call when it hit a Pontiac. The Pontiac then hit a wedding chapel.

    The two EMT's in the AMR unit were taken to the hospital with serious injuries. Three people inside the Pontiac were also taken to the hospital.

    Watch Action News Live @ 11 for more on this developing story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BTW, Las Vegas Boulevard & Bridger is just 2 blocks south of Fremont Street, so there's probably a big crowd looking at it as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Pi Guy. Prayers for all of the injured.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey y'all - how is everyone doing this even...uh early morning?!
    Hey JCM, Safire was a really gifted writer, shame to lose him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Real!

    Evening!

    Losing the old school, one by one, not many left.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Realwest. Hope that shoulder is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. JCM - yep, very few true "wordsmiths" left anymore...............that or we're just getting older! LOL!
    But I do remember a TV show - not Firing Line, but featuring Safire and Buckley - just a pleasure to listen to, not even so much a matter of what they said.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey there PBJ! Yes, the shoulder is just fine now, thankew very much!
    How are y'all doing tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Medvedev Leaves Wiggle Room on Sanctions

    Russian President Dmitry Medvedev may have joined the U.S. and other Western powers last week in threatening Iran with tough new sanctions, but he left plenty of room for the Kremlin to break ranks when it comes to making them stick.

    U.S. officials rejoiced at the strong Russian rhetoric during Mr. Medvedev's visit to the U.S. last week. The Russian president seemed to drop Moscow's usual opposition to sanctions, saying they might have to be used if Iran doesn't come clean about its nuclear program.

    But analysts and Western diplomats noted the Kremlin has shifted its rhetorical tone in the past, as well, only to slip back to its traditional opposition to any moves that seriously increase pressure on Iran.


    /but, but, the hyena weasels have already declared it a great Obama triumph, throwing our eastern European NATO allies under the bus

    ReplyDelete
  24. We're doing pretty well here, thanks Realwest. Just tired is all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I must say that I'm in a very good mood this morning!
    My Giants beat the Bucs 24-0 and I mean BEAT the Bucs!
    Most interesting stat (other than the score):
    Time of possession:
    NYG Time of Possession 43:38 TB Time of Possession 16:22

    ReplyDelete
  26. Real,

    You used to smart, honest people, no matter which opinion they held. You considered what they said, and decided whether to agree or disagree. But the dialogue was important.

    Now much is sound and fury, signifying nothing. It about volume, not ideas, about impugning the opponent not meeting the substance.

    We are poorer today.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is my kind of game, realwest. I wish every weekend was like that for the Packers. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  28. Geez. That kind of time of possession, and you score 24 measly points? Pffft.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Iran.....

    IRGC missile war games.

    It a message to The Wee Won. Come and get us....

    ReplyDelete
  30. So...is a protein drink considered food?

    ReplyDelete
  31. JCM - how true that is. Listening to Daniel Patrick Moynihan debate William F. Buckley was a truly INTENSE experience - their brilliance sparkled in every sentence. Today, not enough folks listen and that's in large part because not enough people have something worth listening to!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That means I've already broken my fast.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  33. Running Bare - I take it you're a Buc's fan?!
    I do know what you mean though and remember the words of Del Webb when he was owner (or part owner) of the Yankees - he said "to me a great game is when we jump out to a big lead and then add to it every inning. It's the only way I can truly relax and enjoy the game!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey 6p00e55005f9c78834 ...how are you doing this evening?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Few are truly educated anymore.

    In the Classics, the Canon of Western Civilization, our religious traditions, our history.

    Without that informed debate is impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Running Bare - I take it you're a Buc's fan?!

    Bite your tongue, man! If I were a Buc's fan, I'd have been rooting for the Gints in that game!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey Sage! NO - PROTEIN DRINKS ARE NOT FOOD! They are (usually crappy tasting) drinks. Well except around certain Jewish Holidays and all, then they are food!
    ;')

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey Sage! NO - PROTEIN DRINKS ARE NOT FOOD! They are (usually crappy tasting) drinks. Well except around certain Jewish Holidays and all, then they are food!
    ;')


    Okay, now I'm totally confused.
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anyway, sorry I've been away all day. I'm a terrible host LOL. And with that, I must bid you all adieu until morning.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Is beer a protein drink? It has good stuff, barley, hops, yeast.........

    ReplyDelete
  41. " If I were a Buc's fan, I'd have been rooting for the Gints in that game!"

    You know, that almost made sense to me and, like PBJ, I'm VERY TIRED so I'm off to sleep!
    Have a great evening/early mornng y'all and I hope I get the chance to see you all down the road, probably tomorrow (or today for us East Coasters)afternoon, as I have early apointmens today!

    Good night, all!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Okay, now I'm totally confused.
    :(


    Basically it means that you are going to Hell, and there aint' a damned thing you can do about it. Eating on Yom Kipper... the nerve. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Good night, all! And to my friends observing Yom Kipper, *insert whatever the correct thing to say to someone observing it is here*!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Dear G-d....

    Seahawks in Lime Green?!

    With fashion like that they deserved to lose!

    My eyes, my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  45. 'Nite Realwest and Running Bear. Have a great day tomorrow, both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Sage, I guess it's technically a drink. Really.

    Is it all right to drink milk?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Good night guys.

    I'll be scheduling a news thread for 8:00AM PST - feel free to draw all over it, Bare : )...you too, JCM!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Is it all right to drink milk?

    I don't know CC, I'm lactose intolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Well Sage - hadda come back to help you out, my old friend!
    IF the Protein Drink is like "Ensure" - thick and creamy so thick you could chew it, then it's food; if it's a Protein Drink which may be colored water,with a TON of vitamins and minerals
    supposedly floating around in it, then it's not food - and yes, you may refer to me as an "Expert"* in these matters!

    * course,calling me that will be a lie, but you're such a good person, that no one will dare doubt you!!

    Now goodnight, all!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I was just sayin' night to RB....

    I've got a pile of laundry I'm sorting...

    ReplyDelete
  51. I've been drinking the Muscle Milk RW.

    I'm thinking it's alright.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks for remindin me JCM. Need to get stuff out of the dryer and put another load in.

    ReplyDelete
  53. "I know Weinstein's parents were upset, but it sounded so made-up. I mean, Yom Kippur...."
    -The Simpsons, Principal Skinner on the phone with Superintendent Chalmers

    ReplyDelete
  54. If milk is a drink, then so is a protein drink.

    It's a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  55. "I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."

    -- U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

    ReplyDelete
  56. I am out. See all of you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Folks, things are pretty slow, so I think we'll be shutting down at midnight PST; there won't be any fruit cup tonight, as littleoldlady is observing Yom Kippur with her loved ones.

    We will re-open comments at approximately 8:00AM PST/11:00AM EST tomorrow morning.

    Just letting you know - last call for comments. : )

    ReplyDelete